2026 NCL Cruise Critic cruise (proposed)

36 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

@debenson0723 I think the anomaly was how you and T were unable to text each other, despite the fact that you both had unlimited wifi. Though I did not text T, @graphicguy and I were able to text each other using the ship's unlimited wifi. Also, I've never had any issues texting anyone with an iPhone or Samsung using the ship's unlimited wifi.

Was is tragic is the fact that the Joy has closed the loophole for iMessaging...so no more iPhone to iPhone texting unless using the FAS minutes or paid internet access.

Hmmm...I always have unlimited wi-fi and have never been able to text anyone on board a ship while my phone was in airplane mode. That was first for me. Using whatsapp or FB messanger is how we have always done it thru unlimited wi-fi.

• Like 1

@debenson0723 and @Sugar Magnolia  BTW. happy belated birthday to ya all.  Holed up at home on the 4th for a quiet & peaceful evening, BBQ party out in the suburb on Saturday - been somewhat unusually odd & strange holiday, hasn't heard any loud M80's and fireworks going off, yet coming from our mostly redneck neighborhood as they usually do began celebrating early.  No complaints as I got 3 desktop PC to refurbished and upgrade, keeping myself out of trouble ... (no news is good news ??

Oddly enough, I had the best & fastest speedtest results onboard the Joy twice in 2022, 2 to 3X faster than the "newest" Starlink raw numbers without the streaming option, and forget the "known" open SMS secrets about & among iPhone users without needing to be "logged" in.  Higher ups at NCL I.T. figured out their options and began blocking & shutting the loopholes down, if it still work on another vessel, hush & don't tell and certainly don't ask about it here openly.  I suspect, with newer hardware (whether it's iPhone 13 or 14, not sure about 12's and Galaxy S21, S22 and newer, possibly the mid-range A series running Android 13 and 14's - the SMS messaging "headers" were getting thru, up until recently / earlier this "year" - partially has to do with the WiFi, data roaming, and airplane mode settings on the specific device(s) in use, i.e. looking at iOS 17x under Settings/Cellular and tab under "Carrier" & scroll down to Data Mode - default is "Standard" vs "Low Data Mode"   How these and similar settings elsewheres, depending on your "home" carrier's default settings can and has been known to affect data usage and how/when push messages get thru or not.   Nowadays, Google is using RCS standards for its messaging whereas Apple isn't and between the giants, they are trying to work out their security & compatibility issues ... Certain messages are now being classified as "premium" SMS or messaging and no longer free flowing when pushed (broadcasted to a entire "group" or subscriber's listing of 10's, hundreds and thousands on the distribution list)  

Amber alerts and "urgent" weather warnings, OEM / NYC EM notification messages, etc. used to come thru as send & distributed, even when I'm onboard and the nearest land tower is hundreds, if not thousands of miles away - airplane mode on, cellular & data off, etc. - not anymore recently on the Prima ... some came thru while others didn't: platform-specific and also part of the IT sector's consolidated efforts to filter spams, junk & nuisance emails & texting.  My dentist's office staff "complained" that they couldn't reach me to do a reminder call & were "intercepted" by (AI-enhanced) voice prompts as to who, what & purpose of calls, etc. when they "connected" as I forget to add the extra number on my Contact list & they couldn't get thru ... LOL, good excuse to postpone my next root canal procedure this month, right. 

Beginning of the June, friends on the Joy was still able to text each other over iPhone (as usual) and by the time you all along with Dan were off the gangway at Pier 88, those that subsequently sailed began reporting "trouble" and I read elsewhere, it's no longer working too.  Maybe, on future NCL cruises, it's back to good old cabin-to-cabin voice mails & stickies outside by the "mail slot" or paying the $10 "ransom" to use the NCL Messaging App function, which we did try either in 2022 or 2023 with our friends, and it was a waste of time, not the money as $10 or $20 per couple, coming out of OBC wasn't bad per se.  

Will continue to lurk & look for other reports from those "live" at sea to learn more about it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Hmmm...I always have unlimited wi-fi and have never been able to text anyone on board a ship while my phone was in airplane mode. That was first for me. Using whatsapp or FB messanger is how we have always done it thru unlimited wi-fi.

Obviously, we have a magical connection beyond birthday month. 

My less than scientific conclusion is that texting on the ship may or may not work between iPhone and Samsung users, even when both parties are using unlimited wifi. 

When traveling with my posse and if everyone is on unlimited wifi, we do find using WhatsApp is a better choice, especially when there are both iPhone and Samsung users in the group.

Some of us do not have FB accounts so FB Messenger is out of the question. The third alternative is using the $10 NCL messenger app which served us well on the Prima TA in April.

• Haha 1

Think it’s weird that NCL has a messaging plan and if all you really want to do is text, you just use the FAS WiFi minutes.  150 FAS minutes, while kludgy to sign in and out of all the time, would be plenty for texting only.

20 mins/day for texting should be plenty given it takes a minute to compose and send/receive  a message!

2 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Who’s your carrier?

25 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Think it’s weird that NCL has a messaging plan and if all you really want to do is text, you just use the FAS WiFi minutes.  150 FAS minutes, while kludgy to sign in and out of all the time, would be plenty for texting only.

20 mins/day for texting should be plenty given it takes a minute to compose and send/receive  a message!

The $10 NCL messaging plan was a great way for the group to communicate, especially during sea days when we were planning meals and activities. We saved those precious FAS minutes to communicate back home. I also don't think some in the group knew how to use a landline phone, or in this case, a cruiseline phone.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Like 1

On the Jade four months ago, we were able to text back and forth to our "surprise" traveling companions. We both had I-phones and just texted normally, without any additional charges or buying any additional plans. I'm about as technically challenged as anyone you'll ever meet, so don't ask how we pulled this off. All I know is it worked.

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

On the Jade four months ago, we were able to text back and forth to our "surprise" traveling companions. We both had I-phones and just texted normally, without any additional charges or buying any additional plans. I'm about as technically challenged as anyone you'll ever meet, so don't ask how we pulled this off. All I know is it worked.

Yes, there is a loophole which allows iMessaging between iPhones. Unfortunately, NCL is beginning to close that loophole. On the Joy a few weeks ago, I was unable to text from my iPhone to another iPhone unless using the FAS minutes or paid internet access. 

I was going to suggest doing the POA in Hawaii for #Schmoopiefest 2026...since we have never been (except for me stopping for an hour on the way overseas in the Army) until we talked to our world-wise TA yesterday.

She said the cruise/ship is just okay (even though Hawaii is a lot more than just okay). We told her we are also considering Croatia (and that area) and she instantly said, "Do it. We've been three times and are already thinking about a fourth."

So...if/when NCL gets around to putting out their 2026 Europe schedules, Croatia would be at the top of our list. Of course, the overall itinerary (and ship) would be important, too.

Not ruling anything out, as well.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I was going to suggest doing the POA in Hawaii for #Schmoopiefest 2026...since we have never been (except for me stopping for an hour on the way overseas in the Army) until we talked to our world-wise TA yesterday.

She said the cruise/ship is just okay (even though Hawaii is a lot more than just okay). We told her we are also considering Croatia (and that area) and she instantly said, "Do it. We've been three times and are already thinking about a fourth."

So...if/when NCL gets around to putting out their 2026 Europe schedules, Croatia would be at the top of our list. Of course, the overall itinerary (and ship) would be important, too.

Not ruling anything out, as well.

Have you considered Paul Gauguin for a trip for you and Mrs?

15 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Who’s your carrier?

Good Q and a generic one for many:  cruising ahead, this is going to be an interesting question for 2025 into 2026. 

We are on Google Fi (MNVO domestic coverage with T-Mobile USA's infrastructure and partnering with Starlink)  

https://www.phonearena.com/news/T-Mobile-subscribers-have-another-reason-to-be-happy-on-4th-of-July-as-SpaceX-delivers-exciting-news_id160114

This developing news is mainly a FYI only for now until more details become available, and specifics are known.  Some will likely need to upgrade, buy / invest in newer mid-range or flagship tier hardware (smartphone and/or iPhone, already "current" ones are said to be compatible, aside from software/app upgrades) - as this is mostly device to low orbit satellite within (lines-of-sight) range acting as cellular receiver for messaging, not just emergency (911/999/110 use).  It will bypass ship/vessel's transceiver/hardware, to use this - need to be out on/next to a balcony and/or on open decks in the outdoor, weather permitting & not obstructed by cloud covers, etc. 

Not going to help for streaming HD content, watch Super Bowl or World Series, etc.  But, I see this a game changing once launched for those that don't need a nearly continuous connection while at sea, depending on ship's itinerary and on-the-move location on high sea, probably still not that "practical" on those typical TA and TP crossing, passing thru Greenland and Iceland or cruising Antarctica as coverage are likely going to remain orbits-limited.  Details are sketchy until it is a done deal, probably still need to log in using those "precious" WiFi minutes to check for any or all in-bound (non-instant) messages.  

• Like 2

@mking8288...thanks!  Good news....probably because I'm a T-Mobile customer.

Been pleased with T-Mobile (coming from Verizon).  Have had them for a few years, now.  No real  complaints....even when traveling internationally.  And, I find the WiFi calling and speed on NCL (using NCL WiFi minutes) to be more than acceptable.

This sounds like it will be available in more places.  And, unless I'm reading the PR wrong, by cutting out ship based WiFi entirely if you have "line of sight" access to Starlink.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, omahabob said:

So, which itinerary is planned for this cruise? The Google Sheet shows several different ones.

For 2026, we are waiting for NCL to announce its European sailings for the summer, in addition to the two cruises already listed on the Google spreadsheet.

For 2025, Team @schmoopie17 is sailing on the Joy Panama Cruise from LA to Miami departing on 2/6/2025. Team @cruiseny4life is sailing on the Getaway Western Caribbean RT NOLA departing 2/2/25.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

@mking8288...thanks!  Good news....probably because I'm a T-Mobile customer.

Been pleased with T-Mobile (coming from Verizon).  Have had them for a few years, now.  No real  complaints....even when traveling internationally.  And, I find the WiFi calling and speed on NCL (using NCL WiFi minutes) to be more than acceptable.

This sounds like it will be available in more places.  And, unless I'm reading the PR wrong, by cutting out ship based WiFi entirely if you have "line of sight" access to Starlink.

Ditto!

While on my five week European Spring Fling this year, I did pay an additional $50 for the T-Mobile 30-day International Pass for 15GB high-speed data and unlimited calling. I needed the data for my solo treks. I also needed voice service to deal with a mini-crisis I left behind back at the ranch. 

However, normally I have been able to use T-Mobile in Europe, Asia and South America without having to pay anything additional. Have been very happy with T-Mobile, also having switched from Verizon and AT&T before that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Ditto!

I have been able to use T-Mobile in Europe, Asia and South America without having to pay anything additional. Have been very happy with T-Mobile, also having switched from Verizon and AT&T before that.

Double Ditto. The coverage around the world from T-Mobile has been great...all at no extra charge. We love waking up in a new port and getting the message saying, "Welcome to Timbuktu" (or wherever we may happen to be). You have unlimited FREE texts and calls."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

Have you considered Paul Gauguin for a trip for you and Mrs?

We would, but that would probably entail having to go back to work after being retired since 2015. That right there is enough to make us say "No".

NCL serves its purpose without costing an arm and a leg (or other valuable body parts).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Double Ditto. The coverage around the world from T-Mobile has been great...all at no extra charge. We love waking up in a new port and getting the message saying, "Welcome to Timbuktu" (or wherever we may happen to be). You have unlimited FREE texts and calls."

Unfortunately, I do not get unlimited free calls when traveling abroad, only unlimited free texts. Calls are $0.25 a minute for me which can add up when talking to my long-winded colleagues.

59 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

For 2026, we are waiting for NCL to announce its European sailings for the summer, in addition to the two cruises already listed on the Google spreadsheet....

There's four on the spreadsheet, two Caribbean and two LA to Mexico. Not sure I could talk the wife into a European trip, but you never know for sure. She still surprises me after 43 years.

Edited by omahabob
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, omahabob said:

There's four on the spreadsheet, two Caribbean and two LA to Mexico. Not sure I could talk the wife into a European trip, but you never know for sure. She still surprises me after 43 years.

Thanks you're right...did not know that two were added.

Let your wife know that there will be some super cool people on board, and some just moderately cool people.

Similar to 2025, perhaps there will be more than one CC cruise to join in 2026, one being a domestic one. You could lead that pack.

46 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Ditto!

While on my five week European Spring Fling this year, I did pay an additional $50 for the T-Mobile 30-day International Pass for 15GB high-speed data and unlimited calling. I needed the data for my solo treks. I also needed voice service to deal with a mini-crisis I left behind back at the ranch. 

However, normally I have been able to use T-Mobile in Europe, Asia and South America without having to pay anything additional. Have been very happy with T-Mobile, also having switched from Verizon and AT&T before that.

Opening the T-Mobile hymnal one more time, when I was still working, my company had AT&T.  Not bad.  But, the recent spate of tumbles and stumbles by them doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.....data breaches, massive outages, etc.  Verizon just simply didn't care whether they got my bill wrong, how difficult it was to work with them for any issues (if you could actually get them to work with you on THEIR issues), etc.

T-Mobile by default, but they've also been a reliable mobile phone service (even internationally, as you point out) who seem, at least on the surface, willing to please their customer base.

Plus, if you happen to be near one of their stores on a Tuesday, and you're one of their customers, they'll give you free "swag".....cheesy...but still free.  I'm all about cheesy and even more about free!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Opening the T-Mobile hymnal one more time, when I was still working, my company had AT&T.

Out of frustration and in the middle of a choppy conversation, I threw my AT&T cell phone out of the window of a moving car. In my defense, I was not driving.

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Verizon just simply didn't care whether they got my bill wrong, how difficult it was to work with them for any issues (if you could actually get them to work with you on THEIR issues), etc.

Same experience...it was like dealing with one of those massive dinosaur utility monopolies.

11 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Plus, if you happen to be near one of their stores on a Tuesday, and you're one of their customers, they'll give you free "swag".....cheesy...but still free.  I'm all about cheesy and even more about free!

Who would turn down free stuff? Not my world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Thanks you're right...did not know that two were added.

Let your wife know that there will be some super cool people on board, and some just moderately cool people.

Similar to 2025, perhaps there will be more than one CC cruise to join in 2026, one being a domestic one. You could lead that pack.

My wife is not really a social person, so the people won't sway her. I'm the motor mouth of the family. I like the Caribbean itineraries, especially the first one, but we aren't interested in anything out of LA. I'd love to go back to Europe. We lived there for several years. But combining the cruise with the other places we'd want to see would make for a long trip, and she hates leaving her fur babies for too long. But like I said, she still surprises me sometimes.

• Like 1