LIVE - Legendary Alaska - 28 days with The Inside Cabin - Westerdam

2 hours ago, Will_Dieterich said:

I don't know on HAL but on some other lines the person doing the cruise sales on board person is a actual a TA who was award the job for that cruise.  They get a percent of sales and get the free cruise.

Talking with people I have meet a couple of people who were TA on the cruise who had room because of discount to see what the cruise was like.  The most sales they did was give me a business card.

As for the you tube, lots of people want to be "influencers" so will record anything they think will get them views.

HAL uses a Future Cruise Consultant, who is HAL employee and one of the ship's senior officers.    No other Travel agents can solicit future business onboard. 

• Like 9

We have entered Yakutat Bay enroute to Hubbard Glacier

PeakFinderlocation.thumb.jpg.475b83d5802afcab33309a37bf0fd8cb.jpg

Here is a photo from our Verandah 10010

enteringYakutatBay.thumb.jpg.be803e8932ae80aba7a5542e2290d992.jpg

An app called Peak Finder - is very useful to identify peaks - more HERE

PeakFinder.thumb.jpg.b78efa87beec8c6baba21a9798da83ca.jpg

Here is the screen shot from Peak Finder

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

I noticed on the menus they started to add the Liquor drink with the souvenir shot glass except I like what they call it Liquid Dessert of the Day 😁 But notices a big price hike from Wednesday menu to Thursdays. They are careful to add that the "keepsake Glass" cost $3.25 so that would not be included in the Have It All I am OK with that but from Wednesday to Thursday very similar drink went from $8.25 to $11.50. There are two thoughts to this the total is $11.50 from yesterday but they need to break it down so you know one would be charged for the glass or the drink price went up 40% and besides paying for the shot glass for $.25 one will also pay 50cents extra if the have a regular HIA package. Hopefully there might be some clarification. Thanks!!

For me I am thrill if they are doing this on a regular basis not, I loved getting this every night but my last several cruises were a bit hit or miss of they offered them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Love reading this!  We will be back aboard this summer for our Alaska Jaunt.

How is the wifi and internet speed?  Last August it was pretty slow, as I don't think Starlink was up and running yet.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Love reading this!  We will be back aboard this summer for our Alaska Jaunt.

How is the wifi and internet speed?  Last August it was pretty slow, as I don't think Starlink was up and running yet.  

very Fast....Internet is something I don't have to think about.  Its usually faster on the ship than ashore anymore

image.thumb.png.20a3331016e421b47d0d1faed1add6d8.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I noticed on the menus they started to add the Liquor drink with the souvenir shot glass except I like what they call it Liquid Dessert of the Day 😁 But notices a big price hike from Wednesday menu to Thursdays. They are careful to add that the "keepsake Glass" cost $3.25 so that would not be included in the Have It All I am OK with that but from Wednesday to Thursday very similar drink went from $8.25 to $11.50. There are two thoughts to this the total is $11.50 from yesterday but they need to break it down so you know one would be charged for the glass or the drink price went up 40% and besides paying for the shot glass for $.25 one will also pay 50cents extra if the have a regular HIA package. Hopefully there might be some clarification. Thanks!!

For me I am thrill if they are doing this on a regular basis not, I loved getting this every night but my last several cruises were a bit hit or miss of they offered them.

So if one has HIA and they don’t want to keep the glass, is it served in a different glass, or is the glass just returned like normal?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So if one has HIA and they don’t want to keep the glass, is it served in a different glass, or is the glass just returned like normal?

I have had the Dessert Cordial of the day in the past and have been asked if I wanted to specialty glass.I have denied it and this just came in a regular cordial glass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Cannot get it without the glass. With SBP the charge will be $3.83. Even if you already got one, you must buy the glass every time. Not very enviro friendly if you have no use for the glass. Collect the set!  There are several, we got three different ones. Maybe your experience will differ and they will ease up on multiple buyers re: the glass. I hope so. 

Edited by SeaMatesNYC
Additional comment.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 1:14 AM, The-Inside-Cabin said:
…Here is the flyer we received for the Legendary Alaska. This is the standard Legendary Voyage flyer, not specific to our cruise…lengdary_.jpg

Here is our party schedule gleaned from Navigator today.

-Sunday, June 16th (Seward)

Masquerade Ball

9PM, Rolling Stone Lounge

-Monday, June 24th (sea day)

Costume Party

-Friday, June 28th (Homer)

Orange Party

-Thursday, July 4th (Misty Fnords)

4th of July Party

-Friday, July 5th (Prince Rupert)

Westerdam Ball

Party on, dudes and dudettes!

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

Here is our party schedule gleaned from Navigator today.

-Sunday, June 16th (Seward)

Masquerade Ball

-Monday, June 24th (sea day)

Costume Party

-Friday, June 28th (Homer)

Orange Party

-Thursday, July 4th (Misty Fnords)

4th of July Party

-Friday, July 5th (Prince Rupert)

Westerdam Ball

Thanks for digging these out !!!  - I was looking earlier and found the Orange Party and Masquerade....I wish they would put out a guide that shows this stuff!

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1

KETCHIKAN – THE SALMON CAPITAL OF THE WORLD

JUNE 14, 2024
Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2024 Legendary Alaska
Show More Posts

Feature 1 of 1

We visit Saxman Totem Park and two Yarn Shops

KETCHIKAN

The ship cleared around 8 am

Our plan for today — 

Take the two-hour Eagle One – City Highlights and Totems Tour 

Lunch

Visit Ketchikan’s two Yarn Shops

ketchikan-mao.jpg This map shows the spots we visited on our 2-hour tour ketchikan-mao-2.jpg Close up of Ketchikan

CITY HIGHLIGHTS AND TOTEMS TOUR

The Westerdam cleared about 8 a.m., and we headed ashore around 9:55 a.m. It was in the 40s with light rain. We walked from Berth 3 to the Visitor’s Center (near Berth 2 waterfront), where we checked in for our City Highlights and Totem Parks Tour, which started at 10:30 a.m.

wooden-eagle.jpg This wooden bald eagle was very popular as a photo background for tourists inside-the-vistors-center.jpg Over 15 tour desks are inside the visitors center across from Berth 2. This is where we checked in for our tour

We met our guide, Debbie, and headed over to the Lumberjack Show, where we picked up a couple from the Noordam.   The five of us were very comfortable in the 13 passenger van.

HERRING COVE

We stopped in a pullout adjacent to Herring Cove a few miles out of town. We hoped to see bears or eagles there, but the salmon hadn’t arrived yet, and we saw no bears or eagles today.

herring-cove-2.jpg Herring Cove welcome-to-alaska-2.jpg Welcome to Alaska! I guess this means they don’t offer tours.  This is the sign at the entrance to a Salmon Hatchery in Herring Cove

RAINBOW FALLS

Continuing out of town, we stopped at Rainbow Falls for a photo. This is also a trailhead if you are in the mood for a hike.

beaver-falls-2.jpg Pete and Judy at Rainbow Falls

SAXMAN TOTEM PARK

Saxman Totem Park features a collection of intricately carved totem poles. These 25 totems are authentic replicas of the original poles left in abandoned villages as Native Alaskans moved into more populated cities. Totem pole carving was an art form that flourished from the mid-1700s to the late 1800s.

Near the entrance there is a building where a Totem was being carved.  People on ship tours were able to go inside the building.   Our private tour stayed outside, under the roof, to look through the wall of windows as our guide explained the totem carving.   TIP – Walk around to the back side of the building where there are more windows with a better view of the interior.

saxman-village.jpg
Inside the building where they carve the Totem Poles
seward-shame-full.jpg
Seward Shame Pole – Shame Totem Poles are erected to remind the village that the subject of the pole deserves shame and ridicule for some offense.
seward-shame.jpg
This is close up of the Seward Shame Pole. William Seward, responsible for purchasing Alaska from Russia in 1867 was honored at Potlatch, a elaborate party in 1869 when he visited Alaska. He did not return to Alaska to return the honor and earned his place on this shame pole as a result
bear-attack-2.jpg
Bear attack in the Saxman Totem Park visitor center

CREEK STREET

Debbie dropped us off at Creek Street at our request rather than return to the Visitor Center.    She recommended lunch a few doors away at the New York Café.  We each had Fish and Chips –  with a choice of Halibut or Cod.  Afterwards, we walked down Creek Street to Fabulous Fiber Arts and More

P-and-J-with-Guide.jpg Pete, Tour guide Debbie and Judy creek-street-feature.jpg Creek Street is home to various shops NY-Cafe-770.jpg We had Fish and Chips here for lunch NY-Cafe-770-inside.jpg Inside the Cafe

YARN SHOPS

Fabulous Fiber Arts and More

This shop also sells quilt fabrics.  Judy bought a hank of yarn in blues & yellows that was hand-dyed in Palmer, Alaska.  She also bought a kit of yarn for the National Parks hat pattern called Gates of the Arctic.  She has been looking for buttons for a gray cabled vest she knitted. Not having the vest with her, she bought some buttons that might look good on the vest.  Note:  The buttons turned out to be the correct size and are just a little bit lighter in color but will look nice on the vest.

Fabulous-Fiber-Arts.jpg Judy showing off her purchases in front of Fabulous Fiber Arts inside-Fabulous-Fiber-Arts-and-More.jpg Inside Fabulous Fiber Arts fiber-and-more.jpg Judy’s Purchases

Untangled Yarn and Fiber

Our next yarn shop, Untangled Yarn and Fiber, was about 1.5 miles north of town.   We took the free downtown shuttle that left from in front of the Tongass Historical Museum.   There is also a city bus that runs along the same route that costs $2.   The Free Bus is clearly marked FREE.   They both go to the same place for our purposes – so we took the first bus to show up which was a free bus.

Untangled Yarn’s front section features locally dyed yarn.  Some of the yarns were dyed with natural dyes.  The back room featured yarns from some of the popular companies from the US and Europe.  Judy bought some beautiful locally dyed Alpaca and Silk lace weight yarn in shades of medium to dark blue.  She also splurged on some Baby Alpaca, Silk and Cashmere yarn in shades of tans to browns.

untangled-yarn-and-fiber.jpg
Untangled Yarn and Fiber
yarn-shop-untangled.jpg
Inside the Shop
Debra-2.jpg
Shop Owner – Deborah
untangled-web.jpg
Judy’s Purchases

After visiting Untangled Yarn and Fiber, we took the $2 bus back to the center of Ketchikan.

We had time before the All Aboard and went souvenir shopping at Tongass Trading Company. Judy bought some small jars of Salmonberry Jelly and Salmonberry Honey.

Tongrass-Trading-Company.jpg

moose-in-gift-shop.jpg Giant Moose in Tongass Trading Center

BACK ON THE SHIP

The ship hosted a Welcome Aboard reception for 3, 4 & 5-star mariners around the Lido pool from 6:15 to 6:45 pm.   Sparkling Wine and premixed cocktails were available at no charge.   You had to buy your own soft drinks.   There wasn’t any welcome address or other announcements.    The Captain and other officers were out and about mingling with guests.

reception.jpg Welcome Reception

WORLD STAGE

Comedian Buddy Fitzpatrick was on the World Stage.   He left the house lights on during his show.    Most of his performance was improv based on his interactions with guests.

comedian.jpg Buddy Fitzpatrick
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Todays Highlights - more later

Spent the morning cruising Prince William Sound - 

Tendering seemed to go smoother today.   We didn't go ashore until 2 PM

princewilliamsound.jpg.15056b78c7ec4d3e232b32ec1f230d1f.jpg

Valdez from the ship

valdez.jpg.8e3e0a8ba0771fe772c2163b11ce98c4.jpg

Welcome to Valdez

valdez-2.jpg.e1f5b73e793648220514854389ba2754.jpg

whisperinggiants.jpg.44b256562d8e396b8abd009f2dbc4c94.jpg

Here is the Whispering Giant

whispering.jpg.8152025803ef5a5c14a75f1eefa5be1a.jpg

Took the Keystone Tour for a scenic drive 

Bridal Falls

bridalveilfalls.thumb.jpg.8cb63b747fe329479d5619651eb8afbb.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Tell me about the crossbody bags you both have, please.

These are the PACSAFE branded bags.   The exact models we have are discontinued but we can find them on ebay for about $30 - $40.   We like the older ones as they have slots for waterbottles..

Mine is the PACSAFE Citysafe 200 GII

image.thumb.png.d2331a07d0c91959b7efce3b1428c2c8.png

Judys is the PACSAFE Citysafe CS200

image.thumb.png.70fc075d80151e44578fcf2b743f0eac.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm also really enjoying another "live from" from you.  Always wonderful photos and info.  I have used your private excursion info on several trips.  We are on a 2026 Islands of the South Pacific cruise and I have been scouring your previous cruises for info.  It looks like the only cruise you had planned to Papua New Guinea was cut short because of covid.  Did you have any private excursions planned in PNG?  It is difficult finding reviews of the South Pacific islands, even the CC forum, and the roll calls for 2020 are no longer here.  Thank you for letting us cruise with you again, Cherie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cccole said:

I'm also really enjoying another "live from" from you.  Always wonderful photos and info.  I have used your private excursion info on several trips.  We are on a 2026 Islands of the South Pacific cruise and I have been scouring your previous cruises for info.  It looks like the only cruise you had planned to Papua New Guinea was cut short because of covid.  Did you have any private excursions planned in PNG?  It is difficult finding reviews of the South Pacific islands, even the CC forum, and the roll calls for 2020 are no longer here.  Thank you for letting us cruise with you again, Cherie

No, we didn't have any plans for PNG—it wasn't on our itinerary. A good resource is YouTube—you can occasionally find good videos from non-cruise travelers and get some ideas.   Viator will usually name the company they are using and then you can search there website directly for other offerings.  

• Like 1