Cruise insurance

Softservekid1

I have health issues. If I should need to cancel my cruise for ill health, I want my money back. Some policies just apply the balance as credit for your next cruise. If you don't know if you're going to be able to take a next cruise, the money back might be a better option. Sorry but, that detail is in the fine print.

The insurance that Carnival offers covers weather and illness.  It will not cover things outside of the cruise such as transportation and lodging or other key essentials pertaining to your trip.  One would need to think how much there are and if you need insurance to cover them (vs the cost of the insurance).  There are MANY threads here on travel insurance.

Good question. 

I know a podcast with cruise and radio in the title states there is "good, better and best trip insurance".  

We would get it post covid but our TA got much less expensive option than CCL. 

That said, hard to put a price on peace of mind and protection.  

Good luck!!! 

Cruise line offered travel protections

Pro

Includes Cancel For Any Reason, but only pays back a % (some 75, some 90, 1 policy offer 100) in the form of a future cruise credit.

Price is not age dependent.

Con

Medical is secondary

Medical has a low coverage limit ($20K)

Does not waive pre-existing conditions for you or for non-traveling family members

Does not offer to work with healthcare provider to send up front money for treatment if required

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Cruise line offered travel protections

Pro

Includes Cancel For Any Reason, but only pays back a % (some 75, some 90, 1 policy offer 100) in the form of a future cruise credit.

Price is not age dependent.

Con

Medical is secondary

Medical has a low coverage limit ($20K)

Does not waive pre-existing conditions for you or for non-traveling family members

Does not offer to work with healthcare provider to send up front money for treatment if required

As you get older, price not being age dependent tends to get more important, but not important enough to overcome the low medical coverage limit.

16 hours ago, Softservekid1 said:

I bought the insurance Carnival offers at time of booking. Do I need anymore? Of course, I didn't read the "fine print".😉

You are already (now) aware of "Rule # 1":  Read the fine print!

(And of course, that's not only for travel insurance...)

In our opinion, there's no substitute for working with a travel insurance *broker*.  That is someone who works with several different travel insurers, so they aren't beholden to just one company and their policies.  Just which companies and policies any specific broker deals with/offers can vary from broker to broker, and they'll have their reasons for their selections.

There is *no* extra charge for working with a broker or an agent.  (These latter usually work with just one insurance company, but that person would still give more information and probably more choices than the travel vendor such as a cruiseline.)

We learned about 

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

here on CC just over 10 years ago.

... just in time to get travel insurance for our first major trip in many years.  And at the last minute, DH had a medical emergency.  IF we had not had the insurance, that may have been the beginning *and* end of our "major trips".  We would have been so annoyed.  Yes, of course we could "afford" the $$$ loss; it was already fully paid for by that late date, obviously. However, emotionally, we would have been pretty upset.

oops... submitted in error too soon... trying to add...

Anyway, we got every cent back, and we spent the next several weeks driving to and from assorted medical appointments, often mumbling, "I am SO glad we won't have to pay AGAIN for that trip!!"

We've since had several other claims, all paid very promptly.

CALL TIS (or your choice of broker) so they can discuss your specific situation.  Don't rely upon the all-too-short online policy summaries.  They can't capture all of the details that might be relevant for *you*.

In general, it helps to start the coverage right when you make the first payment, but there are plenty of good policies available after that.

Enjoy!

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple