Resubmitting your DD214 For Every Cruise?

Oxo

Just booked an MSC cruise and they require me to submit a DD214 and photo ID to get my Millitary Discount.

I have done that before and even cruised MSC 4 times in the past 2 years. During those past 4 cruises they never

requested another DD214 and photo ID.

Have any of you former Military personnel had to resubmit your DD214 and photo ID when you book another MSC Cruise?

They say that they give you 10% off for a Military Discount. However, that is not really identified in any invoice I have seen a separate

line item on the invoice. In addition, the Black Card Discount of 5% is not shown.

I have tested the Discounts out on various Travel Agencies Sites and did bookings as Military and Non Military and see no difference.

When I questioned that, I was informed that not every cruise qualifies for the Military Discount. I do understand that.

My TA even questioned MSC on this and said he could provide proof of me being Military. They still require me to send in the proof.

Any help or info will be appreciated. TIA

The military discount is 5% on inside/ocean view and 10% on balcony and above.  And the T&C's mention capacity, restrictions and that it cannot be combined with the Voyagers Club 5% discount.

I could only see the discount on the Booking Confirmation under the Booking Details.   Under Pax Type it stated "Military USA".  While I could not see the discount in the actual invoice fare numbers, I was able to calculate my rate was 10% less than the online price.

I only had to submit my information to MSC once and they applied it to several bookings years apart.   But I haven't used it since the restart and now that they have dropped the civil service aspect of the discount I think there likely has been a change in policy.

• Thanks 1

Another benefit of the military discount is that it can be applied to other cabins in your group if linked to your booking. I think it’s up to 8 bookings per qualified military. This is where it may be valuable to have a TA or MSC Concierge representative handle the bookings. I’ve done the group military booking several times. 

Dennis

46 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

Another benefit of the military discount is that it can be applied to other cabins in your group if linked to your booking. I think it’s up to 8 bookings per qualified military. This is where it may be valuable to have a TA or MSC Concierge representative handle the bookings. I’ve done the group military booking several times. 

Dennis

Thank you! Yes, I did know of that other cabin option. I do use a TA and have done for years. 

MSC is not one of the most User Friendly Cruise Lines. Many TAs will not even try to book with them. It is a shame since they offer excellent prices, beautiful ships, great entertainment and more. Been cruising MSC since Jan 2006. 

FYI - I sent emails to MSC this morning and have received many replies. Here is some of the contents: 

1. Do I need to resubmit anything to verify my Military Career of 20 years in the USAF to obtain a Military Discount for these cruises? I have four cruises for 2025.

MSC: To avail of the Military Discount, we kindly request that you submit verification such as a DD214, or your Military ID, or a Commander Letter.

2. I sent my Military ID. I then asked if I am now fully verified in MSC's System as  Military and no further action is required?  Will I need to resubmit my Military ID for each MSC cruise that I book in the future? 

MSC: Please note that we will need you to resubmit proof every time you request a Military discount to be applied on a cruise you have with us.

I didn't understand their need to have a client resubmit the required Military document for each cruise. They maintain a database that has all your other personal data such as address, passport data, etc.

Well, if they want it and it saves me 10%, I guess I will do so. LOL SMH

It might be because only the DD214 is a verification document that does not expire. Both a military ID and Commander letter can be a single use verification based on expiration. I find it reasonable that we are required to submit each time. I know not all use a TA, but this is another advantage of using one. I just have my DD214 with her.

17 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

It might be because only the DD214 is a verification document that does not expire. Both a military ID and Commander letter can be a single use verification based on expiration. I find it reasonable that we are required to submit each time. I know not all use a TA, but this is another advantage of using one. I just have my DD214 with her.

A Retired Military ID is indefinite.

Other Cruise Lines, such as NCL, only requires verification one time.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, asctony said:

A Retired Military ID is indefinite.

Other Cruise Lines, such as NCL, only requires verification one time.

A retired military ID is indefinite after you reach 65.  Until then, it needs to be renewed when you reach 65.  That’s when Medicare becomes primary over Tricare.  Been there, done that.  But I’ve never registered for the military discount.  Who do I submit this to?  EM

• Like 1

The military discount comes in handy if you have a tendency to book less than 6 months in advance.  Normally Voyager members get 5% discount for < 6 months in advance, so military gives you 10% so a bit of an additional advantage.  If you are more than 6 months in advance, you still may get a tiny additional advantage because 10% is slightly better than 5%+5% with how MSC calculates it.

It is silly to require verification for every cruise - however we all know how MSC's IT offerings "need improvement" as would be marked on a Fitness Report.  Luckily, my TA knows my retired military status and checks that discount for me.

Interestingly, a search of the MSC website doesn't give any result for "military" today.   @Essiesmom  if you have a TA, I would recommend providing that documentation to them.  If not, I hate to recommend contacting MSC via phone, but probably the best way to get it submitted and associated with your Voyager number.

25 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

A retired military ID is indefinite after you reach 65.  Until then, it needs to be renewed when you reach 65.  That’s when Medicare becomes primary over Tricare.  Been there, done that.  But I’ve never registered for the military discount.  Who do I submit this to?  EM

MSCPromoverification@msccruisesusa.com

They were very responsive and within hours. Not days. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sharon_and_TC said:

Interestingly, a search of the MSC website doesn't give any result for "military" today.   @Essiesmom  if you have a TA, I would recommend providing that documentation to them.  If not, I hate to recommend contacting MSC via phone, but probably the best way to get it submitted and associated with your Voyager number.

MSCPromoverification@msccruisesusa.com

My TA tried to give MSC my Military proof and they wanted me to send it to them via the address above. That address was very responsive and within hours not days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, oceans.calling said:

We have a MSC Concierge who does all our bookings and automatically adds military discount because he knows it’s been verified previously with MSC in 2019 with DD214. Never had to resend it. 

Things change on a daily basis with Cruise Lines.

What can I say except - You can call or deal with any Cruise Line and get different answers hourly, daily, etc. Many TAs will not even deal with MSC because of their poor service. I have dealt with MSC since Jan 2006. Many people try to call MSC and never get through or the correct answer. TAs are the only way to go as they get priority access. 

33 minutes ago, oceans.calling said:

We have a MSC Concierge who does all our bookings....

I'm not sure if the "MSC Concierge" is the same thing as the person who calls you back if you click on the "Call me" button on the website, but if so, I'm glad I didn't let my first interaction with one chase me away from MSC.   

As she was gathering "information" as to what type of cabin I was looking for, she asked me if I preferred to be on the "PORT side of the ship or the OCEAN side of the ship".   I decided at that point she was not the person I really wanted to talk to.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

NCL and Princess use ID Me to verify your military service. You submit your info one time to that site and you're done. On my account on NCL it shows "Military" on my account and any cruise I book automatically applies a 10% discount.

As a Veteran, my status will never change...I will always be a Veteran. To have to submit stuff every time is BoguS.

Edited by schmoopie17

We just recently booked a B2B for September.  I asked my TA about the Military Discount and he said we had received it and he used the information that we had provided for our military discount on the February cruise so he did not have to ask me to resubmit any documentation. 

27 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Does anyone know if the Military discount can be stacked with the Voyager's club discount?  Or is it one or the other?

Military discount cannot be used in conjunction with the Voyagers Club discount, it's one or the other. 

• Thanks 1