The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday June 30th, 2024

richwmn

Today is California Avocado Day, International Day of Parlimentarism, and Leap Second Time Adjustment Day

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. -- Maya Angelou

Meal Suggestion for today - Lobster Roll
Drink of the Day - Woo Woo
Wine of the Day - 2021 Pinot Blanc, Stepp, Gerd Stepp, Pfalz
Destination of the Day - Busan (Pusan), South Korea

Today in History:
1860 Famous debate on Charles Darwin's theory of evolution held at the Oxford University Museum and dominated by arguments between Thomas Henry Huxley and Bishop Samuel Wilberforce
1955 "Johnny Carson Show" debuts on CBS-TV

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 07-01

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska eta 07-01

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Alesund, Norway eta 07-01

Noordam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 19:30

Oosterdam

Souda-Chania, Crete Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Oslo, Norway eta 07-01

Volendam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Alesund, Norway eta 07-01

0630World.thumb.png.5095ee7e4e288177ee07d091f959d555.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 23

A woo woo is an alcoholic beverage made of vodka, peach schnapps, and cranberry juice. It is typically served as a cocktail in a highball glass or can be served as a shot. It can also be served in a rocks glass. The ingredients are usually shaken together with ice or stirred as preferred. Wikipedia
Ingredients:
1 part (1/2 oz) Peach Schnapps,
2 parts (1 oz) Vodka,
4 parts (2 oz) Cranberry juice
Preparation: Build all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with lime wedge.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lime Wedge
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 6.22.50 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 18

Good morning friends!  Today Zuiderdam is on its way to Alesund, Norway on smooth seas, 57F temperature and a few scattered clouds.  Yesterday’s departure time of 3 p.m. was delayed due to bunkering and another “operation” they were undergoing.  The predicted time of departure of 6 or 6:30 came and went.  We finally pulled away from the dock at 8:45 p.m.  Our speed now is 20 knots so hopefully we arrive on time tomorrow in Norway.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the maps.  A good day for avocado lovers, not sure who celebrates parliamentarism, but I suppose the leap second time adjustment is necessary.  I love the Maya Angelou quote.  I’ll pass on the food and drink today.  Yay for Johnny Carson’s first show, and I’m sure the Darwin theory of evolution debate was lively.  Thanks to the F&B ladies, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers for our Daily Care list group.  Hoping for less pain for Jacqui @kazu, Chuck @catmando, Annie @marshhawk and Terri @Cruzin Terri, comfort for Tana, and robust health for as many as possible. 🙏  Prayers too for my DB, Alex’s twin sons, the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our troops in the region.  Three cheers for all celebrating special events 🥂 or cruising.  Those booking new cruises, too. 🚢 Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for posting the C&C lists every day.

The port today is Busan (Pusan), South Korea.  Previous times here on the Daily were March 17, 2021 and July 16, 2023.  Here are the links for your convenience, and I’ll repost my photos from the past.

Hoping all have an enjoyable Sunday.   Try to stay safe and keep well.  DH is starting to catch a cold - not mine but one of the thousand other colds that have been floating around the ship.  It’s impossible to dodge all the cold viruses in our path! 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Busan, South Korea. 

We were there in 2010 on the Diamond Princess on a Bangkok to Anchorage, Alaska cruise.  Friends who were booked had talked us into accompanying them and we had a great trip.  It's always better with friends!

That morning, May 3, we arrived NEAR Busan but could not see the port due to the heavy fog.  We anchored and awaited the lifting of the fog, all the while the fog horns played all morning.  Looking over the edge of the deck rails you couldn't even see the water below!  After many hours the fog lifted enough to get us into the dock. 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

All the tours had to be scrambled to fit the time left in port.  I don't know for sure, but I would say they probably delayed departure, too so everyone could enjoy the port.  They worked really hard to get into Busan because they had entertainers to pick up and let off, and a whole dock full of food and supplies to load on.  In a few days’ time we would have a long journey to Anchorage.

We and our friends didn't book a tour.  We used the map provided by the ship and walked into town to see the sights, something we love to do. 

Shopping and eating at the same time! 

Shoe stores were in abundance here.  Strappy heels seemed to be in fashion at the time, 14 years ago.

From here we moved on to the world renowned Busan Fish Market.  Quite the visual display!

Oh my gosh, look at this tank of octopus!

These look like they jumped out of the tank right onto a table.  Ewww!

Some of the famous fisherwomen of the Busan Fish Market.

This lovely fruit market is more my style.

From Busan we moved on to Vladivostok, Russia.  What a day that was!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.

Thank you for today's FR&D.

3 interesting days and quote.

We had a lovely church service today and I hope everyone likes today's sermon.

We called at the beach with our picnic.

Prayers 🙏 offered to everyone that believes they will help.

I hope everyone is healthy and looking forward to today.

Screenshot_20240630_113910.jpg

IMG_20240630_113443.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

76 this AM with a high of 90 along with afternoon showers.

Beryl is now at Cat. 2 hurricane still tracking towards Cozumel, Costa Maya and the rest of the Yucatán, expected landfall is on Friday and I’m sure some cruise itineraries will be adjusted. This is the earliest time of the year that a hurricane has ever formed in the Atlantic, doesn’t bode well for the rest of the hurricane season.

Interesting days.

I don’t agree with the quote.

I have never had a lobster roll but eventually I will try one or two.

I haven’t watched the Tonight Show since Johnny Carson retired, he was the best.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the reports...  

My child has been to Busan...  but not me.  They LOVED the fried Chicken they bought at a convenience store close by the Busan Hotel in which they stayed...  they said it was SPICY but the best they've had...ever...

No photo description available.

And, being a "Native Daughter of the Golden West"...  I love California Avocados!!!

And I'll Appreciate that extra second of sleep tonight...  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

I'd love a Lobster Roll, if only I could find them in Texas...  Here, we find Langostino Rolls at the Cajun Restaurants...  Woo Woo sounds YUMMY!!

Have a blessed and wonderful Sunday!!

Thank you @grapau27 Graham for our message for today!!!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool, windy and cloudy this morning.  A chance of rain later today.  

Interesting days to celebrate.

I like the quote.

I'd love a lobster roll, haven't had one since we were in Halifax years ago.  I guess we should go back.  The drink sounds good, I hope the wine is wonderful too.

I've never been to today's port.   @StLouisCruisers thanks for the pictures.    @LambKnuckles  thanks for sharing a picture of River's fried chicken, looks delicious.

Prayers for our world.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having leg/foot pain

Cruzin Terri fatigued post Covid, right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection

StLouisCruisers’ twin’s arm injury

Passing of marshhawk’s longtime friend 6/25

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Lady Hudson’s friend having suffered a stroke, with some paralysis

Haljo1935 with a frozen shoulder and kidney stones

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Summer Slope booking a bucket list Mediterranean cruise

Vict0riann doing well post-surgery

Marshhawk’s big sales this week

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

7 days for luvteaching (Westerdam July 7 to July 14) 7d Alaska Explorer

Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice, tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 19
  • Thanks 16

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily and map Rich.   I will skip the first two days, Avocados are not on my food list, done with Parlimentarism but Leap second is needed.  A great quote by Maya Angelou.  Thanks for the photos of Busan Sandi. Thanks in advance to the additional photos.   I would love a lobster roll but not in the cards in the Upper Midwest, the drink likes another good one for a BHB and the German wine should be good.  

Thanks for keeping our Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.  Prayers for Tana, Chuck, Terri and Jacqui.   Prayers for all who are grieving or ailing.   I spoke to my DB and he was in good spirits and his knee has gone down a little but his nurses thought perhaps he needs another antibiotic.  Does he see a doctor before his surgeon visit this week, who knows.  My wifi calling wasn't the best yesterday as it would just stop communicating without dropping the call.  Oh well it is better than nothing which I had for the last two years.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Ukraine.

My niece and her future husband are up at the lake staying in my sister's cabin.  He brought his Dad up too.   We are having them over for dinner tomorrow to celebrate their upcoming nuptials in Jackson Hole, WY.  We don't leave the cabin in the summer unless it is an emergency so we will have real champagne (Collet) a rib roast and all the trimmings.   I am sure some red wine too.  I need to run the string trimmer today, bad weeds are coming up near my beds so they have to chopped before their seeds mature.  It is going to be a beautiful day here.  Have a good one!  Nancy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, Dixie and Graham/Father David for the last Fleet Report and Daily of June 2024.  I’ll pass on the avacado but celebrate Parliamentarianism and Leap Second adjustments.  .   Special prayers for Jacaui, Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, and Tana.

A great quote by a great lady.

I’m pretty sure Busan was on the itinerary for Amsterdam’s 2014 Grand Asia but cancelled due to objections from China..

Two interesting days in history.

I’ll pass on today’s meal.  My alternative is Fruit Ceviche and Grilled Molasses Lamb Chops which would have been my choices on MS Prinsendam June 7, 2015 had I not dined in Canaletto.    

I’m on AV duty at church.  It will be a hot day but I’ll be inside at home by about noon..

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A lovely morning here. Yesterday, before the breeze arrived was brutal. I returned from taking Bindi out and for the first time since I moved here - I thought about jumping into the pool with my clothes on. 😎

Vanessa, thank you for sharing what is happening with all of us. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, chores, a visit with my Sister and pool time. 

IMG_3077.jpeg.377824f4d599773165ddde4d39171a84.jpeg

IMG_3076.jpeg.5c4e58e55250334c0d3771099ef87888.jpeg

IMG_3053.jpeg.1a6dc05e3aa7eb51a48784ce774dce29.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

2021 Pinot Blanc, Stepp, Gerd Stepp, Pfalz

This is a lovely German Pinot Blanc. Mostly available in Europe, if you are a member of Naked Wines, it might still be in stock. Average price per bottle is $18.00. 

Distributor notes

Refined, refreshing German white

This lively Pinot Blanc is fresh and balanced with succulent flavors like crisp green apple, juicy honeydew and mouthwatering citrus. Then comes the surprise ‘wow’ factor – a little natural effervescence!

Pinot Blanc is underrated here in the States, but it’s super popular in Germany’s Pfalz region – Gerd’s home – where he harvests primo grapes from majestic high-altitude, terraced vineyards. With Angel support, you’re getting all-access to this rare white!

Pair a lightly chilled glass – or more! – of this vibrant, zesty white with grilled or pan-seared trout and veggies and enjoy a taste sent from heaven.
This has the potential to age for 5 years or more.
The wine should be served lightly chilled. Decanting 30 minutes before drinking is perfect.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, summer slope said:
A woo woo is an alcoholic beverage made of vodka, peach schnapps, and cranberry juice. It is typically served as a cocktail in a highball glass or can be served as a shot. It can also be served in a rocks glass. The ingredients are usually shaken together with ice or stirred as preferred. Wikipedia
Ingredients:
1 part (1/2 oz) Peach Schnapps,
2 parts (1 oz) Vodka,
4 parts (2 oz) Cranberry juice
Preparation: Build all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with lime wedge.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lime Wedge
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 6.22.50 AM.png

Nice drink but prefer a: (with a moonpie)

IMG_1974.thumb.png.57ac0a0a8e551a8dfebdaff8633354fe.png

• Like 12
  • Haha 8

Good sunny and warm and humid morning. Strong thunderstorms are forecast for this afternoon. We had some thunderstorms last night but the damaging wind missed us. 
Our church service today is a patriotic celebration Lovefeast for Independence Day. 
A Lovefeast is a Moravian tradition of sharing a common meal together. Today it will be coffee or chocolate milk and a sweet bun served during the service. Also, the church lawn has been decorated with flags.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Thank you for today's FR&D.

3 interesting days and quote.

We had a lovely church service today and I hope everyone likes today's sermon.

We called at the beach with our picnic.

Prayers 🙏 offered to everyone that believes they will help.

I hope everyone is healthy and looking forward to today.

Screenshot_20240630_113910.jpg

IMG_20240630_113443.jpg

Don’t drink too much coffee or you will miss that extra second of sleep or is it one second less sleep? I’m confused.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

7 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Don’t drink too much coffee or you will miss that extra second of sleep or is it one second less sleep? I’m confused.

Up to now drinking coffee has never prevented me sleeping.

Pauline says I could sleep on a clothes line😅

• Like 6
  • Haha 16

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Up to now drinking coffee has never prevented me sleeping.

Pauline says I could sleep on a clothes line😅

My problem is with drinking beer. After too much consumption, the Misses hangs me out to dry on the clothes line! 😀

• Like 4
  • Haha 14

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

We had rain last night! Thunderstorms to be exact. The grass is starting to green up. We may have some more today. Today I am relaxing a little. Writing up my dissertation and then a family Zoom call. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Sunday! | Good morning meme, Morning cat, Funny cats

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is a nippy start to the day at 54F this morning.  The forecast says we'll only get to 70 today.  That's ok by me.  The next two weeks look like moderate temperatures and I like that.  Not a lot on the agenda today.  Sue wants to get the rest of the hostas replanted.  She's moving them from the hot sunny side of the house to a more hospitable area.  I'd like to hit the trails out at the Nature Center as we haven't been there in ages and weather like today is perfect for that.

I am a purist when it comes to lobster.  Skip the mayo and the roll and just give me the lobster and melted butter.  I do know others love them.  Last summer in Bar Harbor we decided to find out if we were missing something, so we had lobster rolls.  Nope.  We're sticking with our plain lobster.  This first recipe uses both butter and mayonnaise.  Lobster Rolls

lobsterroll1.thumb.jpg.8f22a22107ea42076b06f0bb100de554.jpg

Here's a similar version.  More Lobster Roll

lobsterroll2.thumb.jpg.ef5e285bf6a41d1fcc18a1c197ec254d.jpg

This recipe lightens the mayo that is mixed in.  Still too much bread.   https://www.skinnytaste.com/lobster-rolls/

lobsterroll3.thumb.jpg.5b7f0bf8e098d79a02b9607a8b2cef8a.jpg

I hope this finds you all well or getting better from whatever ails  you.   Wishing you a wonderful day!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 14