Are new cruisebrochures boring?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yes, there was life before the internet!  Haha.  I remember how we so relied on those printed airline flight schedule books.   Crazy!  

What a memory!  I remember subscribing to OAG and using those little books constantly.  Thought I was hot stuff.  

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

What a memory!  I remember subscribing to OAG and using those little books constantly.  Thought I was hot stuff.  

OAG!!!   I couldn't remember the name.  

• Like 1

In the 'good old days' I used to enjoy reading the brochures whilst having breakfast.  I even read the small print, which is something a lot of people don't appear to do nowadays when looking on various websites which is why we often get weird questions!! 🤣🤣

We still receive brochures (Oceana, Princess, Norwegian, Cunard, Hapag-Lloyd).  I still read them and like them.  I don’t find that they’ve changed much.  We’ve booked as a result of receiving them.  So, at least with us, they’ve done their job.  I find them good for making notes on when we call.

19 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

With all of the information originally put out and updated at least annually on a printed brochure, all of that and more is available on line through the cruise line websites at a quick glance.  IMO that is far easier and more complete than a brochure. 

I agree that the internet is more complete and often easier but when I sit in the sofa in my garden I really prefer to use a paper brochure. Much more inspiering.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I used to love reading those things, especially all the highlights and deck plans of the ships themselves.  

Now there is almost nothing about the ships in the brochures and that's why they are so boring, I think.

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Now there is almost nothing about the ships in the brochures and that's why they are so boring, I think.

That is why the ones I get go directly to the trash bin. I would read them if they had more about the ships. I do a quick skim but mostly there is no reason to keep them. 

• Like 1

One thing that brochures were/are good for is looking at the old deck plan compared to the new deck plan after a drydock, so that you can see how all of the changes that they make are for the better!!! Like you can see how they took out XXX public area to add cabins or took out XXX lounge to add cabins, etc.

• Haha 1

We get way too many.  I used to love looking them over carefully-this was years ago.  Now I once in a while glance quickly through for itineraries, then into the trash.  We also get multiple of the same exact brochures at times.

Have never bought from a brochure and probably never will.  The prices are outrageous compared to what we can find through various travel agents online.  I sincerely hope no one buys at the prices listed in the brochures!

On 8/15/2024 at 6:57 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

I sincerely hope no one buys at the prices listed in the brochures!

All the cruises we booked when they had prices listed in the brochure were bought for that price. The only way to book here.

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

All the cruises we booked when they had prices listed in the brochure were bought for that price. The only way to book here.

I am aware brochure prices are what is paid in other countries.  I hope they are not the highly inflated prices in the brochures we get here in the US.

7 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I am aware brochure prices are what is paid in other countries.  I hope they are not the highly inflated prices in the brochures we get here in the US.

I think that they were similar to the prices in US brochures, I'm not sure.

The only time I actually like to receive these brochures is for lines that I am not familiar with or ones that really aren't "top of mind" for me.  One recent example was a brochure for Atlas Cruises which I hadn't really thought about since I first heard of the line.  This is in contrast to Viking which bombards our house on a very regular basis.

• Like 1