CABIN REASSIGNED

ebtrip

3 minutes ago, atexsix said:

FYI, American Thanksgiving is one week late this year on the 28th, that could be causing some of the confusion.

Every 7 years it’s on the. 28th,as my daughter was born on Thanksgiving 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ebtrip said:

Every 7 years it’s on the. 28th,as my daughter was born on Thanksgiving 

That's beautiful!  But wouldn't leap years throw things off from time to time?  Or does that include leap years?

Edited by atexsix

Just now, atexsix said:

That's beautiful!  But wouldn't leap years throw things off from time to time?  Or does that include leap years?

Hasn’t yet. We celebrate her birthday every year on Thanksgiving because we’re together. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ebtrip said:

Hasn’t yet. We celebrate her birthday every year on Thanksgiving because we’re together. 

That makes sense, we have a Christmas birthday in my family, so we do Christmas celebrations on Christmas Eve and the birthday stuff Christmas Day.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

I recently booked a 2026 Norway cruise on Rotterdam. I chose cabin # 7118 because it has a really large balcony. At the time I didn't notice that it's designated as a quad cabin. Should I be concerned that HAL will make me change it in the future for a party of 3 or 4?

Thanks.

Hello @craig01020

Your new thread has been merged into an existing thread regarding HAL's reassignment policy.

Host Kat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ebtrip said:

Yes it’s the Thanksgiving week. My daughter &SIL are teachers and my other daughter was born on Thanksgiving. We take the family on vacation every couple of years on the week of thanksgiving. 

It's hard when you are locked into school holidays but so worth every second of the vacation.  Cherie

18 minutes ago, atexsix said:

It makes me nervous too because I book at the suite level as a solo.  But there are reports of similar bumping on Cunard and elsewhere, I guess it boils down to booking with whomever is less likely to do it.  

If the cabin you have booked are all the same size it should not be an issue. After all.they can not move you from a 3/4 to a 2 if there are no twos in that cabin class.

The issue is if you book a cabin class that has both 3/4 and 2 options and you book 2 people in a 3/4. If you do so then there is the potential to be moved.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

I have an extended balcony cabin for November 23.  I’ve had it booked for over a year.  It’s the only cabin (of 2) that I book on the Koningsdam and with the new policy in effect I’ve been thinking about cancelling before final payment.  Thanks for posting.  You made up my mind.  I’m cancelling.

If I can’t be assured of being in the stateroom I choose i would rather not cruise.  The policy of kids sail free means a family pays for two adults and with the children they are assigned the stateroom that you booked.  I don’t see how HAL benefits from this policy.

The potential for additional onboard spend.

• Like 1

I can't say I'd enjoy a sold out ship that includes 3rds/4ths anyway.  Lots of crowds and long wait times.  And kids sail free?  Expect a lot more racing up/down hallways and playing in the elevators, since there's so few things for them to do on HAL ships, unless you include the taking over of the adult only zones like the aft pool area. 

I guess I'm going to have to go back to 14+ day sailings.  I've been on long itineraries when Club Hal wasn't even operating.  Not enough children onboard. 

• Like 5

When the word of the triple/quad policy came out, I too was not a happy camper.  Used to book a triple/quad for DW and I, so that if my adult daughter could break loose from work, she could join us (assuming ship not at max capacity - which used to be rare).  No more.

I went and changed any bookings I had with triple/quads to regular doubles.  I would not be happy with many cabin locations, so it it the way it must be.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I can't say I'd enjoy a sold out ship that includes 3rds/4ths anyway.  Lots of crowds and long wait times.  And kids sail free?  Expect a lot more racing up/down hallways and playing in the elevators, since there's so few things for them to do on HAL ships, unless you include the taking over of the adult only zones like the aft pool area. 

I guess I'm going to have to go back to 14+ day sailings.  I've been on long itineraries when Club Hal wasn't even operating.  Not enough children onboard. 

In our experience:  The longer the sailing the fewer people (and kids) on the cruise.  We avoid holidays anyway as the airfares are crazy then.

I am sad that people are caught up in this new policy and are thinking about, or outright cancelling cruises.  It seems to me that if HAL chooses to continue down this road, that they do two things:

• Mark the quads as non-bookable unless you meet the criteria.  (Llike they do with the accessible rooms.)
  • If HAL does need the rooms which were booked pre-policy, contact the passenger(s) to discuss the situation with alternative solutions and accept that the passenger(s) has the right of refusal. (Since it was booked pre-policy.)

It is offensive to inadvertently discover that the room you have booked is no longer yours when you haven’t been informed.  It sews seeds of distrust and is a poor way to treat any customer.

• Like 17

@*Miss G*. This was so well stated.  If we are advised of the need for our room prior to final payment o.k.  Or if after final payment HAL does as you suggest and give the passenger the right of refusal.  I will definitely cancel our 2026 cruise if we do not have the cabin we booked in 2024.  Thank you for a well written response.  Cherie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

It makes me nervous too because I book at the suite level as a solo.  But there are reports of similar bumping on Cunard and elsewhere, I guess it boils down to booking with whomever is less likely to do it.  

They wouldn’t downgrade your cabin to a veranda but I guess they could move you to another suite if someone requested adjoining rooms or verandas.  I think you’d be pretty safe when choosing a suite.

12 minutes ago, cccole said:

@*Miss G*. This was so well stated.  If we are advised of the need for our room prior to final payment o.k.  Or if after final payment HAL does as you suggest and give the passenger the right of refusal.  I will definitely cancel our 2026 cruise if we do not have the cabin we booked in 2024.  Thank you for a well written response.  Cherie

Not likely. HAL has stated the policy. 2 can either book 2 capacity cabin, book a 3/4 in a class where there are no 2 capavity cabins, or take a chance that they might get moved any any point up until sail date. Most likely time to get moved is when they are allocating guarantees, well after final payment date.

As with other changes the customers will adapt or they will select another line which aee also moving to booking policies that give them more control of their inventory.

One can pay more and move up market or stop cruising totally but it is pretty clear the direction the mass market lines are moving in concerning cabins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craig01020 said:

I recently booked a 2026 Norway cruise on Rotterdam. I chose cabin # 7118 because it has a really large balcony. At the time I didn't notice that it's designated as a quad cabin. Should I be concerned that HAL will make me change it in the future for a party of 3 or 4?

Thanks.

I would be concerned.  They won’t make you change.  They have reserved the right to move you to another cabin if they need yours for a larger group.

• Like 2

@TRLD  I appreciate your opinions but I was responding to suggestions by @*Miss G*, which I agree with.  HAL has stated the policy but many of us booked prior to the implementation of this policy when booking.  And, as you indicate, we can always choose another line to cruise with if we are unhappy.  I will be cancelling our cruise if our cabin is changed and may not return to HAL, but I made the reservation without hesitation earlier this year.  JMO. Cherie    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Unfortunately, I do not see HAL doing anything for any type of compensation and it is a risk booking a quad stateroom if you only have 2 passengers. I will say it is actually rare that you got moved but you must be on an extremely full sailing. Most of the time it works and you get to take the stateroom you selected. Which is better than what Royal Caribbean and Celebrity does. They will not even allow someone that is only 2 passengers to reserve a stateroom for 3 or 4 passengers. Even if it is just a few weeks before the sailing and there are plenty of quad staterooms but no more doubles in that area. They would rather not sell them in the first place.

HAL doesn't let a solo or couple book a triple or quad any more. At least, not on the sailings I checked a while ago, after this issue first came up here. I think I was checking veranda cabins. If I said two people, I saw a bunch of doubles. If I said one person, I saw the same doubles. But if I said three, I saw triples. If I said four, I saw quads. I don't know if all sailings are showing that way, but it looks like HAL is making it harder for people to buy cabins with greater occupancy than needed. 

I also checked Sig suits, which I think are all triples. The site did let me choose one of them, I guess because there were no doubles to force me into.

So going forward, I think people will not be able to book a cabin that HAL would need to move them from. The issue at the moment seems to be people who booked before the policy change and are not being grandfathered.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

HAL doesn't let a solo or couple book a triple or quad any more. At least, not on the sailings I checked a while ago, after this issue first came up here. I think I was checking veranda cabins. If I said two people, I saw a bunch of doubles. If I said one person, I saw the same doubles. But if I said three, I saw triples. If I said four, I saw quads. I don't know if all sailings are showing that way, but it looks like HAL is making it harder for people to buy cabins with greater occupancy than needed. 

I also checked Sig suits, which I think are all triples. The site did let me choose one of them, I guess because there were no doubles to force me into.

So going forward, I think people will not be able to book a cabin that HAL would need to move them from. The issue at the moment seems to be people who booked before the policy change and are not being grandfathered.

I’m not sure when you checked but I was able to book an inside quad as a single just 4 1/2 months ago. When booking I had to verbally acknowledge the possibility of being moved to a different cabin. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I’m not sure when you checked but I was able to book an inside quad as a single just 4 1/2 months ago. When booking I had to verbally acknowledge the possibility of being moved to a different cabin. 

Can you tell us if this is during a high demand season?  Really hoping you will not be reassigned.  It seems like the length and date of the cruise is important.  Cherie

7 minutes ago, cccole said:

Can you tell us if this is during a high demand season?  Really hoping you will not be reassigned.  It seems like the length and date of the cruise is important.  Cherie

It is a 15 day TA from Barcelona to FLL November 2025. I hope I don’t get moved either— maybe since it’s a longer cruise I have a better chance of staying where I’m at right now. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

It is a 15 day TA from Barcelona to FLL November 2025. I hope I don’t get moved either— maybe since it’s a longer cruise I have a better chance of staying where I’m at right now. 

Sharon, our awesome PCC said a cabin change must go through her before a cabin change can be made. I have her email stating such.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I was doing dummy bookings on the website to see if they were blocking triples and quads from singles or couples, maybe 2 months ago. I didn't talk to anyone at HAL.

Question for anyone who has been moved. Did they move you to the same category grade? For example, if you had a VB, did you get another VB, or could HAL move someone to a VC or VD? 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder