When was your first cruise on Carnival?

Tropicale in 1986. Caribbean.  Skeet shooting and a driving range off the stern

Jubilee 1987 to Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta from Long Beach, CA

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

2009 the OG Celebration.   My sister surprised me and another sister with a cruise.  We went to Nassau and Key West.  I was hooked.  When the hubs asked where we wanted to go for our 30th anniversary I said a cruise.  He was less than enthusiastic.  I told him I was going and he was welcome to join me.  He agreed.  We weren't on board for more than a couple of hours before he started planning our next cruise.  We cruised every year since then except for the shut down.  We just got off our 45th year anniversary cruise.

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Are.we.there.yet? said:

OMG!!!!  My first Carnival cruise was also on the Tropicale in 1986!!!  🙂

Those were the days!

Mine too.  Drinking long islands and playing slots when I was 17.  Those were the days!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

First cruise was on the Holiday in 2006. I was amazed at her size when I first saw her. Needless to say I was shocked when somebody told me she was the smallest in the fleet. I’ve been hooked ever since. 

My first cruise was on the Holiday in 1988. At that time, she was one of the LARGEST in the fleet. My how things change!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, john91498 said:

My first cruise on a Carnival ship was on the Elation in 1999? Geez, seems so long ago...

What was your first ship and when?

Also on Elation in 1998. Only time I have ever cruised the Mexican Riviera. Still have the inaugural season coffee mug

• Like 1

My first Carnival cruise was on the Carnival Splendor, 7 day Mexican Riviera out of Long Beach, CA in May 2019.  When we took the cruise, we wanted to see if we would like the cruise.  It was our intent to book the October 2019 repositioning cruise on the Carnival Splendor, 22 days from Long Beach to Singapore.

About a week before we were booking the repositioning cruise, my brother called me to let me know my nephew was getting married the week of the cruise so we never booked it.

I have not sailed with Carnival again as I wanted to try out five other lines.  Now that that has been done, we will be on the Carnival Magic on an cruise to the ABC islands in April.

• Like 2

Our first Carnival cruise was on the Fascination in 1996. At that time, that ship was the largest cruise ship in the Caribbean. Looks like a tugboat now compared to the Royal Caribbean mega ships😃

4 hours ago, john91498 said:

My first cruise on a Carnival ship was on the Elation in 1999? Geez, seems so long ago...

What was your first ship and when?

That was my very first cruise! Sailed on the Elation 4/25/99 to the Mexican Riviera. 😁

• Like 3

1982 Summer. Festivale. I'm guessing not too many people on this board will have an earlier year than that.

Also while on the Jubilee in summer 1988 my late father interviewed Micky Arison for a story in the Chicago Tribune newspaper. I was in high school and the three of us were just sitting on the pool deck with nothing but swimsuits and sunglasses on while my father asked questions for an hour and took notes. None of the other passengers on the cruise even knew who he was at the time. Pretty surreal experience. He was probably the richest man I ever met personally.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

That was my very first cruise! Sailed on the Elation 4/25/99 to the Mexican Riviera. 😁

Gosh, I think we were on the same cruise!!!! My b-day is on April 22nd and the 25th was a b-day cruise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, john91498 said:

Gosh, I think we were on the same cruise!!!! My b-day is on April 22nd and the 25th was a b-day cruise.

That is wild! My dads birthday was the 22nd of April also.

This was a honeymoon cruise for me.

The only thing that sticks out in my memory about it that you may remember too is debarkation was delayed because someone had a heart attack.

I just remember sitting in the Mikado lounge for what seemed like forever until we could get off the ship.

• Like 1

Elation in 2014 for our 10th wedding anniversary.

Now we are getting ready to celebrate our 20th on the Pride 14 day to Greenland.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

That is wild! My dads birthday was the 22nd of April also.

This was a honeymoon cruise for me.

The only thing that sticks out in my memory about it that you may remember too is debarkation was delayed because someone had a heart attack.

I just remember sitting in the Mikado lounge for what seemed like forever until we could get off the ship.

I believe you're correct. Debarkation was so delayed that they opened up more bars and we started drinking again...lol...

• Haha 2