Entertainment - what actually happened

Hi all,

Within the last year, NCL announced it was removing a number of their signature Broadway and west end production shows from its ships.  They claimed they were replacing them with something “better” but in reality it seems it was a significant coat saving move to eliminate the licensing fees, orchestras and large casts needed.

Does anyone know what NCL actually ended up replacing these shows with?

Last we cruised NCL on the Getaway we were very disappointed in the lack of entertainment - only one bad and one duo compared to multiple 4-5 piece bands, in addition to multiple nights of no entertainment (no show or fly on act).

We are hoping they are improving and reconsidering this significant cutback.

• Like 7

According to reports, in house production shows are in rehearsal.  The plan was to roll out new production shows in the 3rd Quarter which i s a couple of weeks away.  There is a Broadway type show being discussed for the Aqua. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

Within the last year, NCL announced it was removing a number of their signature Broadway and west end production shows from its ships.  They claimed they were replacing them with something “better” but in reality it seems it was a significant coat saving move to eliminate the licensing fees, orchestras and large casts needed.

Does anyone know what NCL actually ended up replacing these shows with?

Last we cruised NCL on the Getaway we were very disappointed in the lack of entertainment - only one bad and one duo compared to multiple 4-5 piece bands, in addition to multiple nights of no entertainment (no show or fly on act).

We are hoping they are improving and reconsidering this significant cutback.

It was not a significant cutback. They have been trying to evolve their entertainment for the contemporary cruiser. The old Broadway shows like Kinky Boots and Pricilla had low attendance and were not appealing to the millennials and gen x'ers that will sustain the cruise line into the future. 

We see endless posts about Broadway shows on Cruise Critic about "I don't bother going, not of any interest to me". "It was bad and I was fast asleep after the intro". "I went to this SIX show and it was just 6 gals standing on an empty stage incessantly chanting about how they died,,, I walked out after 10 minute of that nonsense". 

Don't get me wrong. I am old. I have had a subscription to our local theater and go to see shows multiple times a year. But,,,, I am old. And you look at the demographic in our local theater and in the Broadway shows on the ship, and it is for the old. 

Yup,,,, it is a significant cost savings to replace a show with a cast of 20 singers and dancers plus production crew with the cruise director hosting a game show. Historically, there is a big demand for game shows on any cruise line. 

That being said, I have been to 4 Price is Right, 2 Press Your Luck, and 3 Wheel of Fortune shows on NCL (replacement to production shows) and, while they had decent attendance, they definitely did not fill a 600 or 800 seat theater. We have attended the Price is Right on land recently and they filled a large theater at $100 a seat (we got complimentary seats from the hotel). 

So,,, while I would like to see more Broadway shows,,, I don't think that having a Broadway show would really be appealing to the demographic of passengers that NCL is targeting. I am resolved that I am not in the demographic that NCL is targeting and that I will keep cruising regardless of what is showing on the ship. So,,, I think that I'll be sitting yelling "HIGHER" and "LOWER" at while contestants on The Price is Right make poor decisions for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Yes, as stated above, NCL is "trying to evolve" for the "contemporary cruiser"....does anyone else here know what that even means? It is repeatedly trotted out on these boards.

Notwithstanding, go over to Royal Caribbean where they have amazing broadway style shows week in and week out. Large cast, large budget, large guest satisfaction.

I guess RCL is "not evolving" and ignoring the "contemporary cruiser". In teh end, if you want the for-fee game shows and repetitive comedians as your entertainment, you'll love NCL. If you prefer stagnant, tried and tested Broadway style shows, I would recommend Royal Caribbean. To each their own.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, www3traveler said:

According to reports, in house production shows are in rehearsal.  The plan was to roll out new production shows in the 3rd Quarter which i s a couple of weeks away.  There is a Broadway type show being discussed for the Aqua. 

I wonder whether the ‘ in house production shows’ are just a repeat of the terrible substandard, broadway-like shows we suffered through during the 80’s and early 90’s? I thought that one of the things that set NCL apart was its excellent entertainment and modern/current broadway shows. They were known for moving away from the old, tired entertainment. I can’t see how going backwards will attract millennials. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

Yes, as stated above, NCL is "trying to evolve" for the "contemporary cruiser"....does anyone else here know what that even means? It is repeatedly trotted out on these boards.

Notwithstanding, go over to Royal Caribbean where they have amazing broadway style shows week in and week out. Large cast, large budget, large guest satisfaction.

I guess RCL is "not evolving" and ignoring the "contemporary cruiser". In teh end, if you want the for-fee game shows and repetitive comedians as your entertainment, you'll love NCL. If you prefer stagnant, tried and tested Broadway style shows, I would recommend Royal Caribbean. To each their own.

When I decided to try other cruise lines and booked a cruise on RCL Explorer of the Seas, I was blown away by the overall entertainment, especially the Ice Capades type of show.

I have an upcoming cruise on the Breakaway and the games shows don't sound like something that will attract anyone to NCL since other cruise lines have similar game shows.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Interesting...I am not primarily an NCL cruiser, but one of the things I thought was a draw was the quality of the shows like Six, Jersey Boys, etc. that we have seen.  We were impressed.  I just recently recommended it to a much younger acquaintance and they seemed to like the idea of these shows so this may not be a good move on NCL's part. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Coffeeluvr05
  • Like 5

....but remember NCL is laser focused on cutting costs. They have not been shy about telling their analysts and investors. But once you degrade the experience enough, people will just take their money elsewhere....wait, MOST people will do that. There are a few that are so brand loyal, that they would probably sail NCL irregardless. So time will tell. Most millenials I know are sailing Virgin or Celebrity. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, dpepper64 said:

I wish they would just put on Choir of man for all their ships

I agree!

To the original OP if you were on Getaway, did you check out Syd Normans?   Incredible band.  When we cruise the ships that have that,  we go see that band every night they play, especially the Fleetwood Mac tribute night.  It is incredible!  Wish they would put this on every ship!  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stellarose33 said:

all I want on the NCL getaway is 1. a quiet place to read a book and listen to my music.  2. decent drinks to enjoy on the waterfront 3.  comfortable bed.  4. being on vacation.  

have really only sailed CCL recently (past 5 years). so this will be fun.

Based on the standards you outlined, you are in good shape on Getaway. Have fun.

The shows on our last NCL cruise were pretty disappointing. They were 2 in-house shows which were musical competitions between the show performers. Stitched a bunch of songs together with a very thin story line. At least they were well attended .

This was a 14 day Caribbean cruise in Feb-Mar.

the other performances were jugglers, magicians who juggled, a guest soloist and a game show-Deal or No Deal. That was IMO a bait and switch.  We sat in the theater 30 min past posted show time then NCL cancelled the “show” because not enough people PAID To PLAY (including us).

then later in the cruise there was another game show. Forgot which one. Anyways again not enough people paid, so they switched the sane to a different one. It was kind of boring.

on Prima and Viva the games were actual games. Prima was Price is Right and people were seemingly picked randomly from audience. It was clear the selectees had never seen the iconic American game show because they had no clue what it was about & at least one contestant did not have a good grasp of English, which i felt was unfair to her, especially combined with her unfamiliarity with the game’s concept.

Viva handled the contestant selection better -  people volunteered to play and there was some sort of try out earlier in the cruise so the contestants were clued in.

the Sky game set up sucked and I have low expectations for the entertainment program in my upcoming Star cruise.

NCL’s entertainment program has been a big draw, combined with the good to great food and interesting itineraries. Entertainment is down in quality, food is slipping (esp recent changes to Cagney's and the Sky Local only open for dinner with a very abbreviated menu) and there have been a lot of skipped ports that have resulted in us cancelling reservations.

Unfortunately just before the announcement of entertainment and dining degradation we purchased several CruiseNext. Waiting for double up opportunity so we can use them on fewer cruises. We are booked on our first RCL cruises the fall….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

I'm just hoping they don't pull the plug on it on the Escape before September.

NCL is currently (today) casting COM in London (I suppose you need the British lads for the show). Vocalist and Musicians. 

image.png.28dc694920003f9f71cff78ff38f0a0d.png

Here's video the included with the casting call

http://nclhcreativestudios.com/video/COM_SIZZLE.mp4

Also casting for general vocalists and dancers. And aerialist couples (short 3-6 month contracts). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

I guess RCL is "not evolving" and ignoring the "contemporary cruiser". In the end, if you want the for-fee game shows and repetitive comedians as your entertainment, you'll love NCL. If you prefer stagnant, tried and tested Broadway style shows, I would recommend Royal Caribbean. To each their own.

If you read the post, it means providing activities that attract the younger cruisers (middle aged folks, not kids). You want the non-boomers to say "that was great, let's do it again". The boomers/post-war will keep sailing regardless of what's offered.  

And RCCL has always been playing catch-up. Have you noticed that their new ICON class ships have suddenly started to incorporate features NCL incorporated over a decade ago? RCCL hangs on to dead concepts like Formal Nights which the vast majority of passengers ignore. 

I am a Diamond NCL member, Diamond RCCL member, Diamond MSC member, Platinum Cunard member and see it all (since we sail on all lines frequently). NCL continues to revolutionize the cruise industry,,, RCCL not so much/not at all. And MSC can't find its way out of the 80s.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, stellarose33 said:

all I want on the NCL getaway is 1. a quiet place to read a book and listen to my music.  2. decent drinks to enjoy on the waterfront 3.  comfortable bed.  4. being on vacation.  

have really only sailed CCL recently (past 5 years). so this will be fun.

You will! 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

Food for thought...

MSC Cruises has a different show almost every night (5 out of 7). They are in-house shows, and it's the same cast of singers and dancers, but the plot was different each evening. They also have three performances each night, not two.

Yes, and after we our next 22 day cruise on NCL we will be going back to MSC. The entertainment, food and overall atmosphere is what I miss. I do not think NCL is stuck in the 80s as one said. I am not a boomer and I love MSC and do not like the direction NCL is headed with entertainment and food. We left Carnival years ago due to the guest having to entertain each other and the decline in food. Looks like that will happen with NCL. We have several cruise next left but at least they don't expire now.

• Like 2