Lanyards & luggage tags: S. Nova

BBGrace273

Posted (edited)

2 quick questions, everyone. I am looking to get a lanyard for my father for our cruise. Silversea DOES use keycards for the room locks, yes? Secondly, we are looking to ship our bags in advance using one of the companies like Luggage Forward. Do they usually deliver to the ship, or to us at the pier... or does it depend on which company you use, or which embarkation pier you are at?  And with that, I heard that Silversea DOESN'T give luggage tags in advance (anymore?) so how do we mark our bags? Just on our own? Is it still prudent to buy one of those larger clear plastic cruise luggage tags to mark our ship name and room number in case it is raining when we embark?  Thanks!

Edited by BBGrace273

Posted (edited)

Yes, cards are used for all brow, room and purchases aboard.

No idea how Silversea is working with luggage forwarding companies - sorry - haven't ever used them since we are usually in the port city for some days ahead of departure.

You can tag your own bags by printing the electronic version that comes in your e-ticket pdf file, and place them into widely available holders, or the porters on the pier will be glad to tag them for you on the spot.

Edit:  Trying to recall if they actually include the printable tags in the e-ticket these days.  I'm not recalling one clearly now.  Perhaps someone who has been on more recently will know.  But of course, you can always put ship name, departure date, and cabin number on paper for yourself.

Edited by canderson

1 hour ago, BBGrace273 said:

I am looking to get a lanyard for my father for our cruise.

Piggy-backing on this. I have a large selection of lanyards with different types of connections. How does the keycard attach to the lanyard? Do they punch a single round hole which requires a simple hole clip? Or is it an oblong cutout that a clip just attaches to? Or an oblong cutout that has a plastic piece that closes with a snap to hold the card.(I know that I'm not describing it well, but that is what we used at my office before I retired.) Or is it a different kind of connection that I can't think of. I have attached pictures of the 3 that I can think of.

connectors.jpg

connectors 2.jpg

2 hours ago, BBGrace273 said:

2 quick questions, everyone. I am looking to get a lanyard for my father for our cruise. Silversea DOES use keycards for the room locks, yes? Secondly, we are looking to ship our bags in advance using one of the companies like Luggage Forward. Do they usually deliver to the ship, or to us at the pier... or does it depend on which company you use, or which embarkation pier you are at?  And with that, I heard that Silversea DOESN'T give luggage tags in advance (anymore?) so how do we mark our bags? Just on our own? Is it still prudent to buy one of those larger clear plastic cruise luggage tags to mark our ship name and room number in case it is raining when we embark?  Thanks!

Just off the Silver Nova and unlike mass market lines, I didn't see one lanyard on Silversea. Not saying you can't wear one, just saying it's not common.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Just off the Silver Nova and unlike mass market lines, I didn't see one lanyard on Silversea. Not saying you can't wear one, just saying it's not common.

But it will be soon – among the Royals with free status...

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Probably true, but it will be super helpful for him to be able to keep track of it.  🙂

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Edit:  Trying to recall if they actually include the printable tags in the e-ticket these days.  I'm not recalling one clearly now.  Perhaps someone who has been on more recently will know.  But of course, you can always put ship name, departure date, and cabin number on paper for yourself.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I read that on here somewhere that there's no printable ticket anymore. I'll just do my own. Thanks for the info!

3 minutes ago, sea bright said:

There is no hole in the Silversea key card. It comes in a small wallet. I guess if you had a plastic sleeve on a lanyard you could insert it?? 

I'll have to think about it. Thanks.

Thoughts on a phone/wallet case that you can wear around your neck or crossbody? I know I'll always have my phone with me unless I'm going to the whirlpool or the pool. But in those cases I'll bring a small bag anyway for sunscreen, sunglasses, etc. 

Other ideas:

* Peak design phone case w/ wallet attachment, you still have to carry the phone. Though bonus is that you can stick the phone on any wall in the ship because it's magnetic 

* Small and lightweight packable sling / waist pack

9 hours ago, GrumpySushiBear said:

Thoughts on a phone/wallet case that you can wear around your neck or crossbody? I know I'll always have my phone with me unless I'm going to the whirlpool or the pool. But in those cases I'll bring a small bag anyway for sunscreen, sunglasses, etc. 

Other ideas:

* Peak design phone case w/ wallet attachment, you still have to carry the phone. Though bonus is that you can stick the phone on any wall in the ship because it's magnetic 

* Small and lightweight packable sling / waist pack

Ha, yeah, my dad forgets his phone all the time too! Already have magnetic hooks. Plan on sticking one in his room, right by the door, so he can always hang up his lanyard! But I do forsee some trips to guest services!

Before my cruise last year, I was thinking of wearing a lanyard where I would be able to have my phone and cruise ID all snugged together. On some searching in cruise critic, I was directed to this link in amazon that provided my want.

In Amazon, look for Gear Beast. Hopefully something there will help you.

1 hour ago, BBGrace273 said:

Ha, yeah, my dad forgets his phone all the time too! Already have magnetic hooks. Plan on sticking one in his room, right by the door, so he can always hang up his lanyard! But I do forsee some trips to guest services!

I have been known to put my key card in an envelope in the "mail slot" next to the door on the outside and use it to enter the suite.  Not the most secure way of doing things, but anything of value is put in the safe, so I'm not really worried.

2 hours ago, BBGrace273 said:

Haha oops! Maybe see if they are willing to make a spare key for you and keep that in your room for such occasions? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agape01 said:

Before my cruise last year, I was thinking of wearing a lanyard where I would be able to have my phone and cruise ID all snugged together. On some searching in cruise critic, I was directed to this link in amazon that provided my want.

In Amazon, look for Gear Beast. Hopefully something there will help you.

I decided to go with this one. A leatherette phone cover with long adjustable strap, and a single snap pocket for the keycard. 

I went for red since it is less likely to be left behind, even though it was $1 more than the navy blue. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0BJ2P64GV?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

10 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I decided to go with this one. A leatherette phone cover with long adjustable strap, and a single snap pocket for the keycard. 

I went for red since it is less likely to be left behind, even though it was $1 more than the navy blue. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0BJ2P64GV?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Cute! I've read some other people have these too, with or without the strap.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Winemaker_1 said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MLBF1JD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I bought this and like it.  Its small but good for phone cards and cash.

That's more than I want. I know that I'm not GrumpySushiBear, but I really just wanted something that would let me carry my phone and keycard. The one I ordered arrived yesterday and I really like it.

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2024 at 8:33 PM, Texas Tillie said:

Same.

I think the big difference is that on Silversea you only need your keycard to open the door to your suite and check off and on the ship, rather than having to use it multiple times per day to charge something to your cabin.

I was very happy to have the phone on a lanyard with a pocket for the keycard, especially when I discovered that I didn't need to pull it out to use it; I could just put the phone next to the sensor pad. Except for my reading glasses, it was generally all I carried around with me, except for my cane when the seas got rough.

• Like 1