My View: Will we be Enchanted by Princess? (Live Views from a Princess Newbie)

APDMOM

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from APDMOM! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

APDMOM was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Counting down 2 days until we board...

We did it!

We reached 'that age' where we no longer require the adventurous ship, but rather a 'new' experience with a 'just right' price.  We have been on 44-45 cruises, including Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Costa, Norwegian, Celebrity, and MSC.  The addiction started in 2004, and has been growing since!

TIP: For those who are new to my style of reporting, I will post Tips in Red for the skim-readers.  Many of these tips, I found right here on Cruise Critic, and I pay it forward by incorporating what we found to be helpful in my review.

Most of my reviews are picture heavy and will typically include some photos of food, menus, the daily program, and lots of ship pictures.

I hope to keep up daily with my review, but may get a day behind here or there.  I NEED to try to stay on course, as we will be jumping from this ship over to Norwegian Breakaway, after one night's stay in Fort Lauderdale.

Requests:

If you have any requests, please fee free to ask here.  I will do my best to find information for you while I am on the ship.  If it gets to be too much (to the point that it interferes with my vacation), I will let you know.  However, I love to serve people, so I will follow up on any reasonable requests.  🙂

Our Itinerary: (So far no changes) We have no excursions booked, as we have been to all the ports.  We cancelled our Belize excursion last week. 

Screenshot2024-07-11at6_01_58PM.png.d78bab2956f98c8f59b0c2157d397581.png

Screenshot2024-07-11at5_57_42PM.thumb.png.305c94201b500e6dc982ab8d5dac56ca.png

• Like 7

Our Medallion Timeline:

Shipping Confirmation email - 6/20/2024 (There was no tracking information in our email)

In our Florida Mailbox - 7/1/2024

882f5889-4c97-44ac-969f-4e413e33f157.thumb.jpg.79b04f7df80fb2436dd0c65096f99af0.jpg

TIP:  For other newbies... The Medallion comes with a laniard.  If you prefer to wear your Medallion on a wrist band rather than the laniard that is provided, I ordered some from Amazon.  You can also order other wearable jewelry for the Medallion from Princess, but these were much cheaper.

IMG_2768.thumb.jpg.c0d4078c01cdf360c7a5cca41a501eea.jpg

IMG_2746.thumb.JPG.dfd1637ecb4dc773f1ef4f2b3bcb9769.JPG

• Like 4

A bit about us:

We are a quirky, left-brain family of 3.  The two men in my life excel at quirkiness, such as watching Friday night documentaries about black holes and 'not so' general knowledge that cause my eyes to glaze over. 🤣 

We typically LOVE cruises and don't sweat the small stuff.  We are not 'glass half full' people, because the cup runs over.  We are thankful for every opportunity we get to hear that  'ding' as we board the ship to enjoy the open sea views.  

Welcome to our adventure!

IMG_7675.thumb.jpg.6cb9e89a7a18359b0c41e7fe0599df71.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

This Cruise Experience:  Princess Plus

Like typical Newbies, we did a little bit of research before booking a balcony with a couch bed, since we did not want a rollaway bed.  After researching more, we discovered Princess Plus, and decided to upgrade.  It was a no-brainer for us, as we planned on getting wifi and pay gratuities anyway.  The other extras were therefore quite cheap, once you factor those two expenses in.

We have an aft balcony, so I really look forward to those aft views, of which I am sure to post plenty here.

With that, I have some packing to complete, as we leave tomorrow for our Hampton Inn in Fort Lauderdale.  Thank you for cruising along! 

Here is one wake view to hold us over - from our December cruise on Norwegian Escape.

IMG_4158.thumb.JPG.fcd97cd90cfd323a0aa4bd12f917dfb4.JPG

• Like 6

I liked the Hampton Inn with it's free breakfast.  With 3, I would opt for an UBER rather than pay the hotel transfer fees.  Plus you "might" beat the crowds.

Get to the port early (leave hotel 10/10:30) and enjoy embarkation lunch in the MDR from noon to 1:30).

I will enjoy following your live although I am not a fan of the Royal Class ships.  Your writing style is very user friendly.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I sailed Enchanted for 14 nights last May and again 14 more in June.

My first time to Belize and felt the long tender ride was not worth it as I did not have an excursions/tour. Taking the tender back was a longish wait till the tender filled and they say they leave every 1/2 hour. The tender we caught back was utilizing top and bottom decks. But once back to the ship, they were only using top deck to get back on ship, so the majority of us which were on the lower deck had to wait till top deck cleared then climb narrow internal stairs to get to top deck.

Enchanted most likely will depart from Terminal 2. There is a back street entrance which does not require the port entry security stop. Some Uber drivers know and some will just follow what their GPS routing tells them.

They normally open the terminal for checking in at 10am. Many signs will say 10:15 or later. Lines are already long by 10am, so I suggest you leave your hotel no later than 9am. 

At the terminal, there will be 2 lines. Stay in the left lane as the right lane merges back into the left lane people when you enter the terminal. They will have special assistance/wheelchairs with another lane against the wall, sometimes not so obvious and some not so needy passengers joining in on this lane.

Once inside the terminal you first go thru security/X-ray check, then separated into blue lane, green lane. 

Both times, once after checking in, allowed to directly board ship around 10:30.

May trip was my first time on Enchanted and I was Enchanted and look forward to sailing on this ship again, having Premier helped as I enjoyed the great onion rings and wings at O’Malley’s DAILY!

Understand when I left ship last May on May 18, they introduce supposedly a ‘test’ program for Late night bites at O’Malley’s with a limited menu from 9-11pm. Your Plus or Premier package will NOT apply during these hours, so everyone is charged. I voiced my displeasure with this program to the HGM as Gigi’s is open till 11pm and they do not charge if dining between 9-11pm. His reply was this is ‘new’, so they will evaluate. I did not see many ordering food at the venue after 9pm.

For your other Casual Dining venue there is Ocean Terrace for sushi.

I found the imitation crab they were using in the sushi, rubbery(not good). Maybe they have gotten a different supplier?

I was allow to make some substitutions for the ‘set’ menu. It normally comes with 4 nigiri pieces which is a protein on a rice ball. I do not care for the Salmon and Tuna, so I asked if I could have all shrimp(Ebi). For the maki ‘roll’, the standard is the Spicy Tuna roll, I was allowed to swap for California roll, which is basically, cucumber, avocado, and imitation crab. Sometimes they would top with some ‘roe’(fish eggs) and sometimes not.

Edited by wallyj
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful input!  I have added these tips to my list from reviews I had read.  

We are pretty much packed and ready to drive down tomorrow.  🙂 

15 hours ago, APDMOM said:

Our Medallion Timeline:

Shipping Confirmation email - 6/20/2024 (There was no tracking information in our email)

In our Florida Mailbox - 7/1/2024

The one thing I wish Princess would do, is ship the medallions out further in advance of the cruise.  Since we will have a land vacation before boarding the Sun Princess, we have to pick ours up at the port.  

Looking forward to your review a a Princess newbie.  I have read a few of your reports on the Royal boards.  I hope to do a live from Sun to do a comparison of their newest ship with others.  But first, Utopia in a couple weeks. 

• Like 2

You picked a great ship for a first Princess cruise! We have been on the Enchanted 3 times in the last 18 months and love that ship! Enjoy!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We did the TA in November from Rome on the Enchanted.  Not only is the Enchanted my favorite ship of all times, but the cruise itself was my favorite cruise of all time!  The ship is beautiful, the food was fantastic (in the MDR as well as specialty dining, both casual and regular specialty dining). Every crew member we encountered was friendly and personable.  The entertainment was excellent (didn't do the shows, but all of the other entertainment).  It was just an outstanding cruise and I can't wait to sail the Enchanted again.  I envy you!

Edited by Sadebud
added content
  • Like 3

We loved Enchanted last fall! One of my favorites, staff was awesome in the dining room once we found a perfect spot! Tip…although you may be aware, love, love, love to eat in main dining room at lunch on boarding so calm and great way to set the tone, nothing wrong with a luncheon soufflé. Also, I have been able to upon asking see menus for the week so I can make reservations for the steakhouse or Italian on the main dining room night or nights that don’t quite make the cut on menu items and do main dining room on the evenings when menu is more appealing!

• Like 3

Our “least” favorite part of the cruise is over… driving down. I am already browsing the app for all the fun activities offered. 🙂 

Thanks for all the tips and positive input!  Looking forward to our adventure and determining whether Princess will be our new go-to cruiseline.  DH already jokingly refers to Princess as his favorite 😂

We love  Enchanted and will be sailing on her again in September up New England Coast.  May be corny, but one thing we like about Princess is catching an episode of the original Love Boat before retiring for the night.  Definitely a departure from “black hole” intellectual tv - but hey you’re on vacation. lol. 

As you explore activities on the app, you can select what you are interested in (as a favorite ) and then you can sort by favorites. It helped us figure out timing.  

The game shows in Princess Live are a lot of fun. Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Familycruzer11 said:

May be corny, but one thing we like about Princess is catching an episode of the original Love Boat before retiring for the night.  Definitely a departure from “black hole” intellectual tv - but hey you’re on vacation. lol. 

😂 I’m adding this to our plans. The last time I watched “The Love Boat” was when it played on South African TV with Afrikaans voices dubbed over.  It was called “Die Plesierboot” which actually translates as “The Pleasure Boat”.  😁 I had to throw in some “not-so-general” knowledge. 

• Haha 4

Following.  I'll be boarding the Enchanted the day you return.  It'll be the 3rd time on the ship this year.  I'm confident you will love it.

I'd appreciate it if you could report back on if you feel there are an inordinate number of kids on the ship.  Just wondering how kid-packed the Wake View aft tiny pool will be...

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Following.  I'll be boarding the Enchanted the day you return.  It'll be the 3rd time on the ship this year.  I'm confident you will love it.

I'd appreciate it if you could report back on if you feel there are an inordinate number of kids on the ship.  Just wondering how kid-packed the Wake View aft tiny pool will be...

Thanks!

Will gladly report back. We are wondering about this too. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2024 at 6:42 PM, APDMOM said:

We have an aft balcony,

In December, we (2 couples) will be on Enchanted (first time) in two aft-facing cabins.  Hubby mentioned  possible soot and fumes.  Unlike you, he is "cup-half empty" - [sigh].  It would be nice to know ahead of time if this might be an issue.  Thank you!!

We are Princess Elite and we were on this same itinerary in April. Enchanted is a great ship. We hire private bird guides in each port, so we are away from the crowds that you can experience in some ports. Costa Maya was a very confusing port. To get out of the terminal area is like a maze. Also, it was quite a walk from the ship to where we met our guide in Roatan as he was not allowed to drive into the port area. 

Enjoy your cruise! We will follow along.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ecs66 said:

In December, we (2 couples) will be on Enchanted (first time) in two aft-facing cabins.  Hubby mentioned  possible soot and fumes.  Unlike you, he is "cup-half empty" - [sigh].  It would be nice to know ahead of time if this might be an issue.  Thank you!!

I will let you know. 🙂

7 hours ago, APDMOM said:

😂 I’m adding this to our plans. The last time I watched “The Love Boat” was when it played on South African TV with Afrikaans voices dubbed over.  It was called “Die Plesierboot” which actually translates as “The Pleasure Boat”.  😁 I had to throw in some “not-so-general” knowledge. 

My last cruise was in February on Emerald Princess.  Love Boat episodes were one of the viewing options on the stateroom TV.  You might have to look for it.

• Like 2