Dilemma on Airfare ?

envy4u

Posted (edited)

I am from Canada and I tried to book a return flight, NON STOP, with Air Canada online and by phone with no success. I need a flight from Toronto to Rome in November and then Fort Lauderdale to Toronto in December. I’m doing a transatlantic cruise. It will not let me book a return ticket from FLL. Travel agent confirmed this. So I’m stuck booking 2 one way flights, book EZair or use my points, the latter my least favorite choice. Any other suggestions appreciated! 

Edited by envy4u
Error

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, envy4u said:

I am from Canada and I tried to book a return flight, NON STOP, with Air Canada online and by phone with no success.

Well, there are just no daily nonstop flights from Toronto to Rome in November or December. Air Canada has daily nonstop flights on this route only in summer. Try another day.

flights.google.com

Edited by EDVM96

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, EDVM96 said:

Well, there are just no nonstop flights from Toronto to Rome in November or December.

Air Canada has nonstop flight on this route only in summer.

That is incorrect. They do. But I have to buy 2 one way flights which is generally more expensive than a return ticket. Looking for other ideas 

Edited by envy4u
Error

2 minutes ago, envy4u said:

That is incorrect. They do. But I have to buy 2 one way flights which is generally more expensive than a return ticket. Looking for other ideas 

Most return flight tickets need to be from the same city you fly into

9 minutes ago, envy4u said:

I am from Canada and I tried to book a return flight, NON STOP, with Air Canada online and by phone with no success. I need a flight from Toronto to Rome in November and then Fort Lauderdale to Toronto in December. I’m doing a transatlantic cruise. It will not let me book a return ticket from FLL. Travel agent confirmed this. So I’m stuck booking 2 one way flights, book EZair or use my points, the latter my least favorite choice. Any other suggestions appreciated! 

That is not a roundtrip ticket.  It is 2 one ways.  

Your best option is definitely EZAir or using your points.  
We’ve done both many times.

Only other option, is if an airline has one way discounted tickets. I’m sure your TA has searched for you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, envy4u said:

I don’t quite understand your question. Because or your itinerary, your trip is known as an ‘open jaw’ ticket which is basically 2 one way tickets? Do not understand your statement cannot book ‘return’ ticket from FLL, which many people use to mean a roundtrip , which you are not doing, as you only need one way FLL to Toronto.

You also do not need to use EZAir to book both segments. You can book departure only or return only. So if EZAir has a good fare for Toronto to Rome, just book that departure only and you have option to book Air Canada with $ or points for FLL to Toronto. EzAir does not always have ‘every’ flight available for you routes.

• Like 1

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

That is not a roundtrip ticket.  It is 2 one ways.  

That's the problem. It's not even a multi.city.

6 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Not daily. I edited my post. Sorry.

That is correct. Not daily but that’s not my issue. What does one do when on a transatlantic and wants a round trip, not 2 one ways. 

8 minutes ago, memoak said:

Most return flight tickets need to be from the same city you fly into

It’s a transatlantic that’s why I am asking for suggestions 

1 minute ago, envy4u said:

That is correct. Not daily but that’s not my issue. What does one do when on a transatlantic and wants a round trip, not 2 one ways. 

There is not a "roundtrip" airflight option for a cruise that begins in one city and ends in a different one.  By the nature of it, it's 2 one way tickets.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wallyj said:

I don’t quite understand your question. Because or your itinerary, your trip is known as an ‘open jaw’ ticket which is basically 2 one way tickets? Do not understand your statement cannot book ‘return’ ticket from FLL, which many people use to mean a roundtrip , which you are not doing, as you only need one way FLL to Toronto.

You also do not need to use EZAir to book both segments. You can book departure only or return only. So if EZAir has a good fare for Toronto to Rome, just book that departure only and you have option to book Air Canada with $ or points for FLL to Toronto. EzAir does not always have ‘every’ flight available for you routes.

Sorry for the confusion. I need a flight from Toronto to Rome and a flight from Fort Lauderdale to Toronto. Doing a transatlantic. Only must it needs to be non stop. I’m flexible with dates. 

Posted (edited)

Yes, you’re booking an open jaw. For flights to/from Europe on most airlines one ways are the same price (or more) than a return ticket. Your one way from FLL to Toronto won’t be a problem though. 
EZ air is the best cost option in cases like these for transatlantic cruises. We are using our aeroplan points for business one way for ours in November. Luckily we got them when they were released last year and the points required was low. As you probably know, it goes up as time goes on. We paid cash for our flights home from FLL.

Are you planning to do a transatlantic in the spring too? What people have done is book the flights as a return ticket leaving Canada in November with the return flight date to match up with a spring TA in the opposite direction.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1

Transat and porter are codeshare partners, not sure if you can make something work with them?  Transat Toronto to Rome and Porter FLL to Toronto.

3 minutes ago, envy4u said:

This is not a permissible open jaw.  It is 2 one ways.  A round trip ticket does not apply.  A permissible open jaw would be…

the distance between your OJ can not be greater than the distance between your other cities on the ticket… Rome to FLL is a greater distance.  

Don’t think you need the explanation, just trying to tell you it does NOT qualify as a roundtrip or a permissible OJ ticket.  

TA itineraries would have to be one way tickets.  

EZAir has special rates with the cruiselines…Consolidator's AIr Cruise prices.  That’s why they can offer good one way fares.

Sorry, other than mileage points, or searching for airline one way tickets, IDK what else to tell you.

• Like 2

Make a flexible reservation now though EZAir to secure space.  Monitor the air prices through EZAir and with the airline directly.  You can cancel Flexible EZAir reservations up until 45 days of the first flight segment no penalty.  You're not obligated to pay for Flexible EZAir reservations until final payment of your cruise and even if you decide to cancel/refare up to the 45 day mark, the EZAir portion can be refunded completely (if you book directly with the airline) or the price difference can be refunded (if refaring through EZAir).

If you're on the Caribbean Princess TA, also keep in mind that the return falls during the American Thanksgiving travel rush, which is the week of 11/24 (Thanksgiving is 11/28).  Not sure if this will affect availability for flights to Canada, but definitely pack your patience at the airport in FLL.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@envy4u, have you looked at EZAir for booking the departure only Toronto to Rome. As posted by others earlier, when booking direct with many airlines, a one way international fare is sometimes almost the same fare as roundtrip. EZAir has had very good one way international fares. Then you should look to see if  booking the FLL to Toronto leg in EZAir is reasonable or just book Air Canada using points or $.Yes, I know FLL to Toronto is an international flight, but that route one way is usually not so outrageous as booking NA to Europe, one way.

When you are checking EZAir, there is a drop down box to select, departure AND return,  departure only or return only. If you book departure only or return only, you cannot later change to departure and return.

Edited by wallyj

26 minutes ago, envy4u said:

What one does is to buy 2 one way tickets

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, envy4u said:

Sorry for the confusion. I need a flight from Toronto to Rome and a flight from Fort Lauderdale to Toronto. Doing a transatlantic. Only must it needs to be non stop. I’m flexible with dates. 

I looked on AC website and just put in Nov 12 one way YYZ FCO  and one way FLL YYZ on Dec 3.  There is a non stop each way.  Use your filter button when searching flights.  Click non stop.

15 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Make a flexible reservation now though EZAir to secure space.  Monitor the air prices through EZAir and with the airline directly.  You can cancel Flexible EZAir reservations up until 45 days of the first flight segment no penalty.  You're not obligated to pay for Flexible EZAir reservations until final payment of your cruise and even if you decide to cancel/refare up to the 45 day mark, the EZAir portion can be refunded completely (if you book directly with the airline) or the price difference can be refunded (if refaring through EZAir).

If you're on the Caribbean Princess TA, also keep in mind that the return falls during the American Thanksgiving travel rush, which is the week of 11/24 (Thanksgiving is 11/28).  Not sure if this will affect availability for flights to Canada, but definitely pack your patience at the airport in FLL.

Thanks for the info. 

Luckily staying in Miami after the cruise. 

Aeroplan for one way from Rome is my suggestion.  Is it non stop?

Aeroplan has a promotion on up to 85% bonus to buy points until June 21. Book fully refundable and you can watch fares.

1 minute ago, dog said:

Aeroplan for one way from Rome is my suggestion.  Is it non stop?

Aeroplan has a promotion on up to 85% bonus to buy points until June 21. Book fully refundable and you can watch fares.

There is no plane needed from Rome. They need  Toronto to Rome and then Lauderdale to Toronto 

All of the above posts are right on point.

Air - Toronto to Rome

Sea - Rome to Fort Lauderdale

Air - FLL to Toronto

That is technically your itinerary which will require 2 one way tickets giving you many options:

EZ Air round trip

EZ Air one way to Europe/pay from FLL

Pay to fly to Europe/EZ Air back to Toronto

Use points in the same combination

I have found EZ Air to have extremely good rates for international travel.  Used it to go to Japan.  No way could I match their round trip (not open jaw).  Using them to fly to LHR.  EZ Air AND direct airline never dropped once since booking flexible fare...and I did check frequently.  Costs you nothing to book a fare until 45 days out.  With Flexible, you can check as often as you like and IF fare drops, rebook at no cost.

Not sure what your concerns are?  Don't want to use EZ Air?  Can't answer questions about non-stop flights. 

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

All of the above posts are right on point.

Air - Toronto to Rome

Sea - Rome to Fort Lauderdale

Air - FLL to Toronto

That is technically your itinerary which will require 2 one way tickets giving you many options:

EZ Air round trip

EZ Air one way to Europe/pay from FLL

Pay to fly to Europe/EZ Air back to Toronto

Use points in the same combination

I have found EZ Air to have extremely good rates for international travel.  Used it to go to Japan.  No way could I match their round trip (not open jaw).  Using them to fly to LHR.  EZ Air AND direct airline never dropped once since booking flexible fare...and I did check frequently.  Costs you nothing to book a fare until 45 days out.  With Flexible, you can check as often as you like and IF fare drops, rebook at no cost.

Not sure what your concerns are?  Don't want to use EZ Air?  Can't answer questions about non-stop flights. 

Fearful as I never used EZair before. I already paid for the transatlantic in full. Air Canada will not cancel

this flight but how do I know for sure that they will be holding this seat for me and not selling it online to someone else? Should I pay in full for EZair or can I wait with confidence?