Refund or voucher for future cruise due to cancellation's of Carnival cruise due to sudden illness

37 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Does Carnival still have the health questionnaire?  If you answer it honestly that you have symptoms and they deny you boarding, then they probably reimburse you the cruise costs (not any of the other costs that your have like flights or hotels).  At least that was how it worked years ago.  It would be up to their med staff's decision.

Thankfully for everyones sake that ship has sailed.

• Like 2

Well, the questionnaire was not aimed at Covid originally.  Any contagious condition, I think flu (maybe Bird Flu) and noro.  Wonder if the cruise lines bring it back based on whatever disease is happening at the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Well, the questionnaire was not aimed at Covid originally.  Any contagious condition, I think flu (maybe Bird Flu) and noro.  Wonder if the cruise lines bring it back based on whatever disease is happening at the time.

It certainly added to the embarkation process….

4 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

The health questionnaire was just to cover their behinds.

I’m sure there are many that arrived for the cruise and wasn’t feeling 100%, they’re not going to say anything for fear of being denied boarding. 
If anyone is really that sick, they’re not going to show up for the cruise.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ChutChut said:

OP - I think you're SOL unless you have some type of travel insurance. You say you were diagnosed with a "viral illness." Probably a bad cold. Your arguments re: the service you did for others by not boarding aren't persuasive. At the end of the day, you chose to take a risk and not buy insurance - you lost (unless you paid with a credit card that provides coverage for documented illness). 

A “bad cold” does not cause sudden onset of vomiting and fever and chills!  I was diagnosed at urgent care with a viral gastroenteritis that was most certainly contagious. 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

A “bad cold” does not cause sudden onset of vomiting and fever and chills!  I was diagnosed at urgent care with a viral gastroenteritis that was most certainly contagious. 😂

I think the posters comment was you might have coverage on your credit card if that is how you booked.  Some CC cover trips booked thru them with (included) travel insurance coverage

18 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

As the consumer, what did YOU do to protect your investment in the event you could not sail. Forget about what you think the cruise line should do for a moment.  

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

Good news is that stomach bugs usually are a lot shorter than colds.

On 7/17/2024 at 1:22 PM, Upset Carnival Customer said:

This is main reason I think Carnival should at least give me a voucher of some description to use on future cruise.  I bet many people in my situation would have gotten on the cruise anyway, thinking’s they would be better in few days, but then possibly making many other passengers sick.  With fever, I knew I had a contagious GI bug, and did not want to spread it.  This should be worth something.

I take this to read as - We should all be rewarded for not doing things we know we shouldn't do.

That isn't reality.

Just now, Pyrate13 said:

I thought someone said they were done with this thread and weren't going to post anymore???🙄

I’m not posting any more about the original situation, but just correcting silly comments people keep making that are just plain wrong.  You are welcome to stop looking! 😂

On 7/17/2024 at 5:36 PM, Upset Carnival Customer said:

It’s an interesting discussion, but I don’t think I’ll say anything further, as all has been covered.  

Right.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

OP...this is a lesson learned and file it under the title "natural consequences".  For many cruisers it takes a this type of situation to actually figure out that cruise/travel insurance is like having any other insurance.  You hope like heck you never need to use it BUT if the circumstance arises, you can get most of or all of your investment back. You do not need to be elderly or have an ongoing illness to get it, it benefits everyone, at any age.  Our insurance even covers driving to the port for the cruise in case something happens on the way.   

Take it for what it is and apply it to your future travel needs, its just part of the overall cruise cost.  If you need more information just search this forum over the years to read the endless situations posted regarding cruisers that did not have travel insurance and were blindsided by the need.  FYI...I would definitely take the advice of checking your credit card used for the cruise (if any) to see if you may be covered under the card insurance (if any).  

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 5