Change from Refundable to Non-Refundable?

Oceangoer2

Happy 4th of July!  I've searched the forum with no results.  Did anyone have a push back from X changing from Ref. to NR?  If we're definitely taking the cruise (barring health issues) and a month before final payment, it seems logical to not pay the exorbitant extra fee.  After final it seems there's a penalty of some kind for cancelling? So why pay for refundable?  Please educate me...

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

There shouldn't be an issue. Just remember when you refare your booking to the nonrefundable rate, it will be at the current fare rather than when you first booked it.

Thanks....I assumed this would be the case but didn't want some large hidden charge or opinion that I couldn't change once I had booked refundable....I've held the refundable for over a year (due to DH health issues) and one month out of final (August) it didn't make sense to pay the overage for a refundable booking.  Current fare is ok but if I have to cancel the NR in the next 3 months, I wonder if X would allow a change to another cruise with $100 penalty pp?  I think that was the approach in the past before the $$ changes X has implemented.

8 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Thanks....I assumed this would be the case but didn't want some large hidden charge or opinion that I couldn't change once I had booked refundable....I've held the refundable for over a year (due to DH health issues) and one month out of final (August) it didn't make sense to pay the overage for a refundable booking.  Current fare is ok but if I have to cancel the NR in the next 3 months, I wonder if X would allow a change to another cruise with $100 penalty pp?  I think that was the approach in the past before the $$ changes X has implemented.

Someone else will have to answer this question, as I have no practical experience switching the itinerary of a NRD booking after final payment to a different itinerary farther out.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

As it was explained to me that after final payment, penalty will apply. X consider that as cancelation of that booking, but if you will MOVE booking number to another cruise, that might be treated differently.  That is why we always have travel insurance.

1 hour ago, ISABELLA said:

but if you will MOVE booking number to another cruise, that might be treated differently.  That is why we always have travel insurance.

That was my thought....I'm pretty sure I can move it (with no change to booking number) with a minimum penalty but recent deposit penalties may have changed from what was done in the past. We're  E+ with Celebrity and have been treated fairly decently when making changes.  Just asking those who may be experienced with this particular situation.....and yes....of course we have travel insurance;  hopefully wouldn't be needed.

Edited by Oceangoer2

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

There shouldn't be an issue. Just remember when you refare your booking to the nonrefundable rate, it will be at the current fare rather than when you first booked it.

We tried to switch a from refundable to non-refundable before final payment but the cabin category was sold out so we could refare to non-refundable.

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

We tried to switch a from refundable to non-refundable before final payment but the cabin category was sold out so we could refare to non-refundable.

You could or couldn’t refare?  🤷‍♂️.  I think you are saying that you couldn’t.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks all for your comments.  We successfully moved from refundable to non-refundable.  There WERE cabins available in the class we booked so no doubt that's why it was possible.  Still the question....what if...we have to change the cruise AFTER final payment....what kind of penalty will there be?  Crossing that bridge if we come to it...hopefully not.

Never had a problem having my agent change from Ref to NR but you may loose any promotions at time of booking.  

If they give you a hard time and you want the NR price.  Either ask for a Supervisor and/or ask them Cancel for a full refund and rebook.    Again a reason you may wish to use an Agent so they will take care of it without all of the problems

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

Never had a problem having my agent change from Ref to NR but you may loose any promotions at time of booking.  

If they give you a hard time and you want the NR price.  Either ask for a Supervisor and/or ask them Cancel for a full refund and rebook.    Again a reason you may wish to use an Agent so they will take care of it without all of the problems

Thanks Jim....we changed without a problem and kept our OBC...offered in the 'old' days...LOL.

1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Thanks all for your comments.  We successfully moved from refundable to non-refundable.  There WERE cabins available in the class we booked so no doubt that's why it was possible.  Still the question....what if...we have to change the cruise AFTER final payment....what kind of penalty will there be?  Crossing that bridge if we come to it...hopefully not.

After payment due date you would loose your full cruise fare or a percentage under terms according to how far out you cancelled -- 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/cancellation-policy