Early or last minute bookings

Does anyone have experience with waiting to the last minute to book a cruise?  I often wonder if I can get a better price if I wait. Looking at a 3 day cruise out of Los Angeles in April or May

Every cruise sells differently. This week, they might have been booked full weeks or months ago. Next week there might be open cabins right up to sailing. You just have to do the research. Some cruise lines have "call" lists...locals they can contact last minute to fill cabins at greatly discounted rates. You might check that for your area.

In your case, to travel BOS-LAX, your last minute airfare might negate any real savings on the cruise.

• Like 3

There really aren't last minute cruise deals as there may have been at one time years ago. And many cruise lines have 24 - 48 hour prior to sailing booking closings due to manifest requirements.  But even if you could book late, most cruises are booking extremely strongly now and there may not be late availability of staterooms. And typically, I don't think they are being discounted as you may hope with fares likely reflecting the last published rate in the selling cycle for that given stateroom.

Also typically, the earlier you book the better as most cruise lines earliest published prices are the lowest with the likelihood of price increases as the selling cycle continues.  Also booking early usually allows the flexibility of protecting your fare from increases while allowing for it to be favorably repriced should the fare decrease after you book it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, doones2 said:

Does anyone have experience with waiting to the last minute to book a cruise?  I often wonder if I can get a better price if I wait. Looking at a 3 day cruise out of Los Angeles in April or May

Hello @doones2

Perhaps something in the following oldie but goody Cruise Critic articles will be helpful:

Last Minute Cruising: 9 Tips for Getting a Deal Last updated November 08, 2023

Late vs. Early Booking: When to Book a Cruise for the Best Price Last updated September 22, 2023 

2. I suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies such as this one. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

Hope this will be helpful!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Thanks 1

I've been looking at Med cruises for this fall since the spring. We usually book early, so this has been unusual for us, but we were waiting for our daughter to make up her mind (she has lots of things going on in her life.) We have seen the prices creep up with even insides disappearing. 

Our only last-minute sailing was about two years ago, during the end of the pandemic, when we snagged a 13-day TA balcony for about $350 on RCL. The flight was reasonable, and it was a great experience.

I can only conclude that the cruise industry is alive and doing very well and that those great last-minute discounts are quite rare. 

• Like 1