PORTABLE HUMIDIFERS

6 hours ago, Donald said:

So we are comparing one or two mis-guided pax running their shower for one hour - to the many water taps onboard that leak many thousands of liters of fresh water 24/7 because the engineers are too busy to fix them.

I don't think you want to dig your heels in on this one.  Just saying.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/23/2024 at 10:25 PM, chengkp75 said:

Never seen that in 46 years at sea, 4 on cruise ships.  Stewards are only too ready to report this, and the engineers that I've had consider this to be just as critical as stopped up toilets.

Must be difficult working for a cruise line that doesn't supply sufficient engine staff to deal with all repairs.  As I've said, never seen or heard of this.  We had enough staff to repair these leaks, and we were paying US wages, so the company had a large incentive to cut staff.

Just as a note, a dripping faucet typically leaks about 30 gallons/month.  A shower uses 150 gallons/hour.

After 48 years on cruise ships, I see it al the time.

Pride of Aloha was a particularly difficult case. The Engineers were very inefficient.

We did not have 1 tap leaking 30 gallons per month.There were dozens.

Maybe you remember that.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Donald said:

After 48 years on cruise ships, I see it al the time.

Pride of Aloha was a particularly difficult case. The Engineers were very inefficient.

We did not have 1 tap leaking 30 gallons per month.There were dozens.

Maybe you remember that.

I surely don't, and as the person who saw and read every single work request from the hotel side, I can say that I don't remember more than one or two in 4 years.  And, I would stack my hotel engineers up against any in the international fleet, and I worked with them as well.

And, just to help you with the math, that one shower you advised the OP to run for an hour is the equivalent of 3600 dripping faucets.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I surely don't, and as the person who saw and read every single work request from the hotel side, I can say that I don't remember more than one or two in 4 years.  And, I would stack my hotel engineers up against any in the international fleet, and I worked with them as well.

And, just to help you with the math, that one shower you advised the OP to run for an hour is the equivalent of 3600 dripping faucets.

Thank you, sir. Fact are it IMO.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 8:13 AM, chengkp75 said:

Chief - isn't that the truth, if you don't know about it, you can't fix it.

In my experience, whenever we raised a work order, or even called the engine room before computerised maintenance management systems, if the engineers couldn't respond in a timely manner, we normally got a call with a timeline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2024 at 12:03 AM, Donald said:

Turn the temperature to the highest, and let it run for an hour.

Kinda wasteful don’t you think? 

• Like 2

On 7/26/2024 at 6:03 PM, wcook said:

Kinda wasteful don’t you think? 

How do you feel about a cruise ship dumping 2 tons of food waste into the ocean every day?

Nearly every cruise ship carrying more than 2,000 passengers does that every day of the year.

There are currently around 275 ships of that size or larger doing that around the world today.

A bit over 500 tons every day of the year. Wasteful?

Today only, approximately 650,000 cruise passengers each produced around a half ton of waste water on cruise ships. About half those ships processed that waste water to drinking quality before dumping it into the ocean. The other half do not have that technology. They dumped around 160,000 tons of raw sewage and dirty water directly into the world's oceans. They will do it again tomorrow - and every day after that - as well. Wasteful?

3 hours ago, Donald said:

Today only, approximately 650,000 cruise passengers each produced around a half ton of waste water on cruise ships. About half those ships processed that waste water to drinking quality before dumping it into the ocean. The other half do not have that technology. They dumped around 160,000 tons of raw sewage and dirty water directly into the world's oceans. They will do it again tomorrow - and every day after that - as well. Wasteful?

MARPOL Annex IV requires every vessel engaged on international voyages of > 400 GT and at least 15 pax to be fitted with an approved sewage treatment plant or an appropriate sized holding tank(s).

I expect not all vessels have Advanced Waste Treatment systems, as some may still have the older Marine Sanitation Systems, which have multiple types of treatment. Not aware that any vessel meeting the criteria of Annex 4 is permitted to pump raw sewage, unless it involves the safety of the vessel.

The Chief is more up to date, since I retired > 12 yrs ago @chengkp75  Chief, can you please confirm and expand.

• Like 1

To say that half of cruise ships dump "raw sewage" overboard is farcical.  As Andy notes, each ship, while it does not need to have an "advanced wastewater treatment plant", if they don't they need to have a "marine sanitation device" that treats the sewage to at least municipal standards before it goes overboard.  Yes, MARPOL does allow for a ship to discharge untreated waste at sea, but most flag states require that these discharges be due to damage to the ship or malfunction of the treatment plant, and are to be reported when they happen.  Further limiting this kind of discharge from cruise ships is the requirement that the sewage be discharged at a "moderate rate", which can be calculated by the ship's size and the speed.  Let's take the Norwegian Sky, a ship I'm familiar with.  Based on her beam, draft, and an assumed speed of 14 knots, she can discharge sewage at a rate of 38.4 cubic meters/hr, or about 460 tons per a 12 hour passage between ports.  The ship generates about 700-800 tons/day of sewage (black and gray water), so this method would only allow the ship to get rid of about 60% of its wastewater, and have to hold the rest.  Where does that "rest" get discharged?  It doesn't, because even before the advanced wastewater plant was installed on the Sky, it had a marine sanitation device that was sized to treat all the wastewater generated.

I believe someone is using the "Friends of the Earth" figures for sewage discharge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And, anyway, the point of view seems to be that since cruise ships legally are allowed to do some wasteful things, that we should advise others to voluntarily contribute more to the wastage.  Wow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And, anyway, the point of view seems to be that since cruise ships legally are allowed to do some wasteful things, that we should advise others to voluntarily contribute more to the wastage.  Wow.

Ain't it the ever-lovin' truth? A friend and I used to walk 5 or 6 days a week and take a bag to pick up trash. Far, far before we finished our three mile walk those bags were full of trash.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2024 at 5:33 PM, vadersprincess12 said:

Hi - has anyone traveled with a portable humidifier for an ocean view cabin to keep the air from being so dry?  

YES - DH & I would always return from 14+ Day Cruises with horrible upper respiratory

infections.  Our Primary Dr - told us to travel with a personal humidifier & also UV Air Purifier.  Once we started to do that we no longer got ill even on cruises lasting 60 Days+.  Our humidifier is about 14-16" tall,  (We purchase the gallon jugs of Distilled Water the ships sell).  Our Sharper Image VU purifier is about 5" square by 16-18" tall.

3 hours ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

YES - DH & I would always return from 14+ Day Cruises with horrible upper respiratory

infections.  Our Primary Dr - told us to travel with a personal humidifier & also UV Air Purifier.  Once we started to do that we no longer got ill even on cruises lasting 60 Days+.  Our humidifier is about 14-16" tall,  (We purchase the gallon jugs of Distilled Water the ships sell).  Our Sharper Image VU purifier is about 5" square by 16-18" tall.

Do you have to have a 'doctor's excuse' to bring those things on board. If you can't bring on a coffee maker....

1 hour ago, clo said:

Do you have to have a 'doctor's excuse' to bring those things on board. If you can't bring on a coffee maker....

If it's a non-heated humidifier (so, using ultrasonic vibration to create the mist, rather than a heating element, which is what usually seems to be banned), I would hope that it would be allowed, even without a doctor's note. You can get tiny ones that are smaller than a travel coffee cup. 

22 hours ago, clo said:

NO = & they pack nicely in our luggage.  Do make sure you have a ship approved extension cord or a Multiple Outlet Cube - if you need extra outlets to plug in these 2 items.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

If it's a non-heated humidifier (so, using ultrasonic vibration to create the mist, rather than a heating element, which is what usually seems to be banned), I would hope that it would be allowed, even without a doctor's note. You can get tiny ones that are smaller than a travel coffee cup. 

Yes I use the ultrasonic cool mist humidifier.  First trip I had a travel cup size - too small it would only last a couple of hours before refill.  Now I travel with one that I refill morning & evening.....and leave on constant run.  I do place it on top of a washcloth as precaution of not letting mist damage surface I placed it on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vadersprincess12 said:

I've found a usb portable air purifier that I think might work.  It has great reviews so that may be the first option.

Wonderful - well worth the investment.  Forgot to tell you - we were advised to bring a spray bottle & Alcohol.  We use that to disinfect our cabin - anywhere one touches.  (Just use a ship washcloth & spray it with the alcohol then wipe areas.  Does not damage washcloth nor areas wiped.  I also bring Saran Wrap & wrap the TV remote.

• Haha 1

I find some of the topics on this site to be quite bizarre.

Sorry but this is one of them.

If the aircon in the room is too cold, has anyone thought about bringing their own radiators onboard to warm it up again?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DarrenM said:

If the aircon in the room is too cold, has anyone thought about bringing their own radiators onboard to warm it up again?

I find it easier to adjust the thermostat!  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DarrenM said:

It would be helpful if you learned a bit about the needs of people who are different from yourself.  These forums are meant to be helpful, meant for us to exchange ideas about how to solve issues.  I have learned a great deal over the years from Cruise Critic.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 12:40 PM, vadersprincess12 said:

We carry anti-bacterial wipes when we travel and use them on all the surfaces in hotel rooms and ship cabins.  We also carry Lysol.  We did this long before Covid.  Guess we are just germophobes 🤣

I don't know if you're aware - but a bank of cabins share the ventilation coming from heater & A/C.  So if the passengers in the adjoining cabin have a cold or God Forbid, CoVid.  Also many people get off the ship sick.  They've touched everything in your cabin which does NOT get thoroughly sanitized in-between passengers.

You may have a strong immune system - but many passengers esp the elderly do not.

"Cruise Crud" is a common ailment many passengers get on longer cruises.  I was one of them.