Celebrity Retreat vs MSC Yacht Club: A Live Perspective

Posted (edited)

Sailed in all classes of Celebrity in suites and our last cruise was on the MSC Seahore and then a E class in a suite.   Celebrity is a day late and a dollar short especially when eliminating the Butler.   I understand that Celebrity is trying to bring back the butlers.   

The only advantage to me that Celebrity has is the elevator system and when not in the retreat areas it is mostly civilized.    The elevator system on MSC sucks and when not in the YC area it is total chaos.   

Even with that for the value MSC wins but not for long 

The starting prices for a suite on Celebrity is getting out of my price budget and MSC is catching up.   MSC YC doesn’t seem to be the bargain that it was.   If I continue to take cruises and not in a suite it will be with Celebrity.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The only interesting one is on Azamara 😉

I can hardly wait.  

The itinerary is all new for me.  
DH has been to Ireland before.

Not another one of our cheap and easy Florida embarkations.

• Haha 1

Suite Dining: Celebrity's Luminae vs MSC's Yacht Club Restaurant

---

Food:

- Luminae: We had four dinners (+ dinner in every specialty restaurant and the Chef's Table experience and even a dinner in the MDR, Silhouette) + a couple of lunches as well. Of our six meals, I would say the food was great 4x, average 1x, and not good 1x. The Daniel Boulud Signature menu was nothing special and I was shocked that it's literally the same exact three items every single night of our 9 day cruise. 

-- On a scale from 1-5, I would rate Luminae as a 4.

Yacht Club Restaurant: Over the course of two weeks, I don't remember without looking exactly how many meals we ate in the YC Restaurant but it was enough to be able to offer a good opinion. The ratio of great/average/poor meals was likely similar to what we experienced in Luminae.

-- Score: 4/5 

When it comes to the food - it's largely going to depend on what types of food you like and your menu selection (in any given meal, there are likely great menu options and others you won't like as much).

The Italian and the steaks in the YC Restaurant were definitely superior to what we had in Luminae, but other items we had were better in Luminae (duck and soups come to mind).

--

Service:

There were moments in both restaurants where we felt like they were providing too much service, when we really just wanted to be left alone for a bit to enjoy our meal and each other's company. 

With that said, the pacing seemed to be better in Luminae than it was in the YC Restaurant and the staff seemed to do a better job of watching for the right opportunities to approach us. 

For that reason I would give Luminae the edge here:

Luminae Score: 4/5

- YC Restaurant Score: 3/5

--

Ambiance:

The ambiance for us doesn't have a big impact on the overall meal enjoyment, but the YC Restaurant wins this one without competition. 

While Luminae has windows, they're not the huge bay windows offering expansive views of what's around you. Additionally, with it being on Deck 3 vs Deck 16 for the YC Restaurant, the views you do have are much more limited.

I also prefer the grays in the YC Restaurant to the beige colors in Luminae, but that's simply personal preference. 

- Luminae Score: 3/5

- YC Restaurant Score: 5/5

---

Overall: 

I think this category is a push... They're both great experiences and we'd be equally happy dining in either one. 

One thing worth noting - when we sailed in the YC Restaurant, it was over Spring Break and there were a lot of kids in the YC so you would have expected that to possibly be an issue, but it wasn't at all. 

The kids in the YC were all well-mannered and well-behaved.

With that said - there were a couple nights this week in Luminae where people were enjoying themselves a bit too much (almost certainly due to alcohol) and were extremely loud and overbearing.

In any given week, this experience could be the exact opposite in either restaurant though so I don't think this is something that should have an impact on our overall impression.

---

Below are some pictures of Luminae since I have them readily available... I'm at the Barcelona terminal after disembarking waiting for a tour so I'll have to grab YC Restaurant pictures when I'm in a better spot.

20240612_180026.thumb.jpg.71ff880577d5ae5a2978cf60948e3648.jpg

20240612_180042.thumb.jpg.b936d146b79e541da2a9b1355ad5ae7d.jpg

20240612_180125.thumb.jpg.12cbe5c4f7b3159b84fe2c87ee7f245d.jpg

Screenshot_20240613_075803.thumb.jpg.ed427a2b95c4931867a3dcbefdcd2fc9.jpg

Screenshot_20240613_075846.thumb.jpg.d562d51b984e3106a7c68f1adf632f99.jpg

Screenshot_20240613_075904.thumb.jpg.be4c404e11282de581d4e103fcc56e01.jpg

Screenshot_20240613_075935.thumb.jpg.7755ca7b0d396bcee6ed14130c7e8ca2.jpg

Screenshot_20240613_080146.thumb.jpg.683544bf393feb811511c4cbb001baf8.jpg

• Like 3

Sun Deck/Pool Deck:

It's perhaps not even necessary to do a comparison of the two sun decks, since there's really no comparison, but for the sake of being thorough I will. 

---

Amenities:

- Celebrity Retreat Sun Deck: The sun deck on the Equinox is largely a wasted space. There's some loungers and cabanas and a shower (why?), but that's it. 

MSC Yacht Club Pool Deck: The YC Pool Deck has a pool, multiple hot tubs (though not very hot), buffet, bar, loungers, and cabanas. 

---

Service: 

- RetreatThere were crew members offering to bring food and drink up on the sun deck, but they were slow to deliver because they had to go downstairs to get things. 

- Yacht Club: In addition to people serving you at your loungers, they also have a full bar where you can grab a drink, in addition to

---

Ambiance:

- Retreat: There were nice design elements on the sun deck but the feel was more subdued since there were never many people up there since there was really nothing to do (and not even interesting people watching).

Yacht Club: Both of our sailings were sold out so it wasn't as quiet on the pool deck as some of you may like (that would be different when not during a school holiday). However, is was still serene and easy to find a place to relax and take in the sun with a good drink. 

---

Overall: 

As mentioned, this really isn't a fair flight. 

One is a space designed from the ground up to be a true enclave from the rest of the ship. 

The other is an afterthought hoping to create something people will enjoy (they failed).

MSC is the runway winner here. 

---

Retreat Sun Deck: 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.b6f1332213da8c6f51cdb0a1e276d891.jpg

Yacht Club Pool Deck: 

6.-Yacht.thumb.jpg.a6d31f617951ea216321833c79e55f2e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Sun Deck/Pool Deck:

It's perhaps not even necessary to do a comparison of the two sun decks, since there's really no comparison, but for the sake of being thorough I will. 

---

Amenities:

- Celebrity Retreat Sun Deck: The sun deck on the Equinox is largely a wasted space. There's some loungers and cabanas and a shower (why?), but that's it. 

MSC Yacht Club Pool Deck: The YC Pool Deck has a pool, multiple hot tubs (though not very hot), buffet, bar, loungers, and cabanas. 

---

Service: 

- RetreatThere were crew members offering to bring food and drink up on the sun deck, but they were slow to deliver because they had to go downstairs to get things. 

- Yacht Club: In addition to people serving you at your loungers, they also have a full bar where you can grab a drink, in addition to

---

Ambiance:

- Retreat: There were nice design elements on the sun deck but the feel was more subdued since there were never many people up there since there was really nothing to do (and not even interesting people watching).

Yacht Club: Both of our sailings were sold out so it wasn't as quiet on the pool deck as some of you may like (that would be different when not during a school holiday). However, is was still serene and easy to find a place to relax and take in the sun with a good drink. 

---

Overall: 

As mentioned, this really isn't a fair flight. 

One is a space designed from the ground up to be a true enclave from the rest of the ship. 

The other is an afterthought hoping to create something people will enjoy (they failed).

MSC is the runway winner here. 

---

Retreat Sun Deck: 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.b6f1332213da8c6f51cdb0a1e276d891.jpg

Yacht Club Pool Deck: 

6.-Yacht.thumb.jpg.a6d31f617951ea216321833c79e55f2e.jpg

Having only done retreat on the Beyond, I would be hesitant to book retreat on the M or S class.  Have booked for the Ascent in the Caribbean.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

What is this dish?

Screenshot_20240613_075803.thumb.jpg.ed427a2b95c4931867a3dcbefdcd2fc9.jpg

That was their take on spaghetti carbonara.

After 3 nights in Rome and having it at least once each day, it wasn't a good interpretation in my opinion but it was presented well!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

That was their take on spaghetti carbonara.

Thank you.  I looked around the edges and saw what looked like rice. 

4 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

After 3 nights in Rome and having it at least once each day, it wasn't a good interpretation in my opinion but it was presented well!

I will definitely have to try it on an upcoming sailing.  I hop9e it at least tasted good. 

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Thank you.  I looked around the edges and saw what looked like rice. 

I will definitely have to try it on an upcoming sailing.  I hop9e it at least tasted good. 

It was the meal we had that was average (but not great).

If I wasn't expecting something more like real carbonara I may have liked it more.

32 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

It was the meal we had that was average (but not great).

If I wasn't expecting something more like real carbonara I may have liked it more.

The "everyday menu" in Le Muse on Divina had a penne with marinara sauce.  I asked if I could get it with a bolognaise sauce instead and after checking with the chef I received it.  Well it was so good I had to order it twice more.  

What I like about Luminae and the YC Restaurant -- both will normally go out of their way to get you what you want.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, hcat said:

What a crowded nightmare it was walking down the pier back to the ship.. Might be nice in an exclusive enclave once on board but way too many people (and kiddos) for us.

IIRC on MSC adding kids to the cabin is FREE so you do get A LOT of children. Watch the Gary Bembridge TipsForTravellers videos for his review showing the crowded typically so common areas. 

For me separate suite Ship-within-a-Ship area is required on MSC and NCL but not on X.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, floatplan said:

IIRC on MSC adding kids to the cabin is FREE so you do get A LOT of children. Watch the Gary Bembridge TipsForTravellers videos for his review showing the crowded typically so common areas. 

For me separate suite Ship-within-a-Ship area is required on MSC and NCL but not on X.

When I booked the YC I was informed that the kids for free does not apply. Maybe it changes with difference promotions.

3 minutes ago, billc23 said:

When I booked the YC I was informed that the kids for free does not apply. Maybe it changes with difference promotions.

Correct - we paid $500/each for our kids in the YC.

2 hours ago, floatplan said:

But X has been promoting '3rd and 4th person is free' yes you could get that many adults but it would seem to me that's catering more to people with kids

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Correct - we paid $500/each for our kids in the YC.

I'm paying $2360 each for 2 young grandkids with their parents in a Royal Suite for a week long cruise in January. For my July YC booking, with 13 and 17 year old grandkids, it made sense to get two regular balcony rooms for them and their parents price and privacy wise. 

Edited by billc23
  • Like 1

A random thought that just occurred while working on something - on MSC in the YC Restaurant, our server learned what we liked and as the cruise went on, made recommendations based on what he knew we enjoyed. That didn't happen in Luminae.

On the flip side, and this isn't a Luminae comment as it applied to the entire ship...my wife is a vegetarian and doesn't like goat cheese.

Once one restaurant learned that, they knew that throughout the rest of the ship and every restaurant was able to adapt their menus even without her telling them. That was definitely nice not having to re-explain in every restaurant as we did every restaurant they had on the ship (MDR included).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this helpful comparison.
I've always aspired to the Celebrity Retreat but when looking at the suite sizes and actual menu samplers - I have stuck with aquaclass , or looked at princess or queen's grille suites or Regent . Your comparison has persuaded me that MSC wins hands down . 

I am currently onboard MSC Virtuosa YC and WOW ! ……

Despite booking MSC YC  a couple of times 10 yrs ago , there wasn't anything particularly striking ( just the dread of hearing the announcements and showtime quips in 4-5 languages - so much repetition, we were determined not to book MSC again ) , This time it is a completely different experience and pleasantly so . Attentive staff and excellent service , fantastic quality food and luxurious generously sized rooms , very impressive and at a fraction of cost compared to Celebrity Retreat or Regent Seven Seas..

I like the secluded rooms which are quiet and give easy access to the dining venues and theatre . The show quality was excellent too plus everything was presented in English without multi translations . Venturing outside the YC area was interesting but after 15 mins of crowds, noise and  carnival like atmosphere- I was ready to retreat to my sanctuary.

The nice thing about Celebrity would be the ability of exploring other areas, bars / cafe without the overcrowding that comes with MSC , so although within the YC confines , activities and entertainment is rather limited , it was perfectly adequate for our needs .

Price wise and value - I would say MSC wins hands down . 

( okay the alcoholic beverages might be more mediocre compared to  Regent Seven Seas etc but that is not such a priority for us ).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, pattieuk said:

Thank you so much for this helpful comparison.
I've always aspired to the Celebrity Retreat but when looking at the suite sizes and actual menu samplers - I have stuck with aquaclass , or looked at princess or queen's grille suites or Regent . Your comparison has persuaded me that MSC wins hands down . 

I am currently onboard MSC Virtuosa YC and WOW ! ……

Despite booking MSC YC  a couple of times 10 yrs ago , there wasn't anything particularly striking ( just the dread of hearing the announcements and showtime quips in 4-5 languages - so much repetition, we were determined not to book MSC again ) , This time it is a completely different experience and pleasantly so . Attentive staff and excellent service , fantastic quality food and luxurious generously sized rooms , very impressive and at a fraction of cost compared to Celebrity Retreat or Regent Seven Seas..

I like the secluded rooms which are quiet and give easy access to the dining venues and theatre . The show quality was excellent too plus everything was presented in English without multi translations . Venturing outside the YC area was interesting but after 15 mins of crowds, noise and  carnival like atmosphere- I was ready to retreat to my sanctuary.

The nice thing about Celebrity would be the ability of exploring other areas, bars / cafe without the overcrowding that comes with MSC , so although within the YC confines , activities and entertainment is rather limited , it was perfectly adequate for our needs .

Price wise and value - I would say MSC wins hands down . 

( okay the alcoholic beverages might be more mediocre compared to  Regent Seven Seas etc but that is not such a priority for us ).

This is exactly how I feel. 

I just booked a sailing on the Celebrity Apex in November and I'm considering upgrading to the Retreat to try it on an Edge-class ship to see if it's the drastically better experience some say it is, but I don't know if I will.

I'd be happy in a balcony (infinite veranda) on the Apex as well because like you said... On Celebrity the entire ship is enjoyable vs being somewhat confined to the YC.

I will say I probably don't mind the rest of the ship (beyond the YC) as much as some on here but that may be partially due to my age (41)... I'm guessing I'll be less tolerant of the larger crowds later in life. 

I will say - the shows on Celebrity were 10x better than MSC and we enjoy seeing the shows every evening. MSC has a long way to go there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I just booked a sailing on the Celebrity Apex in November and I'm considering upgrading to the Retreat to try it on an Edge-class ship to see if it's the drastically better experience some say it is, but I don't know if I will.

Retreat on E-class ships is a catch 22 for me. You do get a vastly improved Retreat Sundeck vs other ship classes. But you also get a huge number of Retreat guests--Apex has over 170 Retreat cabins. Chair hogs still run amok. Luminae functions more like a manic MDR than the intimate dining experience you get on M-class ships.

To me, MSC YC has proven to be the perfect alternative to the Celebrity Sophie's Choice of ship classes. MSC got it right with their ship designs. I no longer have to choose between a quiet enclave and great facilities. YC has both. They are now my first choice for cruising.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Retreat on E-class ships is a catch 22 for me. You do get a vastly improved Retreat Sundeck vs other ship classes. But you also get a huge number of Retreat guests--Apex has over 170 Retreat cabins. Chair hogs still run amok. Luminae functions more like a manic MDR than the intimate dining experience you get on M-class ships.

To me, MSC YC has proven to be the perfect alternative to the Celebrity Sophie's Choice of ship classes. MSC got it right with their ship designs. I no longer have to choose between a quiet enclave and great facilities. YC has both. They are now my first choice for cruising.

What I enjoy the most about the suites is a great suite lounge. 

- Comfortable seating with stunning ocean views

- Bartenders who chat when it's slow and are efficient when it's busy(er) and can anticipate what I'm going to ask for after a couple days when they see me coming 

- Interesting people to strike up a conversation with in the lounge or at dinner

- Convenient access from our room to the lounge and restaurant

- A quality restaurant with a variety of dishes every night and friendly service that isn't too overbearing 

I care less about the sundeck since we have a big pool at home and my wife runs a swim school, but I realize I'm the rare exception there. 

If I don't prefer the Retreat on the Edge-class ships, I'll still be more than happy with Blu as long as the main part of the ship has a quiet spot to grab a drink in the evenings. 

I'm not even much of a drinker, but I do enjoy the quiet calm that a great lounge offers.

Hopefully that's what I'll find on the Apex if I do upgrade. 

• Like 1