Access to a cabin that you are not booked in

Has anyone had success going to guest services and being granted access to a cabin that is not theirs for the cruise (with the permission of the people in the cabin of course).

My wife and her sister are not big drinkers, but my SIL bf and I are.  I am considering putting him and I in one room so we can get the drink package and then the women in another room.  However this is obviously not how we would be sleeping onboard.  Ideally I would like to go to guest services and have them give us access to both rooms so we can get into the room we would actually be sleeping in.  If I remember correctly some people have posted they have done this but with their children.  Any one been able to do it for rooms with adults in it?  

Just now, crewsweeper said:

Just change the booking for you and your SIL's BF in one cabin and the women in the other. Get the package for you and SILBF. On arrival make sure everyone is signed up on correct credit cards for charges.Then when at the cabins exchange ship cards.

They will most likely just give out extra key cards at guest services.

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

They will most likely just give out extra key cards at guest services.

You are correct.  But that would not address the issue the OP is concerned about with both parties in a stateroom having to purchase the beverage package. @grod19 in order to facilitate that the names on the stateroom might need to be changed.  And that might be easier accomplished prior to the cruise through whomever you booked.  

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You are correct.  But that would not address the issue the OP is concerned about with both parties in a stateroom having to purchase the beverage package. @grod19 in order to facilitate that the names on the stateroom might need to be changed.  And that might be easier accomplished prior to the cruise through whomever you booked.  

This is what the OP said: "My wife and her sister are not big drinkers, but my SIL bf and I are.  I am considering putting him and I in one room so we can get the drink package and then the women in another room"

That would address what the OP is considering.

• Like 1

I think you'd definitely need to switch the names in the cabin.  Then once onboard Guest Services should be able to make extra keys for each cabin. Everyone needs to hold on to their own keycard as a) that will be important for the drink package and b) you won't be able to get off the ship with someone else's key.

8 minutes ago, silentbob007 said:

I think you'd definitely need to switch the names in the cabin.  Then once onboard Guest Services should be able to make extra keys for each cabin. Everyone needs to hold on to their own keycard as a) that will be important for the drink package and b) you won't be able to get off the ship with someone else's key.

I am totally cool with that.  I don't care if they give us an extra card that we just use to get into the room we are sleeping in or if they just add the rights to our existing cards.  

Yes, you can do this.  Two thoughts: 

- When you "sign in" for the cruise, be sure you each -- all four of you -- give your own credit card numbers for on-board purchases.  Typically you sign in the first person, then the computer asks if you just want to copy over the credit card number for the second person.  

- If you have two balconies side-by-side, you can ask the cabin Steward to open the divider between the two rooms, and then you'll have one looooong balcony /access to one another's cabins.  Of course, you'd want the front door keys too, but we love sharing a long balcony. 

Posted (edited)

Note that if both people in the cabin do not want the Deluxe package, you can call and purchase 1 Deluxe and 1 Refreshment package.  However, if the person with the Refreshment package wants an alcoholic drink, they need to purchase the alcoholic drink a la carte, but need to be vary conservative with the alcoholic purchases so not to raise a flag.

Just another idea where you don't have to jungle cabins and key cards.  Plus, you will be following "the rules", instead of using a loophole.  😄

Edited by Another_Critic

2 hours ago, grod19 said:

Has anyone had success going to guest services and being granted access to a cabin that is not theirs for the cruise (with the permission of the people in the cabin of course).

My wife and her sister are not big drinkers, but my SIL bf and I are.  I am considering putting him and I in one room so we can get the drink package and then the women in another room.  However this is obviously not how we would be sleeping onboard.  Ideally I would like to go to guest services and have them give us access to both rooms so we can get into the room we would actually be sleeping in.  If I remember correctly some people have posted they have done this but with their children.  Any one been able to do it for rooms with adults in it?  

I’ve been able to get a room key that does is not able to incur charges. 

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, you can do this.  Two thoughts: 

- When you "sign in" for the cruise, be sure you each -- all four of you -- give your own credit card numbers for on-board purchases.  Typically you sign in the first person, then the computer asks if you just want to copy over the credit card number for the second person.  

- If you have two balconies side-by-side, you can ask the cabin Steward to open the divider between the two rooms, and then you'll have one looooong balcony /access to one another's cabins.  Of course, you'd want the front door keys too, but we love sharing a long balcony. 

Mostlikely I will be the one stuck entering the information for sign in for everyone so i will make sure it is done right!  

43 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Note that if both people in the cabin do not want the Deluxe package, you can call and purchase 1 Deluxe and 1 Refreshment package.  However, if the person with the Refreshment package wants an alcoholic drink, they need to purchase the alcoholic drink a la carte, but need to be vary conservative with the alcoholic purchases so not to raise a flag.

Just another idea where you don't have to jungle cabins and key cards.  Plus, you will be following "the rules", instead of using a loophole.  😄

But loopholes are so much more fun

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Each card can only open 1 room.  Extra keys will be issued

TY.  That would be perfectly acceptable to me

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

This is what the OP said: "My wife and her sister are not big drinkers, but my SIL bf and I are.  I am considering putting him and I in one room so we can get the drink package and then the women in another room"

That would address what the OP is considering.

No challenge. I realize what they said. My point is the manifest may need to show the two names in the stateroom to confirm the drink packages, not just have them physically there.  The words "putting him and I in one room" just isn't clear to me as to whether they intend have him on the manifest for that stateroom.  That's all I mean. 

3 hours ago, grod19 said:

TY.  That would be perfectly acceptable to me

We often travel with our adult children who have their own cabin. We get a suite to use as our gathering spot and they get an interior. We get them keys to our suite. These are for the door only. They must use their interior room keys to charge anything. So, they carry 2 keys. Not a big issue for them.

You will have the same issue- two people need to carry an extra key.

20 hours ago, ATG said:

We often travel with our adult children who have their own cabin. We get a suite to use as our gathering spot and they get an interior. We get them keys to our suite. These are for the door only. They must use their interior room keys to charge anything. So, they carry 2 keys. Not a big issue for them.

You will have the same issue- two people need to carry an extra key.

For the money this plan could save us all, they will get over having to carry an extra key!

14 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

When we travel with the group, we frequently book an extra party/sick room. We get every couple a key to the room, I think 12 keys is the most. A least one doesn’t work and a new one has to be made. 

this sounds a lot like a key party?!?!?! No judgement 🙂

• Haha 1