Cell phone use?

riversights

25 minutes ago, riversights said:

This topic may have been hacked to death already, but I have to ask:  Do you use your cell phone on ship?  Whatever you have to say about this will be enlightening to a couple of new voyagers.  Thank you!

You might find more answers in multiple threads on this board, if you do a search, but the basic answer is:

Assuming your phone and plan support it, use WiFi calling.  For this you turn on airplane mode (so you don't accidently use the expensive ship's Cellular at Sea connection) and then turn on WiFi and connect to the ship's WiFi.  Calling and texting will be available according to your plan at home.  So you are calling from your home number so that calls and texts to other US numbers are included, as any other inclusions.  It's treated just like a call at home, so calls to foreign countries, including the countries you are visiting will be charged accordingly 

Data is on the ship's WiFi so that does not involve any charges other than the cost of a WiFi package, if required. On Oceania, WiFi is included for two account per stateroom, restricted to one device at at time for each account.  Some folks use app like What'sApp for calling home which uses the ship's WiFi.

Off ship you will need a foreign travel plan.  Different phone providers offer different plans, so you should research what's available to you with you provider.  To use foreign plans, turn Airplane mode off.  

• Thanks 2

Pay attention to your Cell Phone providers pricing and programs, all will be different. Keeping your phone in Airplane Mode on Board can save you 💰💰💰💰. Cellular at Sea is EXPENSIVE. We use T Mobile so using the Wi Fi calling, we get Free Data and Texting and calls from anywhere we have been in the world have never been more than $0.25 a minute. 
Years ago we saw some Grandkids on a Med Cruise with Grandpa and Grandma break out in tears in front of the IT Manager when they saw their end of cruise Statement, luckily before Grandpa. They had run up over $1,000 in Internet charges.  
Airplane Mode unless someone else is paying your phone bill. 😇👍🙏It is amazing to see so many people just talking away with people for hours, just as if they were at home but that is their business because we did not go on a cruise to just chat with the folks at home.  
Have a great cruise.

Mauibabes

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, riversights said:

That's why we asked this question!  The replies are immensely helpful for understanding the issues involved.  We are trying to understand where the trapdoors are located.🙃  Thank you.  You are a blessing.

Like @mauibabes, we use T-Mobile.  Our plan include unlimited calls, texts and high speed data domestically, as well as in Canada and Mexico.  Our plans also include unlimited texts, 5GB of high speed data (5G where available) per month per line, and $0.25 per minute for calls for 225 countries.  After 5GB, the plan include unlimited 2G, which is very slow, but useable.  There are newer, more expensive T-Mobile plans that have much high data allowances, but 5 GB per month works for us.  We don't use What'sApp because it requires the receiver of our calls to be using it, too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Pay attention to your Cell Phone providers pricing and programs, all will be different. Keeping your phone in Airplane Mode on Board can save you 💰💰💰💰. Cellular at Sea is EXPENSIVE. We use T Mobile so using the Wi Fi calling, we get Free Data and Texting and calls from anywhere we have been in the world have never been more than $0.25 a minute. 
Years ago we saw some Grandkids on a Med Cruise with Grandpa and Grandma break out in tears in front of the IT Manager when they saw their end of cruise Statement, luckily before Grandpa. They had run up over $1,000 in Internet charges.  
Airplane Mode unless someone else is paying your phone bill. 😇👍🙏It is amazing to see so many people just talking away with people for hours, just as if they were at home but that is their business because we did not go on a cruise to just chat with the folks at home.  
Have a great cruise.

Mauibabes

Except for needing to check in at home I honestly don't see why people want/need to call anyone. We have an adult daughter and she and her family regularly go off the grid for a couple of weeks sometimes.

• Like 1

We will likely not be using cell phones unless we need to retrieve travel documents.  But there's always the unforeseen.  We want to be "wise as serpents" and well prepared.  You are supplying travel savvy.  The conversation itself is helpful in processing.   

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, clo said:

Except for needing to check in at home I honestly don't see why people want/need to call anyone. We have an adult daughter and she and her family regularly go off the grid for a couple of weeks sometimes.

Your daughter doesn’t talk to you for weeks at a time?

1 minute ago, Kay S said:

Your daughter doesn’t talk to you for weeks at a time?

Oh, I didn't mention that she's 47 🙂 In March she was skiing with a group in Norway. The family of four frequently are off the grid for a couple of weeks. If there were an emergency neither of us could help the other.

As mentioned by others, we too turn our iPhone on airplane mode and then, WiFi to connect to the ship's free WiFi. We don't have an international calling plan and don't require one as we use WhatsApp.  It is free app and provides for free international and domestic LD calls and texts.  As posted, the receiver does need to be on WhatsApp. Our important contacts use WhatsApp as well.  Never encountered an issue and it is easy to download and use. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

As mentioned by others, we too turn our iPhone on airplane mode and then, WiFi to connect to the ship's free WiFi. We don't have an international calling plan and don't require one as we use WhatsApp.  It is free app and provides for free international and domestic LD calls and texts.  As posted, the receiver does need to be on WhatsApp. Our important contacts use WhatsApp as well.  Never encountered an issue and it is easy to download and use. 

What do you in port when the ship's WiFi is not available?  We see the advantages and disadvantages onboard, but is there a port advantage?

5 hours ago, clo said:

A kindred spirit! Although where I live, going off the grid is often not optional when traveling from A to B ⛰️🏕️ 🤠

(Oh, and yes, we have used Wifi calling/texting while onboard)

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1

For us when we are in port, we get a text, Welcome to ? And your charge is $.25 a minute. Also you can get on line, internet cafe’s, Starbucks, etc. throughout the world but of course there are exceptions. 
your Carrier can always provide you with special packages, especially if you will need a considerable amount of communication access to work, family or …. 

Just don’t get on a two hour conference call with work while at sea and using the Cellular at Sea option, 🤪💰💰💰💰💰💰 per minute. 

Mauibabes

11 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

What do you in port when the ship's WiFi is not available?  We see the advantages and disadvantages onboard, but is there a port advantage?

Good question. We have always had WiFi while sailing - when ashore, one would need to use public WiFi.  We have never had a need/requirement to use public WiFi and using the ship's WiFi while sailing has worked out for us.  In the event of an emergency to connect with family/friends while in port with no O Wifi, we would go ashore and use public (usually free) WiFi which seems to be easily available.

15 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Good question. We have always had WiFi while sailing - when ashore, one would need to use public WiFi.  We have never had a need/requirement to use public WiFi and using the ship's WiFi while sailing has worked out for us.  In the event of an emergency to connect with family/friends while in port with no O Wifi, we would go ashore and use public (usually free) WiFi which seems to be easily available.

Thanks.  On shore we tend to use Google maps, not so much calling or texting, unless we're trying to connect to a tour provider we booked or ordering an Uber via its app.  So data access is our main focus in ports.  In those cases, public WiFi isn't very convenient, and I have to admit that I also don't trust the security of public WiFi, especially in foreign countries unless it's in a museum for audio tours.

Edited by 1985rz1

One of my hobbies is entering contest. I don't know why but it's been years since I had a vacation where I didn't get notified that I won something. Our last cruise, I got a phone call that I had won a trip to Paris that, unfortunately, left while we were still on the cruise. Since I had my phone set to wifi calls, I received the call while sailing and didn't have to pay some exorbitant fee. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, riversights said:

Many splendid insights here!  Maybe a sea cruise will cure us of the impulse to constantly check our screens.😉

We just leave our phones in the room while on the ship. If anyone needs to notify us of an emergency while we're sipping drinks and watching the waves, they have the ship's emergency phone number.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AMHuntFerry said:

We just leave our phones in the room while on the ship. If anyone needs to notify us of an emergency while we're sipping drinks and watching the waves, they have the ship's emergency phone number.

We take our phones with us on the ship...not that we're expecting any phone calls, texts or emails that have to be answered.  Rather we find there are always interesting photographic opportunities (not just food 🤔 ) and we want to be prepared to capture the memory moment.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

We take our phones with us on the ship...not that we're expecting any phone calls, texts or emails that have to be answered.  Rather we find there are always interesting photographic opportunities (not just food 🤔 ) and we want to be prepared to capture the memory moment.

I get that - I think it's more common than not. We both come from families that aren't prolific photographers...usually just planned photo shoots, very few memory-photos.

21 hours ago, clo said:

I'm sure we all have different opinions on communication and for that matter any subject on CC.   I have a daughter that calls me daily for a 5 minute chat -  She also suffered brain damage during a transplant and occasionally have seizures.    She also finds that Dad (even though she is 38) can talk her through the per-seizure while her meds take effect.   Normally less than 3-4 minutes.  

Beside that living in the hear of Silicon Valley I'm connected and wired via various means 24 hours a day.    Just my preference.  

I also usually shoot lots of pictures and Live Post on all my cruises.

I on the other hand,  totally respect those that want to disconnect.   Just not for me.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

Sure we use our phone on cruises (and everywhere in the world), but one does need to understand what they can and cannot do.  On a ship, keep the phone in Airplane Mode, activate its WiFi and, assuming you have included (or paid) WiFi access use what is available.  On most ships you will have the Web, texting ability (or Whats App) and on some ships you will be able to actually make/receive phone calls over WiFi (VOIP).  

On (or within about 10 miles) of shore it depends on your cell phone provider and your plan.  If you have T-Mobile (like we do) than it is likely you can use your phone just about everywhere in the world without paying an extra fee other than 25 cents/min for phone calls.  With other plans you need to inquire about your options (you will usually be able to get worldwide use for a monthly fee).

When we are in Europe, South America, Latin America or Asia, we use our phone just like at home (we have T-Mobile) including for its GPS / mapping capability.  I

Hank

• Like 1