On Board Time

Will be sailing from Honolulu to Vancouver next year.  I wear an Apple Watch exclusively.   For about 4-5 days we will be in the middle of nowhere.  How does the Apple Watch correct itself to the current time zone, if there is no signal available. Or does my I phone connect to the internet and communicate the time to the watch?

You have to change it manually. They will give you instructions every day on the ship whether or not that is a day to change time or not actually the time you set your phone and watch before you go to sleep.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

But why do you really need to.  Only time important per se on cruise vacation is ship time.  

Right. That's why I'd want my watch to reflect that.

2 hours ago, bikerunner said:

But why do you really need to.  Only time important per se on cruise vacation is ship time.  

The ship may switch between time zones sooner than the actual longitudinal line of demarcation as you go from one time zone to another.  There is a possibility that your watch will not match ship time if you don’t manually adjust it.  

• Like 1

I choose to wear an analog watch while traveling to assure I can keep up with ship time.  Phone is left in airplane mode as well as data roaming turned off until I choose for them to be on.  Also do not have the phone auto select time zone.  Just works for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

The OP chooses to wear an Apple Watch exclusively so will need the strategy to keep the watch on ship time.

As I understand there are two ways to do this, both of which have been mentioned 

(1) Keep iPhone adjusted to ship's time (check each morning with ships time displayed on the TV)

and enable Bluetooth on both iPhone and Apple Watch.  The watch will sync with the iPHone

(2) Manually set Apple Watch to ships time (check each morning with ships time displayed on the TV) 

From my experience over 24 years I can confirm -

1.  You're Iphone or any other device automatically change to be in sync with the ship.

2.  Normally position and time is automatically  derived via Internet Connection and depending on which server the ship is tied into.   Could be Miami, Seattle, Various places in Asia and Europe. 

3.  The only way to keep your watch in sync with the ship is to manually adjust your phone.

4.   FitBit doesn't like just changing the time and generally requires me to select a timezone which corresponds with the time.    I'm not sure if Apple Watch will just accept a manual change of the time.   Because of this I preload my World Clock with all the timezones I will need and then look them up under timezone.    I usually change my clock before going to bed so I know what time it is when I wake up.

• Like 1

1. Set your phone to a city that is in the time zone that you want to change to.   Your watch should change when you do that.    A lot easier than waiting for it automatically because as others have mentioned that the ship will decide what time zone to use and it may not be the correct one you are in.   Try it at home instead of waiting to do it on the ship.  

1. They will do this so that so the passengers will get use to the change before it is needed.   EG.  They are at sea the day before a port.  They will change on the sea day instead of when arriving at the port because it doesn’t affect the passengers if they get up a hour late for breakfast but it could if that happened in the port.  

2. Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅