Live from the Land of Princess

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

have been handwashing my clothes but then tonight there was an empty seat next to me at the bar, so now I think it’s time to do a load of laundry.

Lol.  I’ve been MIA for the past week due to elder care..so just catching up from last week.  You have made me chuckle so much, thank you 😊.  

I believe that person was saving an extra seat between y’all since you never know who might sit down.  😊

• Like 3

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

More help needed, please!

What are your best “I have no status so I don’t get free laundry” tips?

I have been handwashing my clothes but then tonight there was an empty seat next to me at the bar, so now I think it’s time to do a load of laundry.

I brought laundry soap and dryer sheets. 

Are there chairs in there? Do I take a book and read in the laundry room for 90 minutes? Bring a pillow and cozy up for a little nap? Do I put the wash in, time it right, switch to the dryer, time it right and return?  I barely packed any clothes: what if someone steals my undies?

FYI: my cabin is aaaaaaallllllllllll the way forward. Laundry is way at the back. I have no laundry bag. I’m thinking pillow case, yes??

I also need to plan this strategically and make sure I have something to wear while the clothes are being washed. I guess I could wear my bathing suit and maybe put the ship-provided bath robe on top. On NCL people walk around in bathrobes. On Princess, not so much.

Next time I will rethink this packing light business.

Oh wait! I have a better solution: I need to do more cruises to get status and free laundry!

Sounds like a lot of work. Just buy new clothes. I'm sure you will find a great selection at the gift shop onboard!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Funny laundry on the ship story...we DO have elite status and get free laundry on Princess, so rarely (if ever) go to the laundry room. Last year, we sailed for the first time on Cunard (no status) so ventured off to do some laundry. I got quite excited to see that the machines were all free and may or may not have loudly exclaimed my excitement, to the tune of "Wow. Free laundry. Princess doesn't have that." At which a lady passenger in the laundry room looked scornfully at me and said, "Oh yes, dear. You're on the Queens now." At that point I hightailed it outta there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

4 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I have no laundry bag. I’m thinking pillow case, yes??

4 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I also need to plan this strategically and make sure I have something to wear while the clothes are being washed.

While you can use the pillow case as a laundry bag, you can also drape the bedsheet around you as a toga. It's a timeless classic...unisex and one size fits all. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

13 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

While you can use the pillow case as a laundry bag, you can also drape the bedsheet around you as a toga. It's a timeless classic...unisex and one size fits all. 

Add a necklace and you got yourself a formal night gown!

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

Recently on the Emerald, we saw a woman wearing the gold/tan bed runner as a shawl as she strolled around the ship. We had lots of laughs about that for days.

• Haha 11

10 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

More help needed, please!

What are your best “I have no status so I don’t get free laundry” tips?

I have been handwashing my clothes but then tonight there was an empty seat next to me at the bar, so now I think it’s time to do a load of laundry.

I brought laundry soap and dryer sheets. 

Are there chairs in there? Do I take a book and read in the laundry room for 90 minutes? Bring a pillow and cozy up for a little nap? Do I put the wash in, time it right, switch to the dryer, time it right and return?  I barely packed any clothes: what if someone steals my undies?

FYI: my cabin is aaaaaaallllllllllll the way forward. Laundry is way at the back. I have no laundry bag. I’m thinking pillow case, yes??

I also need to plan this strategically and make sure I have something to wear while the clothes are being washed. I guess I could wear my bathing suit and maybe put the ship-provided bath robe on top. On NCL people walk around in bathrobes. On Princess, not so much.

Next time I will rethink this packing light business.

Oh wait! I have a better solution: I need to do more cruises to get status and free laundry!

We like long cruises but not extra bags of clothes so I do laundry at least twice. Love that Princess has laundry areas and worth it to me. I bring tabs and sheets every trip and plan a mid day time to do this chore. I have found this time less hectic in the laundry rooms. Set your timer for a few minutes before each load is done and head back. They also have irons in the laundry room if you need them. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Or a few strategically placed dryer sheets.

• Haha 7

14 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Sounds like a lot of work. Just buy new clothes. I'm sure you will find a great selection at the gift shop onboard!

We used to know a woman whose mother and her husband decided to "sail around the world" in their sailboat. They made it as far as the Sea of Cortez and ended up staying there for a (very) extended time. They found it cheap and easy to just repeatedly replace parts of their clothing rather than dealing with laundry. They donated their "used" clothing and bought new stuff. Sounds odd to me but then I find quite a lot of folks "odd" in their own way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

We like long cruises but not extra bags of clothes so I do laundry at least twice. Love that Princess has laundry areas and worth it to me. I bring tabs and sheets every trip and plan a mid day time to do this chore. I have found this time less hectic in the laundry rooms. Set your timer for a few minutes before each load is done and head back. They also have irons in the laundry room if you need them. 

My life philosophy is to avoid buying clothes that need ironing. My mom used to iron the tea towels. She would not be proud of me.

• Like 9

I keep hearing people say there’s nothing to do in Seydisfjordur.

They are wrong.

I am on a teacher’s budget so did not book an expensive excursion today. If the ship had offered a trip to Vok Nature Baths I would have jumped at the opportunity to return.

Instead, I choose my adventure.

First up was a hike up to the waterfall.

Lupine leads the way.

IMG_8038.thumb.jpeg.f3b7a7f91c39cb7d6b482dd1d6de6437.jpeg

clearly I was captivated by the bees

IMG_8050.thumb.jpeg.82dea3aca0e73cbe440f594aac8281d8.jpeg

IMG_8052.thumb.jpeg.58c7bafa3f318be452946ea2572110dd.jpeg

IMG_8039.thumb.jpeg.dd6fb355e7697055b1468c978e35fc24.jpeg

IMG_8042.thumb.jpeg.ed9420d84ade2df5ba048887eda4fdc0.jpeg

IMG_8046.thumb.jpeg.acf343ba9a817c427909a0e1f760bda8.jpeg

IMG_8043.thumb.jpeg.9c3c662c2bd51dda1aa4013b90d70ae1.jpeg

IMG_8045.thumb.jpeg.3ed456dfee435cffe0d99b928ae09db4.jpeg

IMG_8059.thumb.jpeg.580db37fe818bc1b7ab311d4d738036b.jpeg

IMG_8061.thumb.jpeg.616de4e01b2cf3b6d3e9570d886eae0a.jpeg

Views from the top are stunning

IMG_8054.thumb.jpeg.25277e5453730528904844f284070556.jpeg

IMG_8063.thumb.jpeg.45440f13a45ac1dda5debee5d491c902.jpeg

• Like 21

After walking up the hill I walked down the hill and along the road to the art installation. On the way I ran into Odean from the Island Princess shore excursions department. He said, “Yvonne, you are out on an adventure!”

That made me smile.

IMG_8064.thumb.jpeg.fb5e1cb530acf648bd9e1ab5f2637b0c.jpeg

IMG_8067.thumb.jpeg.4b814f373a326eca970ed4a74a1ef12f.jpeg

IMG_8069.thumb.jpeg.04855ae06704cbd29b3724eb417c5bae.jpeg

IMG_8072.thumb.jpeg.b537b72b58e5d26b9d94bf757f662d9b.jpeg

I had to hang onto a tree to get this photo then my shoe came off 

IMG_8074.thumb.jpeg.abd5e4ccd1550d7d9f35575acde8aac2.jpeg

IMG_8076.thumb.jpeg.18407e43781b55459c5177ff058b98dd.jpeg

• Like 17