luggage tags

Ok dumb question but I am so curious, I've been a cruiser for years, been platinium on CCL forever, and will be turning Platinium on NCL this cruise, I'm telling you this to let you know I'm not new to this. So people are saying they got their luggage tags in the mail from NCL? It's been a good number of years since I've seen anything for a cruise by a cruiseline and I'm so confused. The people claim they are in regular rooms, not suites (there is no Haven on this older ship) So what is happening? Why are some getting luggage tags in the mail? Anyone in the know?

• Like 1

It seems a little bit random. I THINK Haven/suits get them, but like you I have also heard that some not in those rooms get them. I have not heard of a lot of "normal room" people getting them. Either way, nothing to waste time thinking about in my opinion. 

• Like 2

i cruise all of the time in either studio  or inside cabins. the last time i received luggage for my normal cabin was back in 2021 when cruises were being restarted. that only lasted for like a less then a year. since then, i no longer receive tags in the mail 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kyrisong1 said:

Ok dumb question but I am so curious, I've been a cruiser for years, been platinium on CCL forever, and will be turning Platinium on NCL this cruise, I'm telling you this to let you know I'm not new to this. So people are saying they got their luggage tags in the mail from NCL? It's been a good number of years since I've seen anything for a cruise by a cruiseline and I'm so confused. The people claim they are in regular rooms, not suites (there is no Haven on this older ship) So what is happening? Why are some getting luggage tags in the mail? Anyone in the know?

Our last two cruises, one a month ago and they one prior to that in 2023 we were in the Haven and a Suite. We got luggage tags a month before each cruise. Sailing with friends in a regular balcony then did not get tags. Its easy enough to print them out, even if NCL sends us tags I still print my own and use these holders

https://amzn.to/3AaG3RI

Typically the luggage tags are mailed out ONLY to haven or suite guests.  We were in haven suites the last few cruises and we didn't get tags for one of those cruises, but . . . 

Have been on 4 NCL cruises since Covid in balcony cabins and have never received luggage tags by mail.
In fact, I have not received tags by mail from several other cruise lines in many years, either.

They are easy to print out and I also use the tag holders from Amazon.

( and while you are looking at Amazon, purchase some of their magnetic hooks for the cabin wall. they come in very handy!)

1 hour ago, DorothyB said:

Typically the luggage tags are mailed out ONLY to haven or suite guests.  We were in haven suites the last few cruises and we didn't get tags for one of those cruises, but . . . 

I've never sailed Haven or in a suite but I have gotten tags on a couple of cruises. But only a couple of times. And on one of those, I won my bid, so upgraded - making the tags useless anyway LOL.

• Like 1

Last cruise we were Haven and no luggage tags (shoreside concierge said they showed them sent and confirmed my address, but nothing). We have another Haven cruise next month. Once again, many people on the cruise meet page are posting they received their tags already two weeks ago. Nothing for us again.  I called shoreside just to see if there was something in my profile that prevented me receiving them, but nothing. They said they put in a request to reissue them. Still nothing. 

These weren't last minute cruises and they weren't upgrades. We booked Haven outright months in advance each time. 

Yeah, yeah, i know i can print them. But if i have my choice of issued luggage tags or printing them myself, sorry, that's an easy answer. It's a highlight to receive them and i miss them when we don't get them but others are reporting they have. 

6 hours ago, kyrisong1 said:

Suites and Haven rooms get luggage tags mailed to them. There are certain ports like Seattle where the union porters are "less helpful" where the cruise line extends the luggage tags to other cabin classes trying to minimize the crowding. 

So must be a glitch or a new thing they are doing. We also got our luggage tags in the mail, regular balcony room and my friend who it's only her 3rd cruise also got them. Weird

Pardon my ignorance, but where do you print out your luggage tags on the NCL site? I’m looking all over and can’t find it. 🫤

8 hours ago, philv said:

Pardon my ignorance, but where do you print out your luggage tags on the NCL site? I’m looking all over and can’t find it. 🫤

While looking at your "cruisedoc," look for a tiny luggage icon and click on that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

While looking at your "cruisedoc," look for a tiny luggage icon and click on that.

Got it. Thanks 👍😉

• 5 weeks later...

So I just got my tags in the mail. Which is a surprise since I'm in a balcony, but upgraded from a solo studio recently enough that I wouldn't be surprised if the tags were made before my reservation. They gave me six tags. My room number does not appear on any of them. Two of them have my name. The other four just the ship and sail date. Is the room supposed to be there? It looks like there might be RFID in the tag. Is this how these things usually look?

Should I trust my luggage to these tags at all, or just print out my own when they're available?

28 minutes ago, Menocchio said:

Should I trust my luggage to these tags at all, or just print out my own when they're available?

NCL does not use RFID. Just printed labels with your room location and room number. If you use a tag without a room number and the porter does not notice it, your bags will be sent to lost luggage onboard,,,, eventually. 

image.png.2791d6ceea43fb9306ddc202e5f2ac1a.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

last april we were in a 2bedroom suite.  as above, i called and was advised  they were "sent out" never received them and was told it was to late to send out a new set. (3 weeks prior to sailing)

we're in the prima haven, set to depart from reykjavick in 3 weeks. as i hadnt received the tags as yet either, i called and come to find out their computer didnt have our zip code (odd response as we've been sailing with ncl since 2010 and 30 cruises). thankfully, they arrived the next day.

by the way, if youre going to print them off from your computer, i suggest using a stronger bond of paper. (ie photgraphic)

On 7/29/2024 at 9:17 AM, DorothyB said:

Typically the luggage tags are mailed out ONLY to haven or suite guests.

Are you sure about this?  How do you know?

I only sail steerage and received tags in the mail for my last two cruises (July 2024).

On 7/29/2024 at 3:31 PM, BirdTravels said:

Suites and Haven rooms get luggage tags mailed to them. There are certain ports like Seattle where the union porters are "less helpful" where the cruise line extends the luggage tags to other cabin classes trying to minimize the crowding. 

This lines up with my experience.  We got them for our May '24 Alaska cruise out of Seattle.  I have not gotten them for other cruises.  (non-Haven or suite)

57 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL does not use RFID. Just printed labels with your room location and room number. If you use a tag without a room number and the porter does not notice it, your bags will be sent to lost luggage onboard,,,, eventually. 

image.png.2791d6ceea43fb9306ddc202e5f2ac1a.png

Thank you! Yeah, mine didn't have any of that information. Looking more closely at the accompanying letter, it's dated the day I upgraded to a balcony but I was was assigned an actual room a few days later. I wonder if they'll send me updated tags with- y'know -the information the porters need to get my luggage to my room.

Edited by Menocchio

4 minutes ago, Menocchio said:

I wonder if they'll send me updated tags with- y'know -the information the porters need to get my luggage to my room.

Wonder no more!  It will never happen.  I think I just printed Averi labels with the new cabin number/deck location and stuck them on those nice NCL labels.  Bags made it to the cabin. 😎

Edited by ChiefMateJRK