Using a cruise ship for round trip transportation ?

2 hours ago, zqvol said:

Most ships are sailing at over 100% capacity, I’m not sure where you got your info, but it is certainly not what is reported. 

Huh!  Very few ships sail with all cabins occupied.  Over 100% reflects extra passengers in cabins.  Technically, no ship can sail at more than 100% capacity.  It’s like someone saying they’ll give it 110%.  Not logically possible.

51 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Huh!  Very few ships sail with all cabins occupied.  Over 100% reflects extra passengers in cabins.  Technically, no ship can sail at more than 100% capacity.  It’s like someone saying they’ll give it 110%.  Not logically possible.

Happens every day. 100% is based on 2 per cabin and many cabins hold 3 or 4 so you get over 100%. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Happens every day. 100% is based on 2 per cabin and many cabins hold 3 or 4 so you get over 100%. 

Please reread my post as this is acknowledged.  My point is while ships sail “+100%” occupancy, they seldom sail with all cabins occupied. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Please reread my post as this is acknowledged.  My point is while ships sail “+100%” occupancy, they seldom sail with all cabins occupied. 

What is your source? There are threads here about people being asked to "move over" because ships are over sold, includingus sailing just last March. There're many of us who have experienced full (double occupancy) and greater than full sailings.

17 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

What is your source? There are threads here about people being asked to "move over" because ships are over sold, includingus sailing just last March. There're many of us who have experienced full (double occupancy) and greater than full sailings.

Crew, and the operative word was seldom not never.  

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Technically, no ship can sail at more than 100% capacity.

Technically, yes it can.  If you read the fine print, it says that "capacity" is defined as "double occupancy".  There is a "standard" capacity (double occupancy of all cabins) and a "maximum capacity" (the survival craft capacity).

6 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

From my experience, sailing without all cabins occupied is rare, not seldom.  And, I was in the weekly onboard revenue/yield meetings.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

From my experience, sailing without all cabins occupied is rare, not seldom.  And, I was in the weekly onboard revenue/yield meetings.

Could this depend on the cruise line?  For Disney, my understanding is "capacity" is set by maximum number of people per muster station.  So for longer cruises during school, there might be every room occupied by say an average 3 people.  But shorter cruises during school break might have more rooms with 4 and 5 people in them and thus might have several empty cabins because the muster stations have reached capacity. I've heard also of instances when a cabin might be open for 2 people, but not 4 for the same reason.

22 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

The 100% capacity is normally based on double occupancy of the total number of pax cabins. This is not the ship's total compliment, which is based on the capacity of the Survival Craft and Assembly Stations. The ship can sail at over 100 % capacity (based on double occupancy), but the total number of pax, crew, contractors, etc cannot exceed the maximum compliment and the capacity of each Assembly Station cannot be exceeded.

Ships sailing at over 100% capacity is achieved by filling the 3rd and 4th bunks in a number of cabins. In addition, many ships have additional cabins available in crew areas, which if pax cabins are full, can be assigned to the friends and family members, who don't have an assigned cabin before departure. These cabins are not counted when determining the ship's capacity.

Sailing with our son, we have been assigned one of the cabins on a number of cruises, when no pax cabins were available. Any empty pax cabins upon departure are often filled by the friends/family members approved to sail.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, NurseDave said:

Could this depend on the cruise line?  For Disney, my understanding is "capacity" is set by maximum number of people per muster station.  So for longer cruises during school, there might be every room occupied by say an average 3 people.  But shorter cruises during school break might have more rooms with 4 and 5 people in them and thus might have several empty cabins because the muster stations have reached capacity. I've heard also of instances when a cabin might be open for 2 people, but not 4 for the same reason.

Disney may be an outlier, I don't know.  Most lines will start to restrict booking 3/4 person in a cabin, if all cabins are not booked and the muster station is approaching the limit.  In other words, they prefer to have a party of 3/4 book two double occupancy cabins over one 4 person cabin.

• Thanks 1