Two Penguins in Bikinis -- Sister Cruise on the Carnival Magic! Aug 10-17, 2025

Prologue: Pre-Trip Report

Part I: Introductions, Background, and Plans, Oh My!

Hello and salutations, Cruise Critic Boards! This is my first trip report here, about my first cruise!

To introduce myself, I'm Teviya, a 30-something Office Manager who is SO STOKED to be going on this trip.

My partner in cruising, crime, and other shenanigans is my 20-something sister Leah!

This trip came about because our parents go on a lot of cruises, and they're currently gearing up for their latest one. Leah got jealous and started poking around. She asked if I was interested in going with her if she found something, and I said of course, and we are now booked for an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Magic for next summer!

This is the first cruise I'll be planning and paying for by myself (mostly-- Leah and I are going halves on pricing), and I'm a planner like nobody's business, so I figured I'd not only try to do a trip report, but also document all of my planning and preparation as well. I have an eight page Excel workbook all about my plans and budget and what I need to buy beforehand, so I have plenty of stuff to share!

And so

The Plan

Day 0 - Travel to Miami

Leah lives in Florida, but I live in Virginia, which means that she has a 6-ish hour drive and I need to fly in from my local airport. We were told in no uncertain terms by cruise veteran Momma Penguin that we should absolutely arrive in the city the day before the cruise leaves and spend the night, which is what we will be doing. We haven't had the "Where are we staying?" and "Where are we eating?" conversations yet, but we'll get there. Leah will pick me up from the airport, so that's something else to coordinate, but it probably means that I'll be getting a late morning or early afternoon flight to give her time to make the drive.

Day 1 - Embarkation Day!

We'll board the ship at some point before baggage check closes-- we chatted very briefly with Momma and Poppa Penguin about possibly doing Faster to the Fun, but we haven't had the serious conversation about it yet. Definitely doing the Sailaway Party (probably while wearing earplugs), and we've got Your Time dining, so we'll figure out dinner when we get hungry.

Day 2 - 1st Sea Day

First full day at sea is earmarked as Spa Day, and I'm very likely spending the entire day in the spa and by the pool! I've earmarked all of the spa services I want to get, as well as the 2 day Thermal Suite pass. Once I've paid off my portion of the fares and fees, I'll be booking my mani/pedi, massage, and facial! The one question I have about the Thermal Suite pass is how they define "day". Can I come and go for two days, or does a day start when I enter the spa and end when I leave? If anyone happens to know, hit me up!

This is also the first of two Elegant Nights in the MDR on this sailing, and I'm definitely going to that even if Leah decides she doesn't want to. I'm hoping she'll come with me, but I'm not going to force her. It's her trip too, after all.

Day 3 - 2nd Sea Day

This sea day is all about activities-- as soon as I saw the pictures of the Ropes Course on the website I went "gotta do that!". I'm planning on also getting one of the Fitness Class x3 passes, so there might be yoga on the docket as well. I'm a little put out that I'm not going to know the ship activity schedule until the night before each sailing day, but oh well. Definitely want to do a Dive-In Movie at one point, hopefully the movies on this sailing are good ones.

Day 4 - San Juan

The reason we booked this trip was because Leah really wants to go to San Juan, so I'm pretty much following her lead for this port. I'm pretty sure we're going to do one of the Bicardi tours, because Leah is really interested in mixology, but she also wants to see the forts. I'm actually really interested in the ghost tour excursion, but if Leah wants to do one of the Bicardi tours I'm going with her.

Day 5 - Amber Cove

This port day is going to be ziplines. I found a couple of zipline excursions that look really cool, and I've never done a zipline before, so that's the plan. Depending on when I'm done, I might bop around the port a little bit, maybe meet Leah when whatever she wants to do is done, but I'm absolutely doing one of those zipline excursions.

Day 6 - Grand Turk

This is probably going to be the "rent an umbrella at the beach and don't move until it's time to go" day. I'm not really a beach person, but I'll admit that I wouldn't mind sitting on one of these beaches. Neither of us are really interested in any of the Grand Turk excursions, and the beach is right there at the end of the pier, so why not?

Day 7 - 3rd Sea Day

Time to catch up on anything I haven't done yet!

Day 8 - Debarkation Day 😞

Unfortunately, this is the day that we go home. I'm going to book my flight for as late in the evening as I can so that I have a nice big buffer between the ship getting in and my flight boarding, and if I end up sitting in the airport for a few hours then so be it. Leah will be my ride to the airport before she drives back home.

And that's what I've got so far! Thanks for letting me ramble, and I'll be back another time with my Pre-Trip Shopping List!

• Like 10

Wow, you are way ahead of the game. I’ll be following and hope your sisters cruise goes exactly as planned. 

as to the spa day pass, it is for the day. You can go when the spa opens, usually around 8 in the morning, then use it as often as you like until it closes, usually around 9 or 10 in the evening. 

• Like 4

We love the Magic!  Great start to your review - love your pre-planning.  There is also a zip-line at Amber Cove if you don't feel like taking an excursion out of the port.  It is fun - zips right over the pool area, and is unlimited for the day once you get a wrist-band. (think it is like $25) Also lets you go on the water slides.  The forts at San Juan are nice - we walked to both, but I think they still have a free shuttle bus that goes there. It is fun walking the streets and seeing all the shops.   At Grand Turk we usually hang out by the flow-rider and watch people wipe out on it!  We also walk along the beach.  Jack's Shack is a big hang-out for cruisers - just go to the beach and walk to the right.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lazydayz said:

as to the spa day pass, it is for the day. You can go when the spa opens, usually around 8 in the morning, then use it as often as you like until it closes, usually around 9 or 10 in the evening.

Fantastic, thank you! This is excellent to know!

47 minutes ago, matt082600 said:

I'm booked on the Magic next February, so I'm very excited to read your review!!!

Sweet! I'll see about reporting on anything I can!

We're not planning on getting a wifi package, so I won't be able to do a LIVE report, but I'll collect questions that anyone wants answered before I leave.

• Like 1

For your spa service look into the Biotec face and body ritual. It's a 50 minute Swedish massage and 50 minute facial combined. If you book it on the first day you can usually get it for $239. Which is cheaper than getting them separately I believe. I always get one and have never been disappointed 

8 minutes ago, fozzy said:

For your spa service look into the Biotec face and body ritual. It's a 50 minute Swedish massage and 50 minute facial combined. If you book it on the first day you can usually get it for $239. Which is cheaper than getting them separately I believe. I always get one and have never been disappointed 

Thanks for the suggestion! However, I always want to get the longest massage possible, so I'm going to be going with the 75min Swedish, with the possibility of bumping up to 100min when I check in if they let me!

19 hours ago, AwkwardPenguin said:

I'm going to book my flight for as late in the evening as I can so that I have a nice big buffer between the ship getting in and my flight boarding, and if I end up sitting in the airport for a few hours then so be it.

I caution against this.  When we disembarked from the Venezia in New, York City, we had a late flight out of JFK airport. We got to the airport far too early for baggage check. So I got to sit around in the airport for about five hours, watching my bags, unable to relax. 

20 hours ago, AwkwardPenguin said:

Day 4 - San Juan

The reason we booked this trip was because Leah really wants to go to San Juan, so I'm pretty much following her lead for this port. I'm pretty sure we're going to do one of the Bicardi tours, because Leah is really interested in mixology, but she also wants to see the forts.

The last time I looked into this, the Bacardi rum factory tour were not given every day and had limited hours. Please check this out early.  

The forts are amazing to tour.  But I also love visiting the rainforest for a hike.  You can’t fit in both!

Be sure to be outside on deck for sail-away.  Sailing out under the guns of the forts is impressive. 

8 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

The last time I looked into this, the Bacardi rum factory tour were not given every day and had limited hours. Please check this out early. 

This is very good to know... I'm giving Leah first choice in what we do in San Juan, so I'll let her know that if she wants to do a Bicardi tour, she needs to book it as soon as she can. Thanks for the info!

Well, if you are in port on a Wednesday, and the tours are only given Fri though Tues, there isn’t much Little Sister can do.  And now I have Elvis singing in my head!

I hope it works out!  At least the forts are Eight Days A Week, (Trying to change music tracks in my head.)

On 7/18/2024 at 9:05 PM, AwkwardPenguin said:

Part I: Introductions, Background, and Plans, Oh My!

Hello and salutations, Cruise Critic Boards! This is my first trip report here, about my first cruise!

To introduce myself, I'm Teviya, a 30-something Office Manager who is SO STOKED to be going on this trip.

My partner in cruising, crime, and other shenanigans is my 20-something sister Leah!

This trip came about because our parents go on a lot of cruises, and they're currently gearing up for their latest one. Leah got jealous and started poking around. She asked if I was interested in going with her if she found something, and I said of course, and we are now booked for an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Magic for next summer!

This is the first cruise I'll be planning and paying for by myself (mostly-- Leah and I are going halves on pricing), and I'm a planner like nobody's business, so I figured I'd not only try to do a trip report, but also document all of my planning and preparation as well. I have an eight page Excel workbook all about my plans and budget and what I need to buy beforehand, so I have plenty of stuff to share!

And so

The Plan

Day 0 - Travel to Miami

Leah lives in Florida, but I live in Virginia, which means that she has a 6-ish hour drive and I need to fly in from my local airport. We were told in no uncertain terms by cruise veteran Momma Penguin that we should absolutely arrive in the city the day before the cruise leaves and spend the night, which is what we will be doing. We haven't had the "Where are we staying?" and "Where are we eating?" conversations yet, but we'll get there. Leah will pick me up from the airport, so that's something else to coordinate, but it probably means that I'll be getting a late morning or early afternoon flight to give her time to make the drive.

Day 1 - Embarkation Day!

We'll board the ship at some point before baggage check closes-- we chatted very briefly with Momma and Poppa Penguin about possibly doing Faster to the Fun, but we haven't had the serious conversation about it yet. Definitely doing the Sailaway Party (probably while wearing earplugs), and we've got Your Time dining, so we'll figure out dinner when we get hungry.

Day 2 - 1st Sea Day

First full day at sea is earmarked as Spa Day, and I'm very likely spending the entire day in the spa and by the pool! I've earmarked all of the spa services I want to get, as well as the 2 day Thermal Suite pass. Once I've paid off my portion of the fares and fees, I'll be booking my mani/pedi, massage, and facial! The one question I have about the Thermal Suite pass is how they define "day". Can I come and go for two days, or does a day start when I enter the spa and end when I leave? If anyone happens to know, hit me up!

This is also the first of two Elegant Nights in the MDR on this sailing, and I'm definitely going to that even if Leah decides she doesn't want to. I'm hoping she'll come with me, but I'm not going to force her. It's her trip too, after all.

Day 3 - 2nd Sea Day

This sea day is all about activities-- as soon as I saw the pictures of the Ropes Course on the website I went "gotta do that!". I'm planning on also getting one of the Fitness Class x3 passes, so there might be yoga on the docket as well. I'm a little put out that I'm not going to know the ship activity schedule until the night before each sailing day, but oh well. Definitely want to do a Dive-In Movie at one point, hopefully the movies on this sailing are good ones.

Day 4 - San Juan

The reason we booked this trip was because Leah really wants to go to San Juan, so I'm pretty much following her lead for this port. I'm pretty sure we're going to do one of the Bicardi tours, because Leah is really interested in mixology, but she also wants to see the forts. I'm actually really interested in the ghost tour excursion, but if Leah wants to do one of the Bicardi tours I'm going with her.

Day 5 - Amber Cove

This port day is going to be ziplines. I found a couple of zipline excursions that look really cool, and I've never done a zipline before, so that's the plan. Depending on when I'm done, I might bop around the port a little bit, maybe meet Leah when whatever she wants to do is done, but I'm absolutely doing one of those zipline excursions.

Day 6 - Grand Turk

This is probably going to be the "rent an umbrella at the beach and don't move until it's time to go" day. I'm not really a beach person, but I'll admit that I wouldn't mind sitting on one of these beaches. Neither of us are really interested in any of the Grand Turk excursions, and the beach is right there at the end of the pier, so why not?

Day 7 - 3rd Sea Day

Time to catch up on anything I haven't done yet!

Day 8 - Debarkation Day 😞

Unfortunately, this is the day that we go home. I'm going to book my flight for as late in the evening as I can so that I have a nice big buffer between the ship getting in and my flight boarding, and if I end up sitting in the airport for a few hours then so be it. Leah will be my ride to the airport before she drives back home.

And that's what I've got so far! Thanks for letting me ramble, and I'll be back another time with my Pre-Trip Shopping List!

Make sure you go to the Spa tour on Debarkation day. They pass out discount coupons and have the discounts they someone mentioned.

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Well, if you are in port on a Wednesday, and the tours are only given Fri though Tues, there isn’t much Little Sister can do.  And now I have Elvis singing in my head!

I hope it works out!  At least the forts are Eight Days A Week, (Trying to change music tracks in my head.)

Definitely going to talk to Leah about this (we haven't had the Serious Excursion Discussion yet), but I've looked on the Carnival site and they have two options for the Bicardi factory listed, even though our San Juan day is on Wednesday?? We might need to do some investigation.

1 hour ago, phoneman69 said:

Make sure you go to the Spa tour on Debarkation day. They pass out discount coupons and have the discounts they someone mentioned.

Fantastic! Thanks for letting me know!

Part II: The Pre-Trip Shopping List

WARNING: Long Post is Long!

I'm back! And I've brought my shopping list of items that I'm planning to get to bring on my cruise! This isn't everything on the list (I've pretty much left out the clothes and toiletries I'm planning on buying, those might be their own post when I eventually talk about my packing list), but these are the big ticket and cruise-specific items.

First off, I need a suitcase. I have a few Vera Bradley duffles that I've collected over the years, and they've all served me well, but it's time for a real grown-up traveling suitcase. After a LOT of research, comparison, YouTube videos and Amazon reviews, and going back and forth between four or five different options, I've settled on this one.

dream suitcase, the Monos Carry-on in Terrazzo

This is the Monos Carry-on in Terrazzo. It is very pricey, but with the amount I normally travel in a year (about 3-4 times a year on average), this thing is going to last me until the heat death of the universe while being the only suitcase I travel with for the rest of my life.

I'm going to use this as my personal item/pool/beach bag:

foldiebag.thumb.png.e2e43cdfda1031d04d62307176567b8c.png

This is the Foldie 4.0 in Azure Blue. It's huge inside, but folds up really tiny when not in use, and can fit a lot of stuff. They've been running a BOGO sale for ages, and when I asked Leah if she wanted the second one, she asked for it in green.

The "purse" I'm planning on getting is the Corkcicle Sling in black:

corkciclesling.thumb.png.1def0895c8a2c8d21150074294d34261.png

I've been looking for something similar to this for ages, to use on walks. This might be a bit over-engineered for only doing that, but it's going to be an excellent bag to use while on excursions and walking around ports. I might even get a little packable shopping bag to put in there to use for souvenirs. The important thing is that I'll be able to put a water bottle inside, but it's not a big tote bag or a sweat-inducing backpack.

I'm also replacing my Vera Bradley toiletry bag. It's a nice little pouch, and holds a full-sized pair of shampoo and conditioner bottles along with the rest of my minimal toiletries, but it's very structured so it doesn't squish down very well when it's not fully packed. It also doesn't have any organization inside, so I have to fully unpack it to find anything, which is not going to work on a cruise ship where space is limited. However, during my research for a suitcase, I came upon this:

trippedtoiletrybagset.thumb.jpg.00d17924172544849f669c4e8e131b66.jpg

This is the Tripped Travel Gear Dopp Kit set, and while it measures slightly bigger length and width wise than my Vera Bradley, it's much shallower and not at all structured, so I can squish it down if I don't end up filling it entirely. It comes with a 3-1-1 TSA pouch, as well as a slightly smaller clear pouch that snaps onto the hanging dopp kit, and I'm looking forward to figuring out the best ways to use them both. I have Cadence Capsules for my liquid toiletries, and I will be thrilled if the capsules fit in that little snap pouch, along with my toothpaste and hand sanitizer. If they don't, I'll use the 3-1-1 bag for those and use the little snap pouch as a seat-back bag so that I don't have to dig charging supplies out of my Foldie on the flight. But I'll save that for the packing post.

That's it for bags! I'll be getting the suitcase, Foldie, and toiletry bag nice and early so that I can field test them on my next trip to the Southern Penguin Clan outpost, so we'll see how they work out.

Next up is Cruise-Specific items. I can and will use most of these on other non-cruise trips, but a few will probably only be for cruises (because there WILL be other cruises-- having a balcony room is a bucket list item).

First is a pair of earplugs. I have some sensory issues, and while they've gotten better as I've gotten older, I'm still not a fan of really loud environments. I've also been reading stories about noise issues in cabin areas, so these will hopefully help with that.

loopexp2.thumb.jpg.726e2d583628571800d41182072ef017.jpg

These are from Loop, and meant for music events and parties. They come with a cool attachment that reduces noise even further. They're not really great for sleeping, but I've got a solution for that:

sleepheadphones.thumb.jpg.959161b6040bf9d918efc08d80b8183f.jpg

I like to fall asleep to podcasts, audiobooks, or Headspace sleepcasts, but since I'm sharing a room with Leah, I don't want to bother her. So these sleep headphones might help with that.

Next is a truly cruise-specfic item:

cruiseshippowerstrip.thumb.jpg.20d9944f1e1d3dcb179aacadfd6f9296.jpg

I keep seeing cruise-safe power strips mentioned on "what to bring on a cruise" posts, so I figured that with the number of devices Leah and I both have, this would probably be a smart thing to have. However, because it doesn't have a surge-protector, it's probably not going to be used anywhere but cruise ships. Maybe I'll send it home with Leah after the cruise for the Southern Penguin Clan to hang on to (assuming they don't already have one-- Momma and Poppa Penguin do a lot of cruising, and Poppa Penguin is a tech geek of the first order, so I wouldn't be surprised).

In addition to being a bag girlie, I'm also a water bottle girlie. I'd been told in no uncertain terms during my last long trip to the Southern Penguin Clan outpost that I need an insulated water bottle if I'm going to be spending any time outside in Florida or points south, so this is what I'll be getting:

corkciclecanteen.thumb.png.a1a9c8d740cde1a34f144558120f9051.png

It's 32oz and fits nicely in the sling I'm getting. It'll also fit in the water bottle pockets in the Foldie, though it might end up being a little taller than desirable for that-- I'll have to test it out. But fill this baby up just a third of the way with ice and the rest with water, and it'll last ALL DAY. Depending on how much I drink, I may end up refilling this thing once or twice before any of the ice melts, which is wild.

Another item I learned is essential in tropical areas in the summer is a cooling towel:

coolingtowels.thumb.png.10b82083c7e48fcf1c731d6c9294bdc8.png

During my month long visit to the Southern Penguin Clan outpost last summer, Momma Penguin supplied us with the Frogg Togg type of cooling towels for our weekend in Disney World. I loved how cool they got, but did not love how stiff they got as they dried. So while I was putting this list together, I looked for towels that remained soft even as they dried. These will hopefully do the trick!

And of course we need a fan:

adorablefan.thumb.jpg.abce2e35dded62a91e40be947a36c995.jpg

Isn't this cute? Given the time of year we'll be sailing, this is probably going to get a ton of use. And it's tiny enough, I might be able to get it into my seat-back pouch for the flights, since I'm short enough that the air vents on planes don't tend to reach me even when they're twisted to full blast.

And speaking of little things, I've heard great things about these tiny but powerful hand sanitizers:

handsanitizer.thumb.jpg.952d35d88f62aca443f1bd3daf851251.jpg

I know cruise ships are germ factories, and Leah has gotten norovirus on a ship before, so I'm cramming as many of these as I can fit into my liquids bag and making her pick one to keep on her at all times. And then of the leftovers, one is going in my sling, and the other is going to live in the Foldie. Nobody's getting sick on this trip, or I'll know why!

Another cruise-specific item are these magnetic hooks:

magnetichooks.thumb.jpg.71b871f1bc8a25bc5481b3d92b2ecde3.jpg

Given how much stuff Leah and I are likely to have, and the fact that neither of us are the neatest of freaks, these are going to be absolutely essential. And the bright blue color means that I'm not going to miss grabbing them when it's time to pack them up to go home!

The last cruise specific item is these:

cruiseluggagetagholders.thumb.jpg.4d11102a089982a949f4bb8d3355def1.jpg

I found these on Amazon while looking for the power strip, and maybe they're a bit silly but considering that Carnival wants you to staple or god forbid TAPE a flimsy little printout of your luggage tag to your bag, I think these are the safer and more durable option. I'll prep ours before we leave, and then Sunday morning give Leah hers to put on her bag as we're getting ready to head to the terminal. I would much rather pay six bucks for these than risk a taped tag getting damaged or ripped off and then not getting my suitcase at all.

And speaking of potentially lost luggage, last but not least we have AirTags!

airtagmultipack.thumb.jpg.333bdf0e60980ad14912b050d5bf5304.jpg

Apparently it's a thing now to put these in your bags and then watch them go through baggage handling as your flight gets prepped and boarded. I thought it was just something for fun, but these actually saved Momma Penguin a ton of stress just a few days ago as she and Poppa Penguin had to deal with a ton of flight delays on their current trip. She was afraid that their checked luggage wouldn't make it onto their long trans-atlantic flight from their first delayed flight, but she was able to watch them being loaded onto their plane before takeoff. So while I'm planning on going carry-on only for this trip, I'll still be putting one of these in each of my bags, just in case.

So that's the Pre-Trip Shopping list, minus the clothes and toiletries shopping I'll be doing as well! I will NOT be buying all of this in one fell swoop, I've carefully planned out each purchase to correspond with my pay schedule so that I don't bankrupt myself. I look forward to checking each item off the list!

Next post might be a while-- I'm going to try and pay off my half of our trip balance, so that I can start booking excursions. Thanks for letting me ramble!

• Like 6

15 hours ago, AwkwardPenguin said:

I found these on Amazon while looking for the power strip, and maybe they're a bit silly but considering that Carnival wants you to staple or god forbid TAPE a flimsy little printout of your luggage tag to your bag, I think these are the safer and more durable option.

I have these luggage tag holders as well and have used them on 5 cruises so far.  They are extremely durable.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

I have these luggage tag holders as well and have used them on 5 cruises so far.  They are extremely durable.

Use them for all our trips, 11 and counting.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Use them for all our trips, 11 and counting.

That’s great to hear! I’m glad they work out so well.

• Like 2

when you get closer to your cruise date, find the group created for your cruise (either in here or on Fbook,  OR BOTH!  the ones on Fbook are generally more popular and have more interactions in them)

if you don't find one - you can always be the one that creates the group.  Usually, the group gets created because someone is impatient about waiting for someone else to create one  LOL  (which was me last year,  I was looking for my cruise group about 8 months before the cruise and nobody had created one yet...  so I created it.  It was fun moderating the group and getting to know so many people who'd be on the ship with me)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

when you get closer to your cruise date, find the group created for your cruise (either in here or on Fbook,  OR BOTH!  the ones on Fbook are generally more popular and have more interactions in them)

if you don't find one - you can always be the one that creates the group.  Usually, the group gets created because someone is impatient about waiting for someone else to create one  LOL  (which was me last year,  I was looking for my cruise group about 8 months before the cruise and nobody had created one yet...  so I created it.  It was fun moderating the group and getting to know so many people who'd be on the ship with me)

Funny story-- I actually almost started this thread on the Roll Call board for my ship! Then I actually looked at the posts in that board and went "this probably isn't the place for something like this". I'm used to DISBoards where there's a dedicated board for trip reports, and I was looking for that here but couldn't find it. Then I found the "best of trip reports" area and looked at where those reports were posted, and realized that people are putting them in the board of the specific cruise line they were sailing. So here I am! I'll definitely either start or join a roll call when I get closer to the sailing date.

20 minutes ago, AwkwardPenguin said:

Funny story-- I actually almost started this thread on the Roll Call board for my ship! Then I actually looked at the posts in that board and went "this probably isn't the place for something like this". I'm used to DISBoards where there's a dedicated board for trip reports, and I was looking for that here but couldn't find it. Then I found the "best of trip reports" area and looked at where those reports were posted, and realized that people are putting them in the board of the specific cruise line they were sailing. So here I am! I'll definitely either start or join a roll call when I get closer to the sailing date.

LOL yeah, the roll call boards are more for interacting with other folks on your cruise...  this is a far better place for your trip excitement and review.  (more of us can and will follow along here!)