Considering Mexican Riviera

sdf1903

Hello

Cruised the Caribbean a few times and now thinking of trying the Mexican riviera either November 2025 or March 2026. It’s the standard itineraries we are looking at but not sure whether to book or not. Idea is to cruise as part of a few days in the LA and San Diego areas. 

Perhaps too much of an open question but are these cruises good/popular? Are they likely to be similar to the Caribbean?  Travelling from Scotland and don’t know anyone that has ever been that side of the US/Mexico. From what I’ve seen I’m quite keen to try one. Been looking specifically at NCL but doesn’t have to be.

thanks

steven 

Are they popular? Well, based on the number of ships in the Mexican Rivera, compared to the number sailing the Caribbean, you wouldn't think them popular, as there is probably 4 or 5 times as many ships in the Caribbean. But they are still attractive...many people love them. For those of us on the West Coast of the US, they are very easy, and reasonably priced.

The general nature is similar to the Caribbean, but a little less focus on water sports.

• Like 2

Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, two of the most commonly visited ports on Mexican Riviera cruises are rather urban. The atmosphere in these fairly large cities, and even in Cabo San Lucas is far different than it is in lesser populated places in the Caribbean like the US or British Virgin Islands or Sint Maarten.

• Like 1

When we want a cruise for sun/sand/ and relaxation, we head to the Caribbean.  When we want a winter home, we live on the Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta).  Would we recommend flying from Europe to our west coast to take a Mexican Riviera cruise?  Probably not.  But, if you happen to be on the west coast, and like to cruise, than the Mexican Riviera is a great option.

Another alternative is taking a Panama Canal cruise that gets you some of the Caribbean, Central America,  

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

When we want a cruise for sun/sand/ and relaxation, we head to the Caribbean.  When we want a winter home, we live on the Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta).  Would we recommend flying from Europe to our west coast to take a Mexican Riviera cruise?  Probably not.  But, if you happen to be on the west coast, and like to cruise, than the Mexican Riviera is a great option.

Another alternative is taking a Panama Canal cruise that gets you some of the Caribbean, Central America,  

Hank

Thanks Hank. That’s interesting and I think you might be right about the Panama Canal. We have been looking at that this morning and considering that as an alternative 👍

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 7:38 AM, Hlitner said:

Would we recommend flying from Europe to our west coast to take a Mexican Riviera cruise?  Probably not. 

Hank

Totally agree, coming from Europe much better to do one of the many itineraries  in the Caribbean.  For the best of both worlds do a Panama Cannel cruise from San Juan to California.  

• Like 2

On 7/28/2024 at 7:31 AM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Totally agree, coming from Europe much better to do one of the many itineraries  in the Caribbean.  For the best of both worlds do a Panama Cannel cruise from San Juan to California.  

We did a full transit from San Juan to San Francisco.  But if I was to do it again I would just do a partial transit from the Caribbean side.  After a few locks it's like watching paint dry.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

After a few locks it's like watching paint dry.  

Just treat it as another Sea Day, and enjoy the ship.  

I advise others, but I can't do it.  I am outside on the balcony or a nice viewing area on deck glued to my binoc's looking for wildlife.  But I agree that after the first lock, the excitement pales.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike45LC said:

Just treat it as another Sea Day, and enjoy the ship.  

I advise others, but I can't do it.  I am outside on the balcony or a nice viewing area on deck glued to my binoc's looking for wildlife.  But I agree that after the first lock, the excitement pales.

Bigger issue for me is the Caribbean side is much prettier than the Pacific side.  I would just as soon stay there.  I would like to see the new cannel.  I think recently there's been an issue with water flow into the locks due to drought.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We did a full transit from San Juan to San Francisco.  But if I was to do it again I would just do a partial transit from the Caribbean side.  After a few locks it's like watching paint dry.  

You're entitled to your opinion, but I've taken six full transits and I've found or learned something new each time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Bigger issue for me is the Caribbean side is much prettier than the Pacific side.  I would just as soon stay there.  I would like to see the new cannel.  I think recently there's been an issue with water flow into the locks due to drought.  

If you're bored transiting the original locks then you're certainly not going to find the new locks very interesting as there's less to see.

Yes, there have been restrictions on the number of ships permitted to transit the canal on any one day due to drought, but rainfall has recently increased and the canal authorities have been increasing the number of permitted daily transits.

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If you're bored transiting the original locks then you're certainly not going to find the new locks very interesting as there's less to see.

Yes, there have been restrictions on the number of ships permitted to transit the canal on any one day due to drought, but rainfall has recently increased and the canal authorities have been increasing the number of permitted daily transits.

Good to know, but I have other places to see and to little time.  I can't see doing any cruise six times especially the Panama.  We did Alaska three times from different embarkation/debarkation ports and Alaska never disappoints.  

9 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Good to know, but I have other places to see and to little time.  I can't see doing any cruise six times especially the Panama.  We did Alaska three times from different embarkation/debarkation ports and Alaska never disappoints.  

None of the six cruises that included Panama Canal transits were the same, They were six long cruises of three to over five weeks duration each that happened to include a Panama Canal transit as one day of the cruise. On one the ship also made a port call at Fuerte Amador on the Pacific side, which gave passengers a day to explore Panama.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

On one the ship also made a port call at Fuerte Amador on the Pacific side, which gave passengers a day to explore Panama.

We stopped there on an unscheduled port stop so the crew could all go buy electronics.  They all came back carrying TV's, computers, stereo's, etc.  

17 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We stopped there on an unscheduled port stop so the crew could all go buy electronics.  They all came back carrying TV's, computers, stereo's, etc.  

Buying electronics...that sounds like the stop was at Colon on the Atlantic side.