New July 1 law on full pricing disclosure does not seem to be impacting sales

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

No, businesses just CHOOSE to meet their regulations to maximize profit... and choose to apply it to their entire market to maximize profits.

Carnival could just not do business in Europe/California.

Carnival could just apply the Europe/California regulations to Europe/California purchasers.

... but Carnival has chosen to stay in those markets, and comply with the regulations worldwide. Why? Because in their estimation, that is what maximizes their profit.

And it also avoids the possibility of someone in Ca or Europe from not seeing the upfront price, and then Carnival being fined for breaking the law.

6 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

No, but it might be required to comply if selling US-based cruises to Europeans located in Europe when making the booking, and therefore just make the change for all transactions.  I don't know, just suggesting why they made it a universal thing.

You pick what goes in your cart at the grocery store, and can take stuff out you don't want to pay for.  You don't get deselect port charges or whatever other fees that may apply.

I do assume that auto-grats are not included in the new "up front pricing" model.

And as @notscb noted, you can see the details prior to finalizing the booking.

While we SHOULD follow Europe’s lead on many thinks like data and personal information integrity, this is an area where I would hope we would not….but that is just my view…..

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, aborgman said:

No, businesses just CHOOSE to meet their regulations to maximize profit... and choose to apply it to their entire market to maximize profits.

Carnival could just not do business in Europe/California.

Carnival could just apply the Europe/California regulations to Europe/California purchasers.

... but Carnival has chosen to stay in those markets, and comply with the regulations worldwide. Why? Because in their estimation, that is what maximizes their profit.

Or, someone just said do it.  Where is Carnival least profitable?  Europe and the United States of California, huh, what a coincidence.

Edited by jimbo5544

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And it also avoids the possibility of someone in Ca or Europe from not seeing the upfront price, and then Carnival being fined for breaking the law.

Yes, avoiding fines is also a key component of maximizing profit.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Their (Carnival) motivation for making the change is clear.  When someone books, the point is moot, everybody from everywhere knows EXACTLY what they will pay.  Changing the quote process had nothing to do with Europe or anywhere else other than legislative changes (laws) that came from the largest state on the west coast. Hence the question why we were discussing Europe.

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Their (Carnival) motivation for making the change is clear.  When someone books, the point is moot, everybody from everywhere knows EXACTLY what they will pay.  Changing the quote process had nothing to do with Europe or anywhere else other than legislative changes (laws) that came from the largest state on the west coast. Hence the question why we were discussing Europe.

Someone from Europe

On 7/20/2024 at 12:57 PM, Pyrate13 said:

All change is not necessarily good. Might work for some but not for everybody.

The "not necessarily" argument applies to everything in life.  🙂

13 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

OK, whatever you like. I stand by my opinion on this, which I am allowed to have. You stand by yours.

All opinions count.

I mean, I doubt many people were really that fooled in the first place. The price you pay hasn't changed You just feel like fees are gone, but they aren't. So that really soothes people. 

But hey, if this puts every cruise line on a level-playing field, I'll take it.