Refund or voucher for future cruise due to cancellation's of Carnival cruise due to sudden illness

27 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

You mean like the usual headlines about noroviruses on cruise ships?  No regular cruiser cares and no non cruiser is "Woo, there hasn't been a story I saw abut Noroviruses, I should book a cruise".  

Also, national news?  How about a national story about a person who boarded an airplane while contagious?  Neither are national news.  

I’ve read stories before of outbreaks on cruise ships making many people ill!  And yes, it was in the national news.😂

42 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

You did the responsible thing by not boarding. If you had also done the responsible thing and bought the insurance you could have been reimbursed. 😎

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts.  I never thought this would get so many comments.  It’s an interesting discussion, but I don’t think I’ll say anything further, as all has been covered. Happy healthy future cruising to all!

6 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts.  I never thought this would get so many comments.  It’s an interesting discussion, but I don’t think I’ll say anything further, as all has been covered. Happy healthy future cruising to all!

To you as well. :classic_cool:

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

No it’s not a moot point if you want to try to keep people crowded in close confines on a shop from getting sick!  People who know they are sick and contagious should stay away! 😂

And fly like this

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Pyxie said:

Might only be 24%, but that's the largest percentage of any other reason in the list other than "trip cancellation" (which could technically be anything).. 

But my point still stands.

The claim was that trip cancellation due to medical issues was the primary reason.

It's not.

Medical issues not involving trip cancellation are a larger percentage of claims.

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The only "should" here is you should have bought travel insurance.  With your contagious bug, did you remain quarantined for the following 14 days? That virus shreds for up to 14 days. Actually, you chose to board an airplane while you were still contagious. Did you notify everyone and every place you came in contact with the proceeding 48 hours?    

Ummm... That would totally depend on the contagious bug.

You don't even know he had a virus. Could have been bacterial, or fungal, or...

2 hours ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

No it’s not a moot point if you want to try to keep people crowded in close confines on a shop from getting sick!  People who know they are sick and contagious should stay away! 😂

You didn't

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

Ummm... That would totally depend on the contagious bug.

You don't even know he had a virus. Could have been bacterial, or fungal, or...

The OP stated he was contagious

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

I didn’t say fully reimbursed.  A gesture on their part of a voucher of some value towards a future cruise, recognizing I did right thing by not boarding the ship with a contagious virus.

Hopefully you learned an invaluable lesson and will purchase travel insurance in the future. 
Best of luck to you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The OP stated he was contagious

Yes, and without knowing what he had... He has no idea at all if that is true.

...and even if he was right, you'd still almost certainly be wrong about contagious for 14 days.

Edited by aborgman
  • Like 1

Op, the message is that the way to cover for this in the future is travel insurance,  It is is low cost and there are many options (cruise line or external) that can cover you for exactly the scenario that happened to you (some include all costs to get you to the cruise ships as well).  While it is an expensive lesson to learn, hopefully it will protect you and whomever you cruise with in the future.   Enjoy your future cruises.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

If you have vomiting and fever and chills and and diagnosed with a virus at urgent care, you can be almost certain you are contagious!!😂

You'd think that - but it isn't inherently true.

1) If they didn't test for what it is - they can't diagnose it as a virus. They're just guessing based on statistics. Could be viral, bacterial, fungal, a toxin...

2) Some viruses are contagious BEFORE you show symptoms and are not contagious once you are showing symptoms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

If you have vomiting and fever and chills and and diagnosed with a virus at urgent care, you can be almost certain you are contagious!!😂

What did the test result say you had?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, aborgman said:

You'd think that - but it isn't inherently true.

1) If they didn't test for what it is - they can't diagnose it as a virus. They're just guessing based on statistics. Could be viral, bacterial, fungal, a toxin...

2) Some viruses are contagious BEFORE you show symptoms and are not contagious once you are showing symptoms.

They made a clinical diagnosis based on the facts and examination !  It was not a “guess”! 😂   This scenario 99% of time will be a virus!!! (It certainly was not a fungus….that’s just silly!)

Your implying that news about viruses would affect the cruise lines was the moot point as it sure hasn't stopped folks from cruising, but apparently you didn't understand that. Also, refer post #52, sentence 3.😁

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

They made a clinical diagnosis based on the facts and examination !  It was not a “guess”! 😂   This scenario 99% of time will be a virus!!! (It certainly was not a fungus….that’s just silly!)

Without testing - it's a statistical guess, and nowhere near 99% of the time would be a virus.

The numbers for gastroenteritis are roughly:

70% - viral

18% - bacterial

12% - parasitic

Edited by aborgman
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

So you avoided the cruise expecting to be reimbursed but then got on a crowded plane in much closer confinement with unsuspecting passengers. Only “responsible” when you expected compensation.

48 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

Viral illness 

Viral illness is not a test result, just an educated guess. I worked in a virus lab for many years and most swabs came in for virus testing only, not bacterial. We routinely passed them along to the bact lab after testing. Way,way more than 1% of them tested negative for virus and positive for bacteria. That changes the treatment. Viruses all have names and are reported as such if tested.

43 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

Where did you get the facts to support the 99% figure? That would mean studies were done and reported, not just an urgent care gut feeling.

• Like 6

Just now, aborgman said:

It's a statistical guess, and nowhere near 99% of the time be a virus.

The numbers for gastroenteritis are roughly:

70% - viral

18% - bacterial

12% - parasitic

Yes if you only consider gastroenteritis without any other factors. But after considering my particular situation, symptoms, examination, etc one can be almost certain was a virus!!

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, aborgman said:

The claim was that trip cancellation due to medical issues was the primary reason.

It's not.

Medical issues not involving trip cancellation are a larger percentage of claims.

I never actually said it was the largest reason. I said people largely purchase it because of this (and I do know from experience being a TA). Especially after the pandemic, people are more concerned with illness disrupting their travel plans.

But this side discussion really doesn't change things for the OP anyway, so its kind of unnecessary at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

I never actually said it was the largest reason.

On 7/16/2024 at 4:23 PM, Pyxie said:

This is the primary reason it is offered.

Primary: first in importance, degree, rank, etc.

3 hours ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

Yes if you only consider gastroenteritis without any other factors. But after considering my particular situation, symptoms, examination, etc one can be almost certain was a virus!!

Thus the need for you to remain quarantined   

• Like 1

Does Carnival still have the health questionnaire?  If you answer it honestly that you have symptoms and they deny you boarding, then they probably reimburse you the cruise costs (not any of the other costs that your have like flights or hotels).  At least that was how it worked years ago.  It would be up to their med staff's decision.

12 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Does Carnival still have the health questionnaire?  If you answer it honestly that you have symptoms and they deny you boarding, then they probably reimburse you the cruise costs (not any of the other costs that your have like flights or hotels).  At least that was how it worked years ago.  It would be up to their med staff's decision.

It went away around the time they stopped requiring proof of vax.

• Like 1