6/20/24: Double Cruise Credits for Captain's Circle Guests with Princess Cruises' New Loyalty Accelerator Program

1 hour ago, Boku said:

Why would the cruise count 4x for solo passengers but only 2x when travelling with another person? 

Solo travelers have to pay as if there were 2 people in the cabin. So the only benefit they ever got was that, in the past, they got double cruise credits.

So now, if everyone is getting double credits , they will get double their double - ie 4x.

Basically they are paying for 2 people so get the credit for 2 people.

Suites also always got double so those passengers will also get 4x.

I would imagine a solo traveler in a suite might get 8x.

2 cruises solo in a suite would make one Elite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Boku said:

Why would the cruise count 4x for solo passengers but only 2x when travelling with another person? 

Lots of cruise lines give double points/credits/days/whatever to solo passengers because they typically pay double (sometimes more than double!) for their cruises.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chamima said:

Solo travelers have to pay as if there were 2 people in the cabin. So the only benefit they ever got was that, in the past, they got double cruise credits.

So now, if everyone is getting double credits , they will get double their double - ie 4x.

Basically they are paying for 2 people so get the credit for 2 people.

Suites also always got double so those passengers will also get 4x.

I would imagine a solo traveler in a suite might get 8x.

2 cruises solo in a suite would make one Elite.

If you travel solo, do you pay 2x  the princess plus or premier as well? 

I could see the day coming when points/status is determined by the total dollars spent on a cruise instead of counting the number of cruises or days at sea.  While it is true that a solo cruiser pays "double", that doubled amount for an Inside cabin is often less than what the per person cost of a Mini-Suite is based on double occupancy.  So if a solo in an Inside pays $1,050 and each person in a two-person Mini-Suite pays $1,100, the solo cruiser hasn't really paid "double."  Or, more accurately, they have not added more revenue to Princess' accounting department than each person in the Mini-Suite.  And if the solo person does not purchase a package and is very frugal on board, and the people in the Mini-Suite buy the Premier Package and book several excursions through Princess, by the time everyone disembarks, the people in the Mini-Suite will have paid way more per person than the solo who "paid double."  Airlines are now doing this (awarding miles based on price paid), and I can see Princess doing this as well.  It would smooth out the inequity of having a solo cruiser reach 16 cruises after spending $8,800 (8 cruises at $1,100 each with the cruise count doubled and no onboard spending) while the two people traveling 8 times in a Mini-Suite would be stuck at 8 cruises having spent $16,000 each (8 cruises at $1,100 per person plus $560 for Premier plus $340 in excursions each cruise.)  My airline miles are now based on spending as are my hotel points.  Can my cruise points be far behind?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I could see the day coming when points/status is determined by the total dollars spent on a cruise instead of counting the number of cruises or days at sea.

I see this coming as well.  I know last year with the 50% off cruises that was offered with onboard bookings made through the Future Cruise Desk, Princess didn't make much money off the cruises I went one.  We basically got the cruise fares as buy one, get one free, and the port charges for 2 people.

The question remains, how will Princess implement this, if and when the time comes, without ruffling the feathers of the existing membership?  Even with this temporary loyalty acceleration program, look at the uproar.

Part of me wants to believe that this loyalty acceleration program will help mix up the crowd PE parties.  Aside from the the one upping aspect that turns me off, the crowd is just sad--overwhelmingly senior that thinks they've actually accomplished something by getting invited.

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

I could see the day coming when points/status is determined by the total dollars spent on a cruise instead of counting the number of cruises or days at sea. 

I think this is inevitable, though I would caution against a stereotype that solo cruisers refrain from spending on board, just as I think it’s erroneous to say that Elites don’t spend on board, either. 

Princess has given us (DH and I) exactly what I’ve wanted for years. Our per diem spending is probably twice as much as it used to be, money I’ve been more than willing to spend for a more premium experience. On the other hand, we cruise far less than we used to, also, so our annual Princess spending is probably half of what it was. I can happily live with that (my husband less so), but is Princess better off making half the revenue from us that it used to? When ships are sailing full, I’d say that they are, but when they are heavily discounting to fill the last cabins on the ship, I’m not sure. 

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I would caution against a stereotype that solo cruisers refrain from spending on board,

If that’s how it came off, it wasn’t intended as such. It was just for illustrative purposes. It is certainly true that many people who sail in Inside cabins (solo or double) live the high life on board, booking the Sanctuary, Thermal Suite, Specially Dining, all with money they save by choosing an Inside cabin. Personally, that’s how I would roll if my wife would allow it. But she will not abide a cabin with no exterior wall. 

• Like 1

I plan to become Elite early next year but with this promotion I can be Elite just after 1 trip this year.  

I am debating whether or not to spend around $650 (solo in an inside cabin + princess plus + taxes) for an unnecessary 3 night cruise.   (4X the trip credit)

I plan to take my first MSC cruise this Dec.  MSC will match Princess Elite to MSC Diamond.  Not sure if MSC diamond benefits worth an investment of $650…. 

4 minutes ago, ccheng6401 said:

I plan to take my first MSC cruise this Dec.  MSC will match Princess Elite to MSC Diamond.  Not sure if MSC diamond benefits worth an investment of $650

Just note...MSC's loyalty match is valid for one time use only.  Also MSC's loyalty accumulation expires after 36 months; any points earned will for forfeited after 36 months of no activity and your loyalty number will expire.  So if do the status match and don't cruise with MSC for 3 years, not only do you forfeit the points but also the ability to do status match again.

20 hours ago, Boku said:

Solo passengers get 2x credits per sailing because they usually pay double the fare. Under the promotion that gets doubled so they will receive 4x the credits. 

ETA… Please pretend that I was able to somehow delete this post because I did not see that this had already been answered several times. 😂

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ccheng6401 said:

I plan to become Elite early next year but with this promotion I can be Elite just after 1 trip this year.  

I am debating whether or not to spend around $650 (solo in an inside cabin + princess plus + taxes) for an unnecessary 3 night cruise.   (4X the trip credit)

I plan to take my first MSC cruise this Dec.  MSC will match Princess Elite to MSC Diamond.  Not sure if MSC diamond benefits worth an investment of $650…. 

I have been Diamond on MSC for a while now (had status matched to Gold from NCL initially). The main advantages of Diamond are priority boarding, one specialty dining meal, robe/slippers in your cabin, and the ability to stay in your room an hour later than everyone else on disembarkation day. Not sure it's worth $650, but presumably you would also get to enjoy that 3-day cruise so you get that out of the deal!

• Like 1