**Live from the NCL Encore** July 21-28, 2024: Alaskan Cruise Itinerary

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from FamilyAtSea.travel! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

FamilyAtSea.travel was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Good morning y'all!

We leave Friday to head to Seattle for our first Alaskan cruise (and first Norwegian cruise!) so I'm just getting the thread started as it's easier on my laptop to start things than from my phone while we're traveling.

Live threads seem less popular on the NCL board for whatever reason but hopefully I can share some things you guys will get value from as I share our experience on the Encore.

The itinerary is as follows:

• Sunday, July 21 - Embarkation
  • Monday, July 22 - At Sea
  • Tuesday, July 23 - Juneau, Alaska (weather permitting, we will be taking a helicopter ride to a glacier and then dogsledding)
  • Wednesday, July 24 - Skagway, Alaska (we've rented a car and will be driving up the Klondike Hwy with a lot of stops along the way)
  • Thursday, July 25 - Sailing through Glacier Bay
  • Friday, July 26 - Ketchikan, Alaska (this is a super short port call but we'll be doing a flightseeing tour on a seaplane to a fjord)
  • Saturday, July 27 - Victoria, Canada (again, super short port call...may or may not get off the ship here)
  • Sunday, July 28 - Debarkation

If there's anything you guys would like to ensure I cover or questions I ask while onboard, let me know!

1000x667-Encore-Alaska-cruise.webp.9741c5442f78f0558fca7b91e541f455.webp

Edited by FamilyAtSea.travel
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Live threads seem less popular on the NCL board for whatever reason but hopefully I can share some things you guys will get value from as I share our experience on the Encore.

There are too many cranky whiners on the NCL board that only carry about semantics and arguing. Trust me, there are a few of us that absolutely thrive off live reviews. 

I, for one, am most appreciate that you'll be live'ing the place up for a week! Can't wait to hear all about your experiences - wishing you fair seas and gorgeous mountain views. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

There are too many cranky whiners on the NCL board that only carry about semantics and arguing. Trust me, there are a few of us that absolutely thrive off live reviews. 

I, for one, am most appreciate that you'll be live'ing the place up for a week! Can't wait to hear all about your experiences - wishing you fair seas and gorgeous mountain views. 

I wasn't sure whether I should like, thank, or laugh at this reply!

At least I know I'll be writing for an audience of one at a minimum 🤪

We're looking forward to the cruise and hopefully many great experiences that I can share with you guys on here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, seemoreroyals said:

We will be on the Encore for the first time in December and are also looking forward to your review of the ship.   Hope you have  great time.   

Thank you, that's truly appreciated!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

As a frequent live poster, I appreciate the effort you are going through to do this post. Thank you very much. We will be reading along since we’ll be on the Encore in a few weeks. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

We will be on the Encore for the first time in December and are also looking forward to your review of the ship.   Hope you have  great time.   

Sorry had a senior moment.  Actually going on Escape in December.  Waiting patiently for a good live trip report to come along featuring the Escape.  Still cheers to you to having a great trip.  

Edited by seemoreroyals
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

Sorry had a senior moment.  Actually going on Escape in December.  Waiting patiently for a good live trip report to come along featuring the Escape.  Still cheers to you to having a great trip.  

I've had more of those than I care to admit and I'm barely 40!

Enjoy the Escape!

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 10:00 AM, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Good morning y'all!

We leave Friday to head to Seattle for our first Alaskan cruise (and first Norwegian cruise!) so I'm just getting the thread started as it's easier on my laptop to start things than from my phone while we're traveling.

The itinerary is as follows:

• Sunday, July 21 - Embarkation
  • Monday, July 22 - At Sea
  • Tuesday, July 23 - Juneau, Alaska (weather permitting, we will be taking a helicopter ride to a glacier and then dogsledding)
  • Wednesday, July 24 - Skagway, Alaska (we've rented a car and will be driving up the Klondike Hwy with a lot of stops along the way)
  • Thursday, July 25 - Sailing through Glacier Bay
  • Friday, July 26 - Ketchikan, Alaska (this is a super short port call but we'll be doing a flightseeing tour on a seaplane to a fjord)
  • Saturday, July 27 - Victoria, Canada (again, super short port call...may or may not get off the ship here)
  • Sunday, July 28 - Debarkation

If there's anything you guys would like to ensure I cover or questions I ask while onboard, let me know!

I will also be happily following along as we are on the Encore next June.

Question already:    Did you book a private excursion in Juneau or take the NCL excursion for the helicopter/dog sledding adventure?    

On 7/17/2024 at 9:00 AM, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Thanks for this and looking forward to reading your review; we'll be sailing at the end of September/October and I'm in info gathering mode/

Since you asked....

Can you find out where the cruise docks in Ketchikan and what the options are for public transit?  (I've read a lot and some conflicting information, but we are hoping to get off, grab a bus see the totems, hit the creek street historic district in lieu of an excursion)

Can you find out if the bars have Chai Tea Latte?  

What night is formal night?  

Does on require reservations in advance to do the go cart/race track (same with the laser tag)

Have a wonderful trip and bon voyage!

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

I will also be happily following along as we are on the Encore next June.

Question already:    Did you book a private excursion in Juneau or take the NCL excursion for the helicopter/dog sledding adventure?    

We pretty much always do 3rd party excursions. Less about the price ($3k for a family of 4 isn't cheap, whether through NCL or direct), but because you generally have a much better experience.

In this case - we booked directly through Coastal Helicopters as I did extensive research and they seemed to be the consensus best option.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, KittyCruz said:

Thanks for this and looking forward to reading your review; we'll be sailing at the end of September/October and I'm in info gathering mode/

Since you asked....

Can you find out where the cruise docks in Ketchikan and what the options are for public transit?  (I've read a lot and some conflicting information, but we are hoping to get off, grab a bus see the totems, hit the creek street historic district in lieu of an excursion)

Does on require reservations in advance to do the go cart/race track (same with the laser tag)

Got it - I'll see what I can do to get you some answers!

I can answer a couple of these for you on already based on my research:

• Ketchikan:
    • The Encore docks at Ward Cove which is roughly 7 miles from the town.
    • The last shuttle back leaves at 11am but All Aboard isn't until 12:45pm (so we'll likely grab an Uber vs. waiting in long lines for the shuttle...taxis are also an option).

• Formal Night: Surprisingly, there doesn't appear to be a formal night on the Encore. The theme nights are Glow, 80s, and Latin Night. Their branding is "Free at Sea" so I guess having a formal night doesn't fit into their vibe. 

I'll get you answers about Chai Tea Latte + Cart/Laser Tag reservations!

Edited by FamilyAtSea.travel
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KittyCruz said:

Since you asked....

NCL docks at Ward Cove in Ketchikan, which is about 7 miles from town where the other cruise lines dock. They run a shuttle to town. Public transportation there is minimal. The local bus is the Silver Line and runs once an hour. 

Kgbak.us is the link. 

Bottom line is that Ward Cove is relatively isolated, and is a place where you want to leave plenty of time to get back to the ship..(find the thread about the 9 stranded passengers for a point of reference).

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KittyCruz said:

This is easy. No night is formal night on any NCL ship. 

You are, however, free to dress up how you want, when you want. Some people do it for photos.

16 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

We pretty much always do 3rd party excursions. Less about the price ($3k for a family of 4 isn't cheap, whether through NCL or direct), but because you generally have a much better experience.

In this case - we booked directly through Coastal Helicopters as I did extensive research and they seemed to be the consensus best option.

Thank you.    I have looked at Coastal Helicopters too as an option and will most likely book through them if we decide on this type of excursion as my family is going back and forth on doing it.  

Wishing you a safe travel today.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KittyCruz said:

On the Encore this past February and recently on the Joy, they did not take reservations beforehand.    My family just showed up when they wanted to do the speedway.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are going in September and I had originally looked to book a private seaplane in Ketchikan but changed my mind when I realized the meeting spot was in town an hour after docking.  I didn’t think I could guarantee that we would make it.  Interesting to hear that your plan is an Uber.  Do you have any reliable information that there are sufficient Ubers available at that port?  I didn’t want to count on that either.  However, I do realize the recent stranded passengers were on an NCL excursion so that wasn’t foolproof either.