Help making upgrade decision from veranda

We have an upcoming 12 night Iceland to Boston cruise on the Eclipse. Currently we are booked in a veranda cabin on deck 7. We’ve only sailed in aqua class or retreat before but those cabins are way over what I’m willing to pay at this time. We can upgrade to a concierge class for $200. I know that it all depends on what we want but I just wanted others opinions. We are currently Elite and not too far off the next level. So what are your thoughts and why we should upgrade or stay.

I have been in Concierge class once but did not think it was worth the extra charge. The embarkation lunch in the dining room did not appeal to us because the menu was limited. There was a free bottle of cheap wine in the cabin but we had the drink package anyway so never drank it. The afternoon snacks they deliver to the cabin were terrible. The upgrades bath products were nice but not worth the extra cost. Just my opinion since you asked but I still enjoyed the cruise😊

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

We have an upcoming 12 night Iceland to Boston cruise on the Eclipse. Currently we are booked in a veranda cabin on deck 7. We’ve only sailed in aqua class or retreat before but those cabins are way over what I’m willing to pay at this time. We can upgrade to a concierge class for $200. I know that it all depends on what we want but I just wanted others opinions. We are currently Elite and not too far off the next level. So what are your thoughts and why we should upgrade or stay.

I would only upgrade to ConciergeClass if I found a particular cabin that I liked in that category to book.  If the upgrade is $200 total, then you might find the extra 24 Club Points worth it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swigso said:

Hi

are there any cabins available on the hump which have huge balconies 

Right: look at the added choices of location and balcony size

So, if you have been in the Retreat, along with AQ and if you can find a cabin location with a larger balcony, or in a better area, $200 is not going to make any difference!

• 2 weeks later...

Update…. I didn’t upgrade earlier but today the upgrade was a total of $90. So I called my travel agent and that person contacted celebrity to do the upgrade. After he spoke to Celebrity the other person told him the upgrade would be >$1800. I asked him how since I had it showing on my screen as an increase of $90. He went back to the Celebrity person and the reason given was that Concierge guarantee category was now sold how. It wasn’t because I did another mock booking after he quoted the outrageous amount and it was still there. So my travel agent and I decided to call back and get another rep.

Fast forward 15 minutes and I called back to my travel agent and spoke to another rep and she called and got the aforementioned upgrade for $90. Moral of story is if you don’t like/agree with the answer give it a few minutes and try again.

• Like 5

Now you have me tempted to petter my TA again. Looks like a $60 for us to go up from a V2 to an XC.    TA may disown me for asking since I have had him reprice twice already to save me over $3000.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

Update…. I didn’t upgrade earlier but today the upgrade was a total of $90. So I called my travel agent and that person contacted celebrity to do the upgrade. After he spoke to Celebrity the other person told him the upgrade would be >$1800. I asked him how since I had it showing on my screen as an increase of $90. He went back to the Celebrity person and the reason given was that Concierge guarantee category was now sold how. It wasn’t because I did another mock booking after he quoted the outrageous amount and it was still there. So my travel agent and I decided to call back and get another rep.

Fast forward 15 minutes and I called back to my travel agent and spoke to another rep and she called and got the aforementioned upgrade for $90. Moral of story is if you don’t like/agree with the answer give it a few minutes and try again.

Call back until you get the answer you want is the general rule for all mass market lines. I tried booking through my big box retailer and a few of the agencies advertised here and I could only book guarantee in all categories. Since they were only offering what the cruise line was and making it seen like they were giving you something extra, I just booked and selected my room on the Celebrity site. I don't even like calling these agencies anymore. It's just a call center that picks up calls for all of the online sites and they usually don't have a clue. If I have to talk them through it, I should get the commission.

Edited by Iamcruzin

11 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

Kasowell, if you have any OBC on your original booking make sure you still have it, they wanted to remove ours when we upgraded and didn’t want to give us what was on offer to new bookings!!  As you said I kept asking until I got the outcome I was happy with 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lolou127 said:

Kasowell, if you have any OBC on your original booking make sure you still have it, they wanted to remove ours when we upgraded and didn’t want to give us what was on offer to new bookings!!  As you said I kept asking until I got the outcome I was happy with 

We did because it was a future booking we made from an earlier sailing. The travel agent rep made sure all the original perks were still there

• Like 1

Hello.  Can anyone tell me how Celebrity typically calculates upgrade charges for moving from a veranda to a concierge cabin? If prices have gone up since you booked,  do they charge the difference between what you paid for the veranda cabin and the current cost of the concierge?  Or do they charge the difference between the current cost of your original cabin category and the concierge category that you would like to move to?  

I have been debating upgrading our veranda cabin on a transatlantic cruise for the additional points.  But I also hesitate to move from our 7th deck room up to the 11th, so the upgrade is not worth much additional money to me.  

Cheryl

28 minutes ago, ConnMom said:

Hello.  Can anyone tell me how Celebrity typically calculates upgrade charges for moving from a veranda to a concierge cabin? If prices have gone up since you booked,  do they charge the difference between what you paid for the veranda cabin and the current cost of the concierge?  Or do they charge the difference between the current cost of your original cabin category and the concierge category that you would like to move to?  

I have been debating upgrading our veranda cabin on a transatlantic cruise for the additional points.  But I also hesitate to move from our 7th deck room up to the 11th, so the upgrade is not worth much additional money to me.  

Cheryl

I went online and priced the new category room. I then called my travel agent and they in turn called Celebrity and priced the room and I was charged the difference between my original costs and the new costs. Make sure you give them all the info you included in the original booking such as all included packages and tips. If you don't make sure those are included you will think it's a much better price than it actually is.  

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, ConnMom said:

Cheryl

I would imagine you will be charged current pricing as there may be a promotion that was running at the time of your original booking that won't apply now. Also you could lose any OBC or AI pricing that was offered during the original booking. Make sure you ask these questions if they apply.

Edited by Iamcruzin

On 6/9/2024 at 9:02 AM, jwlane said:

$200 total?  I'd do it just for the increased club points towards reaching Elite +.

On 6/9/2024 at 12:37 PM, mahdnc said:

I would only upgrade to ConciergeClass if I found a particular cabin that I liked in that category to book.  If the upgrade is $200 total, then you might find the extra 24 Club Points worth it.

If you are doing the upgrade directly with Celebrity then you'll get additional points, if you're doing a "Move Up Bid"  then you only get the points for the original cabin. 

Thank you, Kasawell and Iamcruzin for the feedback.  I think I will watch prices for  a while before giving up the room I selected for its location.  I guess I can wait a bit longer to get to Elite+! 

Beware on upgrading to a suite if you think you will get all the perks. You won't. We upgraded and were told the upgrade to a suite did NOT allow us to have the free drink package. We knew we'd have to pay more gratuities, but thought we'd get the drink and wifi package. We went up the line to the head butler, but they all said no.

2 hours ago, dreamer321 said:

If you are doing the upgrade directly with Celebrity then you'll get additional points, if you're doing a "Move Up Bid"  then you only get the points for the original cabin. 

Not a move up bid just a straight changing categories of room

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 3:37 PM, mahdnc said:

For that price I'd only upgrade if it was a concierge SV. I've done it before for an extra 100 bucks on a 10 night cruise 

I did email my TA this morning.  He did get back to me.  All CC is  now sold out. I checked it on the Celebrity web site and indeed they are all sold out.  Thanks for the heads up kasowell2.  I guess others saw it and jumped in first.

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

For that price I'd only upgrade if it was a concierge SV. I've done it before for an extra 100 bucks on a 10 night cruise 

The upgrade cost $91 total

• Like 1

I booked Concierge for my upcoming November 2025 cruise just because it was a cabin that I wanted. The difference between the cost of that and a typical veranda room was negligible for this cruise at the time of booking.

On 6/18/2024 at 9:17 PM, kasowell2 said:

I just called to upgrade a room and the agent told me I would have to pay $200 change fee...did you have to pay a change fee with your upgrade? Thanks!

On 6/9/2024 at 11:44 AM, kasowell2 said:

We sail Concierge or Aqua Class most of the time.  There are a few perks that we like with Concierge ( Embarkment lunch in the dining room, a bottle of wine delivered to the room

& the room location) for the $200 more I would upgrade if I were you.  We also like that you get more points per night ( 5 pts for Concierge & AquaClass) to get you yo the next Captain Club level.