4 Star Question for a New One

I will be cruising shorting and am new to being 4 star.  Yea for me!!!  I will be traveling in a cabin with three people and I will be the only 4 star mariner. I looked at the perks and laundry and wine package discount is amazing but questions:

1.  Can everyone in my room put laundry in the bag for free laundry or just me?

2.  I see there is a James Suckling wine tasting.  Is that something only I will receive an invitation or will the other two people in my cabin be included?  

3.  If I take my roommates to dinner at Pinnacle and put it on my card, will I get the 50% discount?  

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and information.  

From the Mariner FAQs on the HAL website:

All guests sharing a stateroom as part of the same booking will receive the benefits earned by the guest at the highest Star level. Guests sharing a stateroom under different booking numbers receive individual Star level benefits (this includes 3rd & 4th guest sharing the same stateroom). 

so your cabin mates will enjoy free laundry and if you charge speciality dining to your account, the discount should be applied (as long as you are all on the same reservation).  

The only thing I am not sure about is the invitation to the wine tasting. You may have to ask on board about whether all of you are able to attend. I seem to recall on past trips only those with four or five stars received the invite but am not positive. 

27 minutes ago, patsylll said:

I see there is a James Suckling wine tasting.  Is that something only I will receive an invitation or will the other two people in my cabin be included?  

I made 4* before Her Majesty and I received the wine tasting invite and she did not.

Welcome to the world of 4*....the free laundry and 50% off wine packages are YUGE benefits.

Only you will get the complimentary wine tasting invitation but your cabin mates can attend and pay the fee. 

Yes on the laundry, just put your name on the laundry list. 

Not sure about the Pinnacle Grill. Maybe yes if the reservation is in your name. I would ask once onboard. 

Enjoy your first 4* cruise! ⛴

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FrankieSue said:

you are entitled to invite one guest at specialty  restaurants and both you and your guest will be charged at 50% off (on one bill)

Can you please clarify if the guest is in a different cabin/booking and share the HAL written policy on this?    The HAL info quoted in post #2  from @Ready2go11 isn't consistent with what you state about inviting one guest and getting the discount.

I'm confused. Can we invite one random friend and get the discount or only get a discount for the people in the same cabin/booking number?

Thank you!!

~Nancy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I have, with permission, taken my 2 star sister to the wine tasting as my +1

Interesting - when a 2-star friend accompanied me to a wine tasting (we have separate staterooms) she was charged full price. She was ok with that - didn't expect to go for free, but it's the first I've heard that I should have a "+1" entitlement.

Sue/WDW1972

For wine tasting - I (4*) took my 3* DH to wine tasting - nobody asked for his credentials and he was not charged. I have also taken my 1* BFF and she was not asked for credentials and was not charged. Both of these were on NS end of last year, different sailings 2 weeks apart.

On my last two cruises, I was a 4* and my travelling companion (same room/booking #) was not.  The invite was addressed only to myself, and when we arrived, I simply gave the room number, handed over the invite and walked in.  If asked or wanting to be charged, I had already thought through my reasoning, and it l goes back to the quote of the policy given above, everyone in the cabin gets the same benefits as the highest star. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

As @Mary229 mentioned, she received permission. Perhaps she can tell you who and how she approached that?

I simply called guest services   My sister was my roommate, whether that made a difference I don’t know.  

Edited by Mary229

13 hours ago, oakridger said:

Can you please clarify if the guest is in a different cabin/booking and share the HAL written policy on this?    The HAL info quoted in post #2  from @Ready2go11 isn't consistent with what you state about inviting one guest and getting the discount.

I'm confused. Can we invite one random friend and get the discount or only get a discount for the people in the same cabin/booking number?

Thank you!!

~Nancy

On many occasions, my husband and I have taken friends who were in a different cabin to Pinnacle. Each one of you is entitled to a guest who can be anyone on the ship… it is important that you request 2 bills… One for you and your friend, and one for your husband and his friend….  We have done this at Tamarind, Pinnacle, and Canaletto…. This does not work for other perks such as wine tasting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I simply called guest services   My sister was my roommate, whether that made a difference I don’t know.  

That makes all the difference.  Anyone sailing in your stateroom would be considered your star level, even if it was their very first cruise.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

That makes all the difference.  Anyone sailing in your stateroom would be considered your star level, even if it was their very first cruise.

Sue/WDW1972

This was for the wine tasting, others seemed to think it was not a benefit extended to others at all

Edited by Mary229

22 hours ago, patsylll said:

I will be cruising shorting and am new to being 4 star.  Yea for me!!!  I will be traveling in a cabin with three people and I will be the only 4 star mariner. I looked at the perks and laundry and wine package discount is amazing but questions:

1.  Can everyone in my room put laundry in the bag for free laundry or just me?

2.  I see there is a James Suckling wine tasting.  Is that something only I will receive an invitation or will the other two people in my cabin be included?  

3.  If I take my roommates to dinner at Pinnacle and put it on my card, will I get the 50% discount?  

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and information.  

Suckling is long gone, wines are selected by the cellar master if on board.

Posted (edited)

This seems so simple.

1. Those sharing stateroom as part of same booking receive same Mariner benefits as the person with the highest Star level.

2. Those sharing stateroom under different booking numbers receive Mariner benefits according to their own Star level.

If different ships do it differently (maybe only as a courtesy) that confuses the issue and really shouldn't be done. Head Office needs to get the message out since, as we all know, HAL is not famous for its consistency and that creates problems, frustration........

Edited by SilvertoGold