Sky Princess--Initial Thoughts after 10 year "break" from cruising

FamilyGuy1010

Host CJSKIDS
This post was recognized by Host CJSKIDS!

"Thank you for taking time from your cruise to do a Live From and give your thoughts! Really looking forward to following along. Please think about doing a review upon your return in our review section."

FamilyGuy1010 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hi Everyone:

I am on day 2 of the Norway & Iceland cruise out of Southhampton, England.  This is our first cruise after almost 10 years and my first as Elite (got it after last trip at end of 2014).  This is for anyone that has been away a long time or is considering a cruise on one of the large ships.  I'll just put a list of my initial observations.  This will be about the ship and Princess, not the ports (first stop is tomorrow).

1) The ship's internet is outstanding.  The onboard support person (happened to run into him, didn't need him) told me the new standard is guests should be able to stream a video.  So far, he appears to be correct.  I am using the internet to work (one of the reasons it has been so long) and it is just like I am in my office.

2) The ship is nice overall, as is our mini suite cabin.  However, the ship is large and crowded.  If crowds aren't your thing, you might want to consider a different cruise ship.

3) Many changes that have "changed" the experience (sorry for the brain dump):

a) No more bars of soap.  Guys, they expect us to use shower gel.  Seriously, what guy wants to use that?  Not me!!!  Our fantastic cabin steward offered me some bar soap from his own supply but I refused.  I'll pick some up in port tomorrow (they use soap in Norway, right?).

b) Dining room: relax, the food is good.  What has changed is the service.  We entered at our reservation time on time.  We sat with a great group of people (they asked us if OK) and we enjoyed that.  What was off was the lack of responsiveness of the servers.  They hardly checked on us at all.  They seemed to not care, just seemed in a hurry.  I hope it is different tonight.  Also, they have added a few extra cost items to the menus.  Isn't that what the specialty restaurants are for?

c) The World Fresh Market is very large, which is good because there are so many people (too many if you ask me).  Great selection of foods and what I had was tasty.  Be sure to walk around and find the drink area because they won't come looking for you.  It is hidden behind a dividing wall.  Also, they are slow to bus tables.  I know they have a shortage of crew, so I guess that's why.  We did use the app to order a coffee and bottle of water and it was at the table in 7 minutes.

d) Our medallions arrived at our home after we departed, so we had to pick them up...on the ship.  They give you a card that will open your door.  You can also use it to check in at the muster station (I like how they do the safety drill and muster check in).  Anyway, I wasn't worried because I believed they would give you the medallions at check in.  No.  We had to wait for the ship to sail then go to guest services and wait in line.  If you plan to use the app and want everything to be easy, you will let them track you with the medallion (yes, they know where you are and who you are).  Otherwise, I assume you can use the card for the entire voyage.

e) Can say much about the activities because I was catching up on my work so I can enjoy the ports.  The Hypnotist show we saw last night was good.

f) The app is buggy.  The time gets off.  If you want to order something, the selections don't always appear. Then, I put something in the cart, go to the cart and check out and it says the cart is empty.  Frustrating.  Great concept when it works.

g) The new options on the TV are nice.  Not as much "live" content, though.

h) Everything now seems to be designed to separate you from your money, as it should be as this is a business.  HOWEVER, why so "in your face"?  I paid a lot of money for this trip so please, let my wallet rest!!!  When embarking, there are people standing there trying to get you to buy a package (I already have one), get a spa treatment.

i) Why is the hair dryer tethered to a drawer in the work desk?  I would like to have it in the bathroom.  Wife doesn't seem to care though.

j) No more slippers?  They did leave the robes for us to use.

k) Cheap, flimsy laundry bags made of paper.  Paper is ok if it isn't flimsy.  Going to try my complimentary laundry (we stayed in London a few days so I already have some).  Hopefully, it doesn't take more than 3 days (they do say it can take 72 hours so that's 3 days).

l) The pizza by the slice is still really good.  We haven't tried Alfredo's, the pay for it pizza.  We do get 2 "casual" meals, so might try that one day.

4) The elevators are super-fast.  Nice for when we don't take the stairs.

That's all I can think of for now.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

We are currently on the Island P. I can tell (based on previous cruise experience) that yes, staff is a bit less than usual but you would be hard-pressed to see a difference in service. I was expecting to see some issues based on previous postings about the Island but so far (half way through cruise) it has been great.

• Like 3

Welcome back!  And Elite, at that!

Crew shortages seem to be on quite a few ships.  We have been very lucky to not have noticed so much.  Part of it, I believe, is all the extra crew running around doing deliveries from the OceanNow.  

Have a great time and hope you don’t have to work too much!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Welcome back!  And Elite, at that!

Crew shortages seem to be on quite a few ships.  We have been very lucky to not have noticed so much.  Part of it, I believe, is all the extra crew running around doing deliveries from the OceanNow.  

Have a great time and hope you don’t have to work too much!

Is it crew shortages by choice of Princess, or because they can't get crew

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, antsp said:

Is it crew shortages by choice of Princess, or because they can't get crew

Exactly - now let's hear about all the excuses why Princess "can't" hire crew - the 'rona has passed and sailing at 100%+ capacity

Crew up, Princess

• Like 4

3 hours ago, FamilyGuy1010 said:

The app is buggy.  The time gets off.

Welcome back to Princess!  I had the same problem with the time going wacky on our last cruise and mentioned it to the suite concierge.  The solution seemed to be to log out and then just log in using your cruise info.  Try that and see if it resolves the issue.

Quick update (9:55PM Local time and still light out):

1) Service in dining room much better tonight.  Very attentive.  Food still very good.  Less people eating in dining room tonight (because formal night?).

2) App still acting funny even after resets.  I'm not going to let it bother me.

3) Drinks easy to get at bars with no real wait for the most part.

4) If you are on a plus package or premier, the desserts are in the gelato shop and they have a good selection.  Haven't tried one yet, just need to plan to...not as young as I used to be so I can't eat near as much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FamilyGuy1010 said:

Quick update (9:55PM Local time and still light out):

1) Service in dining room much better tonight.  Very attentive.  Food still very good.  Less people eating in dining room tonight (because formal night?).

2) App still acting funny even after resets.  I'm not going to let it bother me.

3) Drinks easy to get at bars with no real wait for the most part.

4) If you are on a plus package or premier, the desserts are in the gelato shop and they have a good selection.  Haven't tried one yet, just need to plan to...not as young as I used to be so I can't eat near as much!

Pleased to see the improvements. We are on Sky for 21 days from 13 July and your first post concerned me a little. 

Shower gel isn’t for men?  When was the last time you shopped that aisle in a big box store?  

Sadly, understaffing is a common theme this summer. We had the same experience on Enchanted 2 weeks ago.  I put it down to a full ship. I’ll be looking for a review from someone sailing at less than capacity to see if it holds true.

Any particular reason you didn’t sail for 10 years?  It does give you a different perspective from someone who sails regularly with the same line.  10 years is a lot of change to absorb all at once,

30 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Shower gel isn’t for men?  When was the last time you shopped that aisle in a big box store?  

Sadly, understaffing is a common theme this summer. We had the same experience on Enchanted 2 weeks ago.  I put it down to a full ship. I’ll be looking for a review from someone sailing at less than capacity to see if it holds true.

Any particular reason you didn’t sail for 10 years?  It does give you a different perspective from someone who sails regularly with the same line.  10 years is a lot of change to absorb all at once,

Haha...I just don't like shower gel and this is Cruise Critic!  I liked the old Lotus Spa shampoos and soaps with the eucalyptus.  Sadly, those are gone.  I bought a bar of Norwegian Soap on shore today.

Kids started college 10 years ago, we moved and I started a business.  That takes a lot of time and money!

You are correct that 10 years is a lot of change to absorb at once.  They just really seemed to have cheapened the experience.  I already know these big ships are not for me.  Way too many people.  I can't imagine what it would be like on one of the Royal Caribbean ships.  For the records, I liked the Grand class ships; and even the Crown/Emerald, with the Coral and old (pre changes) Island being favorites.  The Promenade Deck is no longer...you cannot walk all the way around the ship.  The flow is very broken up when trying to get from one place to another.

Is it true they are bringing back the traditional dining?  I saw other posts talking about changes in dining.  I liked the sittings where you had the same table so you could get to know your team and the people you sit with (if that's what you want to do).  I don't really care for the new system.  it's so...in-personal.

Another observation: bring your own laundry bags.  The paper bags they provide are so flimsy they tear when touched.  Our fantastic cabin steward brought me a garbage bag to use.  The old plastic bags were much stronger.  These paper bags are thinner than what you get in a grocery.

So far, the activities and entertainment are typical Princess, so no complaints there.  Surprisingly, we haven't had an issue getting a seat at an event...yet.

Just tried dessert from Gelato shop.  If you have a package (no charge 2x per day on plus), be sure to get some.  Very good.  Nice treat after walking around Haugesund.  The walk into town is not difficult (10-15 minutes each way); however, if you have any mobility issues you will want a ride.  The bridge is hill-shaped.  Lots of nice little shops to see.  We didn't book a tour in this port.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We agree on the large ships. We’re going back to Grand class for our next cruise. I love a wooden promenade that circles the ship and for me the forward stairs are a bonus. 

I always travel with a 13 gal garbage bag for laundry - land or sea. 

If we like our waitstaff, we ask to be seated in the same section every night. Usually the same table. That request has always been honored. 

I’ll pass on the gelato. No dairy or sugar for me. You can have mine. 

@FamilyGuy1010, just off Enchanted for 14 days. Received the note saying Elite laundry can take 72 hours. I left my ‘bag’ when I left cabin in the morning for breakfast. I saw my ‘bag’ by the Stewards cart which I assumed he takes to the laundry when he finishes all the cabins in the morning which I know can last till early afternoon. My laundry was returned the following evening every time. YMMV.

Our sailings were over 100% double occupancy at about 4100 passengers each sailing. I believe 3660 is 100% at double occupancy. I believe we had less than 300 elites each sailing.

Let us know you experience.

I’m looking forward to reading about your adventures on the Sky, as we will be embarking on the 13th for a B2B to Norway and the Baltic. Most of the Princess cruises we have been on lately have been on the Grand class ships, which of course are a little smaller. 

Have a wonderful cruise and hopefully you will have clear skies and calm seas as well as create a bunch of awesome memories on your first cruise back after 10 years. 😁

2 hours ago, wallyj said:

Our sailings were over 100% double occupancy at about 4100 passengers each sailing. I believe 3660 is 100% at double occupancy. I believe we had less than 300 elites each sailing.

I would bet your 4,100 is close to the mark.  We sailed her 6/15 and I walked multiple decks looking at screens by the door.  I could not believe how many cabins showed 3 and 4 names.  Most appeared to be Princess virgins or gold, saw very few platinum/elite. We were told by a fellow passenger at the Crown Grill bar that she heard there were 700 minors on board. Many of them would have been 3rd and 4th beds. It sure felt like well over 100% capacity.

We didn’t use the laundry but my daughter used the laundromat and had to look on several decks to find an empty machine. Sounds like you had excellent service.

9 hours ago, FamilyGuy1010 said:

Another observation: bring your own laundry bags.  The paper bags they provide are so flimsy they tear when touched.  Our fantastic cabin steward brought me a garbage bag to use.  The old plastic bags were much stronger.  These paper bags are thinner than what you get in a grocery.

I think you might be confusing the laundry bags with Royal Caribbean, as far as I remember, the only change for Princess in non suite cabins for laundry bags is the color previously was ‘white’ and the current ones are ‘brown/tan’ and seem slightly thinner.

I know you have garbage bag to use now, but I have found ‘doubling up’ helps if you feel the one bag is too flimsy.

We are just off the 6/15 cruise on the Sky as well, and our laundry service was so great this trip. We sent a bag almost everyday, and in almost all cases it was returned by the next evening. Only on one day did it take two days to come back. We found the food, service, and overall experience really wonderful - and the itinerary was amazing!

• Like 1

@BamaVol, I am pretty sure my number of passengers is very close to actual as I went to the Captains Circle party for the 6/15 and 6/22 sailings and the Future Cruise/Loyalty Ambassador gave the numbers for each tier. I believe the 6/15 sailing had 2675 brand new to Princess passengers which some call ‘Blue bees’, as previously they were issued ‘blue’ cruise cards. Now, they are issued ‘white’ medallions with a blue Seawitch. 

White medallions were previously issued for ‘inaugural’ year ship sailings, and the Seawitch matched your loyalty tier.

Today the ship was in Flam.  This is a great place to visit.  The fjord scenery is awesome.  We did the train ride and hike tour.  When Princess says the hike is strenuous, they are not lying.  It really is a 6 mile walk and the first part is very steep downhill on a gravel road.  What a great walk through the valley though.  Got lots of nice pictures and good exercise.  Train ride was awesome, because, well..train!  The snack at the hotel before the hike was waffles.  The end of the hike is at one of two train stations.  When you get to the first, the guide says the train will be there in an hour.  He then says that those that want to can wait; others can join him on another 2.2KM walk to the next station, which takes about 30 minutes.  What he doesn't tell you is that part is up AND down hill.  We did it and it felt like 10 miles!!!  We got back to the ship 10 minutes before sailing.  Because it was a ship tour, they were waiting for us.  When we got back, I had BamaVol's gelato AND mine!

I heard the laundry bags in suites are still cloth.  Those of us in steerage (mini-suite in case you are wondering) get the paper bags.  What I sent to the laundry Sunday evening; the underwear and socks came back Monday evening.  I haven't seen the jeans and 3 shirts I sent; they do say it can take up to 72 hours.  Not a big deal.

First time could not attend an event.  Music bingo was overcrowded in Princess Live, so we missed out on that.  We did see Christopher Watkins, the violin show.  He is really good at the violin.  We were tired so that was all we did.

Meal and service were good in main dining room.  Also, breakfast in the dining room this morning was much less stressful than the buffet.  No wait and the food was good.

• Like 1

A note about staying connected:

As I noted, the internet on the ship is excellent (or has been so far).  For cell phone service, it is generally much better than in the USA.  Check with your provider, but while on shore, you can use your device like at home for not much more money.  On the Verizon unlimited ultimate plan, you can roam just about everywhere with unlimited talk (in country and back to the USA) and text plus 10GB of high speed data.  In England and Norway, just about every place is 5G, with some areas LTE away from the cities.  This plan on Verizon is $10 more per month than the plan I was on.  I am sure other providers have similar offers.

@FamilyGuy1010, did you check the closet area for your jeans and 3 shirts as they would be usually returned on wire hangers. Many Stewards will hang these items in your closet. I had one Steward that would lay ALL of my returned laundry on the bed. Your Steward might have also forgotten to retrieve your Jeans and shirts. Check your folio and you should see a laundry charge that will usually be credited back that evening or next. If the charge appears to be more than just underwear and socks, then your jeans and shirts were ‘processed’ .

Never have I ever booked a cruise this early but I just booked the Sky for October, 2026 for the Canary Islands when they had that one weekend sale of $200pp OBC (price came down next day and they refared it still kept OBC).  I have sailed on the Enchanted Princess in 2022 and will again this November and enjoyed it very much.  Hopefully I will enjoy the Sky as well.

On 6/30/2024 at 12:28 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

We are currently on the Island P. I can tell (based on previous cruise experience) that yes, staff is a bit less than usual but you would be hard-pressed to see a difference in service. I was expecting to see some issues based on previous postings about the Island but so far (half way through cruise) it has been great.

I am also booked on the Island Princess for next June.  Have they fixed all the problems that were on the June 4th cruise like flooding and no AC?  Maybe you can do a review?

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

I am also booked on the Island Princess for next June.  Have they fixed all the problems that were on the June 4th cruise like flooding and no AC?  Maybe you can do a review?

I have seen *no* evidence of any of the types of issues that had been reported. 

• Thanks 1