Uniworld vs Tauck - New Cruiser Help!

MarEll1

Hello - we are planning our first river cruise for next May, either Danube or Seine. We are an active 60 year old couple.  Our TA is really pushing Tauck. We have friends who have sailed Uniworld and love it. Don’t know anyone who has sailed Tauck. We can get a suite on Uniworld for well over $1,000 less per person than a Category 5 on Tauck for a comparable sailing. Having a balcony and bigger cabin is swaying me towards Uniworld but I’m not sure. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Posted (edited)

I have sailed on both Tauck and Uniworld and they both provide a wonderful experience with excellent food and service.  So you really can’t make a bad choice.

Personally, I’d go for a larger cabin and a balcony, especially if the price is right. 

Edited by Mrs. Claypool
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mrs. Claypool said:

I have sailed on both Tauck and Uniworld and they both provide a wonderful experience with excellent food and service.  So you really can’t make a bad choice.

Personally, I’d go for a larger cabin and a balcony, especially if the price is right. 

Thank you - That’s what I was thinking. The Uniworld suite is larger and has a balcony. The Tauck cabin is one of the larger that they have but still smaller than Uniworld and it has a French Balcony.

Did you find the tours similar quality on both? And the dining and ship “atmosphere”? 

Both Tauck and Uniworld provided us with a luxury experience in all aspects of our cruises. 

So I would be comfortable making any future choice based on either the itinerary of each ship or, as you are doing, the available class of cabin. 

• Like 3

The Uniworld ship is the Joie de Vivre and it does not have a "step-out" balcony, if that's what you're thinking.  That ship's "balconies" are basically the same as the french balcony on the Tauck ship, the Sapphire, its just that the "balcony" opens a different way.  I would recommend Tauck, their shore trips are exceptional.

• Like 1

I would also compare the ports and times in port.  There may be a clear winner there.  I like to have a couple later nights that we can wander the town, get dinner/drinks out in town, etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ljandgb said:

I would also compare the ports and times in port.  There may be a clear winner there.  I like to have a couple later nights that we can wander the town, get dinner/drinks out in town, etc.

Good idea! I hadn’t thought of that. I don’t think I saw the times on the itinerary.

Agree with above, both have similar products, I would make my selection based on itinerary and time in port, as well as the $$ savings.  You cant go wrong with either. 

1 hour ago, MarEll1 said:

Good idea! I hadn’t thought of that. I don’t think I saw the times on the itinerary.

They generally don’t list time in port because timing is subject to change due to things like water levels and timing for locks.

• Like 1

I have only traveled with Uniworld (but would cruise with Tauck as well). I was on the Joie de Vivre last year and had a great trip. I am always impressed by the crew but this one was the best I have experienced. Happy to answer any questions I can about that trip! 

enjoy whatever you decide- you will have a great trip! 

• Like 2

I’ve only sailed on Uniworld but wouldn’t hesitate to sail on Tauck either. However, there’s no way I’d pay over $1000 more to sail on Tauck in a smaller cabin, assuming both itineraries are equivalent.

Also, I’m not familiar with the cabin classifications on Tauck ships. Does a category 5 come with the same benefits provided with a Uniworld suite (butler, laundry, etc.)?

• Like 1

Regarding port times, while the exact times aren't published, sometimes you can find descriptions of the day like "board the boat for dinner and sailing" (i.e. you're not staying late) vs "enjoy extended time in XXX."

• 2 weeks later...

I have not sailed with Uniworld yet, though I would like to. We are Tauck fans - we took their Rhine Christmas Market cruise a couple of years ago, and are booked for their Amsterdam to Brussels Christmas Market cruise next year. Everyone on the ship was so friendly - staff and guests. And Tauck keep giving you things - not just all drinks & tips included but we also got $100 to spend in their shop - I love my red handbag! I do not find them more expensive than other lines, in fact the contrary. And we certainly did dock in the middle of most towns.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 5:24 AM, bubbulz said:

I’ve only sailed on Uniworld but wouldn’t hesitate to sail on Tauck either. However, there’s no way I’d pay over $1000 more to sail on Tauck in a smaller cabin, assuming both itineraries are equivalent.

Also, I’m not familiar with the cabin classifications on Tauck ships. Does a category 5 come with the same benefits provided with a Uniworld suite (butler, laundry, etc.)?

No, from what I am reading, the Tauck Category 5 (which is the 2nd largest cabin I believe) does not have any of those amenities that a Uniworld Suite offers. We did decide on Tauck for this trip as it is 1 night longer so the price per night is slightly lower, but I think we will look at Uniworld for the Danube in 2026. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for info on Tauck’s MS Grace.  We’re looking at Basel to Amsterdam next year, comparing Tauck to Avalon. We’ve done Avalon and Uniworld before, both good but we preferred Avalon due to the bigger, nicer cabins.  We’ve also done Tauck land tours and have been very happy.  However, looking at the MS Grace, the cabins look like they’re tiny compared to Avalon. Can anyone comment on this?

We're going on the MS Grace in 2025 for the Christmas Market cruise - I thought the cabins were 300 sq ft? We have been on cruises with Tauck and Avalon and enjoyed both very much, but Tauck gives you a lot more for your money - not just wall to wall drinks.

Worldtraveller99 you’ll be giving us Brits a bad name I see absolutely nothing wrong with wall to wall drinks. Just an opportunity to taste what’s on offer regardless of the cruise company. In other words enjoy what’s on offer!

16 hours ago, Sopwith said:

However, looking at the MS Grace, the cabins look like they’re tiny compared to Avalon. Can anyone comment on this?

I don't know Avalon, but looking at the MS Grace deck plans, Tauck seems to do very well by most cruisers.  Their lowest category cabins are small (150sf), but they do have some not on the lowest deck and it's a small number of cabins (9 out of 67).  The vast majority of cabins are 225 or 300 sf, which is good to very good.  What they don't have are any suites.

Thanks for the info. Yes, on further research the higher category Tauck cabins are actually slightly larger than the Avalon Panorama suites, which is reflected in the price. We’re leaning towards Avalon because of the almost same itinerary and better price. We’ve sailed with them before and the cabins are quite nice.

• Like 1