Might be a rather delicate question

gizmodog

I have never been to Greece, going in October. I have recently been told you cannot flush any toilet paper in their toilets, even in our hotel.

Past Greece cruisers can you confirm this?

10 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

I have never been to Greece, going in October. I have recently been told you cannot flush any toilet paper in their toilets, even in our hotel.

I've read the same thing. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

Depends on the hotel. A newer hotel you might be able to. Older ones the plumbing is too narrow. It’s no problem if you can’t. There is will be a trash can with a lid with a foot pedal. It will be emptied every day. This is possible not only in Greece. I have encountered it in other countries. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In many countries, there is a basket next to the toilet for the toilet paper. While the hotel plumbing could possibly handle the TP, the city pipes can't. When in doubt, throw it out.

• Like 1

You might get better answers if you actually put the subject you are discussing in the title of the thread. We get quite a few clickbait threads and some may avoid threads titled like this. But since you ask, we had no problem using toilet paper and disposing of it in said fixture when we stayed at a hotel in Greece in April.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I stayed in a hotel just outside Athens, where the previous week they had hosted a Heads of European Governments meeting.  I presumed that it was ok to flush the paper, but on my return to the room after dinner, the 'basket' had been placed on the toilet seat as an obvious indication of the required disposal method.  🙄😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, gizmodog said:

When visiting the islands bring TP with you and use the provided wastebasket.

Their septic systems cannot handle the overload from all the tourists.

2 hours ago, gizmodog said:

I tried to edit it but it doesn’t seem to let me

You only have about 15 minutes to edit. I don’t know why you called it a delicate question or even asked it. When you travel internationally you will find all kinds of different plumbing and toilet fixtures. You might have a bidet in your hotel bathroom. Someone I met on a cruise was wondering why the hotel bathroom in her pre cruise hotel had a toilet and urinal. She had no idea it was a bidet. In some countries there are no toilet seats. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gizmodog said:

Hello @gizmodog

To help you out, your inquiry has been moved to the Europe - Mediterranean - Eastern & Western - Greece Ports forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have been there frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you. 

suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Maybe because to me it is a delicate question.i asked it because i was curious if this was in fact true, i knew i could find out on this board. Did not expect to be replied to by someone trying to make me feel like an idiot! I have travelled internationally a lot of years but have never been told not to flush toilet paper.  I have encountered many bidets, I love them but from what I am told Greece does not have bidets. 
 Just find it odd that for such a popular travel spot nobody ever speaks of this.

It bothers me lot, I am wishing I did not have  two days before and two days after in Athens, I’m just  city girl who through out all my travels to Europe have never encountered this before. I’m sure I will survive.

• Like 1

You will definitely survive,  seems strange at first but it’s handled really well.   It may not apply in every hotel, but for most it seems to be the case.  Greece is definitely worth spending time in, but we prefer the islands to Athens.  We’ve spent several months there and would go back in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2

Over the years we have stayed in multiple hotels in Athens (and also the Sofitel at ATH) and never had an issue flushing toilet paper down the commode,  

Hank

• Like 1

Been to Greece over a dozen times staying on Mainland and various islands.  Their sewage system is 2in rather than 4 in pipes and so cannot handle much paper.  signs and trash cans are pretty much always there.  I've always flushed paper in hotels, restaurants, public restrooms, etc. and never clogged the toilet.  Just flush often with very little paper each time.

• Like 1

@gizmodog We found the same to be true in Peru. Mini-sized plastic containers with swinging lids were ubiquitous, even in our hotel room bathroom. At tourist spots, an elderly lady waits vigilantly by the toilets and fish out the used toilet tissue after I completed my business. 

Once again, it's the paperwork that drives you crazy.

• Haha 1

The older parts of Mexico are that way too. Restaurants especially.  

Denver has a lot of Mexican expatriates and so many older family Restaurants have a trash can for toilet paper right in the stalls just because their customers are used to doing it that way. 

We stayed at an Airbnb next to the Acropolis and was able to flush toilet paper down the toilets. We did ask the host, because we did hear about that and wanted to make sure. The only place where we couldn't was a restaurant in Barcelona, but that was the only place out of the 6 countries we visited. 

Toilet culture around the world is actually a very interesting topic!  Yes, not flushing TP is common in many ancient and remote countries, and even rural areas in the United States!  Once you know what is required, I don't feel like it's too much of an inconvenience, all considered.

My favorite toilet experience so far?  Toto bidets!  (not in Japan, but at the Moana Surfrider Hotel in Honolulu 😊)

🚽

Happy travels!

~Nancy

• Like 2

11 hours ago, oakridger said:

Toilet culture around the world is actually a very interesting topic!  Yes, not flushing TP is common in many ancient and remote countries, and even rural areas in the United States!  Once you know what is required, I don't feel like it's too much of an inconvenience, all considered.

My favorite toilet experience so far?  Toto bidets!  (not in Japan, but at the Moana Surfrider Hotel in Honolulu 😊)

🚽

Happy travels!

~Nancy

Exactly! Part of the experience! Travel broadens us, even in unexpected ways! 

IMG_3455.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/13/2024 at 6:03 PM, gizmodog said:

Maybe because to me it is a delicate question.i asked it because i was curious if this was in fact true, i knew i could find out on this board. Did not expect to be replied to by someone trying to make me feel like an idiot! I have travelled internationally a lot of years but have never been told not to flush toilet paper.  I have encountered many bidets, I love them but from what I am told Greece does not have bidets. 
 Just find it odd that for such a popular travel spot nobody ever speaks of this.

It bothers me lot, I am wishing I did not have  two days before and two days after in Athens, I’m just  city girl who through out all my travels to Europe have never encountered this before. I’m sure I will survive.

Ignore the people who feel the need to make negative comments about your question. Your right, that's why this board exists. No question is too trivial.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Last year we stayed at a hotel next to Plaka in Athens.  Yep we had a little bin to put toilet paper in.  Very old building which had been converted to a hotel.

This is common in Asia, especially India.

This thread is a good reminder to take some our stash of Charmin To-Go travel rolls with us on our Med cruise next summer. We bought a case 12 years ago that's turning out to be a lifetime supply (literally!) even though they are a standard part of our travel kit. Fortunately I don't think we'll have to learn the Japanese squat toilet for this trip - I can't imagine trying to teach that one to my 11-year-old!