Scam or just illegal?

pzsdd6

I quit traveling with Carnival several years ago for many obvious reasons, extremely poor customer service being the biggest issue. Several weeks ago I was talked into booking a cruise with some friends. One of my friends started working for Carnival about a year ago and now gets employee discounts on Carnival and Princess. They all know that I won’t cruise on Carnival! ( Diamond on Carnival). So they talked me into trying Princess again. Only one other on Princess and that was back in 2006.

Booked on Enchanted Princess for 7/6, added premiere package which includes 2 specialty dinners. Long story but we were encouraged to make dining reservations ahead of time because the desirable times book up early. So we did, and lo and behold, Princess charged my credit card for the specialty dining. Should be simple to correct you would think……not so with Princess.

They tell me they can’t refund the charges because the “package” hasn’t been activated yet. They said I have to wait till the cruise starts and then go and request my refund. Am I the only one that thinks this is wrong? 
To me this is just another illegal scam run by Princess to get your money ahead of time. Think of this in larger terms, Princess books thousands of cruises like this, if they do this to enough people, it’s an interest free loan for Princess. They keep all of our money tied up for months while they sit on it, use it and collect interest on it! 
Just an additional thought……..

if Princess cares as much as they say about their customers, then why is it that when you call to book a cruise, the call is routed to a U.S. based vacation planner, they answer almost immediately, they take your money immediately, but if you have a concern or problem, most of which are caused by Princess, they route you to some third world country call center that takes sometimes hours to answer, answered by someone that can barely speak English and most times can’t answer your questions or solve your concerns. Then they tell you it will take anywhere from 90 to 120 days to get a refund. Once again they sit on your money to use as their own.

• Like 2

That’s the way it works.  You can take your chance and wait until you board to book the Specialty dining.

Did you get a fantastic friend’s discount?

• Like 1

Unfortunately, not enough to deal with this kind of foolishness. Tying my money up for 5 months or more for something that is a simple programming fix.

When I booked there was an option to either pay for it or have it count as one of your included specialty dinners.

They always say 90-120 days, but that’s just CYA, most often it’s the next billing cycle. Even if it is that long, is the few dollars you might lose on not having that $150 or so invested really worth fretting over?

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

We are also sailing on Enchanted with the Premier package.  Booked two specialty restaurants and the app acknowledged that the reservations were included in the package and I was not prompted to pay.

Apparently, it does not work for everyone and we don’t know why.  It’s a known glitch in the app and Princess seems unable to fix it.  However, most people have reported that once onboard the could make the reservations with no charge or pre-pay on the app prior to sailing.  Most people have received the payment back as OBC or chose a refund to their credit card.  Personally, I would pre-pay and make the reservations.  

The call centre is definitely an issue.  I have a Princess Cruise Vacation Planner, who takes care of everything for me, and I’ve never had to call the general reservations line.  A good travel agent can also get things done on your behalf.  No charge for either a TA or CVP.  I suggest you avail yourself of their services.  Refunds are generally processed in a couple of weeks, not months.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

To me this is just another illegal scam run by Princess to get your money ahead of time. Think of this in larger terms, Princess books thousands of cruises like this, if they do this to enough people, it’s an interest free loan for Princess. They keep all of our money tied up for months while they sit on it, use it and collect interest on it! 

This is how I felt about the FCC we built up in the pandemic.  We had a lot of it.  We were thanked upon their return by the nightmare that was DMW, the glitchy app that didn't work consistently for me, on or off the ship, reduced or eliminated Elite benefits, and a nickel-and-dime operation in overtime.  We decided to jump ship (pun intended) when we used up the FCC, which took awhile and three cruises to do.  Since I have been assured that some things have improved in the last year or so, we might be back, but I still have a sour taste in my mouth about all that money of mine they used interest free.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Definitely illegal. Carnival Corp CEO Josh Weinstein could even end up in jail for enabling this crime. 

Hopefully you’ll get your money back in a timely fashion. 

Edited by wcook
  • Haha 6

When you book dining on the App, you select the date, time,

specialty restaurant and move down to check the button…Princess premier included.

Did you see that?  Some say, they show a charge, but it drops off.  IDK about yours.  It is definitely a programming error.

Hopefully, yours will drop.  We always just call once OB, the dine line from the room and book.  But, we do long cruises and not a problem.  If this it a short cruise, then it could be an issue waiting till OB.

I do understand what you’re saying.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

We are also sailing on Enchanted with the Premier package.  Booked two specialty restaurants and the app acknowledged that the reservations were included in the package and I was not prompted to pay.

Apparently, it does not work for everyone and we don’t know why.  It’s a known glitch in the app and Princess seems unable to fix it.  However, most people have reported that once onboard the could make the reservations with no charge or pre-pay on the app prior to sailing.  Most people have received the payment back as OBC or chose a refund to their credit card.  Personally, I would pre-pay and make the reservations.  

The call centre is definitely an issue.  I have a Princess Cruise Vacation Planner, who takes care of everything for me, and I’ve never had to call the general reservations line.  A good travel agent can also get things done on your behalf.  No charge for either a TA or CVP.  I suggest you avail yourself of their services.  Refunds are generally processed in a couple of weeks, not months.

And there you have it folks!

Thank you for your comments. 
I was told by several people that know, Princess does this on purpose. They want to give it back to you as OBC so that you will spend it on the ship, that way they make money 2 ways. They go out of their way to make it difficult. Not that this is anything new but it’s all about the money, they get it up front as much as possible and then make it a pure nightmare to get your money back. Some things never change.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kay S said:

This is how I felt about the FCC we built up in the pandemic.  We had a lot of it.  We were thanked upon their return by the nightmare that was DMW, the glitchy app that didn't work consistently for me, on or off the ship, reduced or eliminated Elite benefits, and a nickel-and-dime operation in overtime.  We decided to jump ship (pun intended) when we used up the FCC, which took awhile and three cruises to do.  Since I have been assured that some things have improved in the last year or so, we might be back, but I still have a sour taste in my mouth about all that money of mine they used interest free.

Stick to your guns, they are still stink!
Try Celebrity, that’s where we have been for the past 4 years, not a single problem or regret.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pzsdd6 said:

I was told by several people that know, Princess does this on purpose. They want to give it back to you as OBC so that you will spend it on the ship, that way they make money 2 ways. They go out of their way to make it difficult. Not that this is anything new but it’s all about the money, they get it up front as much as possible and then make it a pure nightmare to get your money back. Some things never change.

I know it seems that way, but since most people use the app successfully, such as myself, and others requested OBC because they wanted tu use it onboard or requested a refund to their cc.  Princess does not force OBC on anyone.  I would not be looking for conspiracy theories.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

At the end of the day, as posted above, it’s not life or death or anything close.

It just frosts my you know what’s, that 1) they think we are fools and won’t notice, 2) they do it because they can get away with it and there’s nothing we can do because of their cruise contract. My only hope is that karma bites them all good and hard!

3 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

Stick to your guns, they are still stink!
Try Celebrity, that’s where we have been for the past 4 years, not a single problem or regret.

We’re re Elite+ with Celebrity and I know that they also have issues with some things.  No cruiseline is perfect, even the luxury lines have problems.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. I don't believe that they "do this on purpose" since it works for some and not others. I just booked SD dining a couple of days ago and it worked for me. I was booked with Premier. This *has* been an issue for some time now.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I know it seems that way, but since most people use the app successfully, such as myself, and others requested OBC because they wanted tu use it onboard or requested a refund to their cc.  Princess does not force OBC on anyone.  I would not be looking for conspiracy theories.  

No conspiracy theories.

It’s just slimy business practice. Princess may not force OBC on anyone, but when given the choice of instant OBC or wait a potential 90 or 120 days for a refund, most will choose the OBC. Princess plays the numbers, each OBC is just additional cash flow for them.

Once again, I hope karma bites down hard!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

At the end of the day, as posted above, it’s not life or death or anything close.

It just frosts my you know what’s, that 1) they think we are fools and won’t notice, 2) they do it because they can get away with it and there’s nothing we can do because of their cruise contract. My only hope is that karma bites them all good and hard!

Why don’t you try using the app again.  Follow right to the end.  You may see the payment requirement  just fall off before entering your credit card #.

• Like 1

It’s not clear who you booked with and encouraged you to book speciality dinners in advance a TA or call center or CVP. Specialty dinners never sell out in advance they always leave tables open to be booked on board.  If you are talking about MDR then yes they book very early. We eat around 7:30 and have never had a problem with booking even the same day. Also was it your friend who sold you a premier package for $80 per day per person ?  Specialty dinners are no more than $39 per meal. You are likely paying for the ability to have high end wines. If you drink normal cocktails you probably could have got by with the plus package. Were you given options ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

No conspiracy theories.

It’s just slimy business practice. Princess may not force OBC on anyone, but when given the choice of instant OBC or wait a potential 90 or 120 days for a refund, most will choose the OBC. Princess plays the numbers, each OBC is just additional cash flow for them.

Once again, I hope karma bites down hard!

Since you are already so resentful, I’m concerned that it will affect your total enjoyment of your cruise.  I would try to calm down and relax.  Please try the app again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Since you are already so resentful, I’m concerned that it will affect your total enjoyment of your cruise.  I would try to calm down and relax.  Please try the app again.

Not to worry, not resentful nor would I let it ruin a great time with friends. I was just hopeful that they would be different or better than Carnival, so disappointed in them.

I just hate that customers have to deal with issues like this that are easily avoidable and don’t have to be made worse by poor management decisions. Makes me so angry!

• Like 1

Traveling with another couple and we were able to book one speciality (for four) but they used my package. The system wouldn’t let the other couple book for four using their credits. We could do 2- tables for 2, but not four. IT at its finest. I used the chat feature, we never went ahead and paid for the included specialties, and the agent was able to book 4 for our time without charging. Yes, we double, tripled checked and it’s there no charge. Try chat. I wouldn’t on a holiday weekend as it may be new agents but I have had great success using it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tulok said:

Traveling with another couple and we were able to book one speciality (for four) but they used my package. The system wouldn’t let the other couple book for four using their credits. We could do 2- tables for 2, but not four. IT at its finest. I used the chat feature, we never went ahead and paid for the included specialties, and the agent was able to book 4 for our time without charging. Yes, we double, tripled checked and it’s there no charge. Try chat. I wouldn’t on a holiday weekend as it may be new agents but I have had great success using it. 

Good advice!

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try the chat……I guess it the weekend staff because they were even less helpful. Apparently everyone who works the chat desk or customer service is a CEO or VP. because every time I ask to elevate this to a manager or supervisor, I’m told there is no one higher to speak with………hard to imagine………smh

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

Or they have a limitation with their systems and they have problem 1, where if people wait to book and can not get the times they want for their included specialty dining times or they tell people to book them in advance, but have to charge when the reservations are made. Then refund the charges in refundable OBC. 

Take your choice on which one you want to complain about.

They did try to  allow them to be booked without charge in the past, but have run into issues.

The problem is the architecture of the Princess systems.  The package is tracked by the shipboard system, which is different from the App db system  and the HQ system. As I said above they tried to integrate this when the app came out but ran into problems between the two.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Or they have a limitation with their systems and they have problem 1, where if people wait to book and can not get the times they want for their included specialty dining times or they tell people to book them in advance, but have to charge when the reservations are made. Then refund the charges in refundable OBC. 

Take your choice on which one you want to complain about.

They did try to  allow them to be booked without charge in the past, but have run into issues.

The problem is the architecture of the Princess systems.  The package is tracked by the shipboard system, which is different from the App db system  and the HQ system. As I said above they tried to integrate this when the app came out but ran into problems between the two.

I appreciate your viewpoint, however after being in engineering and IT for my entire career, a problem as obvious as this one and the fact that it’s as well know and for quite some time, should have been resolved, and if it hasn’t, then it’s done on purpose.