Weird Document Trend - Parents Bring Birth Certificates for Kids, but just DLs for Adults

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

On my iPhone if I hold down the left side button and the right side button at the same time it will give me the option of an emergency SOS call. The phone figures out which emergency number to call from my location.

My phone can also connect to a satellite for an emergency call if there is no cell service. iPhone 14 or later can do that. Sweet. 

Good to know!

DH is getting a new iPhone, so will check what version.

I doubt mine is recent enough.  (And it's smaller than any new one, so I really don't want to let it go.  I still dearly miss my little Blackberry with it's tiny but real keypad!  Yup, I'm a bit of a dinosaur...)

Thanks very much for mentioning this.

GC

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

On my iPhone if I hold down the left side button and the right side button at the same time it will give me the option of an emergency SOS call. The phone figures out which emergency number to call from my location.

My phone can also connect to a satellite for an emergency call if there is no cell service. iPhone 14 or later can do that. Sweet. 

I've noticed that here in the States. It never occurred to me it would function in other countries.  Very good thing to know - thanks for sharing.  

13 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I've noticed that here in the States. It never occurred to me it would function in other countries.  Very good thing to know - thanks for sharing.  

Also your phone can call Emergency services in Airplane mode. You can set your phone to call Emergency services automatically after a countdown. I have mine set so if I press the side button 5 times fast it will start a countdown and call emergency services unless I abort the call. When you press both both side buttons and cancel, and you don’t call Emergency Services or Power Off, your phone will go to  your Lock Screen and you have to use your passcode, not biometrics to return to the Home Screen. So if you think some countries authorities are going to try and get into your phone you can force them to ask for your passcode to get into your phone. They can’t just hold it up to your face.  I always do that before going through any customs and immigration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2024 at 7:37 AM, Charles4515 said:

The phone figures out which emergency number to call from my location.

What about countries that have multiple emergency numbers? Like in Japan there are separate numbers for police and ambulance so which service will the iPhone default to in that case? 

25 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

What about countries that have multiple emergency numbers? Like in Japan there are separate numbers for police and ambulance so which service will the iPhone default to in that case? 

It will call whatever emergency number Japanese iPhones call. The iPhone is popular in Japan. You are welcome to research it. 

If you are in doubt what you can also do is say Siri call the police. Or Siri call the fire department. Siri call for an ambulance. Siri will call the correct number in any country you are in. 

Edited by Charles4515

43 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It will call whatever emergency number Japanese iPhones call. The iPhone is popular in Japan. You are welcome to research it. 

If you are in doubt what you can also do is say Siri call the police. Or Siri call the fire department. Siri call for an ambulance. Siri will call the correct number in any country you are in. 

I did not know that but I have use “Siri call emergency”. She called my sister who is my emergency contact.  That worked as she is trained to handle emergencies 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I did not know that but I have use “Siri call emergency”. She called my sister who is my emergency contact.  That worked as she is trained to handle emergencies 

Actually it wasn’t t funny at the time, now it is. I ended up with a bloody face, no front teeth and a huge concussion.  

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

Actually it wasn’t t funny at the time, now it is. I ended up with a bloody face, no front teeth and a huge concussion.  

The phone didn’t detect a crash or fall? When I tripped and fell face down on the sidewalk a couple of years ago my phone called 911. I do have fall detection and crash detection turned on. 

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The phone didn’t detect a crash or fall? When I tripped and fell face down on the sidewalk a couple of years ago my phone called 911. I do have fall detection and crash detection turned on. 

No, I was semi conscious and couldn’t figure out how to use the phone but had enough presence of mind to say Siri call emergency.   It was a sports injury - out jogging solo early in the morning 

Edited by Mary229

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

No offence to your reply but if a phone has to popular in the country to be reliable that is not exactly comforting 😂. As handy as the technology is I think it would be important information to know before travelling especially if in a country where English isn't common it could take up precious time before you realise the phone called the wrong service. 

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Fall detection isn't always perfect. My dad had an emergency fall detection device and sometimes it would call when he sat down too fast and when he did have a fall sometimes it wouldn't detect it. 

17 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

No offence to your reply but if a phone has to popular in the country to be reliable that is not exactly comforting 😂. As handy as the technology is I think it would be important information to know before travelling especially if in a country where English isn't common it could take up precious time before you realise the phone called the wrong service. 

It doesn’t have to be popular to be reliable. I just mentioned that to highlight that Apple phones know the emergency number in Japan. . Memorize the emergency numbers to your hearts content. 🙄

29 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Fall detection isn't always perfect. My dad had an emergency fall detection device and sometimes it would call when he sat down too fast and when he did have a fall sometimes it wouldn't detect it. 

It isn’t perfect, it is pretty intelligent though and probably way better than the device. It learns from mistakes. Fall detection and crash detection on iPhones has saved a lot of lives. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

It doesn’t have to be popular to be reliable. I just mentioned that to highlight that Apple phones know the emergency number in Japan. . Memorize the emergency numbers to your hearts content. 🙄

I'm not saying the technology is bad but I am concerned when you say it works all around the world as if every emergency services are based on the same system as the USA. In the USA emergency means Ambulance, Fire Police but when you say emergency service in Japan it is only Ambulance or Fire. In countries like China there is three different numbers for each service. I admit I am probably being pedantic but it would make me more comfortable to know beforehand who I would be calling if using iPhone emergency in countries where it is not one number for all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I'm not saying the technology is bad but I am concerned when you say it works all around the world as if every emergency services are based on the same system as the USA. In the USA emergency means Ambulance, Fire Police but when you say emergency service in Japan it is only Ambulance or Fire. In countries like China there is three different numbers for each service. I admit I am probably being pedantic but it would make me more comfortable to know beforehand who I would be calling if using iPhone emergency in countries where it is not one number for all. 

You are overthinking how emergency calling works. You do what you are comfortable doing. With an iPhone if you call emergency SOS you are going to be routed to an emergency number if there is cell service. Next yesr we will be able send video to emergency dispatch that can receive video. If in an area with no cell coverage with my phone there is the satellite feature for emergencies. There is a demo built in which I have tried which walks through connecting by satellite. Coming next year iMessage by satellite for any texting if there is no cell service, not just emergency calls by satellite. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You are overthinking how emergency calling works. You do what you are comfortable doing. With an iPhone if you call emergency SOS you are going to be routed to an emergency number if there is cell service. Next yesr we will be able send video to emergency dispatch that can receive video. If in an area with no cell coverage with my phone there is the satellite feature for emergencies. There is a demo built in which I have tried which walks through connecting by satellite. Coming next year iMessage by satellite for any texting if there is no cell service, not just emergency calls by satellite. 

OK now I am really confused. Why is it over thinking to want to know if I am calling ambulance, fire or police? Isn't that the basics of emergency calling, determining which service you need? Especially if you are in a country where English isn't common I would have thought getting through to the right service would be pretty important? Who wants to waste time trying to explain a medical emergency to the fire service😱.

Pictures would probably help but I would have thought expanding SOS beyond 16 countries would be more useful for travellers. Do you think it will ever come with a translate service? Because that would be amazingly useful for travel emergencies. That is a service I would pay extra for😂

49 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

OK now I am really confused. Why is it over thinking to want to know if I am calling ambulance, fire or police? Isn't that the basics of emergency calling, determining which service you need? Especially if you are in a country where English isn't common I would have thought getting through to the right service would be pretty important? Who wants to waste time trying to explain a medical emergency to the fire service😱.

Pictures would probably help but I would have thought expanding SOS beyond 16 countries would be more useful for travellers. Do you think it will ever come with a translate service? Because that would be amazingly useful for travel emergencies. That is a service I would pay extra for😂

In countries with more than one number using emergency SOS you choose the service you need. So you don’t need to know the numbers. It is up to each country’s emergency service whether they have a translate service. The number of countries that support the satellite emergency SOS service has increased over time. It will continue to increase. That is regulatory and must be worked out with each countries emergency service. A bunch of languages are supported. 

When you make a call with SOS, your iPhone automatically calls the local emergency number and shares your location information with emergency services1. In some countries and regions, you might need to choose the service that you need. For example, in China mainland you can choose police, fire, or ambulance

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

In countries with more than one number using emergency SOS you choose the service you need. It is up to each country’s emergency service whether they have a translate service. The number of countries that support the satellite emergency service has increased over time. That is regulatory. 

When you make a call with SOS, your iPhone automatically calls the local emergency number and shares your location information with emergency services1. In some countries and regions, you might need to choose the service that you need. For example, in China mainland you can choose police, fire, or ambulance

I read that part online that you choose the service but that is where I got confused, because if you're not dialing a number how do you choose where the call goes? Does Apple have some software that can direct you? I would hope those countries can transfer you to the right call centre and not tell you to hang up and dial a different number😂. Anyway thanks for the info TIL👍 but I think I'll be waiting for the service to be a bit more established before I put my trust in it overseas.

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I read that part online that you choose the service but that is where I got confused, because if you're not dialing a number how do you choose where the call goes? Does Apple have some software that can direct you? I would hope those countries can transfer you to the right call centre and not tell you to hang up and dial a different number😂. Anyway thanks for the info TIL👍 but I think I'll be waiting for the service to be a bit more established before I put my trust in it overseas.

Just like any number on my contact list. I select from the names that I added. I don’t memorize the numbers. Emergency SOS has been established for years. Android phones have it too. They have a different way of activating than iPhones but they have it. Emergency SOS was established by mobile carriers. Since emergency calls don’t get billed emergency calls can be made from mobile phones even if they don’t have a SIM card. That is how mobile cell networks work internationally.. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 6/30/2024 at 3:56 AM, sparks1093 said:

This poster is so obviously opposed to passengers traveling without a passport that it taints his advice and credibility. Whether anyone likes it or not US citizens can travel without a passport and if something goes wrong they will get home, very likely with less delay then you or others are willing to accept. 

The article is also from 2002. A lot has changed in 22 years.

16 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Mine is always thinking I had a fall when I bike over rough pavement.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

The article is also from 2002. A lot has changed in 22 years.

Mine is always thinking I had a fall when I bike over rough pavement.

Mine went off a couple of times when I was participating in a standing ovation at the symphony. Really strong clapping. I have an Apple Watch which also has fall detection. It did ask me if I fell before calling so I answered no and no emergency call was made. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Mine went off a couple of times when I was participating in a standing ovation at the symphony. Really strong clapping. I have an Apple Watch which also has fall detection. It did ask me if I fell before calling so I answered no and no emergency call was made. 

It was reported my watch too. But I wasn't sure if the iPhone had something to do with it since they are connected.