Not-quite-Live < limited > cruise journal: QE (Q427) Alaska cruise: 10 night, 30 Aug – 9 Sep 2024 plus Vancouver pre & post

mking8288

@Desert Cruisers  No kidding, DW has been catching up on Tripadvisors and Youtube for the latest.  Reconfirming with AirBnB, among the tips & suggestions, where & what ... T&T Supermarket, Aberdeen Center (sound familiar to me) and the Radisson Hotel (was on the short list as possible places of stay) & Yaohan.  We'll pass the hotdog at Costco ... heard dim sum are pretty pricey these days but going all the extra miles, not going to get by with pizzas for dinner.  Wished the nieces were able to get more company time off or do remote "WFH" as another day pre or post cruise would be even better. 

BC is for the food & diversity.  Alaska port visits for the scenic, natural beauty and wild/marine life and taking stock of global climate ... changes, coming.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Just read that there was a landslide today in Ketchikan which affected many homes. 

Oh no and this is for real ... adding one of the news link that isn't behind a paywall (as FYI for others, news article of interest -  https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2024/08/26/mandatory-evacuations-issued-areas-ketchikan-after-landslide/

Finished printing BP and saving PDF, with backups ... prepaid United for 3 checked bags, saved $15 too (not an Explorer Card by Chase) - OLCI in about 7 hours, not in a rush to check-in.  Latest "waive" to upgrade to BusinessFirst DEN-YVR at just 20,000 miles p/p.  Not for a 3 hour short hop. 

Well, weather isn't looking pretty for next Sunday ... not sure what we'll end up doing.  Maybe, will just wing it and see what local vendors outside the terminal has to offer. 

This, is, the other news that got my attention - compared to 2003 SARS, this is not going to stop us on our tracks - administrator during that time at the Sunset Park ambulatory care facility, was on high & full alert, cycling lots of PPE, N95's and gloves daily until.  We're the bold & the brave to sail on the Dawn that year.  NYC had a citywide power blackout on a hot summer day, traffic signals not working ... 

Looks like it's going to a challenge to do Cunard to/from NCL "live" chat with Jim on the Gem ... Yvonne on the Jewel apparently doing slightly "better" posting on CC, love the pictures & stories.  

5 Days to QE's embarkation and 1 more day remaining with flights to get into Vancouver.  Susan thinks she'll be hyper-excited and likely not going to get much sleep, will see.  Runs to the bank tomorrow, pickup remaining Rx refills from the pharmacy and prep a dated check for next month's co-op maintenance charges.  This is like conditioning and training to get better in managing our lives for more extended getaways (not the ship ...)   World Cruise, hmmm ... 

P.S.  "memo"  to NCL'ers following us, quite a # of interesting thread/posts on the forum, busy already but doing my best to keep up with the topics / subjects being "addressed" - refreshing to not read about chair hogs, cookies & hash browns (but, yes - they do serve it onboard)

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

Compassion and patience, indeed.  Ketchikan has 6 ships scheduled to be there next Sunday - looks like QE will be at Berth 4 (furthest ??)   Road constructions is a given, landslide & mandatory evac ... plus weather.  What to do ... should I pack my walking sticks ?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Compassion and patience, indeed.  Ketchikan has 6 ships scheduled to be there next Sunday - looks like QE will be at Berth 4 (furthest ??)   Road constructions is a given, landslide & mandatory evac ... plus weather.  What to do ... should I pack my walking sticks ?  

Walking sticks are very helpful for balance and to reduce joint pain. Am sure there will be someone in the group who can use them. 

I like using my hiking poles but I only pack them for serious hikes. 

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Semi serious comment here

Pack any sticks in luggage. A jobsworth might question the need and ask why an assistance form hasn't been filled in.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Pack any sticks in luggage. A jobsworth might question the need and ask why an assistance form hasn't been filled in.

Μy thoughts exactly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Really, okay ... with this ??  Old and young, on our NCL TA stopping at Iceland, quite a few were used ... right knee acts up once in a while and considering having it, just in case. TIA again. 

Screenshot_20240826_074216_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.285293ed31776eebb5b527833b3587e9.jpg

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

That's crazy! I suppose I'd show him the pointy end of my trekking poles - @Sugar Magnolia, agree with you that they only come out on serious hikes. I'm not so sure I'd ever do anything so strenuous where poles would be necessary via an excursion during a day stop in port. Also, learned a new word today thanks to our British compadres. 

@mking8288, not sure you're a podcast listener like I am. There was a first time Cunard cruiser (Richard Simms - he's the news guy) on Cruise Radio this week. Interesting listen, though he traveled to New England/Canada, aboard the ocean liner queen. I forgot the name of that ship, but am sure the experience will be slightly different. You might pick up something from the episode though - https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-radio-podcast/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@cruiseny4life Thanks for the podcast link, less than a day, will listen to it when we get a chance. 

Going to do UA's OLCI, wanted to wait until later to see the musical chair situation with our pre-assigned seats and possibly moving them.  Strategically, 6 of us have an aisle seat (this is the "new" scheme to improve the odds of, possibly, maybe, having the middle seat vacant for a given flight segment ... being in TA business, you probably knew already)   

Indeed, had to ask Gemini to explain the slang ... aren't some of you finding this an informative "journal" that we are getting deeper, deeper into.  Sugar, morning, and, mine, you are very early. 

Anyway, it's been a few years but twice, on oversea trips - knee cap "protested" and actually tripped on uneven surface.  Not as young as one look and having it around, mainly precautionary as you can't always find or get one.  Sounds like I better "hide" it in the pack or suitcase, TSA doesn't even "blink" but ...  Maybe it's a Cunard and liability issue, given the "typical" demographics and filling out the access (assistance) form to satisfy their insurance underwriting criteria.  If need to use, will use it, no matter what they say.  

Taking it all in strife and going with the flow.  Cheers - I need an iced coffee this morning, no alcohol.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Sugar, morning, and, mine, you are very early. 

I have never been able to sleep more than four hours a night since an infant. Probably explains why I was sent away to school. And it wasn’t fun like Hogwarts. 

Hope you and the family have a safe journey to YVR. I am headed to a magical destination for a few days where there is no clotted cream. Drat. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

That's crazy! I suppose I'd show him the pointy end of my trekking poles - @Sugar Magnolia, agree with you that they only come out on serious hikes. I'm not so sure I'd ever do anything so strenuous where poles would be necessary via an excursion during a day stop in port. Also, learned a new word today thanks to our British compadres...

Crazy? Or dotting i's and crossing t's.

If obvious walking sticks [canes to our US friends] are required to have an assistance form filled out, who is to say hiking sticks would 'get through' without comment, so packed in luggage would be a better safe than sorry scenario.

I used to take a collapsible walking stick with me pre TKR and new regs., in hand luggage. Now if needed [I don't] I'd pack it in hold bags.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Crazy? Or dotting i's and crossing t's.

If obvious walking sticks [canes to our US friends] are required to have an assistance form filled out, who is to say hiking sticks would 'get through' without comment, so packed in luggage would be a better safe than sorry scenario.

I used to take a collapsible walking stick with me pre TKR and new regs., in hand luggage. Now if needed [I don't] I'd pack it in hold bags.

I'm more of the American opinion (at least, I think it's probably more American than European) that corporations can leave me alone, unless I specifically ask for assistance, hence my umbrage at the thought of a jobsworth (LOVE this word, btw - it describes so many folx I've run into) being nosey. 

But yes, I agree - to prevent annoyance, pack the sticks in luggage so as not to be perturbed by some silly employee. 

@mking8288, totally understandable and I'm sure at some point I'll be flailing around without a pole to help me - lord knows, I'll flail about now as it is. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

I don’t think leaving you alone is really an option for a shipping company. They need to know you can get out without help in an emergency, or, if not, what help you would require. 

and it's to do with the safety of others too. Reduced mobility of any kind on the stairs will have a knock on effect of hindering other passengers if no assistance is given to aid evacuation.

All sounds pie in the sky and will probably [hopefully] the scenario  will never happen but like all insurance, it's there for the 'what if' occasion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And imagine the possible litigation.

Hmm.

Against the shipping line or the passenger who hinders on his/her own having not 'booked' assistance!

The mind boggles!!

• Haha 1

@mking8288

I should have remembered this earlier. We decided against returning to Vancouver and taking a QE cruise in 2025, preferring to repeat our 2022 14 day B2B crossings on QM2.

One thing that might have swung it in favour of Vancouver and Alaska would have been if The Cannery Restaurant in Vancouver was still open.

There is apparently a restaurant without the view from The Cannery, but owned by a former chef at The Cannery. Not that far from Richmond, but I imagine there are plenty of good eateries nearer where you are staying.

Of course we've never tried it but if it's half as good as The Cannery ............

I assume it's ok to post this link as it's a sister site to this:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g154943-d1797826-Reviews-Pink_Peppercorn_Seafood_House-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html?m=19905

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@dexddd  here ... 

Screenshot_20240826_173406.thumb.jpg.256432a84d29711ce428c0ed8daba508.jpg

Not a fan of TC, possibly as Kris Phillips in Phamton of the Opera ?  Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals, once upon a time, standing ovations night after night on NCL ...  The rest as you, me and other old-timers know all too well, not the same since.    

Whatever Cunard's got, it is definitely going to more, much more classy than NCL's current live shows.  Granted, never got into Shakespeare in high school ... how I manage to pass that class, a mystery to this date. 

... checking today's UA flight ops again, looking good - tomorrow's connecting flights for us.  Roll Starlight Express and keep going. 

Boarding flight #1 of 2 in about 12 hours from now 

Collage_2024-08-26_17_49_11.thumb.jpg.aee61f3d6e2e21dc16262c3a97a1674a.jpg

Another CC (thanks, @N.E. John from CT) spotted this post from about 18 months ago ... January 2023 as we're sailing away from MCT's Pier 88 (Manhattan, NY for those unfamiliar)   Just imagine ... enjoy these images - the power of imaginations, dream come true (not exactly, but we are taking the Queen next - not Victoria, rather Elizabeth for a cruise.  -  Linked here  -  completely forgotten about it.  

Edited by mking8288