Meraviglia-August 4-11 2024-I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Bubsmoljo

My family and I (me, hubs, 16 & 14yo sons) are going on our first cruise EVER.  I know to go into an MSC cruise with no expectations as reviews are all over the map.  We have an Aurea Balcony room (10135)  I have some questions, that in my OCD research/planning, I have been unable to get an answer to.  I appreciate any insight and thank you for assuaging my anxiety LOL.

1) I read somewhere that with Aurea you automatically get a cruise card AND a bracelet-is this true?  I don't like things hanging around my neck so was going to get those telephone cord looking things from Amazon that you wear on your wrist-Can I do this or will I need to use a lanyard?

2) I am Gluten Free (I have submitted the special needs form but gotten no response)  should I be concerned or will it not be an issue and I should just talk to someone the first day?  

3) I also can't eat cow's milk dairy-I have read there is only Soy available as an option?  Can I bring my own sealed container of Oat Milk?  I did ask this in the special needs email I sent, but again-no answer.  Maybe someone knows?

4) can I order gluten free items via room service for breakfast?  Does anyone know if they have gluten free pizza crust?

5) I have read in multiple places that the MSC app messenger feature is only for 16 and over?!?  Does this mean I can't keep in touch with my 14yo??  Granted he will be with his brother most times, but really?  Will I have to buy him the wi-fi package?  I have read also that iphone to iphone messaging still works anyway-regardless of whether you have a wifi package or not? Is this true?

6) I have seen many posts about the rooms being hot because your key card has to be in the room slot for the AC to work?  I have seen on Etsy room "key" cards to leave in the slot?  Any insight on this?

7) Are nice men's shorts allowed in the MDR?  My husband usually wears linen shorts/button downs but I've read shorts aren't allowed...

Hiding/finding ducks: is this a thing on MSC? is it worth doing or don't spend the money buying ducks?

9) What is the quietest/nicest morning view (if I can't get my coffee via roomservice) for my hubs and I to have coffee together-we aren't SUPER early risers but def. around 7-8. Can you get breakfast only via roomservice or the buffet?

10) What Restaurant are you assigned to with Aurea (anytime dining) or does that change daily?  I have also read that with the anytime dining you still need to make a "reservation" and not just "show up" in the 6-9 timeframe?

11) how does the Photo package work?  I'm used to Disney memory maker where you take a picture anywhere there's a photographer & you scan your card and go?  Is this photo package similar?  Not sure if it's worth purchasing or not?

12) I know that you can't bring your own water or alcohol onboard.  Can I bring candy & snacks?  If I want water do I have to go to a bar or the buffet or are there water stations around?  Sorry this may sound stupid, but I"m the person that carries a cup/water bottle everywhere and just want to know what to expect.  Ice machines?

13) On Nassau-it makes me anxious to read all the reviews about walking off the ship and ppl coming at you-is it safe to do our own "walking tour" any must do's or recommendations from previous visitors?

I think that's all (and quite enough 😅 lol)-I so very much appreciate any insight/tips/tricks/hacks that anyone can offer!  Cheers Stacy

55 minutes ago, Bubsmoljo said:

My family and I (me, hubs, 16 & 14yo sons) are going on our first cruise EVER.  I know to go into an MSC cruise with no expectations as reviews are all over the map.  We have an Aurea Balcony room (10135)  I have some questions, that in my OCD research/planning, I have been unable to get an answer to.  I appreciate any insight and thank you for assuaging my anxiety LOL.

1) I read somewhere that with Aurea you automatically get a cruise card AND a bracelet-is this true?  I don't like things hanging around my neck so was going to get those telephone cord looking things from Amazon that you wear on your wrist-Can I do this or will I need to use a lanyard?

2) I am Gluten Free (I have submitted the special needs form but gotten no response)  should I be concerned or will it not be an issue and I should just talk to someone the first day?  

3) I also can't eat cow's milk dairy-I have read there is only Soy available as an option?  Can I bring my own sealed container of Oat Milk?  I did ask this in the special needs email I sent, but again-no answer.  Maybe someone knows?

4) can I order gluten free items via room service for breakfast?  Does anyone know if they have gluten free pizza crust?

5) I have read in multiple places that the MSC app messenger feature is only for 16 and over?!?  Does this mean I can't keep in touch with my 14yo??  Granted he will be with his brother most times, but really?  Will I have to buy him the wi-fi package?  I have read also that iphone to iphone messaging still works anyway-regardless of whether you have a wifi package or not? Is this true?

6) I have seen many posts about the rooms being hot because your key card has to be in the room slot for the AC to work?  I have seen on Etsy room "key" cards to leave in the slot?  Any insight on this?

7) Are nice men's shorts allowed in the MDR?  My husband usually wears linen shorts/button downs but I've read shorts aren't allowed...

Hiding/finding ducks: is this a thing on MSC? is it worth doing or don't spend the money buying ducks?

9) What is the quietest/nicest morning view (if I can't get my coffee via roomservice) for my hubs and I to have coffee together-we aren't SUPER early risers but def. around 7-8. Can you get breakfast only via roomservice or the buffet?

10) What Restaurant are you assigned to with Aurea (anytime dining) or does that change daily?  I have also read that with the anytime dining you still need to make a "reservation" and not just "show up" in the 6-9 timeframe?

11) how does the Photo package work?  I'm used to Disney memory maker where you take a picture anywhere there's a photographer & you scan your card and go?  Is this photo package similar?  Not sure if it's worth purchasing or not?

12) I know that you can't bring your own water or alcohol onboard.  Can I bring candy & snacks?  If I want water do I have to go to a bar or the buffet or are there water stations around?  Sorry this may sound stupid, but I"m the person that carries a cup/water bottle everywhere and just want to know what to expect.  Ice machines?

13) On Nassau-it makes me anxious to read all the reviews about walking off the ship and ppl coming at you-is it safe to do our own "walking tour" any must do's or recommendations from previous visitors?

I think that's all (and quite enough 😅 lol)-I so very much appreciate any insight/tips/tricks/hacks that anyone can offer!  Cheers Stacy

1- we did Aurea in February and DH bought a bracelet to replace the card in photo area. It was only $10 and he liked the convenience. We were not given any other bracelet thingy.

2-while we do not have allergies we were asked prior to every meal if we had allergies.

10- we were assigned a restaurant (forget the name) and were able to go any time during that time period mentioned. 

13- Nassau is not very safe right now and there is a travel warning. I would not go wandering on my own these days as we have in the past. If you do an excursion with the cruise ship you should be fine. If you haven’t been to Atlantis, your sons will love it. We love it and we are not kids! We are going there in September and won’t leave the resort.

i hope you have a fun time on the cruise. 😊

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bubsmoljo said:

I am also GF. When I submit the special needs form, I always get a reply (though it is more of a standard reply than a personalized one). I suggest you resubmit it as soon as possible. I believe they request to receive it 60 days in advance of your sail date so better to send it in now vs. waiting.  This gives them an idea of how many GF people will be on board and need various GF foods.

We always sail in Yacht Club so we've never used room service for breakfast. They do always offer me GF bread at breakfast in our YC restaurant, though I don't know if that would still be available to you for room service.

GF pizza crust is available fleet-wide. I've been on sailings where they don't have any available when I've asked. I would think that making sure to submit the special needs form improves the chances that they'll have it. When they didn't have it, I was able to easily remove the toppings from our room service pizza and eat it with absolutely no adverse reactions. We've never used the buffet, so I can't say if that would work there as well. I will tell you that I thought the GF pizza crust was one of the best I've ever had -- so good that I asked them to save the edges of my crust for dinner instead of the GF bread they regularly offer me. Yes, they thought I was nuts. Yes, I was so happy I did not care. 🙂

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, pamelanj said:

1- we did Aurea in February and DH bought a bracelet to replace the card in photo area. It was only $10 and he liked the convenience. We were not given any other bracelet thingy.

2-while we do not have allergies we were asked prior to every meal if we had allergies.

10- we were assigned a restaurant (forget the name) and were able to go any time during that time period mentioned. 

13- Nassau is not very safe right now and there is a travel warning. I would not go wandering on my own these days as we have in the past. If you do an excursion with the cruise ship you should be fine. If you haven’t been to Atlantis, your sons will love it. We love it and we are not kids! We are going there in September and won’t leave the resort.

i hope you have a fun time on the cruise. 😊

OMG I didn't realize that about Nassau... definitely going to look into a guided excursion now!

12 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

I am also GF. When I submit the special needs form, I always get a reply (though it is more of a standard reply than a personalized one). I suggest you resubmit it as soon as possible. I believe they request to receive it 60 days in advance of your sail date so better to send it in now vs. waiting.  This gives them an idea of how many GF people will be on board and need various GF foods.

We always sail in Yacht Club so we've never used room service for breakfast. They do always offer me GF bread at breakfast in our YC restaurant, though I don't know if that would still be available to you for room service.

GF pizza crust is available fleet-wide. I've been on sailings where they don't have any available when I've asked. I would think that making sure to submit the special needs form improves the chances that they'll have it. When they didn't have it, I was able to easily remove the toppings from our room service pizza and eat it with absolutely no adverse reactions. We've never used the buffet, so I can't say if that would work there as well. I will tell you that I thought the GF pizza crust was one of the best I've ever had -- so good that I asked them to save the edges of my crust for dinner instead of the GF bread they regularly offer me. Yes, they thought I was nuts. Yes, I was so happy I did not care. 🙂

YAY!!! The GF pizza makes me SO excited!  Thank you-yes I did submit it back in early April and got the canned response-I "forwarded" the canned response at the end of May and said "just double checking" and got no response so I hope the request is in fact on my account-I wish they would note little things like that on your "my cruise" area.  I'm hoping I can order GF toast via room service-I'm not much of anything in the morning so going to a buffet for breakfast is 👎  Now if I could just find out about DF milk options....

Posted (edited)

You want to mention that you are GF at every interaction that involves food just to be extra careful.

The toast might be problematic. They are super careful and putting GF bread into a regular toaster may not be something they will do. Even in YC, where the kitchen is much smaller, I have been told 'no' to toast. Sometimes, I've asked them to just put it on the grill and I've had success with that suggestion. They really want to prevent have cross-contamination -- which you and I both know is a great thing!

PS: The MDR should be open for breakfast. And on sea days, I've heard that there is now a "brunch" in the MDR that runs to the afternoon. You might have better luck with toast in the MDR.

Edited by Best Cat Mom
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

You will always be in the Panorama MDR for your Anytime Dining. Also you can ask your attendant for a blank card, they always have plenty. 

Edited by Fissues
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2024 at 2:25 PM, cellfree said:

#6 You can put any card in room

slot, we currently have a misc card in ours.

#7 Men can definitely wear shorts in DR any time. 

what about jeans?

TIA

We are sailing in October, Some additional questions:

1-Can you buy a one day Spa Pass and what does it cost?

2- Does the Classic Drink package include milkshakes?

3- Can you bring drinks into the theater shows?

4-What is the least crowded time to go to the Buffet for meals?

Thanks

On 7/18/2024 at 3:38 PM, Bubsmoljo said:

OMG I didn't realize that about Nassau... definitely going to look into a guided excursion now!

Don’t let others scare you about Nassau. Been there 3 times from April to June. Went on our own each time. Took taxis to Cable Beach and walked to Junkanoo beach. That’s about 15 minutes. Just be aware of your surroundings like you would in any strange city and stay on the beaten path. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, amberjohn said:

We are sailing in October, Some additional questions:

1-Can you buy a one day Spa Pass and what does it cost?

2- Does the Classic Drink package include milkshakes?

3- Can you bring drinks into the theater shows?

4-What is the least crowded time to go to the Buffet for meals?

Thanks

1. You can buy a one day pass (at least you could at one time) but i do not know cost. There may be some areas of the Spa you can access without a pass, each ship varies a little from what I can tell. 
2. Milkshakes - I do not recall anywhere on ship they made shakes - some ships have a “juice” bar outside of gym/spa that makes fruit drinks/protein drinks that are included in beverage package - many are not aware of that bar - it is great - i think least used. Is there still a Classic Drink Package?
3. MSC does not serve beverages in Main Theatres and requests that they are not taken into shows however many people “cannot read” and even if they can “do not follow instructions.”

4. Buffet quiet times - depends on the schedule for the day. If lunch is offered in Main Dining Room on embarkation day that is best option for that day (it was on Magnifica two weeks ago.)

Edited by cellfree
  • Like 1

our last trip in YC we put the card in the room slot the wrong way and the things didnt turn on. and ive read they have to be your MSC card and not a generic credit card.

shorts can be worn anywhere, i did even in YC restaurant.

for a first timer you have to get off at nassau and experience it for sure to decide. I can only relate my first hand experiences.  there is a new section at the port that has some shops and is worth a look around.

once out of the port, there are narrow sidewalks, crowds and traffic all in a tiny space. I pity anyone with a stroller or wheelchair as the sidewalks are very irregular. there are many little alleys with tourist shops selling trinkets, clothing, smoking accessories, posters, etc etc. the straw market is a few blocks away. if you like to heavily socialize and love to haggle with used car dealers, you MUST go there. every single person become an aggressive salesman and will follow you down the aisle you they rent and try to coerce you into buying things. this must work because everyone does it. however where i live, we have markets like this and people just sit behind their  table and they get plenty of sales. wish they would learn this. i find it offputting.  i wouldnt buy there on principle.

even on the other streets there are merchants that will follow you. one woman tracked me down for half a block constantly asking if i wanted tshirts, this or that etc.  i wouldnt say it's scary but im really not used to people being so aggressive and being followed. so in a way, it is. only other time this happened to me somewhere else was in cancun where a guy put his arm around me and tried to force me to look at his display of things. total whackjob people out there!  forcing people does not make a sale.  idiots!

you can walk a bit and get to a pirate museum which is a decent place to spend some time in a cooler venue and learn about pirates. there's also a mcdonalds if you crave that food. when you get to the street with the fancier shops, thankfully they are not aggressive but will maybe have someone outside handing out coupons. once inside they are never aggressive. they are totally cool people. they know if you want to buy something, you will! it's like they are from another planet than the other people.

One time i tried to walk to the  queens staircase but got about 3/4 there and just had an uneasy vibe an turned around. it was broad daylight and nothing obviously wrong but it just felt weird. i later learned there was another way to get there and realize i probably should have taken it. 

since ive never been more than a few blocks from the ship. id recommend a first timer do that and try to find other things to do. maybe there are less aggressive people away from the port.

best salesman story is when i took my blind friend and her kids to nassau one time. we were walking down the street and some woman basically threw a tshirt in front of my friend and asked if she liked it. obviously she didnt see the white cane or sunglasses but my friend said im sure it's nice but i'm blind and cant see it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

12. You can bring your own snacks and candy as long as they are factory sealed.  I am not a water bottle carrier. There are water stations and ice in the Marketplace buffet which also includes a few juices and iced tea. Just be patient with the water bottle carriers who will be in front of you filling up their 40 ounce water bottles while you are just wanting a little cup of water 😇

Edited by noshoobie
  • Thanks 1

Just booked this last week and it’s my third time on MSC.  It looks like most of your questions have been answered.

Photo package..just give cabin number I believe to photographer.  I had friends do the package and they thought it was a good value.  They stopped for lots of photos though.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

You made a great choice going with the MSC Maraviglia. I cruised her in 2021. My take:

1. The ship is gorgeous

2. Regarding the AC I can be a "Karen" if I have a hot cabin. My cruise was in the Caribbean out of Miami in September of 2021. My cabin cooled down pretty quick. I tried using a CC in the slot but it didn't take. However, I have a key card from I believe that cruise and you know who will try it on the Seascape coming soon. I rate MSC standard (buffet/MDR) food very good to excellent. Breads are freshly baked! There is an excellent omelet station, and I believe you can still get one customed made. Carnival has limited the choices for omelets. MSC Pizza a hit IMOP. Ironically, their garlic bread was a miss and the meatball sub in the MDR I'd pass. I'm not sure on the gluten and milk issues. Be advised if in the buffet the ingredients listings are a very small font. I wear peepers' readers and have trouble reading the ingredient cards.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 3:59 PM, Captain Zippyjet said:

You made a great choice going with the MSC Maraviglia. I cruised her in 2021. My take:

1. The ship is gorgeous

2. Regarding the AC I can be a "Karen" if I have a hot cabin. My cruise was in the Caribbean out of Miami in September of 2021. My cabin cooled down pretty quick. I tried using a CC in the slot but it didn't take. However, I have a key card from I believe that cruise and you know who will try it on the Seascape coming soon. I rate MSC standard (buffet/MDR) food very good to excellent. Breads are freshly baked! There is an excellent omelet station, and I believe you can still get one customed made. Carnival has limited the choices for omelets. MSC Pizza a hit IMOP. Ironically, their garlic bread was a miss and the meatball sub in the MDR I'd pass. I'm not sure on the gluten and milk issues. Be advised if in the buffet the ingredients listings are a very small font. I wear peepers' readers and have trouble reading the ingredient cards.

We have used our keycards from previous MSC cruises to keep our cabin power on.  Worked every time we tried.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The card in the slot on the Meraviglia has to have a chip in it. The slot does not read the chip, just looks for the presence of a chip, that is why a library or some other card won't  work. A pervious sailing card will work. 

39 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Would a hotel keycard work?  

IT DIDN'T WE USED ONE OF THE KIDS WHILE WE WERE OUT, BUT I DID LEARN THE AC DOES STAY ON WHEN NO CARD IS IN THE SLOT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Would a hotel keycard work?  

No, most hotels do not have a chip, very inexpensive cards.

AC/the chiller (refrigerator that isn't), TV outlet and the light by the door will have power without a card in the slot. 

It depends on how ‘smart’ the ship system is.  On Divina, any card would work.  Also true on Magnifica.  On Seaside and Seashore only a card from that ship would work.  You could get a blank card from guest services to leave in the slot.  My Divina cards did not work.  My problem on Seashore was that the a/c worked without a card, but it defaulted to the coldest setting without a card.  I prefer warmer than 66.  So they told me to get a blank card.  Also interesting was on Seaside in 2019 I ran around the last day taking cabin photos and my cabin card worked to turn on lights in empty cabins…necessary for inside cabins.  EM

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

On Seaside and Seashore only a card from that ship would work.

IT DIDN'T WE USED ONE OF THE KIDS WHILE WE WERE OUT, BUT I DID LEARN THE AC DOES STAY ON WHEN NO CARD IS IN THE SLOT.

34 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

No, most hotels do not have a chip, very inexpensive cards.

AC/the chiller (refrigerator that isn't), TV outlet and the light by the door will have power without a card in the slot. 

Thanks everyone .. 

We'll be on Seaside.  I'll ask the YC Concierge for a blank card.  Normally, I would just use my DW's card but she'll need that for onboard purchases and going ashore and getting back on board.  We want to keep the electrical outlets active, not necessarily the lights so our electronic devices we do not have with us can recharge.