Since They Always Ask, And Now With The Short Cruise Discussion

Tom and Ingrid

6 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

...I am prompted to wonder what the "over 55" and the "state of residency" questions get you as a discount if you say "yes" to 55+ and/or are a Florida (or maybe CA or NJ) resident.

I am approaching 55, so maybe I'll get a discount soon?

64yo in MA, neither gets me squat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

...I am prompted to wonder what the "over 55" and the "state of residency" questions get you as a discount if you say "yes" to 55+ and/or are a Florida (or maybe CA or NJ) resident.

I wonder too…I’ve tried the police discount check box since DH is law enforcement and that doesn’t seem to do anything either.

1 hour ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

I HAVE gotten state discounts before, but not on Celebrity.  Nothing so far with age discounts.

I the days of old we sometimes got a few dollars off for residency and/or over 55.  I have not seen that in ages.  For law enforcement, EMT and military there is often a bit of extra OBC for a few dollars off. It is all hit and miss.  Being a paper veteran I have always hesitated to ask for that discount.  OK, paper veteran= being in the USAR for 8 during the Vietnam era but never even making it to basic training because my rotten knee blew out again during the first week of summer camp.....Yes, Ii am officially a vet, I have an Honorable Discharge but zero days of active duty so no DD214.  I leave those perks to the guys who really did serve.

• Like 1

I think the question is maybe mostly used for  the cruise trip insurance and also air travel thru the cruise line.   Residency could also be used for maybe sales tax charged by your state or the laws that they have regarding the contract.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Florida resident here. I have had tremendous pricing luck booking the senior Florida resident rate. I also cruise solo. My Eclipse cruise in December dropped by $800 when I switched to the senior resident rate. That rate included the AI classic beverage package and the basic Wi-Fi. The non resident rate I initially had booked did not include AI. 

We then repriced my January Equinox cruise from Port Canaveral. Again, significant savings, with AI. The savings was so significant, that I booked the following cruise at the senior Florida rate, with AI. The two cruises added together totaled about $200 less than the cost of the first cruise with my TA’s group rate. She is a long time TA and former RCI employee. Her astonishment at the pricing was measurable. 

Then I had my March cruise on Constellation repriced. Saved about $300 and added the AI. 

Let me reiterate that these rates were  Florida senior resident rates and were solo pricing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Straughn said:

Florida resident here. I have had tremendous pricing luck booking the senior Florida resident rate. I also cruise solo. My Eclipse cruise in December dropped by $800 when I switched to the senior resident rate. That rate included the AI classic beverage package and the basic Wi-Fi. The non resident rate I initially had booked did not include AI. 

We then repriced my January Equinox cruise from Port Canaveral. Again, significant savings, with AI. The savings was so significant, that I booked the following cruise at the senior Florida rate, with AI. The two cruises added together totaled about $200 less than the cost of the first cruise with my TA’s group rate. She is a long time TA and former RCI employee. Her astonishment at the pricing was measurable. 

Then I had my March cruise on Constellation repriced. Saved about $300 and added the AI. 

Let me reiterate that these rates were  Florida senior resident rates and were solo pricing.

What proof is required to get a resident rate other than a Florida address?

18 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

Unlike the military discount, the 55+ and residency discounts only apply to limited cruises/cabin categories.  Currently, 127 cruises, out of around 2k available cruises, have 55+ discounts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Unlike the military discount, the 55+ and residency discounts only apply to limited cruises/cabin categories.  Currently, 127 cruises, out of around 2k available cruises, have 55+ discounts.

Do all Florida departures get the Florida resident discount? And how significant is that?

I know when I look at prices using an online agent, I often see a long list of rates for the same cabin. I need to start deciphering that stuff 🙂

When I first priced my short April solo cruise on X’s website, the price was more than I wanted to pay. When I went back and entered my Captains Club number and residency (Georgia), the total fare dropped by over half. The booking confirmation showed a Senior Resident discount. I had never gotten a resident discount before, so I called Captains Club to verify that it was correct.

BTW, my documents included a warning that proof of residency would be required at check-in, and the Captains Club rep said just to be sure to have my Georgia drivers license with me. But no one ever asked for it.

1 hour ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

Do all Florida departures get the Florida resident discount? And how significant is that?

I know when I look at prices using an online agent, I often see a long list of rates for the same cabin. I need to start deciphering that stuff 🙂

No, currently there are only around 25 Florida departures that have a Florida resident discount.  Like the 55+, resident discounts vary widely, but most are in the $50/pp range.

• Thanks 1

I have no idea how the Florida senior resident rate is calculated. As stated above, you need to enter your Captain’s Club number and your state of residence. No one has ever asked for proof of that, however, my TA assures me that all I need is my Florida driver’s license. 

What I have learned, by periodically repricing a couple of the cruises I currently have booked under the Florida rate, is that it comes and goes. I imagine that there is some sort of pricing structure that when so many cabins are sold in a category, with that rate, it is then removed. Even if the Florida rate is offered the amount may vary. The last time I checked, two of my cruises no longer offered it, and one that did, was higher than what I paid. That could be because the basic rate for the cabin has increased. I have never seen it offered on a suite.

Edited by Straughn
  • Like 1