Considering Oceania

We are considering Oceania for the first time (Vista for ~3 or 4 weeks) but from reading many of these posts it seems like those have cruised her repeatedly are disappointed on the current product and direction it seems to be headed in. We would be coming from Celebrity (Retreat suites) and looking for a less hectic experience (meaning less people) and a higher crew to passenger ratio for the service and amenities but maybe that is not necessarily the case on Oceania anymore? We are early and late 60's, would we be considered part of the "younger crowd" with limited choices on getting a cocktail or listening to some music later into the evening? So, am interested in thoughts on the recent/current overall experience those have been having and what we should likely expect. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

• Thanks 1

We're a little older than you. I'm 69 and my husband is 72.  We've been very pleased with our Oceania experiences.  We've found that cocktails are easy to get.  We (meaning I) usually get one in the afternoon by the pool.  We almost always go the Happy Hour when drinks are two for one.  We prefer to eat later, about 7:30 or 8:00 and then head up to Horizons to listen to the band and maybe dance a little.  We are not into the shows they provide but I know some folks enjoy them very much.  Drink service later in the evening is always available and they also have a Happy Hour later in the evening.

We've never felt crowded on board and always have received good service.  Of course we've run into a few glitches but never anything that ruined our cruise.  Although six days in quarantine for Covid came pretty close although we did have fun on the rest of the cruise.  

The food is very good with a nice variety and we've met some very nice people.  We have cruised with Celebrity and had a great time but that was 11 years ago and I know things change.

I hope this helps a little.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We sailed on Vista last Winter for 30 days and loved it......lots of things to do around the ship.  In the evenings there are several places to enjoy a cocktail and music (Martinis with a piano, Horizons with a live band and the Grand Foyer with a string quartet).  Not all playing at the same time.  The newer ships have a much different atmosphere than the older R ships so that can make a difference in the comments,  Also, remember, that the percentage of people that post on here is just a very small portion of the actual people sailing and those that are dissatisfied with O are the most vocal.   As with any product and social media, the satisfied customer hardly ever post while the dissatisfied post often and loudly...go with an open mind and plan on having a great time and you will!  That is the only way you will know if O is a good fit for you...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

We are considering Oceania for the first time (Vista for ~3 or 4 weeks) but from reading many of these posts it seems like those have cruised her repeatedly are disappointed on the current product and direction it seems to be headed in. We would be coming from Celebrity (Retreat suites) and looking for a less hectic experience (meaning less people) and a higher crew to passenger ratio for the service and amenities but maybe that is not necessarily the case on Oceania anymore? We are early and late 60's, would we be considered part of the "younger crowd" with limited choices on getting a cocktail or listening to some music later into the evening? So, am interested in thoughts on the recent/current overall experience those have been having and what we should likely expect. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Did you notice any of the positive comments, or just focus on the negative? I'd keep away from the review section here, but I know what to expect from the product, so really don't need to read about it. I can see why someone new would though. 

Truly, I've read comments from others on the same cruise as I'm on, and I'd swear we were on completely different ships. But, I don't go looking for every little thing I can find wrong, I go on vacation to have a good time. 

I've never been in the Retreat on Celebrity, I don't see the value, but I've been on plenty of cruises with them in other rooms. I like Celebrity, but it's a completely different product. I would recommend giving Oceania a try and seeing how it suits you. Hundreds of people a week going on them can't be all wrong. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JDPCruisers said:

We are considering Oceania for the first time (Vista for ~3 or 4 weeks) but from reading many of these posts it seems like those have cruised her repeatedly are disappointed on the current product and direction it seems to be headed in. We would be coming from Celebrity (Retreat suites) and looking for a less hectic experience (meaning less people) and a higher crew to passenger ratio for the service and amenities....

I would consider more than just Vista! Or Allura. There are 6 other ships.

We've sailed on Riviera for 30 nights since 12/2021's 10 nights & 20 more nights 10-11/2023 and 10 nights on Sirena (11/2022). I was just 58 on the first cruise. I'll be almost 61 when we do 22 more nights on Sirena 8-9/2024. My wife is 2 1/2 years younger.

YES, you will get a less hectic experience on all of O's ships, but the least hectic on the 4 small Rs (e.g., Sirena). The two O-class ships (Marina & Riviera) and now Vista (later Allura) have twice the passenger capacity.

We had just 719 passengers and 780 crew on Riviera 12/2021, during COVID and we were treated like royalty. BUT we had over 1230 passengers on Riviera on our 20-night B2B in 2023 and we still felt like we were treated outstandingly. And we felt the same on Sirena, when she had about 635 passengers.

Just do NOT expect a lot of nightlife. Things are pretty quiet in the evenings. But we like that as we cruise on port-intensive cruises, getting up 1st thing to be off as early as we can to spend the entire day ashore where possible.

• Like 1

Never been on Celebrity, so I can’t compare, but have sailed on all O’s ships, and most recently Vista.  We thought it was lovely, and step up from their other ships.  It didn’t ever feel crowded, the food very good.  We didn’t like Ember,  perhaps our choice of menu, and found it very loud.  That’s our only ‘complaint’ otherwise, we’ve always really enjoyed our time on board.  The age demographic depends on the cruise, often a slightly older crowd when departing from Miami, but you won’t be considered part of the younger crowd, sorry 😁  We’re not that bothered about the entertainment, so we’re not looking for Las Vegas type productions on board, but have mainly enjoyed what we have seen.  There are things going on in the evenings, just check the Currents to see what’s happening.  

We choose O because we like the atmosphere and consistency of the product, is it perfect, no, what is, but it suits us.

• Like 1

We are long-time Celebrity cruisers (Elite-Plus) with more than 20. We left because they left us. All the standards went down. Our last cruise with them someone at the table sent back food pretty much every night. We gave up and have moved here (Oceania) or to Viking Ocean. We like both very much.

We did 14 nights on Vista last fall and found that much of what people are saying here is true. The only two caveats for me were that even though you could find a lounge for a pre or post dinner drink and entertainment, it was next to impossible to find a lounge where you could get a drink and have a conversation. They need to leave one venue open for people who want to talk and not be drowned out by music. 

The other thing that we noticed was that on Vista, if you aren't in your stateroom (outside, verandah or suite) you can't see the ocean until you are on at least deck 12. So if you are on deck 5 and want to step outside and see what the weather is like, good luck? I guess I just miss a verandah deck. It's one of the things we love about Viking. You can see the sea from just about anywhere on the ship. 

Lastly, if you like small ships, the four smaller ships are very nice but the staterooms are tiny. If you do one of those and you are a big person, (I am 6'2" and my brother is 6'8" and we can't fit in the showers.) The ships are more than 20 years old and it shows. 

Give it a try. It is much closer to the old Celebrity than the current Celebrity.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Many O regulars were previously Celebtity cruisers who jumped ship and never looked back.

We’ve got almost 500 nights on O ships (more than 100 of them since post-Covid restart; and we have several future multi-segments already booked in 2025-26). 

As for the age demographic on O, it varies with the itinerary. Cruises under 3 weeks to the Med or island locations draw a “younger” crowd of not-yet-retired folks (and are extremely popular with college alumni groups) while longer cruise (> one month) will see more 60+ passengers. BTW, on Alaska cruises during summer school vacation, O even has a kids program.

Plenty of places to grab a cocktail in the evening - even with post nightly show dancing available in Horizons. There’s also a pianist in Martini’s.

As for your other concerns: even O’s two newest ships are under 1200 passengers with the same excellent crew and space ratios we have enjoyed for more than a decade. Add stellar service and meals considered by several leading food publications to be the Finest Cuisine @ Sea and Celebrity will become a distant memory quickly.

All this said, it still remains that the only way you’ll find out if O is a good fit for you is to try it. 

• Like 2

I truly appreciate all of the feedback! While we do not focus on the negative posts (have had plenty of those over at Celebrity, too, but our experiences have been overwhelmingly positive.) but seems to be a number of them on CC for Oceania so all of your positive comments are helpful.

We're thinking to begin on one the larger ships (Vista) in order to test the water to see if we enjoy the experience. 

Does Oceania offer beverage packages (alcohol) in addition to simply MORE, I can't see to find that on their website? 

5 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

We're thinking to begin on one the larger ships (Vista) in order to test the water to see if we enjoy the experience. 

I think that would be the right decision for you. We've done three cruises with O in recent years (Marina, Nautica and Vista) and have another booked for next year (Vista). Whilst we enjoyed Nautica and would sail on the smaller ships again, we prefer the greater feeling of space on the larger ships, together with the extra restaurants. But I'd reckon that the general ambiance is pretty much the same regardless of size. I'm sure you will have read other threads and already be forming  your own impressions of how well an O cruise will suit you.

18 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

Does Oceania offer beverage packages (alcohol) in addition to simply MORE, I can't see to find that on their website? 

Yes.  There is a Prestige Select package which adds cocktails and you can order drinks at any time not just lunch and dinner.  Currently, it costs $30 per day/per person and I think I have read that both people are not required to do the upgrade.   

• Like 2

JDPCruisers, you are able to upgrade the beverages included in Simply More for I believe $30 pp per day.  We are longtime Celebrity Retreat cruisers as well going on our first O cruise in September on the Riviera. I have been unable to upgrade online but from what I have read on CC it is quick and easy to do onboard.   Our first cruise post pandemic was on Crystal prior to their demise.   Everything was superior to Celebrity and we found we enjoyed a smaller ship.  We are hoping to love O just as much!

9 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

Yes.  There is a Prestige Select package which adds cocktails and you can order drinks at any time not just lunch and dinner.  Currently, it costs $30 per day/per person and I think I have read that both people are not required to do the upgrade.   

Thank you. That is certainly a better offer than Celebrity. 

9 minutes ago, NCHPcruiser said:

JDPCruisers, you are able to upgrade the beverages included in Simply More for I believe $30 pp per day.  We are longtime Celebrity Retreat cruisers as well going on our first O cruise in September on the Riviera. I have been unable to upgrade online but from what I have read on CC it is quick and easy to do onboard.   Our first cruise post pandemic was on Crystal prior to their demise.   Everything was superior to Celebrity and we found we enjoyed a smaller ship.  We are hoping to love O just as much!

Thanks. We're Elite+ Retreat cruisers and the itineraries are appealing to us on O, as well as the overnight ports (Bordeaux for instance). I can't see to find where you can upgrade the beverage package online, either. Look forward to hearing about your first O experience should you find time to share on CC. We're looking at late Aug/early Sept 2025 on Vista PH2 (PH3 is on a Guarantee now) for a London to London/London to Barcelona B2B. 

1 hour ago, JDPCruisers said:

I can't see to find where you can upgrade the beverage package online, either.

That's because there is not an option for that. I have no idea why not. Priorities of their IT dept maybe. It really is no problem to do once onboard, or I think you can either have your TA do it or call in yourself. 

When we do upgrade we usually wait a few days into the cruise. Second day is usually Captain's Party, which will give you free drinks in a few bars for about 3 hours. And not just the punch and lousy wine they've pre-poured, you can request almost anything within reason. 

Then there are First timers parties a few days into the cruise, and for Repeaters there is a repeaters party. For either one there are free drinks for approximately an hour. 

You also have the liberal non published policy of allowing customers to bring on anything they want, in any port. Only request is to consume in your room, or if wine pay the corkage fee is consumed in a public area. 

If you wait until 4 or 5 days in to the cruise to upgrade, you only pay for the remaining days. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

That's because there is not an option for that. I have no idea why not. Priorities of their IT dept maybe. It really is no problem to do once onboard, or I think you can either have your TA do it or call in yourself. 

When we do upgrade we usually wait a few days into the cruise. Second day is usually Captain's Party, which will give you free drinks in a few bars for about 3 hours. And not just the punch and lousy wine they've pre-poured, you can request almost anything within reason. 

Then there are First timers parties a few days into the cruise, and for Repeaters there is a repeaters party. For either one there are free drinks for approximately an hour. 

You also have the liberal non published policy of allowing customers to bring on anything they want, in any port. Only request is to consume in your room, or if wine pay the corkage fee is consumed in a public area. 

If you wait until 4 or 5 days in to the cruise to upgrade, you only pay for the remaining days. 

Thank you, this is very helpful to know.

10 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

I truly appreciate all of the feedback! While we do not focus on the negative posts (have had plenty of those over at Celebrity, too, but our experiences have been overwhelmingly positive.) but seems to be a number of them on CC for Oceania so all of your positive comments are helpful.

They have an upgrade beverage package.    At least for me the prices are incorrect on their website  and told I need to call in to book or wait and book once on board.

Upgrade from the House Select beverage package included with our simply MORE offer to enjoy unlimited premium spirits, Champagne, wine and beer wherever and whenever you wish for $30.00

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value  Choose - Drink Packages

When I log onto Manage my account they show the pre-Simply More pricing even though I booked with Simply More

image.thumb.png.b1497e7686207292aca8dff958e9dcf5.png

• Like 1

I think you can enjoy cruising on both cruise lines. For us each have their pros and cons and the variety/adds to the enjoyment.Last winter on Super Bowl Sunday we disembarked Vista in Miami and went directly to Port Everglades for a 7 nighter in a Sky Suite on Celebrity Ascent. Enjoyed both cruises. In July we are looking forward to 25 night cruise on Oceania Marina and in October we are doing 12 night Transatlantic on Celebrity Apex. Wishing you great cruising on Oceania or wherever you choose to spend your cruising vacations!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

They have an upgrade beverage package.    At least for me the prices are incorrect on their website  and told I need to call in to book or wait and book once on board.

Upgrade from the House Select beverage package included with our simply MORE offer to enjoy unlimited premium spirits, Champagne, wine and beer wherever and whenever you wish for $30.00

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value  Choose - Drink Packages

When I log onto Manage my account they show the pre-Simply More pricing even though I booked with Simply More

image.thumb.png.b1497e7686207292aca8dff958e9dcf5.png

There are still many folks who booked upcoming future cruises before SM booking started. The pricing you see is for folks who still have O Life or Cruise Only. It doesn’t adjust specifically to your booking status. 

16 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There are still many folks who booked upcoming future cruises before SM booking started. The pricing you see is for folks who still have O Life or Cruise Only. It doesn’t adjust specifically to your booking status. 

I realized that but in my humble opinion ---- - Is this anyway to run a company.   It doesn't take programming genius to have the correct amount for those booked under SM.   It is just they choose to put their head in the sand. 

I'm underwhelmed with Oceania Website.    Another example -- I had an excursion booked and they dropped the port.   There is not way to cancel an excursion online -   To cancel I had to call 2 times.   First time was told to wait 7-10 days and see if Oceania Cancels it automatically and if it doesn't --- call back .

We had just 3 prior cruises on Celebrity, then jumped post-Covid to Oceania.  One cruise on the Riviera (amazing!) and then this past January on Vista.  We LOVED the Vista!!  This style suits us better - small, more intimate ship, specialty restaurants included, etc.  Never found either ship to be over-crowded, even when getting off for excursions.  We have one more booked on Vista, and also a future cruise credit on a yet to be booked cruise.  Give it a try!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DENIE said:

We had just 3 prior cruises on Celebrity, then jumped post-Covid to Oceania.  One cruise on the Riviera (amazing!) and then this past January on Vista.  We LOVED the Vista!!  This style suits us better - small, more intimate ship, specialty restaurants included, etc.  Never found either ship to be over-crowded, even when getting off for excursions.  We have one more booked on Vista, and also a future cruise credit on a yet to be booked cruise.  Give it a try!

What benefits do you get for booking on board or purchasing a certificate to book  once home.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

What benefits do you get for booking on board

A relatively small, but worthwhile, discount from the web advertised fare. A similar amount offered as onboard credit (can be used on the existing or booked cruise - we chose existing). A much smaller deposit than usual. The opportunity to transfer the booking to the travel agency of your choice (allowing them to "take care" of an existing customer and offering the opportunity for further discount negotiation). I'm sure there are other small benefits but these are ones I particularly recall. 

Edited by Harters
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Harters said:

A much smaller deposit than usual.

Keep in mind that the upper suites have the 20% deposit clause. I think Jim usually books these. But the discount increases the more expensive room you book. For example, the top is 20 to 35 day cruise in an Owner's, Oceania or VIsta will get you $1500 off. Keep in mind not all cruises will be eligible for the discount. 

Edited by ORV

We are in a similar position, I think. E+ on Celebrity and have our first O cruise booked for November 2025, a TA on Vista. We enjoy the entertainment on X so have similar concerns with O. But, we will never know if we don’t try it. 

We haven’t discarded X, just a little more selective. Prices have jumped a lot on Retreat so we bargain hunt. Found a decent deal in November 2024, January 2026 and April 2026, all under $400pppd for Retreat.  Trying HAL and O in 2025. 

Also searching SS and Viking to try them out too, although SS prices have jumped a lot in the past couple months so they have moved off the front burner for us. 

We are looking forward to trying something different.

mac_tlc

• Like 1