Temper My Disappointment Please

Posted (edited)

Hello all, first post. Almost a year ago my girlfriend and I (new cruisers) started researching Alaskan cruises and narrowed the selection to Princess and Holland America for the Glacier Bay passage. Princess seemed to beat out Holland America in every respect that we were interested in except one...the music. That was enough to pick Holland over Princess even with the convenience of the OceanNow deliveries and the better technology. 

I just paid the final balance due on our September departure and saw that B.B. King's is no longer a venue and there doesn't seem to be any mention of the live classical music that I would've sworn was going to be involved in showings of BBC Earth. As a FYI, B.B. King's was the venue I wanted to visit the most. 

I know changes happen but I can't help but feel like I've fallen for some type of bait and switch and my disappointment level is off the charts with only a few months left before sailing. I hate the thought of going into a a week-long cruise with the feeling that I'm unhappy and regretting my decision to pick Holland. I'd really appreciate any words of advice that folks may be willing to offer to get me into a better headspace. Thanks. 

Edited by CountsByFives
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

What ship are you sailing?  Take a deep breath and count to 100 (byFives). It will be okay.

Bait and switch seems to be a term that gets thrown around pretty liberally. I'm pretty certain HAL didn't say we will tell everyone (years in advance) that they will get BB Kings and then we will pull it from them and think boy we fooled them.

Ships sail 24/7/365, things change, prices go up. I'm certain you will not be disappointed in your choice. But I am a HAL apologist (another term thrown around)

Edited by colin v
grammar
  • Like 10

With all that typing I managed to miss the name of the ship. It's the Eurodam departing from Seattle. 

I know it's not an intentional bait and switch but I just feel extremely let down. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We will be on the Eurodam in July and was also disappointed to learn that BB King's was no longer on board.  I was disappointed because I love me some good Jazz and Blues!  But I have heard good things about Rolling Stone Lounge and very good things about Billboard Onboard.  I can only speak for myself, but the biggest reason we are going on this cruise is for Alaska, not one onboard bar.  This will also be my 1st cruise on HAL, having typically cruised on NCL and Royal, so a part of me is worried if we (particularly my 19 year old son) will be bored.  

But for me, the star of the show is Alaska.  And from everything I have read, HAL does Alaska better than anyone.  So I say give it a chance. You might be surprised by how much you enjoy the cruise even without BB Kings.  

Also, FWIW, I do hear the orchestra still plays live for the BBC Earth show, but someone who has been on Eurodam recently can confirm or deny that.    

Edited by JMB1969
  • Like 5

Thankfully the BBC Earth shows have been missing from my last several cruises (Eurodam, Rotterdam, Nieuw Amsterdam). They were nicely done, but they've been out for years and so many of us have seen them multiple times they're not missed! Many people have commented (rightfully so) that they would have been more appropriate as a daytime/afternoon activity vs the evening's show. 

I haven't been on a ship with the Rolling Stone Lounge yet but expect to enjoy it when I do. Missing the classical music is a real loss - that was done so well on all the HAL ships, but now we won't see it on the shorter cruises apparently. Well, until HAL changes things up again some day!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

CountsByFives - When we were on the Oosterdam for 3 weeks there was fabulous live music in the Ocean Bar. Maybe there will be something similar on the Eurodam. The area became more crowded as the cruise went on because they were so enjoyable. I totally understand your disappointment in not having BB Kings.  Enjoy your cruise.  Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, talpostal said:

What changed on ships that went from BB Kings to Rolling Stone? Did they swap R&B bands for classic rock?

It was announced last year that BB King band would not be on HAL (except Pinnacle ships). As of January the other ships were converting BB King to Rock Room but combining some of the songs. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, talpostal said:

What changed on ships that went from BB Kings to Rolling Stone? Did they swap R&B bands for classic rock?

Basically yes, both bands played a variety of music. The Rolling Stone band plays mostly classic rock you are correct.  

While we've enjoyed BB's, Rolling Stone and Ocean Bar have not disappointed us once. Of course, musicians do change out, but we've found them to be constantly good.

We have been disappointed recently on K'dam and NS w/Billboard Onboard, but I understand there have been changes (single vs dual performers) that might impact our opinion. 

As others have said, AK is the star and HAL does a very good job.

We were last in AK on Eurodam April / May 2023 and throughly enjoyed it. I hope your cruise is just as fabulous. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, talpostal said:

Recently sailed on the Westerdam to Alaska. There, in the Rolling Stone Lounge (formerly called BB King's), the band played a wide variety of music. In each daily program, it listed the times for each set, and the "theme" for that set. For example, one set would be classic rock, another the disco era, another classic R & B, another on the 80's, another would be an acoustic set, etc. etc. They even had one country set. So you can decide in advance if you want to attend. 

Also, in the Ocean Bar, they now have a very good 3 piece (electric guitar, stand up bass, piano) band play instrumental jazz type music almost every night, and they were very good. 

I also say go on your cruise with an open mind, enjoy the beauty of Alaska, don't overstress about the loss of a full time R & B venue (BB Kings) - I bet you will have a great time. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Alaska cruises are so port intensive, that for most passengers it is 'early to bed, early to rise'.

Isn’t that on every HAL cruise with the older clientele? Whereas MSC who we regularly cruise with a lot of the entertainment doesn’t start until 10pm going on until 2am

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, CountsByFives said:

Hello all, first post. Almost a year ago my girlfriend and I (new cruisers) started researching Alaskan cruises and narrowed the selection to Princess and Holland America for the Glacier Bay passage. Princess seemed to beat out Holland America in every respect that we were interested in except one...the music. That was enough to pick Holland over Princess even with the convenience of the OceanNow deliveries and the better technology. 

I just paid the final balance due on our September departure and saw that B.B. King's is no longer a venue and there doesn't seem to be any mention of the live classical music that I would've sworn was going to be involved in showings of BBC Earth. As a FYI, B.B. King's was the venue I wanted to visit the most. 

I know changes happen but I can't help but feel like I've fallen for some type of bait and switch and my disappointment level is off the charts with only a few months left before sailing. I hate the thought of going into a a week-long cruise with the feeling that I'm unhappy and regretting my decision to pick Holland. I'd really appreciate any words of advice that folks may be willing to offer to get me into a better headspace. Thanks. 

The most important part of an Alaskan cruise is the ports and how much time in each port.

I for one would never let music get in the way of making a good decision. Alaska is about the scenery and on board music should be the least of your concerns for this specific region.

I also feel that the Eurodam is just an ok ship. I would have recommended Princess over HAL.

But go and enjoy and then plan another one but not on HAL.  And even Royal has nice cruise tour packages as well as Celebrity that include Denali and upper part of Alaska.

• Like 1

The Rolling Stone Lounge band was exceptional on my recent cruise! Also, the guest entertainers in the main theater were very good as well. I was on a TA so not sure how that affected the amount of guest entertainment or not. One was a  fabulous violinist. 

Couple of things

The B.B. King bands are now only on the three newest ships; Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam VII. The four Vista (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Noordam) and two Signature-class ships (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam) now have the Rolling Stone Rock band.

We were on Eurodam about a month ago (San Diego to Vancouver, BC) and enjoyed the RS Rock band (2 female vocalists, one male vocalist/guitarist, a bass guitarist, a solo guitar, keyboard player, and drummer - no horns unlike the BB's) They played a good variety in their 3 nightly sets (one dark night) and had a lots of people on the dance floor in what they now call the Rolling Stone Lounge.

BBC Earth used to have the Lincoln Center Stage classical musicians playing alongside the awesome footage. Since Lincoln Center Stage left the dam ships, there have been no more BBC Earth showings as far as I know   

May be an image of 5 people 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

You'll have plenty of music choices.  No problem.  

But are they the right ones?  I can handle the changes, but DH is very bummed about the Lincoln Center dismissal, and the reports of classical music replacements have been hit or miss.

22 hours ago, CountsByFives said:

I know everyone's likes and disliked are different but I honestly think you still made the right choice. Princess's technology of the medallion really only works opening you door, just like your key card will with HAL.  The only difference is it will welcome you with you name near the door and unlock it on Princess.  The OceanNow and Medallion App to say it has problems is a huge understatement. Most are extremely frustrated with the app before they ever get on board the ship. I know of many that attempted to order things such as a drink never get them. Many have the Princess Plus and ordered in plenty of time for the Medallion but in recent months many are not getting them needing to get them at the pier. The ships have twice the number of passengers and often feel extremely crowded far more than HAL. Dining and getting reservations is a disaster,making pre cruise reservations is suppose to be easy on the app but it is not and many think they have reservations only to find they do not. One must just go with the flow and except that is what happens on Princess.I will not get into Food because of it being subjective but will state of the cruise lines I frequent Princess food is at the bottom(this is the main reason I currently do not have any Princess cruises booked (I currently have 7 cruises booked into 2026). Yes, I have cruised Princess a lot, I am Princess Elite with their frequent cruiser status which is far easier to achieve that HAL 4 Star or even 5 Star. Which falls into almost everyone on board is the highest status lol What I do like about Princess is their entertainment, I give them that, they have excellent shows but Princess has a very strange problem that I do not see often on other lines. Princess passengers are big on saving seats in the theater lol.Families will send a child or teen to go save two rows down front, just one time I seen this happen  with HAL, I said to the lady saving seats.."Oh you must be a Princess Cruiser" She looked surprised then smiled and said Why Yes how did you know?" I just told her she looked familiar.

After my long story above I just want to say that I think you will have an excellent time, HAL really does do the best of all the cruise lines that sail Alaska. The key with whatever cruise you go on is to go with a positive attitude and not let things bother you. You are there to enjoy the cruise. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

BBC Earth used to have the Lincoln Center Stage classical musicians playing alongside the awesome footage. Since Lincoln Center Stage left the dam ships, there have been no more BBC Earth showings as far as I know   

Just my opinion, maybe, but doing a show that's basically a TV show with added soothing classical music after everyone in the audience has stuffed themselves at dinner, just makes it "nap time", not really a show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Just my opinion, maybe, but doing a show that's basically a TV show with added soothing classical music after everyone in the audience has stuffed themselves at dinner, just makes it "nap time", not really a show.

I never saw the point to it either- for me, adding a few live musicians to a canned background track, or the recorded track for the “missing” instruments added nothing to the track, and meant that Adagio didn’t perform that night.

And also for me, the advent of LCS was a negative in that there was less classical music, much of it was in the afternoon, and it was the same performance repeated at each performance on a given day. When Adagio was in Explorers Lounge it was 2-4 sets of different music each night. Big difference.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 12:23 PM, JMB1969 said:

On 5/29/2024 at 12:23 PM, JMB1969 said:

the biggest reason we are going on this cruise is for Alaska, not one onboard bar.  This will also be my 1st cruise on HAL, having typically cruised on NCL and Royal, so a part of me is worried if we (particularly my 19 year old son) will be bored.  

If Alaska is the biggest reason you booked the cruise, why would you be bored ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2024 at 12:09 PM, CountsByFives said:

I just paid the final balance due on our September departure and saw that B.B. King's is no longer a venue and there doesn't seem to be any mention of the live classical music that I would've sworn was going to be involved in showings of BBC Earth. As a FYI, B.B. King's was the venue I wanted to visit the most... 

Yes, I can understand how disappointed you are. I suppose that you would have booked on Princess if you had known that HAL would cancel the music program.

It is what it is. HAL is in transition. We can only hope that at the end, HAL is still recognizable. 😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I never saw the point to it either- for me, adding a few live musicians to a canned background track, or the recorded track for the “missing” instruments added nothing to the track, and meant that Adagio didn’t perform that night.

And also for me, the advent of LCS was a negative in that there was less classical music, much of it was in the afternoon, and it was the same performance repeated at each performance on a given day. When Adagio was in Explorers Lounge it was 2-4 sets of different music each night. Big difference.

Absolutely right on ALL counts!!!  And before we had Adagio strings we had Rosario strings, same afternoon/evening schedules in Explorers Lounge.  Now ALL GONE!

• Like 1

There has been continuous disappointment on this board concerning music and entertainment on HAL ships.  Well, maybe people should try different lines after all.

I don't expect a whole lot in that arena, and most people read enough here to know that they should have low expectations. I sail for the itinerary and all else is a bonus, honestly. If the food is great, I'm happy, and if my stateroom is quiet, well, even better. Seems prices on everything are through the roof and I'm personally waiting to see if there is change after this election year.

• Like 1