Dress code

Jgrossman

What annoys me, people know there is a dress code but question it.  If you don’t want to follow the ‘rules’ please go somewhere else.  There are many other cruise lines to choose from.

Don’t want to pack a jacket? Wear it on the plane.  A tie takes up no room.  Ladies - black pants and a nice top also take up little space.

Why folks want to try and change things to suit themselves is totally disrespectful to others and Silversea.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I think it is about time there was a 'dress code sticky' on the forum. It would be ideal for the people who can't be bothered to search the forum ... or even change the page! 

I also agree with the previous post. There seem to be people booking a cruise and then complaining at the dress code. Again...no research?

Personal opinions of course.

• Thanks 1

Aren't the responses a touch unfair?

I think the OP was simply trying to do what everyone seems to want of him.  He was simply trying to considerately  establish before making a booking whether Silversea is currently strict about dress code. 

If SS are currently strict then it would presumably be unsuitable for the OP. I think that is what he wants know whether it right and so as to not offend others. This topic changes quickly and by ship and almost day.  No sticky would ever be completely adequate.

It they  were not strict then it might be unsuitable for those that want the dress code to be more firmly policed. He made no request for anything to be relaxed for his/her preference but simply to be told what was currently going

Please stop being angry towards considerate people folks 🙂

Isn't the OP is being considerate and doing the right thing for simply asking what is currently happening on a changing topic and therefore shouldn't he be praised and encouraged  for checking first?

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Jgrossman said:

How strict is the dress code

Hiya,

My suggestion is that you needn't be over bothered about this.  If you are normally clean and reasonably well turned out then on most or all night on some cruises (I think Med cruises don't have any formal nights but I'll be corrected) so you needn't overly worry.  The only potential issue might be on some cruises when there are formal nights in some ship locations. 

In any event there are always easy workarounds so that you will feel comfortable and not offend anyone else and if you want to try SS then you should not let this overtake all other considerations in my view.

Well done for being so considerate and checking.

(Join us on The Cooler!)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

See attached, the dress code #3.  We intend to adhere to the code and from what I read there is a decent possibility it will be enforced.  There are options on formal night that a jacket isn't necessary.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3006923-silver-dawn-dress-code/#comment-67573600

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Aren't the responses a touch unfair?

I think the OP was simply trying to do what everyone seems to want of him.  He was simply trying to considerately  establish before making a booking whether Silversea is currently strict about dress code. 

If SS are currently strict then it would presumably be unsuitable for the OP. I think that is what he wants know whether it right and so as to not offend others. This topic changes quickly and by ship and almost day.  No sticky would ever be completely adequate.

It they  were not strict then it might be unsuitable for those that want the dress code to be more firmly policed. He made no request for anything to be relaxed for his/her preference but simply to be told what was currently going

Please stop being angry towards considerate people folks 🙂

Isn't the OP is being considerate and doing the right thing for simply asking what is currently happening on a changing topic and therefore shouldn't he be praised and encouraged  for checking first?

Jeff

I don't think anyone is "being angry towards considerate people", Jeff. But most people when considering a new cruise line (to them) visit the website to check itineraries and destinations. On Silversea's website there are FAQ and General Cruise Information and Guidelines. They discuss the dress code there, and you don't even have to set up an account. Doesn't it make sense to read this rather than the myriad of responses you get from Cruise Critic posters?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

I don't think anyone is "being angry towards considerate people", Jeff. But most people when considering a new cruise line (to them) visit the website to check itineraries and destinations. On Silversea's website there are FAQ and General Cruise Information and Guidelines. They discuss the dress code there, and you don't even have to set up an account. Doesn't it make sense to read this rather than the myriad of responses you get from Cruise Critic posters?

It does.  

They didn’t ask what the dress code was, but whether it was enforced.  As they asked that precise question it implies - to me at least - that they had read the code and were asking the question they asked. Enforcement varies - some use the words dress code as dress guidelines and that implies that on some lines people are happy with that more relaxed balance whereas on others they don’t and it therefore seems like a reasonable question to me so that no one is disappointed.  There was certainly anger directed for simply considerately checking.  

It  seems better to me that someone double-checks than takes the cruise and then irritates others. Simply asking the question didn’t state or imply any intention to flout whatever the practice was but quite the reverse.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

It's a shame this topic causes such disharmony.

The OP's past posts have been on Seabourn's forum.  Just an observation.

Nevertheless, my answer to the question posed is - if you are asking how strict the dress code is - you would best learn from Silversea's posted policies on its website.

If you are asking how strictly it is enforced, well that's a different question.  IMO, sensibly, based on my limited experience and reading the posts of others.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

It's a shame this topic causes such disharmony.

The OP's past posts have been on Seabourn's forum.  Just an observation.

Nevertheless, my answer to the question posed is - if you are asking how strict the dress code is - you would best learn from Silversea's posted policies on its website.

If you are asking how strictly it is enforced, well that's a different question.  IMO, sensibly, based on my limited experience and reading the posts of others.

That was my reading of it too QSS. Of course, one line without any context, follow up, punctuation or clarification does leave it open to many interpretations. It might not even have been a question. There was no question mark. 

Edited by DavyWavey70
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

I don't think there is a no pet policy.  RCI has made a big thing about having a "Chief Dog Officer" on Icon of the Seas:  

https://nypost.com/2024/01/22/lifestyle/puppy-gets-free-cruise-on-royal-caribbeans-icon-of-the-seas-as-chief-dog-officer/

Well, looks like those of us who thought dogs on board was against the rules must have been wrong.  Let the barking commence.

I Find myself getting irritated by those that think they’re above the rules. A Friend of mine is kept alive by of her Hypo Hound. He saves her life on a weekly basis. The thought that people jump on the bandwagon with emotional support animals (which is a whole can of worms)  is what I don’t like. 

• Like 4