Formal nights on Regal

Yes, there will be set nights and NO, suit and tie are NOT required. Dress shirt (perhaps with tie or jacket), nice slacks... done. Or, forego dressing up and dine in the buffet or order room service.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, room with a view said:

Don't mind "dressing up "

You will see every sort of attire on Formal Nights, from tuxedos and gowns, to sport coats with no tie and cocktail attire, to golf shirts and slacks and Capris.  You can dress up as much as you want and not look out of place, or go casual and not look out of place. There does not appear to be any "line in the sand" rules that are enforced.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 4

There will be specific nights designated as formal nights. How many depends on the length of the cruise. Formal wear is requested, but definitely not required.

Formal nights are never on the first or last night and most often on sea days. You can see which nights are scheduled as formal nights in the ship’s schedule under “Journey” in the app. Every evening will show either “casual” or “formal” portraits. I’ve seen it populate as much as a couple of months before a cruise. 

IMG_2944.thumb.jpeg.e7275fd7d7f4a719bcbc8050f747247d.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, room with a view said:

Thanks for your prompt reply . Don't mind "dressing up "  ....quite like it !!!  Looking forward to all the restaurants on the Regal . 

there's the good ole'  UK spirit :classic_wink:

• Like 1

We dress the same on casual or formal nights  Long pants and button down shirt   As long as you are not wearing shorts or ratty clothes you are fine. People who want to dress up do but not eveygoes that route

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As this is a British Isles cruise I imagine there will be UK cruisers onboard and it is likely that many will dress up on formal nights. Certainly when we do this cruise in August we’ll be taking our usual “dressy” outfits. Cruising from Southampton without the constraints of luggage limits means we can take the same clothes as we do on Cunard and P&O. If it was a fly cruise it would be a different matter.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, julia said:

Yes, there will be set nights and NO, suit and tie are NOT required. Dress shirt (perhaps with tie or jacket), nice slacks... done. Or, forego dressing up and dine in the buffet or order room service.  

In that case we'll be in the DR wearing our best jeans & Polo shirt. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your informative replies . It's our first time with Princess - on past cruises we have seen full military dress and kilts .

Sandancer ... good point about taking a no fly cruise though we are taking a P&O cruise later this year and our Jet 2 allowance is 22kg plus 10kg cabin allowance .

Bit of a change from the Tyne Ferry !!!

Oh, I don’t know. There have been some great parties on the Shields Ferry. Alas, no more, since Covid there have been no public events. Shame. We’ve done the fly/cruise on Azura and there were still lots of fancy outfits on show. You should wear whatever you are comfortable in. 

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

Oh, I don’t know. There have been some great parties on the Shields Ferry. Alas, no more, since Covid there have been no public events. Shame. We’ve done the fly/cruise on Azura and there were still lots of fancy outfits on show. You should wear whatever you are comfortable in. 

Didn't want to drive ..........so taking the train . Unable to take a fly cruise as op on eye makes flying a no-go ..until September then it's NCL Greek Islands .

We are flying to Southampton but luggage free. We have booked The Baggage Company to transfer our main luggage. It’s enough to manage a wheelchair and a good sized Rollator so taking the easy way this time. 

Rest assured there will be more people "dressed up" sailing from Southampton as there will more UK cruisers aboard who tend to smarten up in the evenings. But there is no requirement to wear a suit & tie. 

There will be two "dressing up" nights per week. I'll avoid the word "formal" as it seems to upset some cruisers from across the pond!😂

My wife loves to dress up regardless of the suggested dress code for each evening. I like to complement her attire and dress smartly too. It also gets me serious "brownie points"😉. What others choose to wear I really don't give a monkey's!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I just got off the Regal on May 27.  I found quite a mix on "formal" nights.  Many were dressed to the nines but mostly it was dress casual.  I'm not sure if people just didn't bother or it was such a port intensive trip that people were not interested in dressing up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandancer said:

We are flying to Southampton but luggage free. We have booked The Baggage Company to transfer our main luggage. It’s enough to manage a wheelchair and a good sized Rollator so taking the easy way this time. 

I will remember that if we ever go from Southampton again...thanks 

On Regal now and the majority of passengers are American/Canadian, as they are on most of the Regal uk cruises. Most people on formal night are dressed smart, trousers, shirt and no tie, though i have seen people in shorts. Very few in a tux or suit.

• Like 3