The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday June 23rd, 2024

Today is International Women in Engineering Day, Let It Go Day, and National Detroit-style Pizza Day

There's nothing like deep breaths after laughing that hard. Nothing in the world like a sore stomach for the right reasons.--Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Meal Suggestion for today - Hearty Tomato Soup with Beans & Greens
Drink of the Day - Havana
Wine of the Day - Stoneleigh Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Transit the Suez Canal

Today in History:
930 World's oldest parliament, the Icelandic Parliament is established, the Alþingi (anglicised as Althing or Althingi)
1894 The International Olympic Committee is founded at the Sorbonne, Paris, at the initiative of Baron Pierre de Coubertin

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 06-24

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska eta 06-24

Nieuw Amsterdam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 19:30

Nieuw Statendam

Holyhead, Anglesey Island Wales 08:00 - 18:00

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Piraeus-Athens, Greece 07:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord eta 06-24

Volendam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kodiak Island, Alaska eta 06-25

Zaandam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Stornoway, Isle of Lewis and Harris, Scotland eta 06-24

0623World.thumb.png.6b888e2fb8adfc3359466d2f1eaf1555.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 26

Good morning friends!  Heading SE from Iceland to Scotland, it’s 50F with broken clouds and winds of about 25 mph from the SW.  The Zuiderdam has been rocking and rolling since the middle of last night and our current speed is 18 knots.

Happy Birthday Roy @rafinmd!  I always remember yours is the day before my DD’s.  I hope you have something fun or out of the ordinary planned to do today.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.   I like women in engineering, letting it go and most kinds of pizza.  A fun quote.  Today I’m saying no to food and the cocktail, and if I were drinking would try the Sauvignon Blanc.  Important days for the Icelandic Parliament and the International Olympic Committee.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the reports today.

Prayers for all here on the Daily Care list, DB, Alex’s twin boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages held, and those overseas trying to keep us all safe.  A salute to all celebrating special events and cruising!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for updating the lists for us.

Today we are revisiting the Suez Canal for our port destination.  Back in 2021 we posted four days concerning the Suez Canal or exiting/entering the Canal at Port Said.  I think we’ve left it alone since then.  Here are the links to the four dates in 2021 concerning the Suez Canal for your convenience.

Hope all of you enjoy your Sunday.  Graham @grapau27, good to see the internet problem seems to be fixed.  Thank you for Father David’s sermon today.  Everyone, try to stay safe and keep well! 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Cruzin Terri feeling very fatigued from Covid

StLouisCruisers with stomach issues

RIP Donald Sutherland

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Luvteaching having made progress with her stuck hip flexor muscle

Haljo1935 with a frozen shoulder, PT for now

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday rafinmd (Roy)!

Smitty34877’s DB visiting to help out for a few days

StLouisCruiser’s cough improved

Cruzin Terri’s now negative Covid test

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Suslor (Rotterdam to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice and  StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 22
  • Thanks 26

Havana cocktail:

This havana cocktail is the perfect go-to cocktail for something light, summery and refreshing. And there’s a good chance you’ll even have these ingredients on hand! There’s only 4 ingredients and they work so well together. Just put the ingredients into a cocktail shaker – shale for 20 seconds or so – and voila, a Havana!

Ingredients:

1 oz. white rum
1/2 oz. lime juice, fresh-squeezed
1.2 oz. orange juice, fresh-squeezed
1/2 oz. simple syrup

Directions:

Add all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake for 20 seconds.
Strain over 2 large ice cubes and add an orange twist to garnish.

Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 6.27.36 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 23

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

75 right with a high of 88 with our normal summer PM showers.

Good selection of days but I have no idea what Detroit style pizza is about,  IMHO Chicago pizza either thin or thick is the best.

I like the quote, I’ll never forget the first time I saw “It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World”, I walked out of the theater with a sore stomach from laughing so hard.

I’ll give the meal a go.

Never sailed through the Suez Canal.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 36

We entered the canal before sunup but I was outside early along with other passengers of the Emerald Princess.  This was Oct. 8, 2016.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Police were parked along the western bank of the canal.

There were sentry stations along the route.

The eastern bank was a lot more desolate.  Here's a large bridge we passed

under.

Later in the day, everyone lined up to look at the ...sand.

Here we were in separate channels of the Suez Canal.  See the ship in the other lane, looking like it was just sitting there in the desert?

This photo I took from Skywalkers Lounge at the aft of the ship shows both channels as we left that area.  The knitters and stitchers were busy with our work and keeping an eye on things with great views from Skywalkers.

After we left the canal you could see the many ships waiting their turn to pass through.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 8

Good warm and humid morning. It’s already 81 with another day near 100. Yesterday we broke the record with a record high of 101z Storms are expected this afternoon. 
Prayers are needed for a Philadelphia police officer who was shot in the head last night. He is in critical condition. The suspect has been captured.🙏

Happy Birthday Roy. Stay cool Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Still hot here, but lots of thunderstorms so today could be the end of the heat wave.  We had a tornado watch last evening, but it was cancelled in a short time.  Crazy weather.

Three good days to celebrate.  Hooray for women in engineering.  There are things I wish I could let go, but it's difficult.  I've never had Detroit-style pizza but I saw an ad for Buddy's pizza, the home of Detroit-style pizza last week, coincidence?

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, but not for a hot day like today, maybe in the fall.  I'd like the drink and the wine.

I've never been to the Suez Canal.  Sandi, thanks for the pictures.

Prayers for so many, and a special one for the police officer shot last night.

I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

Have a peaceful day.  Stay cool.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Hot, hot, hot! Thankfully Sam is not wanting to stay in the yard like usual. Stay cool everyone.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 36

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the Fleet & Daily report.

I love all kinds of pizza! Detroit style pizza is made in a rectangular pan.  It is believed to have originated in 1946 at Buddy’s restaurant when the pizza was baked in a pan originally used to carry auto parts. The crust comes out crisp and golden on the bottom, with a lightly fried texture that it gets from sizzling in the rendered fat that drips down from the cheese. Instead of using the "sauce, cheese, toppings" order of a typical pizza, Detroit pizzas are built in reverse. Brick cheese from Wisconsin is cubed and applied directly to the top of the dough. On top of the cheese is a sweet, thick tomato sauce, seasoned with plenty of garlic and spices.
IMG_0606.jpeg.cee7db79ab9efc255a86b7c61f3f64cc.jpeg

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating!

Edited by 0106
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Dailys!!!  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @rafinmd !!!  I hope it's wonderful!!!

I never thought of Detroit Pizza...  But, I guess anyone can make a claim on a style!!

AND...  Let it go Day should be all the time...  There's a great amount of energy and 'stuffing' done to hold grudges!!!  (And even "Fluffiness" with tight clothes and girdles/spanks/whatever...)

I've been through the Panama Canal and the birth canal... <sorry... sorry...> 🤭 <Let It Go and don't hold this against me!!>   It's nice to see the Suez Canal!!

I'll eat and drink everything!!!  (AND, this is why 'fluffiness' has to be held in...)🙄😯

I'll include each of us in my prayers and an extra dose for all listed!!!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

It is partly sunny and 70°F here.

3 interesting days and quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss but the wine sounds good.

Prayers 🙏 offered where needed.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

IMG_20240622_183624.jpg

IMG_20240622_190336.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning to all and best wishes.  Prayers for those in need.  

I made it home on Friday to this very hot weather.  I sent a nice long post to all of you about my trip with my sister while on the ship but unfortunately it was lost to  cyber space.  We had a near perfect trip with an easy transfer of my place being taken by my brother in law for the second week. Sister Karen stays on.   I am a real fan of the Oasis class on Royal Caribbean.  Lovely cabin and as I am a top tier  member we get to eat in the suite restaurant.  Very nice.  Cabins are wonderful and with more than 1700 kids on board nothing seemed crowded.  I have nothing planned now until December but would like to take DH Bill on a trip this summer.  Searching for a ship that has an accessible cabin available.

I would ask for prayers for a very close friend who suffered a devastating stroke last week.  We have been friends since Bill and I moved to PA in 1975.  I don’t have a lot of details but I know there is some paralysis.   Thank you for your prayers.

Happy Birthday Roy!  I have to go back and read to see how everyone is doing but glad to read that Kazu is infection free.  Best wishes for all.

Have a great Sunday whatever your plans.  Katherine 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s  FR & D, Rich! It has been raining off & on since yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon we were on the patio watching the rain hit my pool while the sun was shining brightly. Another magical moment. Though all the food was great, the star of the show was the blanc Chateâu Neuf du Pape wine that I won at last week’s wine tasting. I need to find out where I can buy this wine & how much it costs. If it is in my budget - I want more. 

Vanessa thank you for keeping up with all of us. And never giving up on yourself when you were going through those horrible months of pain and little sleep. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores and a final birthday celebration with friends & family, who were away last month & came back sick. Now all are well and we are going out. 

IMG_3047.jpeg.a735551d123ea82faf38e68085078606.jpeg

IMG_3046.jpeg.495176de251b3ec4f25091e2b30d3065.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg.1f35ff110518510c67f5f274a47a6631.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Terry, I hope Tana got a bit of her appetite back. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 
@rafinmd Roy, I tried to post this in a separate post but for some reason CC would not let me. 
So Happy Birthday, Roy! May your new year be filled with laughter, love, great health & a trip or two!

IMG_3005.jpeg.a8c25d4e40c18d3e39a28c1de2b8c3a3.jpeg

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Stoneleigh Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

This New Zealand SB sounds lovely. Especially on a hot, humid summer day. The vintner suggests that we drink it while it is young. So might I suggest that you look for an 2023 vintage. Easy to find & reasonably priced. Online prices start at$12.98.

Winemaker’s notes

The Stoneleigh range consists of distinctive, elegant, fruit forward Marlborough wines that reflect the unique terroir of our stone-studded vineyards. Started by nature, our philosophy of minimum intervention in the winery ensures that the vibrant flavours of Stoneleigh are captured in each and every bottle.

AROMA & PALATE

This wine displays vibrant and punchy aromatics of grapefruit, white peach and passionfruit with a scattering of tropical stone fruits. 

This wine demonstrates mouth-watering acidity, and minerality. A lovely young and dynamic drop that finishes with a pleasing fresh passionfruit note that lingers.

FOOD MATCHES

This wine will best show the above characters whilst it is young and vibrant. Serve lightly chilled on its own as an aperitif or match with delicate seafood like Marlborough Green Lip muscles with freshly baked bread, white meat dishes accented with fresh herbs and lemon. Tangy cheeses, especially goats’ cheese are a great match.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily and map @richwmn.  I will celebrate Detroit Pizza though I really prefer thin crust and it is important to let things go.  A good quote today.  I'll have hearty tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.   The Havana would be nice cocktail to try in lieu of a Daiquiri.  Yes on SB.   Thanks for sharing the photos of the Suez Canal Sandi!  I wonder when cruise ships will transit again?  🥺

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports @JazzyV!  Prayers for Tana and Chuck and everyone else who is ailing or grieving.  Sandi I was happy to read that you cough continues to get better and Jacqui I am happy that the infection has cleared in your foot.  Prayers for all in war zones through fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza. @Lady Hudson prayers for your DF who had a stroke.   Prayers for the families of those killed and wounded in Arkansas.

I hope the rain clears out today.  I bet we got 1.5" of rain from Friday through last night.  Everything is beautiful and green.  Hopefully more weed pulling today with easy to pull weeds in soaked soil.  Have a nice Sunday!  Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 33