PHOTO REVIEW! Just off the Volendam to Canada/New England!

9 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Thank you for the review.  We will once again be on the Volendam in New England and the Maritimes in late July.  I have sailed many places but the Boston to Montreal sailing is my absolute favorite.  I could repeat it every year.   I am so glad you and your mother had a delightful time, it is always good to hear your opinion.  

Aww thanks. it was a nice relaxing cruise. Sydney was a bit boring but I think it’s because we didn’t leave the city and explore Cape Breton Island’s nature. I’m glad you are enjoyed the review. Enjoy your cruise. The Volendam is a special ship. 

9 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Great pictures and comments.  Thank you very much.

Thanks for reading. 

7 hours ago, albingirl said:

Very nice review. Thanks for posting. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Day 7: 06/07/2024 [Bar Harbor, Maine, United States]

It rained all day today in Bar Harbor which put a bit of a damper on our small group tour of Acadia National Park.  There was so much fog that we really couldn't see anything at all from the top of Cadillac Mountain.  The views of the park along the coastline were still lovely at least.  None of us can control Mother Nature so it is what it is but a nicer day would have surely been more enjoyable.

After the tour we grabbed lunch of chowder, steamer clams, and blueberry pie at a local restaurant before browsing the charming shops.  Some of the stuff was similar to the things you'd see in Provincetown, Ogunquit, or other seaside resort towns but there were also plenty of local made craft type shows as well.  It's a pity that the town voted to ban cruise ships after this season; it's surely going to hurt some of these small businesses and several people mentioned that they aren't happy about it.

Now to finish packing as it's our last night of the cruise.  it will be nice to already be home in the morning with no flights to catch!

image.thumb.jpeg.0c146b7be1040508d2aa5a07e3b2fbea.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.24a9945aacbe24770ed3032122d62644.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ccc32603e24bec56f5269c8b6f54c377.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1da2c7ec5afa98c7ea9ed16db618a9ca.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4924797bf9d3b683693167020dd737c9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.812cb6e95c805d6723909234e097dc6f.jpeg

• Like 8

FINAL THOUGHTS

SHIP:

Mom and I both really loved the Volendam and would love to sail her again!!  She is the perfect size with larger than average staterooms, plenty of elevators [we almost never had to wait more than 5 seconds for one] and a lovely promenade deck with room for steamer chairs.  Sure she is 25 years old and the odd bit of wear was showing but it was very rare that we spotted anything.  Small things like a couple nicks in the wall of our stateroom or some scratches here and there but  overall she was well kept.  It was obvious that some of the carpeting was recently replaced in the stairwells as it was extra plush.  I want to note that I think the Pinnacle-class ships are beautiful but these older ships always call back to me as they just offer a great cruise experience that the larger ships can't compete with.

FOOD:

The food was really good.  The only bad things we ate were the blueberry crisp and the mango crisp in the MDR for dessert on two nights.  Completely tasteless as if they forgot to add the sugar when making them.  They were not listed as the sugar-free options but they sure tasted like it; thank god they had ice cream with them.  I got the banana crisp one night though and that was good so who knows what happened to the other two.  The desserts in the buffet at lunch were excellent though.  And they had pavlova on TWO different days!!  Once with cherries and once with kiwis; both incredible!  The congee at breakfast, both in the MDR and in the buffet, was excellent as well.

SERVICE:

Really good all around.  Compared to our last HAL trip on the Koningsdam in August 2023 it was leaps and bounds better!!  That trip had dumpster fire service in the MDR but this was great.  We requested fixed late dining but they ended up giving us anytime.  It turned out fine as we never had to wait at all [except 5 min on one of the seven nights] for a table of two.  Every waiter we had was friendly and our orders were always correct.  It felt like the Pinnacle ships are staffed at the same level as these ships with twice the number of passengers and they just can't keep up.  The service here felt more personal.  Our stateroom stewards were great and I really appreciate twice-daily service; it's something I missed on my last two cruises which were with NCL and CCL; both those lines cut back to one service.

ITINERARY:

So I'm a little mixed on this bit.  I think this was a very relaxing cruise and I love that we only had to fly one way as it ended in our homeport.  Some of the ports are absolutely wonderful [Quebec City, Halifax] whilst others are mediocre at best [Sydney] and the remaining are decent but not sure I would rush back to them.  Charlottetown was a lovely day and I wouldn't object to finding myself there again but I'm not itching to return like I would be to someplace like Skagway or Stockholm.  Bar Harbor is lovely but living in New England I can get a similar atmosphere pretty much any time I want at numerous other towns nearby.  I think this cruise would be a huge draw for people who didn't grow up in the region and want to experience New England/Maritime culture; when you grow up with it then it doesn't feel as special or exotic like other cruise destinations do.  I CAN, however, see myself repeating this or a similar itinerary at some point in the future mostly for the fact that it's an easy cruise for me from my homeport; also, I REALLY want to get the Greenland one day [that IS an exotic location] and some of these ports are on Greenland cruises.  I do want to mention a big positive of the ports on this cruise though and that is the fact that most of them had great shopping opportunities. Authentic, locally made, artisan products were aplenty in all the ports and that is truly something special this day and age.  Whether you love artisan jewelry like I do, or local foodstuffs, or handmade crafts, etc. these ports offer a lot of options made by people who actually live nearby; it's not just a bunch of made in China tourist junk that can be found all over the Caribbean.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for your review @Bostonjetset.  We were on this same cruise and really enjoyed it as well.  We have sailed this itinerary twice.  Both times we visited Sydney we rented a car and really enjoyed that stop.  The first time we drove up the Cabot Trail and this time we visited Baddeck and the Alexander Graham Bell Museum.  Just a thought if you find yourself there again.  I couldn’t agree more with your assessment of the Volendam, such a lovely vessel and the perfect size for us.  We rarely waited more than a few seconds for an elevator that we usually had to ourselves, unlike our cruise on the Rotterdam this past February.  We canceled our bike tour through Acadia due to the rain at the last minute.  Instead we had a very nice breakfast in Bar Harbor, got back on the ship and finished a book that had to be returned to the library that evening.  I think I’m starting to prefer creature comforts in my old age!  Sure was nice hopping into a cab and being home in ten minutes at the end!  

Welcome home.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for posting this, I really enjoyed your review. We will be on the August 20th 11-day cruise on the Volendam. Other than a short trip to Niagara Falls, this will be our first real trip to Canada. Looking forward to great NE/Canada seafood and loved the pictures on the PEI Muscles. We are traveling with 2 other couples and this is also their first Canadian trip. We all booked early so we got the Early Booking premium HIA, Club Orange and a great deal on midship Vista Suites.

Our first HAL cruise was on the Volendam in 2007 and was a major reason why we continued to cruise with HAL many more times. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, erewhon said:

Enjoyed reading your review.  Thank you.

Volendam was our first cruise ship, had several other cruises on her, to remain our favourite.

Thanks for reading. Glad you enjoyed!  

9 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Thanks for your review @Bostonjetset.  We were on this same cruise and really enjoyed it as well.  We have sailed this itinerary twice.  Both times we visited Sydney we rented a car and really enjoyed that stop.  The first time we drove up the Cabot Trail and this time we visited Baddeck and the Alexander Graham Bell Museum.  Just a thought if you find yourself there again.  I couldn’t agree more with your assessment of the Volendam, such a lovely vessel and the perfect size for us.  We rarely waited more than a few seconds for an elevator that we usually had to ourselves, unlike our cruise on the Rotterdam this past February.  We canceled our bike tour through Acadia due to the rain at the last minute.  Instead we had a very nice breakfast in Bar Harbor, got back on the ship and finished a book that had to be returned to the library that evening.  I think I’m starting to prefer creature comforts in my old age!  Sure was nice hopping into a cab and being home in ten minutes at the end!  

Welcome home.

I think you did Sydney right. If I ever get back there I’ll get out of the city and see some of the countryside. It sounds like that’s the true draw of that port. 

9 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Thank you for posting this, I really enjoyed your review. We will be on the August 20th 11-day cruise on the Volendam. Other than a short trip to Niagara Falls, this will be our first real trip to Canada. Looking forward to great NE/Canada seafood and loved the pictures on the PEI Muscles. We are traveling with 2 other couples and this is also their first Canadian trip. We all booked early so we got the Early Booking premium HIA, Club Orange and a great deal on midship Vista Suites.

Our first HAL cruise was on the Volendam in 2007 and was a major reason why we continued to cruise with HAL many more times. 

Enjoy your cruise and the PEI mussels!!!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 8:07 AM, Low Country Sandlapper said:

Great review — so helpful!  Thank you for posting.

On 6/12/2024 at 10:23 AM, A Sixth? said:

We’re onboard for June 29ths sailing out of Montreal 

May I ask a favour. What no alcohol beers do they have?

thanks

Don

Thanks for reading. Unfortunately I didn’t really pay attention to the nonalcoholic beers (or the regular ones for that matter)  and I’m no longer on board. I’m sorry 😞

i sure miss those wide teak prom decks with full size chairs to sit and enjoy the scenery....IMO darn shame that so many of the new ships either have no real prom deck or so narrow that no room for real chairs...image.thumb.jpeg.803b8c54e581e857929c4f1ea9621a4d.jpeg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

Thanks for reading. Unfortunately I didn’t really pay attention to the nonalcoholic beers (or the regular ones for that matter)  and I’m no longer on board. I’m sorry 😞

Hi, I love your whole review. I am sailing for my 70th out of Boston on the Volendam, and is the one thing I wanted for my birthday! 
I plan to read your entire post, word for word! 
Do you remember where the ship docks in Quebec City? I have an excursion on the lower city, and wonder if it is walkable. 
Thank you, and hope to see you in Boston, your CT neighbor.

6 minutes ago, lovecruisingrn said:

Hi, I love your whole review. I am sailing for my 70th out of Boston on the Volendam, and is the one thing I wanted for my birthday! 
Do you remember where the ship docks in Quebec City? I have an excursion on the lower city, and wonder if it is walkable. 

The lower city is an easy walk from the ship.  Is that your meet up point, if so they usually meet you a block or so away from the port area.  Most tours meet there then take the funicular to the upper city. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ellencruise said:

Onboard 6/22. I know ship tenders in Bar Harbor. Were there long waits to get to pier? I have a non HAL excursion meeting at noon.

We had an HAL excursion so had priority for tendering. It seemed to be pretty well run though and it’s not a large ship so you should be okay assuming the customs people don’t take forever. Noon is well after arrival. 

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Our first cruise together was on the MS Volendam in 2007. She’s still looking good. We love the Canadian itineraries especially the repo’s to Florida. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for reading! 

2 hours ago, dockman said:

i sure miss those wide teak prom decks with full size chairs to sit and enjoy the scenery....IMO darn shame that so many of the new ships either have no real prom deck or so narrow that no room for real chairs...

Indeed. I love the wide promenade deck too. I’ll admit that even the pinnacle class ships from HAL are better than other lines to me though since they at least have a promenade desk that goes all the way around even if it’s too narrow for the steamer chair. So many other lines’ ships don’t even have that! 

15 minutes ago, lovecruisingrn said:

Enjoy your cruise and happy birthday!!  The ship docks right in the lower city at QC so is quite walkable to locations down there. 

Edited by Bostonjetset
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, lovecruisingrn said:

I think Volendam usually goes into Quai 21 or 22. But on our trip in May, we got stuck at Quai 30 due to a planned protest. It's not that far from Quai 30, but it's definitely less convenient.

• Like 2

Thank you for your stunning photos and review.

Do you use a camera or phone for your pictures?

We were onboard for two weeks ending June 1st and going back to do the same in September.

Unfortunately HAL is really cutting back on this itinerary.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 11:14 PM, Dancing Shoes said:

Thanks for sharing.  We are on her in August.  Boston to Montreal.  Good tips for PEI.  

We are on the same cruise! Glad you have your dancing shoes!

4 hours ago, C 2 C said:

We were onboard for two weeks ending June 1st and going back to do the same in September.

All the photos are from my Pixel 6 smartphone. I'm generally pretty happy with the camera - particularly in low light.

There are some interesting, longer itineraries (like 10 or 11 days) that hit some of the farther out Canadian ports, but those aren't in the cards of us right now with work and other commitments.

8 hours ago, C 2 C said:

Thanks for reading. I took the photos with my iPhone. It’s an older one too. An iPhone 11. Enjoy your Sept cruise! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lovecruisingrn said:

We are on the same cruise! Glad you have your dancing shoes!

Us too. We just booked. Now I have to “cram” to plan: flights, hotels, sightseeing pre-trip. One thing for sure- we’ll Uber and not try driving 😉😜😇. We just don’t need the “excitement”.

Is there a good local liquor store (not sure of what types of stores sell wine in MA) near the port? (Do grocery stores?)