We put in a move up offer, but are thinking of just upgrading question?

sdnich

We have a couple move up bids for our September cruise we are booked in an AQ  now but looking what we bid on a move up we could possibly just pay to upgrade to a sky suite for just a couple hundred more than the bid .

I’m curious is this some thing I would call my travel agent for or should I call Celebrity directly? I love my TA, but sometimes when he’s busy  it takes a little while to get any action done.
Also I’m assuming since it would be a paid upgrade that I would not lose my onboard credit and gratuity included that came with the initial cruise booking??

Thanks any input would be great!  Since we put the move up bids in we realize we really want to be in the retreat for this cruise since it’s our anniversary! I’ve never been a bit of a gambler. We also have bids in for the Celebrity suite but we only bid $500 more per person so I don’t think we would get the bid excepted .

Your OBC may change, even though the net result may be higher. You would lose gratuities since gratuities are not included in today's fares. You do need to contact your TA to complete this since they own your booking.

I did and upgrade recently as the price of the RS had dropped significantly.    The cruise is still 1 1/2 years out but I had booked in while on-board.   I lost my OBC but retained my prepaid gratuities.   The net price was still advantageous.  

While you do lose your gratuities perk, you in turn gain a premium beverage and WiFi package by booking the Sky Suite directly.  If, on the other hand, you do this via a MoveUp bid, you do not get those two extra benefits that are normally awarded to suites.  Note that the daily gratuity rate also increases a bit for suites vs. your original AQ booking.

You'll have to do some math to decide what works best for you.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I should’ve added also that we already used all of our onboard credit to purchase beverage package upgrade and specialty dining.

How would then  return the OBC?

Edited by sdnich

Just now, sdnich said:

I should’ve added also that we already used all of our onboard credit to purchase beverage package upgrade and specialty dining.

So, if you upgraded to a suite, you could cancel the bev package, but keep specialty dinning, unless you were moving to an RS or above.  Again, doing the math is very important, so you know exactly what you are committing to with the move...call your TA!

3 minutes ago, rcrabb1513 said:

I was under the impression once one submits a moveup bid it was locked in and could not be canceled.  Am I mistaken?

Only if its at the point of accepted.....otherwise its adjustable and can be cxled

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sdnich said:

One more thing to add it is the last room SS 2124 on the Solstice under the Ocean view cafe .

So, you could possibly have some noise issues, depending on your sensitivity to noise...check it out on the sticky above to see if this cabin has been reviewed.  Sounds like you booked an S class ship...?

Edited by Lastdance

We like AQ...BLU and thermal suite ( other than M class).  We would not bid to move up!?? Usually book the room we like and stick with it.

If you used a T for the orig booking, you may have to use the TA for any changes,

3 hours ago, sdnich said:

One more thing to add it is the last room SS 2124 on the Solstice under the Ocean view cafe .

As this SS is right next to the Aqua SS and on the Starboard side. I think you will have very little noise from above. I would have your TA put a hold on the 2124 suite.

4 hours ago, sdnich said:

How would then  return the OBC?

You could either cancel the purchases or they will be cancelled.    If the OBC was obtained via an on-board booking you will probably also loose the OBC (at least I did when I upgraded). 

Posted (edited)

So I had my travel agent,and  put a hold on the room 2124 and he needs  to check about the gratuities that were already included because it was before they removed them from all bookings. He thinks the OBC is just fine.

He said we could just wait till next week and wait for the move up bids to be decided, but then I think I really talked myself into wanting an SS . We were trying to budget since we both just retired! But we have five days at sea and the retreat lounge and deck deck and Luminae  sound great😊

we will budget later LOL

Edited by sdnich
  • Like 3

We are booked in SS 2124 for our Sept 22 nine day cruise to Hawaii!! We will pay gratuities on board which is fine and all of our OBC stayed with the reservation! Super excited!! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sdnich said:

We are booked in SS 2124 for our Sept 22 nine day cruise to Hawaii!! We will pay gratuities on board which is fine and all of our OBC stayed with the reservation! Super excited!! 

Congratulations!

If the points are important to you, you'll be pleased to know that you will now receive Suite Captains Club points, rather than Aqua. You would have only recieved Aqua points had you won the upgrade. 

Enjoy!!!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You could either cancel the purchases or they will be cancelled.    If the OBC was obtained via an on-board booking you will probably also loose the OBC (at least I did when I upgraded). 

I don't understand why you lost your book onboard OBC.  You shouldn't unless that's another "benefit" of the book later booking.  There did seem to be a time about a year ago where there seemed to be some confusion and some Celebrity agents didn't seem to understand.

I always do a book now refundable booking "placeholder" and then move to a desired sailing later usually repricing to NRD deposits.  Never had issue with the onboard OBC benefit being retained and adjusted to the new sailing length and cabin category.

10 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I don't understand why you lost your book onboard OBC.  You shouldn't unless that's another "benefit" of the book later booking.  There did seem to be a time about a year ago where there seemed to be some confusion and some Celebrity agents didn't seem to understand.

I always do a book now refundable booking "placeholder" and then move to a desired sailing later usually repricing to NRD deposits.  Never had issue with the onboard OBC benefit being retained and adjusted to the new sailing length and cabin category.

Celebrity let my agent know in advance that the OBC was a promotion that was given at time of booking.   I'm sure there was also some additional things in the mix as I was getting the Zenith Rate which removes the duplicate perks for Premium Internet and Drink Packages we get with status. 

Of course there had also been changes since our booking including they had dropped inclusion of tips and they did allow us to keep free tips.

BTW I wasn't cancelling I was simply upgrading so Refundable or NRD would not have been and issue.