Dress Code - Queens Grill Boarding Day Lunch

Jim_Iain

I've read much here on the dress code on Formal Nights and Regular Nights but unsure about dress code on embarkation day.   With the good possibility that we will be going to lunch prior to our luggage is delivered wanted to make sure we are ok for lunch in what we are wearing or whether we need to have something extra in our carry-on.   I'll probably be wearing Black Jeans and  a Polo type shirt and Sketchers--- is this too casual?

Since this will be our first Cunard cruise didn't want to be under dressed or overdressed.

• Like 4

I think for most daytime meal venues - the dress code is something similar to 'No wet swimwear' but is otherwise relaxed.

On embarkation day [unless it is brutally hot] I like to wear for boarding a jacket that would be presentable at a non gala night dinner, then hang the jacket up until dinner time.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'll probably be wearing Black Jeans and  a Polo type shirt and Sketchers--- is this too casual?

Since this will be our first Cunard cruise didn't want to be under dressed or overdressed.

That would be fine for lunch (and breakfast) on any day, including embarkation day. A light jacket may be helpful if you find the a/c a bit chilly. Also bear in mind that if you were looking to do fish and chips in the Golden Lion, being a Grills passenger means that on embarkation day you should be on board before 80% or so of other passengers, so it may be the best day for it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

That would be fine for lunch (and breakfast) on any day, including embarkation day. A light jacket may be helpful if you find the a/c a bit chilly. Also bear in mind that if you were looking to do fish and chips in the Golden Lion, being a Grills passenger means that on embarkation day you should be on board before 80% or so of other passengers, so it may be the best day for it.

Perfect -  I feel so much more comfortable knowing that we won't be under dressed.   Living in Silicon Valley dress can be very casual but at the same time no one would blink an eye if you walked in wearing a Tux.  

I'm really excited to bring my Tux along.   I bought a nice Versace Tux just before many cruise lines droped Fomal nights and I've only gotten to wear it a handful of times.   I always enjoy dressing for the Opera and other festive events but the opportunities are really disappearing.

We will probably be eating in Queens Grill to sort out our table.   While we love Fish and Chips - we will be spending a week in Lymington post cruise before driving to Scotland for a week to Visit Iain's Family.  

We discovered Lymington a couple years ago after being tossed off a Celebrity Ships on a B3B after testing positive for Covid.   There is a fish and chip place across the street from our AirBnB and a fantastic Cornish Pasty shop next door... can't wait.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've read much here on the dress code on Formal Nights and Regular Nights but unsure about dress code on embarkation day.   With the good possibility that we will be going to lunch prior to our luggage is delivered wanted to make sure we are ok for lunch in what we are wearing or whether we need to have something extra in our carry-on.   I'll probably be wearing Black Jeans and  a Polo type shirt and Sketchers--- is this too casual?

Casual but Presentable....All are in different states of travel - local and distance.

From our point of view when we ate in Princess Grill on embarking day....

Casual Pants and Polo Shirt and maybe a light jacket in case the restaurant had A/C med-high.

Just Relax on Boarding......Enjoy the View of the Queen's Interior....Find Your Way to Deck 7

Enjoy Your Lunch.....And......BON VOYAGE!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Perfect.

Sling a sweater over your shoulders in case the air con is a bit chilly but no need for a jacket.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

I think for most daytime meal venues - the dress code is something similar to 'No wet swimwear' but is otherwise relaxed.

On embarkation day [unless it is brutally hot] I like to wear for boarding a jacket that would be presentable at a non gala night dinner, then hang the jacket up until dinner time.

Given that it's going to be a heatwave* in Southampton this coming Sunday, I will be boarding QA in shorts, so as they aren't wet swimwear I assume they'll be Ok for PG lunch...

(* that is a joke, but shorts are comfortable...)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Perfect.

Sling a sweater over your shoulders in case the air con is a bit chilly but no need for a jacket.

What is the AC like on QA in the grills restaurants? (I know you are QG - we are PG but I'd assume that they are set similarly)

• Like 1

I know it is not QA but on QE in QG we found the temp to be perfect and it is something we often have issue with.

35 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

What is the AC like on QA in the grills restaurants? (I know you are QG - we are PG but I'd assume that they are set similarly)

• Like 1

Just now, e&mcruise said:

I know it is not QA but on QE in QG we found the temp to be perfect and it is something we often have issue with.

ah yes, but is that male perfect (~19C) or female perfect (~23C).  The old office AC controls warfare...

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

male perfect (~19C)

Perhaps for an overnight bedroom temperature or in gym during a workout.

For us and the cats that would be good reason to leave home!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, D&N said:

Yes, maybe 21C would be OK.  don't want restaurants too warm...

But yes, hotel rooms have to be 19C or less overnight for me and the OH

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

Opposite in our house. 

Here too. I would have to go somewhere else at 23, while my husband is nearly always cold. However, I didn’t find the QG restaurant particularly warm even so.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

WE were by the window so got rather warm when the sun [yes, the sun did shine ...occasionally] shone.

I was also glad of a pashmina at times too but we were never cold so just be a boy scout and go prepared. 🙂

• Like 5

Just now, Victoria2 said:

WE were by the window so got rather warm when the sun [yes, the sun did shine ...occasionally] shone.

I was also glad of a pashmina at times too but we were never cold so just be a boy scout and go prepared. 🙂

You'd have been better off on one of those bench seats that everyone was complaining about 😉

Norway next week looks like mostly cloud 😐

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

ah yes, but is that male perfect (~19C) or female perfect (~23C).  The old office AC controls warfare...

You were never in my office with three ladies that were going through that time of life and turning the air conditioner down.   They would actually joke about it and we all were accommodating.

That is the reason that we always dress with layers.   I also bring layered clothing on cruises.  

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, D&N said:

Living in the SF Bay area --- that can be our regular temperatures outside in the mornings.   We can be like the UK but no rain.   The afternoons  usually aren't much hotter than 24.

• Like 2

You will need layers when you walk the promenade.   Sometimes they will block the doors if the wind is over 50 or 60 miles along the deck.   Even in the worst weather folks find a way outside and I watch them walking.   We always get the spa pass and use the loungers to watch the deck and the sea.   In December we watched the folks walking with hail all over the deck, it must have been slippery.   The spa lounge is on the starboard side near the gym.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You will need layers when you walk the promenade.   Sometimes they will block the doors if the wind is over 50 or 60 miles along the deck.   Even in the worst weather folks find a way outside and I watch them walking.   We always get the spa pass and use the loungers to watch the deck and the sea.   In December we watched the folks walking with hail all over the deck, it must have been slippery.   The spa lounge is on the starboard side near the gym.

We usually travel with a Rain Slicker that is so waterproof it gets toasty, Puffers, Sweaters and sweat shirts.   Have sailed Iceland / Greenland and was perfect.  

Iain's a smoker and is accustomed to braving the outside smoking areas.   If it is cold and windy - he's on his own.   I do enjoy walking but am accustomed to finding alternatives e.g. the gym elliptical when they close the decks.

• Like 1

If you like Lymington you maybe interested in the movie Wicked Little Letters. It’s a movie based there  just after the First World War. Based on fact with the usual Hollywood interpretation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1