Is the medallion mandatory?

13 minutes ago, Kay S said:

That's right.  The thief would have to know the cabin number.  The same problem would exist with the medallion.  If a thief knew your cabin number and you accidently dropped your medallion, well...

IF by chance you do lose your medallion, anyone that finds it before you report it lost has access to your cabin by simply going to any of the display boards located on every deck & scanning it in. It also gives directions directly to your door.

I'm not sure if that works with a card in a similar way as I've never requested one since the introduction of the medallions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Yes, it's the Princess logo, like passengers have.

Management can know where each crew member is. 

That would have bothered me more as an employee than it does as a passenger.  I did not want my boss to know where I was at all times. Now I’m retired. And my wife thinks she knows where I am at all times (checking wallet for AirTag).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

That's right.  The thief would have to know the cabin number.  The same problem would exist with the medallion.  If a thief knew your cabin number and you accidently dropped your medallion, well...

With the medallion you just walk down the corridors till a door unlocks

With a card you have to check every door.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, insidecabin said:

Of course if you still have your phone you can see exactly where the medallion is, with a card you could not.

If someone were to try and use a found medallion pretty easy for security to find and catch them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

Actually, with a medallion the thief could just walk around all the cabin quarters until a door opened.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Not necessarily.  I've been on several cruise lines where the cabin is listed on the card.

I just wanted to say that it was extremely beneficial to be able to look up where my parents were with the help of the medallions and the app on our Enchanted cruise this week.

My DH and DS also easily found me using the app. Not being able to find each other on a large ship was very aggravating on the Oasis class ships, for example.

31 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Not necessarily.  I've been on several cruise lines where the cabin is listed on the card.

Same here from the good old days. Otherwise lots of people would have a real problem finding their cabin at 2:00 sm

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Actually, with a medallion the thief could just walk around all the cabin quarters until a door opened.

And security could follow them while they did so, know when he entered your cabin, match that with camera footage from the hall ways to make sure they could identify them even if they dumped the medallion before they caught up to them.

That of course if it was not the mostly thing and it was just turned in  The good thing about a medallion is that since it is just an rfid device, it can be disabled from your account and door, while still being able to be located by security.

While someone could find it and break into one's cabin, the tracking ability would make it was rather dumb thing to do.

2 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Next time you're on a Princess ship go to one of the boards by the elevators & use your medallion to find where your cabin is located.

2 hours ago, TRLD said:

If someone were to try and use a found medallion pretty easy for security to find and catch them.

Not if they wrap it in a piece of aluminum foil.

1 hour ago, 555 said:

Next time you're on a Princess ship go to one of the boards by the elevators & use your medallion to find where your cabin is located.

Not if they wrap it in a piece of aluminum foil.

If they use it on the door it would be unwrapped. If so they have a time and a location to use the hallway video cameras to see who used it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

WOW! 109 posts on this question. 

The medallion is a "hot topic," like missed/rescheduled ports, "I don't wanna wear nice clothes in the MDR on Formal Night" or "I'm done with (random cruise line)."

The common thread is "change is hard." It's especially true in the world of cruising where there are a lot of "legacy" customers.

Edited by TheMichael

5 hours ago, BamaVol said:

How interesting!  Do they look like a passenger medallion?  What color(s) are they?  What’s printed on them?  I will be onboard Enchanted in 6 days.  I will be looking closely.

Yes, look similar to passenger medallions.  I've seen them on employees inside of the clip usually attached to the collar of their shirt or to a belt loop on their pants.

• Like 2

Yes, you can get a card.  Yes, you can use an RFID blocker (even tinfoil in a wallet).

The tracking is useful for Princess from a financial standpoint.  If only 10 people show up for an event while 200 others are at a "craft" (in quotes because folding paper is a cheap substitute for a real craft), guess which will be replaced with a revenue-generator in the future.  It can also show an aggregation of the way people travel on a ship resulting in a better layout for new ships.

We choose not to be part of this, but each person needs to find their own comfort level.

4 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Why not just grab a couple of bags left in the hall on embarkation day or disembarkation eve? Way easier than finding a random medallion and wandering the halls aimlessly, hoping it doesn't get replaced/deactivated before finding the room.

There seems to be a very outsized concern about thieves onboard a ship that cost between several hundreds and several thousands of dollars just to board, in an industry where there's almost zero reported theft despite belongings being left out in the open.

Then again, people think crime is higher today than it was in the 1980s, when it couldn't be more the opposite...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Really?  Been on Carnival (no) Celebrity (last 3 digits) RCI (last 3 digits) MSC (deck only) & NCL(no).  These were all within the past two years.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I've been on some cruise lines as recently as last year with the room number printed on the card.

RCI and Celebrity, but only the last three digits of your room number, not your deck.

Edited by Retired-N-Happy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

RCI and Celebrity, but only the last three digits of your room number, not your deck.

Then in 5 minutes I can go deck to deck and find the cabin. Heck in the 1990’s we had actual keys like old motels did with the whole number on it. And they had extras as I passed a few to some lady friends 

Edited by memoak

44 minutes ago, memoak said:

Then in 5 minutes I can go deck to deck and find the cabin. Heck in the 1990’s we had actual keys like old motels did with the whole number on it. And they had extras as I passed a few to some lady friends 

Good luck going deck to deck on a 250 K ton Oasis Class ship in 5 minutes.

The only way you should possibly lose your card is if you were impaired because you had too much to drink.  And what are the chances of someone finding your card, then taking the time to attempt to find your cabin going floor to floor, which of course is all being taped by the numerous cameras on board. 

Here's a reality check for you.  I have been tracked down by security on Carnival, RCI and NCL for various reasons over the years just by the technology that is on board and the tracking that can be done.  Yes, Big Brother is watching you.

2 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

I have been tracked down by security on Carnival, RCI and NCL for various reasons over the years just by the technology that is on board and the tracking that can be done.

Why did you become a person of interest? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Good luck going deck to deck on a 250 K ton Oasis Class ship in 5 minutes.

The only way you should possibly lose your card is if you were impaired because you had too much to drink.  And what are the chances of someone finding your card, then taking the time to attempt to find your cabin going floor to floor, which of course is all being taped by the numerous cameras on board. 

Here's a reality check for you.  I have been tracked down by security on Carnival, RCI and NCL for various reasons over the years just by the technology that is on board and the tracking that can be done.  Yes, Big Brother is watching you.

In the past I often forgot to pull my card from a slot machine. The medallion is better because I can tap it and put it back on my pocket.  Alcohol has nothing to do with it

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, memoak said:

In the past I often forgot to pull my card from a slot machine. The medallion is better because I can tap it and put it back on my pocket.  Alcohol has nothing to do with it

Gambling, just like consumption of alcohol could be another reason to misplace your card.  In over 60 cruises, I have left a card locked in my cabin on two occasions, but never lost it, even after consuming a dozen drinks over the course of a day.

I too prefer the medallion, don't need to whip out a card to get a drink or to open the stateroom door.

1 hour ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Really?  Been on Carnival (no) Celebrity (last 3 digits) RCI (last 3 digits) MSC (deck only) & NCL(no).  These were all within the past two years.

I just got off Carnival earlier this year and they printed your room number on the card.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Why did you become a person of interest? 

On the NCL cruise I had gotten into a heated argument with a woman who was sitting at a HC table in the buffet and she had no wheelchair, scooter, walker or cane with her.  So, she was obviously mentally handicapped, by sitting where she shouldn't be.  This irritates me to no end and I have seen it firsthand on multiple cruise lines.  My DW uses a scooter and when non HC people take up space where they don't belong, it just cuts me to the core.  I have absolutely no problem confronting someone over this.  Our "discussion" was obviously picked up on camera and later that evening, out of nowhere, I was approached by security to give my version of what had happened with the head of security.  It blew my mind, but I met with him, had my day and that was it.

• Like 1