What's the Butler Situation?

We just upgraded our room to a Celebrity Suite in our upcoming Europe cruise on the Ascent. I know there were a lot of changes regarding sky suites back in the fall. Does the Celebrity Suite have a dedicated butler and complementary drinks in the mini fridge in the suite?

Ty 

Just finished a sailing in the CS.  Reaching the butler on WhatsApp was easiest (they give you a QR code to scan to add them); he was regularly seen as well.  He wasn't of much help for the most part, I actually found the concierge team in the retreat lounge more helpful.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sixpackeddie said:

Yes were were recently in a upper suite and we also used what's app to communicate with our butler, it was very convenient.

So they are using What's App, not some feature of the regular Celebrity app?

We will be in a Retreat category stateroom on our next Celebrity cruise and received this e-mail from the cruise line ~

As a guest of The Retreat*, you'll enjoy the very best we have to offer. Your Sky Suite is a breathtaking space that comes with an array of outstanding amenities and personalized service to cater to your every need. Savor world-class cuisine at Luminae, a private restaurant for guests of The Retreat, unwind in our most exclusive accommodations, and enjoy your favorite beverages throughout the ship.

The captain and crew of Celebrity Silhouette® look forward to welcoming you aboard. We're confident your sailing will prove to be an unforgettable one.

The butler service is often what you make of it.  Ask them for things and enjoy the service, try having a meal en suite and enjoy them serving it.

CM

just off Eclipse Sky Suite.  Had a dedicated Butler as we did on Ascent in March. They are back.  We do appreciate the updated information they provide 

Does anyone else think that using WhatsApp to talk to the butler feels very impersonal?  I suppose it lets them keep a record of everything.  I called last time, a year ago on Beyond.

28 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Does anyone else think that using WhatsApp to talk to the butler feels very impersonal?  I suppose it lets them keep a record of everything.  I called last time, a year ago on Beyond.

It is just a method of direct communication.  So a good step IMO.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Much better for everyone IMO since things are in a written format there is less chance for errors or misunderstanding. Also a time saver for the butler as they don’t have to transcribe a phone conversation. Is it less personal? Probably but it is more efficient and effective 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Sounds to me like WhatsApp works very well if you're off the ship in port and would like the butler to have something ready in the cabin for when you return.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Sounds to me like WhatsApp works very well if you're off the ship in port and would like the butler to have something ready in the cabin for when you return.

Sounds to me like I have to download WhatsApp...

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 7:12 AM, zitsky said:

Unfortunate that personal service has devolved to that, but it has its advantages.  I spent a career in the hotel biz and that's the nature of the beast anymore.

• 5 weeks later...

Funny story.  I asked the Retreat desk a few questions and one was chatting with the butler.  Maybe I forgot about this thread.  They said, and I quote “We can’t tell you until after final payment.”  

I then got a survey and filled it out where I mentioned that comment.  A few hours later I got an email from the same Celebrity rep saying “We use WhatsApp” and answering my other questions.  I guess surveys do work, after all.

Funny how they couldn’t answer a simple question, then they could.

Just off the Beyond last week.  There was no mention of What’s App, or any info on any chat feature to communicate with the Butler.  
We saw our Butler at least once, normally 2 x a day.  When we needed something we called and he answered.  FYI we were in a Sky Suute 

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Just off the Beyond last week.  There was no mention of What’s App, or any info on any chat feature to communicate with the Butler.  
We saw our Butler at least once, normally 2 x a day.  When we needed something we called and he answered.  FYI we were in a Sky Suute 

I’ve only been in a SS once before so this will make 2.  I work in tech but I find using an app to communicate so cold and impersonal.  But I understand why they would want to use it.  Maybe to keep track of requests.

Looking forward to trying this in November. I think being able to text will be a big plus, but frankly I hate calling people on the phone. It’s also probably nice because they don’t have to drop whatever they are in the middle of doing (have had many butler conversations interrupted by a phone call). I’m assuming folks who prefer to call can still do so and this is just an added feature. 

11 hours ago, jelayne said:

Sailed the Edge July 5 in a sky suite. Our butler told us not to use the app, to call him. Butler service and attitude are still hit or miss. He was in our suite and I asked what I could get for a quick last minute dinner, he said call room service! Called him one time for a snack and he said I am on break. The concierges on the other hand were very helpful.