Best Pizza at Sea About to Get Better as Princess Announces New Partnership with World Pizza Champion Chef Tony Gemig

1 hour ago, Z0nker said:

Will this be available only at Alfredo's / Gigi's or pool deck, too?

Based on the below from the Press Release, it looks like those pizza's will only be available at Alfredo's or Gigi's.

The new Chef Gemignani-designed pizzas will take center stage at Alfredo's and Gigi's specialty pizzerias

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We were on the Sky Princess and participated in the world's largest pizza party across all ships in the Princess fleet on July 12, 2024. It was an interesting, well-regulated event. Each person had to sign in with their medallion to the event, held in the World Fresh Marketplace. We were given a sticker and assigned to a specific section and a table.  We were all given two squares of pizza. We received one square of cheese and one square of pepperoni. At a precisely determined moment, we were allowed to start eating and were required to finish everything on our plate for it to count.  We were required to stay for 15 minutes to finish but could have as long as 30 minutes.

The pizza was just ok in my opinion--the cheese had way too much cheese on it, and the pepperoni was way too oily. But the experience of participating in the event was pretty cool. This was the night before debarkation, so I never found out if we were part of the record-breaking world's largest pizza party. My husband thought the pizza was pretty good, but I am a pizza snob from NYC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jajsmom said:

We were on the Sky Princess and participated in the world's largest pizza party across all ships in the Princess fleet on July 12, 2024. It was an interesting, well-regulated event. Each person had to sign in with their medallion to the event, held in the World Fresh Marketplace. We were given a sticker and assigned to a specific section and a table.  We were all given two squares of pizza. We received one square of cheese and one square of pepperoni. At a precisely determined moment, we were allowed to start eating and were required to finish everything on our plate for it to count.  We were required to stay for 15 minutes to finish but could have as long as 30 minutes.

The pizza was just ok in my opinion--the cheese had way too much cheese on it, and the pepperoni was way too oily. But the experience of participating in the event was pretty cool. This was the night before debarkation, so I never found out if we were part of the record-breaking world's largest pizza party. My husband thought the pizza was pretty good, but I am a pizza snob from NYC.

I think you missed the point of this event. To generate publicity for a new partnership with a famous pizza chef, and the pizza will be better with this partnership. Hopefully the subpar slices you received will be on the way out. Multiple social media posts confirmed the record was set.  

1 hour ago, jajsmom said:

The pizza was just ok in my opinion--the cheese had way too much cheese on it, and the pepperoni was way too oily.

From another poster @YVRteacher: yes, a world record was achieved.  Congrats.  That's pretty cool.

Um, regarding your assessment of the pizza, it's obviously unfair to judge Princess for their pies based on this one effort to mass produce so many slices in such limited time.

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

I think you missed the point of this event. To generate publicity for a new partnership with a famous pizza chef, and the pizza will be better with this partnership. Hopefully the subpar slices you received will be on the way out. Multiple social media posts confirmed the record was set.  

As I said, I think the event itself was very cool. Pizza tastiness is very personal.  As I said, I did not like it, but my husband did.

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

From another poster @YVRteacher: yes, a world record was achieved.  Congrats.  That's pretty cool.

Um, regarding your assessment of the pizza, it's obviously unfair to judge Princess for their pies based on this one effort to mass produce so many slices in such limited time.

Very exciting that we were part of a world record! And yes, the pizza was mass produced and barely warm. But good pizza is great cold for breakfast, and this was not it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jajsmom said:

Very exciting that we were part of a world record! And yes, the pizza was mass produced and barely warm. But good pizza is great cold for breakfast, and this was not it.

don't forget to pop a top on a tall boy, take a drink, then leave it out all night to have with that cold pizza from the night before ... 

nah - that never happened back in the day - leftover pizza?  an open beer?

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2024 at 1:38 PM, JamieLogical said:

I have had pizza on other Celebrity ships and it didn't hold a candle to MSC. Maybe the pizza on the Apex specifically is better somehow? Have you had MSC pizza?

We've been on several MSC ships and agree their pizza is the best of the lines we've been on, including our trip on Celebrity Apex. The pizza on Apex was very good but we still think MSC is the best. 

We'll be on Sun Princess this November and look forward to seeing how this compares.

• 1 month later...

The best thing about Princess Pizza is that it is a simple basic slice of pizza with the right ratio of cheese to sauce with a foldable curst. Now they are turning it in to gourmet pizza which is an entire different category. I don't want fruit, macaroni or a salad on my pizza. I just want a simple slice for lunch or late snack. Also I refuse to pay for pizza on a cruise. It's not something I must have.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 3:51 PM, wcook said:

Considering where this thread is, I’m going to say Princess 🙂 But in reality, nobody has stood out enough to be called “best at sea.” The only pizza that has really stood out is RCI… easily worst at sea. 

RCI is pretty bad but it has improved from the cardboard disk topped with acid tomato sauce and a sprinkle of cheese that it once was. Celebrity had the same recipe or they both ordered it from 7 eleven.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

This will not affect their by the slice venues on the Lido Deck.

I didn't think so. I still don't understand people paying for pizza in Alfredo's. The only time I paid for Pizza on Princess was in 1991 on embarkation day. Back in those days they didn't have buffets. We were on the Crown Princess and they had Alfredo's on the upper deck where you had to pay for a pizza pie. I think it was $12 for a large pie. I don't remember thinking it was the best pizza at sea but this was also the first time I ate pizza at sea. I'm from NY. If it was bad I would have remembered that.

I love pizza.. so this sounds like a win for me. 

Lido pizza is good (especially the Mexican one), Alfredo’s pizza is great. It will be interesting to see how this could improve what I think is already a quality product. But to be fair, I also enjoy those little square Totinos frozen pizzas,  so I'm easy to please.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I still don't understand people paying for pizza in Alfredo's. The only time I paid for Pizza on Princess was in 1991 on embarkation day. Back in those days they didn't have buffets. We were on the Crown Princess 

Cruise ships with no buffets? How did they feed so many people at once? Did everyone go to the dining rooms? 

1 hour ago, Teechur said:

Cruise ships with no buffets? How did they feed so many people at once? Did everyone go to the dining rooms? 

First off they only carried 1500 to 2000 passengers unlike the 7000 that some ships carry now. They only had early and late breakfast and dinner seating times in the MDR. No anytime dining or specialty restaurants except for Alfredo's which was empty.  Lunch was open seating. They did have late breakfast and lunch cafeteria style like schools have on the pool deck. Very limited choices for both breakfast and lunch. They had a midnight buffet which was more about culinary art than it was about eating. They would allow you in before time to let you take pictures and then it opened for service.

2 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

I. But to be fair, I also enjoy those little square Totinos frozen pizzas.

You just lost all creditability in terms of judging pizza. I have a friend from the Bronx who likes Domino's. He's lived in Florida too long.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

You just lost all creditability in terms of judging pizza. I have a friend from the Bronx who likes Domino's. He's lived in Florida too long.

I didn't say they were good.. just that I like them...

I'm an equal opportunity pizza consumer. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

I didn't say they were good.. just that I like them...

I'm an equal opportunity pizza consumer. 😉

Ok, Now I understand. I've eaten bad frozen pizza out of desperation. It resulted in me having to take 2 Tums for acid reflux. I stay away from it totally now.